GAME DESIGN: PROGRESS SKILL TREE.

Pages: 1
Basically, I'm stumped. I'm working on my project tree and I want to make it interesting. The problem I have right now is that it's repetitive and not very compelling since it always follow the same pattern: ability-lock-ability-lock etc...

I'd like to make it interesting. I'm interested in brainstorming with y'all to make this better. Final Fantasy IX grid comes to mind as good design, both visually and gameplay wise.

The dark toast in the middle is the starting point so to speak. The basic idea is that you get keys for every level. You can then use those keys to unlock blocks. I like the basic concept but I want to make it more interesting but I'm drawing a blank here to be honest.
I would grab some ideas from Xenosaga Episode I-II-III since those games did Skill-Trees. That is the only thing I can think of if you need ideas.
Why don't you just put in filler skills instead of locks, and then give people skill points instead of keys like most games do? Or you could even have skills cost differing amount of skill points. Either option is functionally the same as what you're doing, but removes the lock-->skill-->lock problem you have currently.

You could also give both a skill point and key upon level up. That way you could still place some locks around, but at other times you could just have a string of weaker skills. Does someone go for the single lock for a single immediate skill, or the triple lock for the three skills hiding behind?

Don't forget you can have different paths to the same set of skills as well.

Just some thoughts. Nothing original, I know.
Why don't you just put in filler skills instead of locks, and then give people skill points instead of keys like most games do? Or you could even have skills cost differing amount of skill points. Either option is functionally the same as what you're doing, but removes the lock-->skill-->lock problem you have currently.

Yes, I suppose you're right. The reason why I did that was to make every upgrade really "worth" it and avoid less interesting upgrades.

But yeah, you're on to something here I believe.
Pages: 1