MUSIC IN AN RPG MAKER GAME

Pages: first 123 next last
Do you think less of an RPG Maker game if it uses music ripped from a commercial video game?
What about if it uses the RTP music?
How important do you believe original music is to an RPG Maker game?
I am more concerned with style than the source. If the music fits, use it - that's my motto.

However, my definition of what "fits" happens to include minimizing overplayed music, or identifiable music from a major commercial game. It tends to break the suspension of disbelief.
I'm using the RTP music for my (first ever) game, and it feels strange to play others' games and see that the music I've used, e.g. for my title theme, is used in their game. There's definitely good reason to avoid RTP music if you can.
I agree with kentona - if it fits, it's good.

Whenever I create something, I try to make as much as I can by myself, and that includes music especially, since that's my main interest.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
Original music is one of those things, like custom graphics, that are a nice perk, but something I recognize that most people can't have original music because they're NOT COMPOSERS like most people can't have custom graphics cause they're NOT ARTISTS, so it's not, for instance, something I'd ever take points off for not having in a review.

There is so much good public-domain and little used rips, however, that I see no reason anyone should ever have to resort to the "Squaresoft Sin".
author=kentona link=topic=2102.msg34889#msg34889 date=1222732488
I am more concerned with style than the source. If the music fits, use it - that's my motto.

However, my definition of what "fits" happens to include minimizing overplayed music, or identifiable music from a major commercial game. It tends to break the suspension of disbelief.
Max McGee
I was also going to say, as an addendum to the "NOT EVERYONE IS A COMPOSER" bit, that some of us who are lucky have someone talented like Brandon Abley (or someone) take an interest in their game and throw them a bone by making a few tracks, and when that happens, it is quite nice.

I remembered this when he posted in this topic just now.
I have also found that if you are the first to post in a topic, you get quoted a lot.
I consider music to be pretty important, but it can't be common music. I try to use MP3's that aren't common (or never used in RM before.)
author=AznChipmunk link=topic=2102.msg34916#msg34916 date=1222735032
I consider music to be pretty important, but it can't be common music. I try to use MP3's that aren't common (or never used in RM before.)

Same I tend to look for obscure games with great music :x
author=Max McGee link=topic=2102.msg34908#msg34908 date=1222734182
I was also going to say, as an addendum to the "NOT EVERYONE IS A COMPOSER" bit, that some of us who are lucky have someone talented like Brandon Abley (or someone) take an interest in their game and throw them a bone by making a few tracks, and when that happens, it is quite nice.
Very nice. 8]

Also, I'm inclined to agree with Kentona. If the song in question fits stylistically; I see no shame in using it. People who choose lackluster songs for sake of obscurity astound me.
author=BlindSight link=topic=2102.msg34930#msg34930 date=1222737937
Also, I'm inclined to agree with Kentona. If the song in question fits stylistically; I see no shame in using it. People who choose lackluster songs for sake of obscurity astound me.

It's because... I'm all about the originality. Also, it's not obscure songs = bad songs.
author=AznChipmunk link=topic=2102.msg34938#msg34938 date=1222739965
author=BlindSight link=topic=2102.msg34930#msg34930 date=1222737937

It's because... I'm all about the originality. Also, it's not obscure songs = bad songs.

This.
A lot of obscure games has lots of pretty songs you just don't know it >_>
author=kentona link=topic=2102.msg34889#msg34889 date=1222732488

This is exactly what i would have said. Another quote for Kentona.
The problem with most RM games(IMO) is the fact that people mix musical styles. It seems that there's a tendency to throw together music that are different styles, and it just doesn't work well. Finding obscure music is good too, but the same rules apply.

If you're grabbing music from 5 different video games, they BETTER have a consistent style. I don't want to hear a Super Mario theme mixed with an epic Final Fantasy 7 boss battle and the Xenogears overworld theme.
Max McGee
In the past (when i was praised for my sound design etc.) I used music that was from commerical video games that were like my project in some way; since I don't make video games that are at all like Final Fantasy games, this doesn't put me in danger of commiting the squaresoft sin.
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
I tend to take well-known songs and distort them beyond recognition, my battle theme in 1873 is - get this - a remix of STARMAN.

EDIT: Fair enough.
Max McGee
No offense, dude, but I HATE the music in 1873, at least the battle and menu music. It is painfully unwesterny.
I think people make too big of a deal when it comes to custom material. Not everyone is a composer, nor an artist, nor a programmer, and not everyone wants to be one. Perhaps I'm bitching because I've tried to make a custom game a few years back and everything in it was so god-awful, but still, creating your own stuff (music, chips/charas, systems etc) from scratch is incredibly hard work and not everyone has the time to learn all of that, especially if game creation isn't something they plan to pursue.

That said, I don't care where the music in an RPGM game came from. If it's good and used well, I'm satisfied.

When it comes to music for my games, I definitely look for material that's rarely (if ever) used. I think I'm pretty good at picking tracks, but I was told once that the songs were too "loud"...but if you're going to make a modern game, you need upbeat tracks.
Pages: first 123 next last