RMN EVENTS THAT YOU ENJOYED THE MOST, WISH YOU ENTERED, AND ONES THAT YOU COULD HAVE DONE BETTER IN

Pages: first 12 next last
One of the most fantastic and most exciting things about RMN compared to other sites around here is definitely the high abundance of different types of events that we host that rewards its participants in it with achievement badges, makerscore, and sometimes even possible prizes for winning such events. These events can range from making a quick game with a particular theme in mind in under a certain time limit on a team or just by yourself, review and article writing events that test your writing prowess skills - or something on the realm of weird that has you do something that you would least expect doing. This is one of the most wonderful things about RMN that allows its users to challenge themselves but to also have some fun along the way thanks to these wide array of different but creative events.

So I’m sure that the couple of you guys around here have entered a few already in the past, or maybe missed out on entering one that you really regret now that you should have joined before, or an event that you entered but you really feel like you could have done a lot better in. Well - that’s what this thread is here for, as we discuss everything that is RMN Events.

As for me, my favorite event that I really enjoyed the most has to be the Game Name Game event that we had back in 2014 where users would have to take a random, silly title name provided by one of the users and turn that said name into a mockup of an actual game. Now, usually when it comes to anything game making related, especially when it comes to events, I usually tend not to enter any of them, considering that I’m pretty slow and feel quite uncomfortable when it comes to making something under a time limit, but I decided to join this one anyways because I suggested a name of an idea that I had that was eligible for me to take - and I couldn’t say no. The results of that was the emergence of one, Brian Okam’s Free Throw Challenge and me learning how to work on something under pressure and within a certain time frame, which I got a lot more done than anything that I’ve ever completed before in the same amount of time. It gave me more of an appreciation to those who can create some of these kind of events games under a certain time limit, and it made me more aware that I can get a lot more stuff done faster if I just cut to the chase and not worry about all the small details. The result of the event landed me an extra achievement for people’s choice and a new game, that’s currently still being worked on, to the family catalogue.

And for one’s that I wished I could have entered back then, I’ll definitely say the Game Page Workshop, Aim For The Stars, Craze And LockeZ’s Boss Battle Event and probably the Super Smash Bros. Tournaments that we had that I skipped out on. The Game Page Workshop would have a been great way to bring back an old game that I’ve been working on for the past few years and finally upload a game page for it and do some pretty CSS stuff along the way, but this was around the time I started to have some personal problems and stuff at home, and I hadn’t touched my game in the past couple of months by then and I still felt a little bit uncomfortable showcasing the thing at its present state, so I skipped out on the event. Aim For The Stars I could have done, since it was pretty similar to the RMN Plays Event but with musical entries this time around. I’m not the greatest person in the world when it comes to describing about music in detail, but I think I could have probably done it and least given it a try. I guess I skipped out on this because of that notion. The Craze and LockeZ Boss Battle thing didn’t really require that much effort on our parts other than picking a side and earning a free achievement for it – and who doesn’t like a free achievement. (I would have voted for Craze, BTW.) And the Super Smash Bros. Tournaments I would have entered if I had more time to play on my Wii U during the time and my time zone wasn’t all f**ked up, but, *sigh*, oh well...plus I'm pretty bad with Ganondorf.

As for the events that I think I could have done better in, it’s has to be the RMN Plays Event and Summer Review Jam events. I only played and commented on three games during the entire RMN Plays Event, and I could have done a lot more during that time but I think I was just too burnt out and needed a break and didn’t bother much. Still, if I did at least eight or ten of those things, I would be like in the top 5 in overall achievements now. Same with the Summer Review Jam event; I could have gotten the other four previous jams but I didn’t enter the event until midway through and only picked up around half of the achievements for it, which blows.

Anyways – what events did you enjoy the most entering in? Were there any events that you wished that you could have participated in? And what events could you have done better in?
Kloe
I lost my arms in a tragic chibi accident
I love the RMN birthday events, I enjoyed the one I've entered in, and Halloween Jam, Mcbacon was fun because teams too!
Oh dear... so many. So many events.

It's hard for me to be unbiased in this, since I came up with and ran a lot of the events, and naturally I would think that the ones I came up with are super-cool. So maybe I will just highlight a few things.

I love all of the Super RMN Bros. events. People complained (mightily!) that the resultant game(s) were subpar, but that was not the point of the event. It was the unadulterated fun of experimenting with a new engine at the same time as dozen of other people, and the collective excitement and interest RMN had in it. With all due respect to halibabica and the mad work he does to make these games shine, the final game was never the draw the for me. Getting a wide swath of people working in an unfamiliar engine but on a familiar game concept (who doesn't know Mario??) was a blast. The kooky, wonky, weird, incoherent and occasionally crappy stuff we made was all great! I don't think we've ever had an event that got so much of the community working together and participating in as the first Super RMN Bros. It will always be a success in my mind.

