DOES IT MATTER THAT WE USE THE CHRISTIAN CROSS IN OUR GAMES?

Pages: first 12 next last
Even if Christianity doesn't exist in our game's world, does it matter?

That is a church, but not exactly of the Christian kind.

I've never thought about this before, until my friend mentioned it while playing my game. I feel like I've seen this cross used in various video games, even though the games have their own made-up and original religions. This leads me to believe that this isn't a big deal, but I think it is.

I'd love to hear some thoughts on this. I'm 90% sure that I'll replace the two crosses in my game just in case of avoiding potential confusion.

Thanks in advance and I apologize if this is a stupid question. Also, I'm sorry if my post is a bit hard to read. I used a couple of different "grammar check" programs and I couldn't find any errors. :(
Kloe
I lost my arms in a tragic chibi accident
Eh, I'm not sure it really matters, I mean it's quite common in video games, and unless you are really looking to find something wrong, or looking for it, it's barely even noticed in most games!
I'm not bothered by it at all, but technically, it doesn't make any sense. :S
Crosses aren't inherently Christian. Google the history for more information.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
This is an interesting question. Is it possible that the cross might be associated with religion in a general sense?
unity
You're magical to me.
I like making my own religious symbols for my world's religions, but that may not be as feasible depending on what you're working with. ^_^
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
It used to bug me, but now it doesn't. The "Christian" cross doesn't mean "Christian" anything. It's just the most immediately recognizable symbol of global religion that players will understand and identify with. Think of all the other games we see the cross in: what immediately comes to mind is Xenogears, since that's what I'm playing. There's a great deal of symbolism that can be called Christian, but playing the game, it clearly isn't Christian. It's easier to use existing symbols than to make new symbols and since all symbols are borrowed from other religions anyway, there's really no major issue with creating new meanings for these symbols. Note that RPG Maker games also make heavy use of the Star of David, which actually finds its origins in Pythagorean philosophy and was most heavily used in alchemy; a study that was eventually pre-empted by Judaism.
you could always edit in a different implement of torture.
Nintendo's censors are going to be very cross with you if you use them!
I'm specifically referring to the Christian cross.

That's very interesting, piano. According to Wikipedia, the Christian cross has existed before the introduction of Christianity. Perhaps it's not such a bad thing to use it after all, since, like you say, it does add some elements of familiarity to our games.

@unity: I would make my own symbol, but I am not that good with my pixels yet. Also, the RTP style feels a bit too advanced for me right now.
In RPGs, it seems to be generally understood, unless the game references Christianity specifically, that the cross represents a general western religious institution, such as how FF used it in the early days.

So instead of the player saying "oh that's a Christian Church" they say "oh, that's a religious building."
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
pianotm: lol xenogears

2edgy4me
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
author=Liberty
Crosses aren't inherently Christian. Google the history for more information.

Apples aren't inherently related to computers, but you definitely think of something specific if I show you this:

author=Gredge109
In RPGs, it seems to be generally understood, unless the game references Christianity specifically, that the cross represents a general western religious institution, such as how FF used it in the early days.

So instead of the player saying "oh that's a Christian Church" they say "oh, that's a religious building."

Japan tends to view Xtian symbology the same way we view Asian mysticism- a weird, catchall woogety thing.

In terms of doing one's own game, just make a new symbol. Heck, gimme five bux and I'll do it for you.
Fiverr: I'll invent a new religion for you
author=Gredge109

Yeah, this is how I see it. I can see how it would bug you, though. If it really bothers you, maybe replace it with an ankh?
not only it doesn't bother me, i'd also never worry about bothering others with it.
I'm free to use crosses in whatever way I wish xD
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
It's also a ward to "evil" undead, which most fantasy games have and I know your games have. It can be a sign of a holy trinity that dispels evil and turns away death. It can be commonly used without a particular religion behind it! :D it's some thing that portrays X that is found in all religions.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
Funnily enough, I was thinking about Xenogears, and how the Ethos gears use an ankh. Possibly on the gears themsleves, but certainly for their Seal ability. Then there's the cross in various scenes that I usually associate with Disk 2 Fei turning into ID.
Mirak
Stand back. Artist at work. I paint with enthusiasm if not with talent.
Use an obscure symbol from any alternate religion.
Like la santa muerte for example. No one has thought about using it.
As long as the cross isn't red no one will care. As for me It's pretty much on the same level as someone calling a Adhesive bandage a Band-Aid or petroleum jelly Vaseline.
Pages: first 12 next last