HELLO AGAIN (A DECADE LATER)

Pages: 1
Hi,

I used to be active in the community back in 2002, and tapered off until I pretty much stopped being active in 2009.

I used to run an RPG Maker site called Kobra's Realm, but I wasn't very good at managing anything and certainly wasn't much of a community leader. I've spent the past few years learning computer security and cryptography instead of game development, but I'm thinking about getting back into it.

So, how have things been? I see RPG Maker games popping up on Steam all the time. Is now a good time to get back into the swing of hobby game development? Or has the luster been eroded by the sands of time?
Hello :D

And...

author=Kobra
I've spent the past few years learning computer security and cryptography

Cool! I owe you a beer and a burger!
InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
Welcome back! I joined 2009 after lurking for a bit. :D
Thanks for the welcome!

I do have some questions:

1. Has package/dependency management been solved yet? (i.e. for community-provided RGSS scripts)
2. What's the most exciting project being developed right now?

Kloe
I lost my arms in a tragic chibi accident
author=voodooKobra
Thanks for the welcome!

I do have some questions:

1. Has package/dependency management been solved yet? (i.e. for community-provided RGSS scripts)
2. What's the most exciting project being developed right now?

I had a post but then Google Chrome Crashed, so I'll make this quick.
Welcome to RMN, yada yada, Welp Forum, yada yada, Slack, tl;dr HIYA!!

1: I have no idea what that means, sorry
2: All the games in the McBacon Jam (Team "MightbeMagic?" ftw!), maybe Hero's Realm Commercial version, and there's a game called Caught by Allure that I have my eye on.
author=Kloe
1: I have no idea what that means, sorry

That's okay.

Imagine you wanted to write a script for your game that does something incredibly difficult. Like, isometric (pseudo-3D) transformation for the world map, with elevation changes when you fly an Airship.

Oh hey, there's a script for that. Cool.

Six months later, the person who wrote the script releases and update to fix an annoying crash. How do you test/validate/update your copy of the script?

A dependency management system will let you:

1. Automatically update to the latest version.
2. Pin to a specific version, in case the newest version contains an incompatible change.
3. Ideally, guarantee the authenticity of the script/library you're importing (i.e. the server wasn't hacked and you aren't adding a trojan to your project before you ship it to the players). In the real world, very few dependency management systems even try to tackle this.

This is one of those "kind of computer sciencey but not taught in computer science classes" subjects, so don't feel bad if it's new.
Kloe
I lost my arms in a tragic chibi accident
No, I'm preeeeeeeeeetty sure we don't have that, that sounds way too high tech for RMN... haha :D
author=Kloe
No, I'm preeeeeeeeeetty sure we don't have that, that sounds way too high tech for RMN... haha :D

Well, I'll just have to build it then. :]
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
Holy shinto, it's voodookobra!

You might (emphasis on *might*) remember me as Vale on KR, around 2004-5ish.

Good to have you here sir! I've accepted your Slack invite. Would be nice to see you show up!
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Hello. I wasn't here a decade ago. I've only been here for 3 years, but it's a pleasure to make your acquaintance, sir or ma'am!
Holy crap, here's a blast from the past and a half. You probably don't remember me from way back then (my name hasn't changed but I was a quiet one) but I do recall you! Welcome back!
I, too, had an account on Kobra's Realm, back when I was branching out from gamingw

2006-7ish?

Welcome back to the scene.
Despite
When the going gets tough, go fuck yourself.
I remember Kobras realm! WB mate.
OzzyTheOne
Future Ruler of Gam Mak
Welcome back! Although I'm still fresh to this site it's nice to see an old member come back after so long. I hope you can restart ejoying all the cool stuff here.

Have a nice day!
Pages: 1