[RMMV] RANDOM ENCOUNTER WITH FOE APPEARING ON SCREEN!

Pages: 1
Well, I'll start by saying I hate so much random encounters, mostly because they just get me by surprise in the worst timing and I get so annoyed feeling my game being blocked from me, but I was thinking in a system where the enemy will appear on screen in the form of a cloud with the "approach player" set. You can't identify the foe, but it's there.

(just a rough skeleton)

You can see the cloud on screen so you can go away from it if you want to. The foe would be randomized between the possibilities of that area, if you touch it. What do you think about it? I think it would make the battles be more varied and surprising from the beginning.

It would also help our artist a lot, since he wouldn't have to customize a foe sprite for each one of them.

A short note is that our enemies are all "nightmares" the dungeons can be set in any kind of place and theme, since they're 'dreamy-like' spaces and the objective of the dungeons is to achieve the Shrine, so the MC can pray with the "little nightmares" (an item) he gathered from the foes.

Would this work? Any suggestions? Would using a single cloud sprite for every possible encounter other than static bossfights bore the player?
It works. It's been done before. The only thing to keep in mind is the amount of enemies scattered around, where they're placed and how fast they move. I'd recommend doing something like blocking off important treasure routes with a cloud and having a few wander around (some towards hero at a slower/slow pace, some just random movement) and maybe a few that will chase you if you get too close.

If you want to do random encounters without the 'scare' of having them be unannounced, you can always create a gauge that shows how close you are to triggering an encounter, and maybe add some items that decrease the gauge (you will need at least a bit of scripting for that).

Also keep in mind that with less enemies on the map, the amount of EXP/Gold will need to be upped so that your players can still progress with learning skills and gaining levels (if they're a thing in your game, of course).

Always allow the player to be able to dodge a fair amount of your battles (if they want to grind they can come back to them) when doing on-map enemies, otherwise it feels too much like an excess of battles.

Also, keep in mind that you should think about whether the enemies can respawn (after leaving the map/area/time limit) and adjust based on that. For example, if they respawn after a time limit, having a lot less on the maps is fine. If there's a set amount in the whole game, make sure that they give enough EXP to get your player to where they need to be in levels and such.

Another neat idea is the one taken from Earthbound where if you're a certain level enemies instantly die on touch and just give you the gold/EXP they would have given you. This is usually when you're a few levels higher than the enemy and they don't give much of either and can't really do much damage to you/be a challenge. It makes the game feel a bit more like it's rewarding you for having fought the enemies earlier and gotten up those levels.
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

It is very possible.

If you want to know how to do it you can have a look at my game which is not encrypted. (Though you'll need to adapt it to a non tactics game, the variable system is still the same. ie. when you touch an enemy you will encounter a random troop found in that area.)

https://www.rpgmaker.net/games/8483/

Edit:

I'm also an idiot and realized that if you don't own Ace then you can't see how the event is done. If you need screen shots of the events PM me.
@Liberty
It works. It's been done before. The only thing to keep in mind is the amount of enemies scattered around, where they're placed and how fast they move. I'd recommend doing something like blocking off important treasure routes with a cloud and having a few wander around (some towards hero at a slower/slow pace, some just random movement) and maybe a few that will chase you if you get too close.
Yea, enemies' movement will consider their locations at all times, either moving randomly, standing still in one place, approaching only at a certain distance, spawning when certain events happen (such as opening chests and doors), or just moving in circles.

Also keep in mind that with less enemies on the map, the amount of EXP/Gold will need to be upped so that your players can still progress with learning skills and gaining levels (if they're a thing in your game, of course).
Well, EXP is rather tricky in our game. We don't have levels affecting stats at all. Each level will give the player an ability (called Lineage skills, each very specific for each character) while other 'generic' abilities are learned by equipping cards onto weapons and armor.
Stats instead are gained by consuming certain items (gained by means of quests, finding them in dungeons, giving items received through exploration to NPCs). You may also increase your characters' stats by "sacrificing" little nightmares at Shrines, which are also collected in many places, specially through killing enemies.

Always allow the player to be able to dodge a fair amount of your battles (if they want to grind they can come back to them) when doing on-map enemies, otherwise it feels too much like an excess of battles.
About dodging enemies, we want to allow the player to do that but not always, enemies will sometimes just block passages and patrol around damaging floors.

Also, keep in mind that you should think about whether the enemies can respawn (after leaving the map/area/time limit) and adjust based on that. For example, if they respawn after a time limit, having a lot less on the maps is fine. If there's a set amount in the whole game, make sure that they give enough EXP to get your player to where they need to be in levels and such.
We're planning to only allow respawning of enemies through exiting/entering rooms, this indeed might apply.

Another neat idea is the one taken from Earthbound where if you're a certain level enemies instantly die on touch and just give you the gold/EXP they would have given you. This is usually when you're a few levels higher than the enemy and they don't give much of either and can't really do much damage to you/be a challenge. It makes the game feel a bit more like it's rewarding you for having fought the enemies earlier and gotten up those levels.
Since levels won't play direct part into characters strength (only making them more versatile from abilities learned), this wouldn't really work in our game.

@kory_toombs
It is very possible.

