DROPBOX TO ELIMINATE THE PUBLIC FOLDER ON MARCH 15TH

Pages: 1
Mirak
Stand back. Artist at work. I paint with enthusiasm if not with talent.
This is not news for most people, since dropbox has been methodically emailing threats to everybody about their decision to "upgrade and better their services" by deactivating the public folder for both free and pro users of their system.

What this means: No more direct file hotlinking.

Now you'll be able to make "shared links" for individual files from any folder of your dropbox, but anybody who wants to see that file will have to go through an intermediary page that offers you to download the file instead of you being able to have access to that file directly. This "upgrade" is, of course, only helping dropbox get more ad revenue from making you go to another page to see or download the file. As for the users, they can get fucked.

What THAT means: If you're like me, who used the dropbox public folder as a way of linking to image files that would appear in tutorials and game profiles and resource pages here on RMN and everywhere else on the net, you'll find that all of those links will be broken as of March 15 for free users, and September for pro users.

If i hadn't checked my old email that i used to register to dropbox i wouldn't have known about this until now, so i'm making this thread in case one of you use dropbox for the same reasons i do and didn't know about this, so that you have time to replace all the links you're using on pages on RMN with alternative ones.

In my case, i'm uploading all RMN-dependent files to my locker and hotlinking them from there. This may be obvious for some but i didn't really do it since i wanted to keep that precious locker space free for other things.

I don't know if there are any other services like dropbox that allow direct file hotlinking, so maybe i'm hoping people here will inform me of these alternative cloud services so i can migrate there.
Good ol' RMN. See? Never changing anything ever has its advantages, too.

But for me, I only ever used Dropbox as a personal storage, up until I joined the Adaeus project with Clyve. Now, because of all of the game files and resources, it is saying I am GBs over my limit.*

*Yeah, I might have had the 10GB or whatever the default is for free accounts, but if someone "shares" a folder with you, whatever they upload into THEIR shared folder counts against YOUR CAP. Makes total sense.

I stopped using Dropbox when I discovered that little gem. I now use Google Drive and OneDrive. (and RMN)
I've been using imgur for some time now, before Dropbox made this decision. I like dropbox because it has a very stable client, both in Windows and in Linux. There's a gvfs plugin(?) in Linux that allows me to connect directly to my Google Drive and treat it like a local filesystem (as opposed to syncing like Dropbox does). Is there something similar for Windows?
Pages: 1