ANOTHER COOL VX ACE/MV THING I JUST NOTICED THAT EVERYONE PROBABLY ALREADY KNOWS.

Pages: 1
Trihan
"It's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly...timey wimey...stuff."
...did you guys know that when you use a restorative item on a party member, it uses the highest pharmacology percentage of everyone in your party who isn't incapacitated? I thought the PHA stat only affected the user.

On the offchance that anyone else is as late to the party as me, this basically means that if you have even one party member with, say, 500% pharmacology, then no matter who uses a potion or ether or whatever, it'll be 5 times stronger than normal.

Not really all that impressive a fact, but I just found this out and thought it was a neat feature.

Edit: This actually has some interesting potential side-effects. Say you have an item that restores some MP at the cost of HP, and the damage it does is a.atk (the user attacks themselves when using it basically) it will actually use the attack power of the party member with highest pha as well.
unity
You're magical to me.
Wow, that certainly changes how I'd want to use the PHA stat. I had an idea for a character who was a chemist in a future game, and so I was going to use that on them, but if it affects the whole party and they're in the party for the whole game, then that kind of makes that less special than "this character has to use the item to get a boost" (though I suppose the fact that the character has to be alive is pretty cool, though!)
PHA (Pharmacology) is my favorite stat in VXA/MV
Trihan
It actually really screws up items that restore a percentage of the user's HP/MP if your pharmacology actor has a lower max than the person using the item. XD

Though I suppose to be fair if the boost is high enough it might still end up restoring more than it would have otherwise.
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
The highest Pharmacology value of a party member only seems to apply outside of battle. I tested it in my game (since one of my characters has a Pharmacology boost), and outside of battle, the highest party member's Pharm rate applies. In battle, though, the pharm rate depends on the user.

Still though, I didn't know this. Good find, Trihan!
Trihan
Sorry, yeah, I should have specified that this only applies in the menu. The battle scene treats item use differently in the code.
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
Since we're here, let's figure out exactly how RM determines this, eh? This is for ACE; I have no idea where it would be in MV.

Scene_ItemBase line 33:
$game_party.movable_members.max_by {|member| member.pha }

This code determines who the user is to get the highest pharmacology rating, correct? So if you wanted to change how this works, this would the line to edit. However, I don't know how many other methods call this, so be careful if you decide to edit this.

Now, for the effect that applies the PHA rate in battle, go to line 613 of Scene_Battle:

target.item_apply(@subject, item)

In this context, @subject refers to the battler using the item, so the subject's (and only the subject's) PHA rating comes into play.

Game_BattlerBase line 571 (line 582 for MP recovery effects):
value *= user.pha if item.is_a?(RPG::Item)

If you wanted to tweak it for whatever reason, this is the line to look for. Worth noting that TP changing effects do NOT make use of the PHA stat, so keep that in mind.

Thus concludes the mini lesson that nobody asked for. I hope I got it right! Please let me know if I messed up somewhere!
unity
You're magical to me.
author=Trihan
Sorry, yeah, I should have specified that this only applies in the menu. The battle scene treats item use differently in the code.

Ah, that certainly changes things! ^_^ Interesting. Looks like my chemist character will still work as intended.
Trihan
Don't worry Red, this exact thing is covered in Jump into Javascript part 4, which will be finished tonight. :)

Also I believe that, like MV, the only place this is used is Scene_Item.
For a second I was like "nooo, this ruins all my systems that depend on it being used by that one person!"

Then I saw that this applies only on the menu and I'm like "Oh, that makes perfect sense and it's cool".

Thank you for clarifying that.
What about the member with the highest PHA value being dead outside battle? Is it still the highest PHA that matters or the next highest one?
Trihan
If the party member in question is dead, the next highest will be used.
Pages: 1