If you want to know how to do it you can have a look at my game which is not encrypted. (Though you'll need to adapt it to a non tactics game, the variable system is still the same. ie. when you touch an enemy you will encounter a random troop found in that area.)

https://www.rpgmaker.net/games/8483/

Edit:

I'm also an idiot and realized that if you don't own Ace then you can't see how the event is done. If you need screen shots of the events PM me.
Oh, that's a good idea! I'll check it later and if I have any doubts, I'll contact you! ;)
As Liberty said, it works perfectly fine like that and was done before many time (in fact I think there are more RMN games that use a single sprite for all monsters than there are games that have a separate sprite depending on monster you encounter).

If you asked me personally, I'd say that the perfect implementation of non-random encounter I'm seen so far is in SaGaFrontier. In that game monsters are categorizes into the races Beast, Plant, Reptile, Insect, Bird, Slime, Undead, Human and Mec and each race has its own sprite. So there's not one sprite for each monster but only one for all monsters of a race. Also each race has its own out-of-battle movement pattern you need to learn to be able to successfully dodge it. The encounters inside the battles are still random just like you planned for you game with the exception that at least one monster is of the race that fits to the sprite touched.
author=RyaReisender
As Liberty said, it works perfectly fine like that and was done before many time (in fact I think there are more RMN games that use a single sprite for all monsters than there are games that have a separate sprite depending on monster you encounter).

If you asked me personally, I'd say that the perfect implementation of non-random encounter I'm seen so far is in SaGaFrontier. In that game monsters are categorizes into the races Beast, Plant, Reptile, Insect, Bird, Slime, Undead, Human and Mec and each race has its own sprite. So there's not one sprite for each monster but only one for all monsters of a race. Also each race has its own out-of-battle movement pattern you need to learn to be able to successfully dodge it. The encounters inside the battles are still random just like you planned for you game with the exception that at least one monster is of the race that fits to the sprite touched.

That's a rather interesting way of doing random battles, but we were thinking of categorizing enemies with different cloud colors depending on their difficulty, rather than enemy type.
For example: if you find a blue cloud, it should call a random encounter from a set of 'easier' troops while a red one calls the 'harder' troops, but I can only find a way to keep this random if they're region-based.
Yeah, that's easy enough. I've done it before (with butterflies, but still, same idea). It works out well as long as you communicate to your player what each colour means and so forth.
author=Liberty
Yeah, that's easy enough. I've done it before (with butterflies, but still, same idea). It works out well as long as you communicate to your player what each colour means and so forth.

Do you have any idea on how to do it, though? We're struggling a little xD (we only know how to manage plugins, there's a way of doing it with eventing or such?)
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
How about the graphics, themselves? Like, you have a basic "cloud" graphic. Can't you make copies of that, and re-color the copies?

As for how the encounters would actually function, well, the way I would do it would be to call a Common Event to randomize which Troop players are actually going to face. The fact that there's "easy" and "hard" encounters translates to me as there being two separate Common Events for each type of encounter players can face in a given area. I would suggest creating at least one instance of an "easy" encounter-event on a map, and one instance of a "hard" encounter-event, and you could probably copy-paste from there. Maybe that's on the lazy side, but, I doubt anybody would want to create each and every encounter-event from scratch!
SunflowerGames
Something like this

The event graphics needs to be same as character, player touch.
Common event
control switch
(second page blank)

Common event

control variable random number between 1-5 (or whatever

condition branches
if variable is = 1
if variable = 2
blah blah blah...

Here's a picture, ignore the transfer player thing unless you are doing a different kind of battle system.

You don't even need to do that, Kory.

Have the enemies in the database all in a group of the ones you want to randomise in an area, then make a Variable for picking a random monster group. Set it to random between the numbers of the group that you want a monster picked from. Then in Battle Conditions use the 'by Variable' choice to point to that Variable.

Very basically, in this example, monsters from the Forest groups are picked at random by the variable each time you run into an encounter and fought. The switch at the end turns on the "Not Alive" page of the battle (when you've killed the monster) and you can then turn them all off when you leave the area so that the monsters respawn.

It works in 2k/3, Ace and MV, too.
SunflowerGames

@Liberty, didn't know you could do that. I figured my method out after figuring out how to make random treasure chest loot. Your way is limited to only battles. My method could also make something else happen besides a battle. ie. bump into monster = interesting conversation, etc...
Well yes if you want something that isn't battles, but I figured since this was ONLY about battles I'd share the optimal way to do it.

(Oh, you can also use this when it comes to items if you want to give random items out from treasure chests, since items can be given based on variable number~)
SunflowerGames

Imagine making a game that was completely based on random variables:
(If you made like 50 for each no play through would be the same.)

Starting Party
Parameters
Skills
Dungeon Progression
Enemies
Items
Story Elements
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
Huh. How did I not notice "Designation with a variable" before? Welp.
author=Liberty
You don't even need to do that, Kory.

Have the enemies in the database all in a group of the ones you want to randomise in an area, then make a Variable for picking a random monster group. Set it to random between the numbers of the group that you want a monster picked from. Then in Battle Conditions use the 'by Variable' choice to point to that Variable.

Very basically, in this example, monsters from the Forest groups are picked at random by the variable each time you run into an encounter and fought. The switch at the end turns on the "Not Alive" page of the battle (when you've killed the monster) and you can then turn them all off when you leave the area so that the monsters respawn.

It works in 2k/3, Ace and MV, too.

This is genius! Works perfectly and is far less of a hassle to set up, just need to organize my troops as well as the ones in your picture.

Thank you all for the help, really appreciate it!
Happy to help! Good luck with your gammak~
Pages: 1