POOFREADING IN GAME DEVELOPMENT

Pages: 1
OzzyTheOne
Future Ruler of Gam Mak
Hi there!

I'm going to get straight to the point here, bad grammar can and WILL hit your game when you least expect it. Although I am quite new in this community I've experienced this multiple times in games from this or other sites. Bad grammar can kill an otherwise great game. Therefore I'd like to know your guys' views on this subject and how to best approach it, either as an inexperienced or experienced developer.

I have no idea if I'm posting this in the right forum
Porkate42
Goes inactive at least every 2 weeks
I proof read after typing it, when I see a problem then I use a grammar check website to see if it's incorrect.

Yes I'm that guy who uses a grammar check website.
Well uh my recommendation would be: do it?

(but on a more serious note, I remember tools exist for the older RMs to extract entire game scripts so they can be run through spellcheckers, translated, or just rewritten in a more comfortable editor)
You're always gonna miss something - never forget that. Even the most well-written game is going to miss a few words. Just do it as best you can, then ask for others to do a double-check for you.

Then ask people to LP your game - nothing like watching someone play your game for finding all the bugs and issues in it. If you missed it, someone else won't. Especially when it's out there for everyone to see. :DDD

Honestly, as long as it's not too often, it's forgivable.
Yeah. I proof read my dialogues many times. One time in the source code, after that usually only when playtesting ingame. Whenever I fix a typo, I recompile and play the same section of the game again until I'm satisfied.

...I really hate writing dialogues and reading them though...
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
I'm not sure proofreading helps in my case. A year spent in an English speaking country would.
Read your dialoge well and often. But this is the important part : a while AFTER you have written it. It is like looking at a painting right after you finished it versus a week later.

A little bit of time will give you a different approach and perspective to it, making it a lot easier to spot mistakes. You may also notice a few patterns or personal weakspots that you can be on the lookout for. (like its / it's, or missing single letters because of your typing style)
Putting everything into a file is also a good idea, and using grammar check websites is lovely too. Anything goes.

Then let other people help you out.
Let someone playtest and let them look out for that. There is a stickied list of people who are willing to playtest your game here. Making a blog on your gamepage and asking there works too.
If you know you are bad at spotting your own mistakes, make sure to reach out to people who can. That's perfectly okay.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
Sometimes, I find myself re-wording things for the sake of clarity, or brevity, depending on the situation. Like, if I'm writing something into a message box, and a sentence takes up more room than the message box holds, that, to me, is a sure-fire indication that I need to reconsider how the character is relaying the information. That sometimes means using multiple sentences that would be broken up between multiple message boxes. Sometimes, it means attempting to use fewer words to essentially say the same thing. Sometimes, it's a little bit of both.
OzzyTheOne
Future Ruler of Gam Mak
author=Marrend
Sometimes, I find myself re-wording things for the sake of clarity, or brevity, depending on the situation. Like, if I'm writing something into a message box, and a sentence takes up more room than the message box holds, that, to me, is a sure-fire indication that I need to reconsider how the character is relaying the information. That sometimes means using multiple sentences that would be broken up between multiple message boxes. Sometimes, it means attempting to use fewer words to essentially say the same thing. Sometimes, it's a little bit of both.

This applies to me completely. I was facing the exact same issue while making "Temple of Memories", I had to shorten a lot of dialogue or split the dialogue into multiple dialogue boxes. It can be tedious sometimes, but I think it's absolutely necessary. <.<
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
I always type out the dialog in its own file and C&P it into game once it's gone through a draft or so. Also makes it easier to catch basic spelling errors because I can use spellcheck.

I particularly rec this for people who need a third party to proofread/edit, since it makes things easier on that person.
Pages: 1