In a similar vein, the Befuddle Quest events are a favorite of mine. I was inspired by the ALEX events at GamingW for BQ - in those ALEX events, anybody could submit a single map with whatever wacky stuff they wanted, and it was all smooshed into a single game. In BQ, people were again limited to making a single map, but it had to be a puzzle or minigame of somesort, and then I smooshed it all together and slapped on a "story" to tie it together. Quality and complexity was all over the place, and coherence was hard to find, but again - not the point!

The final one I want to showcase is the first RMN Music Challenge, run by Happy. It was a brilliant way for people to try out composing videogame music, and had a ton of participants! This all eventually lead to the creation of the RMN Music Pack, an ambitious and well-received endeavour that has had a lasting impact on RMN.

https://rpgmaker.net/events/rpg_music_challenge/

https://rpgmaker.net/musicpack/

As for ones I regret not participating in (so many!), the foremost among them are the McBaconJam events. But I know that I could never commit the time to them, and would just end up letting down my teammate(s).

EDIT:
also
NeverSilent
Got any Dexreth amulets?
I always enjoy the review drive events, because they give me the motivation I need to actually, you know, write reviews. Also, the first time I submitted anything to the site was during the Reviewrim event in early 2014.
The Fundamental RPGology contest was also an interesting experience, and I didn't even do too bad in it. Though looking back, I kind of hate the battle system I made for it, and it may have had the side effect that I've grown to somewhat dislike traditional turn-based combat in general. (There still are exceptions.)

I really wish I had had the time to enter the Revive the Dead event, since I've got a ton of unfinished projects sitting on my computer, and a few of those ideas are even decent enough that I'd like to turn them into a full game at some point. The Game Name Game and the RMventure events were also among the ones I really would have liked to enter (the latter even gave me the idea for a game that I'm still planning on creating someday).

The most memorable event for me was definitely the first McBacon Jam. On the one hand, making a game together with a team of awesome people was a great experience. On the other hand, that period of almost non-stop work on our project left me completely burnt out for a long time afterwards. And I still think I could have done a lot better, since part of my contributions turned out not so great, and I still feel a little guilty that our game was never completed.

Oh, and then there was the Anti-Procrastination Initiative that I organised. That went pretty well, actually. I should do that again sometime.
Oh events. I LOVE rmn events.

I joined up around the Reviewjam period, so sometime after the reviewrim. It was a bold summer and I wasn't feeling well -
Oh right, the events.

I like review events tho Review Fantasy IX was overkill, I was really burned out afterwards and didn't want to touch any games or review anything for months.

I really liked Fundamental RPGology as well, I was a judge for that in fact. I loved being able to exchange with Hasvers a while.
And while I don't think the ultimate bestest way came out of it, I really appreciate the approach to it and it did make me rethink design quite a bit.
I still believe a lot of fun and depth can be added outside of it, and the felt flavor can still be fun. Very nice and complimenting to that approach of mine, really.

My favorite has to be the MOG event. It got me rocket-started into pixelart and because of the event duress I improved so much so fast it was a very satisfying experience.
I since rest on that little experience and I do okay! When I need to *chuckle* It's lovely to have a little bit of routine to do more with it.
Not to mention a few games came out of it as well! I loved The End.

Release Something XIV was nice because I could comment on all kinds of peeps and get a sneak peak of what they do (you'd think I'd know most peoples' style because I play tons of games. I play so few games of the well-known people here : D)
Also, I got comments on my drawings/sketches which is .. rare and wonderful : )
Now I want to sketch more.

Similarily Netsop Kids Design the Darndest Things is an amazing thing.

I did play a number of contest games and I wish I could have seen them in the workings : D So many bday theme events that just made fun things.

I gave it my all whenever I entered. I remember posting reviews staying at a clinic somewhere so.. yeah, I am satisfied with my haul.

Also, the RMNplays event was bullshit lol. It was generous, but the achievment count has never been the same haha. I am number one since (I could have gotten that otherwise too! : D who knows)

Special shoutout for aim for the stars. I really liked the focus on feedback too (I wanted to post more on the other, but giving multiple hundreds of tunes a go .. that's rough).
It was a really good scope for it too, so I hope something like this can come around again.
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
I liked pixelling kentona's kid's monsters. Also the 3 hour jam because simple, super-limited stuff like that is awesome.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
ITT: "Whichever events I made a successful game in were the best events"
I did best at the Fundamental RPGology event, taking second place, which was kinda amazing. ^_^ The small game I made for it remains one of my weaker games, but the combat system was pretty great.

The MOG event was what I enjoyed most. I remember seeing so, so many fun retro spritesets and thought "I want to use all of them...Wait, why NOT use all of them?". It led to me making of of my most unique and weird games, which still gives me a case of the "feels" when I replay it. It took me my whole winter break that year to turn something out for it, but it felt like it was TRULY worth it.

