MACBETH PARALLAX MAPPING SHOWCASE

Pages: first 12 next last
My "personal" space to show my work as a parallax mapper! I hope you all enjoy and of course i accept any critic and comment :)

Let's start with this, made with Celianna tiles resized for MV! For all Castlevania lovers :D

InfectionFiles
the world ends in whatever my makerscore currently is
Damn, that looks nice!

I like that the fountains and the grass hedges(that's what they are?) aren't mirrored on both sides, very nice.
Mirak
Stand back. Artist at work. I paint with enthusiasm if not with talent.
It looks awesome to be honest but yes, i don't know why the angel is projecting a shadow if it's enveloped in darkness and there's no light source that can project a shadow in that direction

just one example

I do love the design and composition of the mapping though, it looks pretty good.
author=Sated
Most of those shadows don't make any sense.

i'm a big fan of shadows so i probably use too many of them XD first time i use Celianna tiles too, lucky that i placed them on a separate layer :P

author=Mirak
It looks awesome to be honest but yes, i don't know why the angel is projecting a shadow if it's enveloped in darkness and there's no light source that can project a shadow in that direction

just one example

I do love the design and composition of the mapping though, it looks pretty good.

Thanks a lot Mirak!
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Mostly awesome, but you guys are right. Now that I've seen them, those shadows can't be unseen.
Here is a daytime view of the place :) i've removed those shadows haha i hope it looks better with vivid colors

InfectionFiles
I definitely like the daylight better
author=InfectionFiles
I definitely like the daylight better

Thank you :)
I quite like the grass where it doesn't border the tiles. Where it does... it feels like it should actually take into consideration the tiles and grow over/around them more naturally. Currently it looks like you made the grass area and just plonked the tiles over the top in the default map mode. It doesn't mix that well.

Same to say of the bottom of the lamp posts - if they've been there long enough for the grass to be so lush, it should be overlapping at the bottom of them a bit. Actually, for pretty much everything that the grass touches.

Another small nitpick is that humans tend to build stuff that mirrors - the differences between the width between the left and right paths feels weird (how the hedge on the left has no space whilst the hedge on the right has a space between it and the middle). It just feels off.

That said, these are nitpicks. The image is quite pretty, even if the tree/hedge tiles have some issues with looking blurry (not your fault). I quite like the inclusion of the small tufts of white flowers and dirt. One of the nicest floor parallaxes I've seen to date.
InfectionFiles
Oh yeah, to Liberty's first point with the grass, it's really obvious or off above the Angel statue on the left side.

Still really beautiful
author=Liberty
I quite like the grass where it doesn't border the tiles. Where it does... it feels like it should actually take into consideration the tiles and grow over/around them more naturally. Currently it looks like you made the grass area and just plonked the tiles over the top in the default map mode. It doesn't mix that well.

Same to say of the bottom of the lamp posts - if they've been there long enough for the grass to be so lush, it should be overlapping at the bottom of them a bit. Actually, for pretty much everything that the grass touches.

Another small nitpick is that humans tend to build stuff that mirrors - the differences between the width between the left and right paths feels weird (how the hedge on the left has no space whilst the hedge on the right has a space between it and the middle). It just feels off.

That said, these are nitpicks. The image is quite pretty, even if the tree/hedge tiles have some issues with looking blurry (not your fault). I quite like the inclusion of the small tufts of white flowers and dirt. One of the nicest floor parallaxes I've seen to date.

Thank you a lot for your comment! I will take into consideration your idea for the flooring!
Time to show another work! Behold...the fire temple! Made using default RPG Maker MV tiles with some modified trees by Pandamaru and some personal work on the flooring :) hope you all enjoy it!

It's Christmas time! And i love it

One thing that always annoys me when it comes to light effects is just how dark people make them. For example, that many candles would light up the area around the table a LOT more than it is. The christmas tree lights would brighten that area up more, too.

Hell, in my kitchen I've got one of those water-cooler/purifier things with a green/blue display. That shit lights up the room enough to walk through half-asleep without killing yourself. When I have the air conditioner on at night, the green-lit display makes it easy to navigate through my room (same with the modem lights for my computer when my screen sleeps). The street light on the next door neighbours area shines through my window and makes sleeping impossible without heavy curtains blocking the light. A fire can light up a whole room (trust me, I've had fireplaces all my life).

People underestimate just how little light we need in order to see shit pretty well in the dark. A good idea is to make the darkness layer a bit more transparent instead of straight black.

Sorry, just something that's been annoying me lately now that I've noticed it. XD

Otherwise, I really like what I can see of the map. The tree is lovely, too, and I love the windows. Great job.
Great work with the Fire temple, the floor it's simply full of awesome and really looks too hot tostep barefo... step at all, actually.
The trees feel a little too dark in comparison with the rest of the scene though.

----
Turned the lights off here to make a lights test, somewhat surprised about the range of a single lighter(or a candle) have. x3
But as aspiring graphic maker, I'll toss some cents that using the "real" vaules probably would make the lightning feel simple overall, light sources blending too much into each other.
For example, the Xmas tree looks awesome because you can see it's tiny lights at work, those would be dim under the real firepower(pun intended) of the candles and fireplace, also like the "24fps and motion blur" history, people are too used to these dark levels by now and would probably argue think that the place is too bright overall for a night scene.

Thank you both for your nice and detailed comments! I totally agree with the "too dark maps" thing, also because these days people make too dark places to hide rough parts or something :D i'm glad that the Christmas Tree effect is good! It's my "first time" with a Christmas themed map so i'm open to every comment! Thank again :)
@Kevin: You can lighten it without making the lights blur together or wash each other out. Pretty easily too. Just don't use black as your 'darkness' colour and make that one more transparent.

Also, I doubt people are used to dark levels. People still complain about games like Dishonoured 2 being far too dark. I mean, really now. There's atmospheric, and then there's blinding your players. :/

@Macbeth: It does look great. I'm just pointing out something that has recently occurred to me after going through a bunch of screenshot threads on other sites. XD
@Macbeth: It does look great. I'm just pointing out something that has recently occurred to me after going through a bunch of screenshot threads on other sites. XD

Haha i totally understand that, quite common also and i've seen that too
Damn...those maps are beautiful. I wish I understood parallax mapping and make maps like this.
Pages: first 12 next last