However, the RPGmaker Lite Cook Off was ultimately the best experience. It taught me so much about actually making a game. It taught me the value of deadlines, and how to downscope to get the distilled essence of the game I want to make. It taught me just how useful criticism is, even if the criticism is very harsh. After a lackluster initial release, I updated the everloving hell out of the game, and now it's one of my best ones, going so far as for someone to literally make a TVtropes page for it, accomplishing a life goal. It also led to me making the setting of that world my main setting, which is still so full of promise.

As for the events that I'm sorry I missed? ALL of the ones I missed. All of them. Every time I joined an event, I made something cool, and I have yet to complete a game not made for an event (outside of a minigame I made for a LARP I'm part of). So to have to miss so many events because of school means so many games I didn't get to make and finish. It feels like a tragedy. *Sighs as he looks at the winter sidequest event he can't be part of, because Applied Ordinary Differential Equations is on his schedule*

author=LockeZ
ITT: "Whichever events I made a successful game in were the best events"

:P Am I the exception that proves the rule, then?

Because the event I cherish most was the one in which I did worst in and got absolutely REAMED on video by one of the judges. XD
Yer just too badass aegix ; )

That right there shows true character and integrity : D

ALSO, I love your MOG game hehehe.
The ar-pee-gou-lo-jee event was the first one I joined here, and it was a blast. I got fourth and all, unexpectedly. I did learn quite a bit thanks to that event.

Considering I haven't joined that many events, I don't really have ones I'd like to see improvements in.

I do wish I joined that MOG event though. The entire thing, I mean. I popped in for the Graphics portion, but eventually dropped out.
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
Hasver's event was the first I joined, it was great and I had absolutely no idea how to do anything in RM (I'm still terrible with the engine). And it was a real pain for me to communicate in English too. I remember writing a broken comment for hours. It was definitely a more focused event, which led us to think more about our games and game design in general. Winterruption may be doing vaguely something similar right now.

Events, which I joined an liked the most are all gammak events. I could do better in most of them. Birthday events are great fun and same goes for McBacons. My favorite was probably The Golden Week.
From many great events I missed Swapsies was probably the one, I would like to join the most. Also before I joined here, Lite Cook Off had some great limitations. I'm likely to make a pseudo entry for the event.
There was an event a long, long, loooong time ago. I'm thinking 2008 or so. It even predates the Past Events chronicle.

It was a Boss Battle showcase where participants uploaded a video to youtube of a boss fight in their game (or something made up). 10-minutes was the YT max back then, so that was as big as it could go. There were 20-30 entries, the majority of which just from people's games, showing either cool technicals, neat graphics and anims, high drama, or just making you laugh from silliness.

Nothing like it's been done since and it's such a simple concept.
We should use the YT channel more often, and something like that would be cool.
author=Dyhalto
There was an event a long, long, loooong time ago. I'm thinking 2008 or so. It even predates the Past Events chronicle.

It was a Boss Battle showcase where participants uploaded a video to youtube of a boss fight in their game (or something made up). 10-minutes was the YT max back then, so that was as big as it could go. There were 20-30 entries, the majority of which just from people's games, showing either cool technicals, neat graphics and anims, high drama, or just making you laugh from silliness.

Nothing like it's been done since and it's such a simple concept.

Same. The Boss Battle Contest Entry I believe? I enjoyed those games :(
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Should there be another boss battle contest? I would enjoy organizing and judging it. My old ones were just in the forums. I haven't done one since we got official events, which was indeed a long time ago. The one with videos was run by someone else though, not me.
Summoner of Sounds was really nice event on my mind. Unfortunately the event itself was not finished, but still I enjoyed composing for every challenge there were.
I'm for a boss battle event. I don't know much about the previous event, but sometjing like this is a good exercise, at the very least :)
NeverSilent
Got any Dexreth amulets?
author=Shade_Hunter
Summoner of Sounds was really nice event on my mind. Unfortunately the event itself was not finished, but still I enjoyed composing for every challenge there were.

That reminds me: Since we don't know where Happy disappeared to and whether he'll come back, what are the official plans regarding RMN Music Pack 2 now, if there are any? I think it would be a shame not to try and make that project a reality, but we would probably need a few dedicated and music-savvy people to help organise and judge such an event. Any input or opinion on this from the staff?
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
I kinda wonder what I would come out with if I had the time for Swap in the Middle With You. Same with Winterruption.

That aside, I'm a pretty big fan of the McBacon Jams, even if only one game out of the three that I've been involved in could be considered "completed".

As for Summoner of Sounds, I'm afraid I don't really know. I've been busy with real life crap of late.
Pages: first 12 next last