[POLL] DOES RPG MAKER NET HAVE LOW ENGAGEMENT RATE?

Poll

Does RPG Maker net have a lower than average engagement rate for the submissions? - Results

Yes
52%
No
48%

Pages: first prev 123456 last
halibabica
RMN's Official Reviewmonger
from JosephSeraph
given that you're pretty much refuting every piece of feedback that everyone says shows that there isn't much of an intent for improvement, which means I might as well go give feedback to a project that benefits more from it : p

from Tuomo_L
I will, I'm adding new spell. I'm listening to Unity, I really am. I didn't want to come off as ignoring her. I value all feedback, I just wanted to explain why some of the stuff is the way they were, as a designer to another, not as developer to customer.

You guys said you're mostly developers yourselves, that's why I'm interacting with you in ways I wouldn't in Steam.

He's not ignoring us. He's just explaining why things were that way, and is thinking of ways to fix them.
author=JosephSeraph
author=Tuomo_L
It's not XAS and they're not default. They are custom graphics.

Example

Original batte hud

Save Your Mom's hud

I'm sorry then, it seems I was mistaken. But you see, from a consumer's standpoint, it still felt like I was seeing default systems even though they were custom. And in fact they are -- but they're custom stuff that still uses RTP stuff and is visually and style-wise very similar to the source material.

To show people that it's something original you need stronger visual design. It's very important. But given that you're pretty much refuting every piece of feedback that everyone says shows that there isn't much of an intent for improvement, which means I might as well go give feedback to a project that benefits more from it : p

Not true, I am just saying the game has custom graphics in huds and stuff. Heck, I even paid a graphics designer to make some of the HUDs sleeker in the next update. Stylistically it's similar to avoid it clashing too much with other aesthetics.

I originally left the Galv's fishing HUD normal because Galv and me talked on RPG Maker Web, he bought my game and liked it so I thought that meant I got a "go for it" from him, but you'll see a new HUD next update.
I like how a topic on RMN's lower engagement rate got 100 replies in a day
author=kentona
I like how a topic on RMN's lower engagement rate got 100 replies in a day

There's many people who did vote yes though, so I don't think it was just me imagining things.
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
author=halibabica
He's not ignoring us. He's just explaining why things were that way, and is thinking of ways to fix them.

He's ignoring a lot of the substance of criticism (and lots of actual criticism- there's several points he just hasn't acknowledged at all), and making a lot of excuses. "Explaining why" is rarely useful; it doesn't matter why I made something crummy, it matters how I plan to fix it.

If you haven't been involved in critique circles much, this seems like reasonable behavior, but in every situation I've seen (including times when I was the one doing it!) it's been a sign of someone who wasn't actually listening, just trying to get the criticism to go away. It's very not helpful for actual improvement.
halibabica
Sorry, I got the impression he was working on it and gave him the benefit of the doubt. Is it necessary to qualify every statement with "yeah you're right I'll fix that?" Is it also necessary to say "well you're CLEARLY NOT LISTENING" every time this doesn't happen?
author=Sooz
author=halibabica
He's ignoring a lot of the substance of criticism (and lots of actual criticism- there's several points he just hasn't acknowledged at all), and making a lot of excuses. "Explaining why" is rarely useful; it doesn't matter why I made something crummy, it matters how I plan to fix it.

If you haven't been involved in critique circles much, this seems like reasonable behavior, but in every situation I've seen (including times when I was the one doing it!) it's been a sign of someone who wasn't actually listening, just trying to get the criticism to go away. It's very not helpful for actual improvement.

No, that's not true, I am listening. I did add new spell like Unity suggested. I am planning on doing HUD improvements, they were about to come anyway. I did change the time of the intro. I have listened and have done changes, I did change the page and descriptions of my game as halibabica suggested.

Not listening I'd not do any of these things. I'm not brushing anyone off, I've in fact even literally said I'm not doing that.

I even said I liked your intro idea...

EDIT: I felt like contributing to the site, so I'll post my tutorial about RPG Maker VX Ace RTP and my DRG resource for MV for starters.
author=halibabica
Sorry, I got the impression he was working on it and gave him the benefit of the doubt. Is it necessary to qualify every statement with "yeah you're right I'll fix that?" Is it also necessary to say "well you're CLEARLY NOT LISTENING" every time this doesn't happen?

i gave quite a bit of feedback as an artist myself on how the (pretty neat btw) art used ingame could be more well explored / be sculpted to its full potential and all i got was "but these are custom graphics see i did change the default rmvxa icons to default rmxp icons and i even changed the font to another one that looks pretty much the same except harder to read"

but i didn't read pages 2-4 so i missed lots of stuff, just wanted to give my 5 cents on how a few small key changes could completely change the impression of the game. welp : p

halibabica
Boop, it was just a misunderstanding, then. You were kinda the third person to question whether they were listening or not, and I didn't want it to seem like he was getting dogpiled.
author=JosephSeraph
author=halibabica
i gave quite a bit of feedback as an artist myself on how the (pretty neat btw) art used ingame could be more well explored / be sculpted to its full potential and all i got was "but these are custom graphics see i did change the default rmvxa icons to default rmxp icons and i even changed the font to another one that looks pretty much the same except harder to read"

but i didn't read pages 2-4 so i missed lots of stuff, just wanted to give my 5 cents on how a few small key changes could completely change the impression of the game. welp : p

I just wanted to correct you since you said it was the default, didn't want to come off as dick. There's some giant monsters that are done using that graphics and which move and have tons of emotions in combat. The only reason there's not more of the animated monsters that are like Ungolia is sadly the fact that I had limited budget to work with. This game didn't have any fundraisers or anything, it was all paid from welfare funds that I had and sometimes I even skipped meals to afford paying artists.

The new level that came in 1.2 update introduced lots of new arts that you may like including a really neat animation tricks using zoom ins and outs and such, you'd probably like that part.

Now that the game has sold, I'm actually trying to use that money to help improve the game, including running ad campaign on Facebook and the paying for improved HUD graphics, the new level and more content. I want to keep supporting this game at least for a while and offer these things as free updates to all the customers and fans.
CashmereCat
Self-proclaimed Puzzle Snob
Cool stuff, Tuomo. Well, it seems you got a whole ton of engagement from many talented developers. I'm not sure if you've played any of unity, Sooz, JosephSeraph or halibabica's games. I have, and these are talented developers with a lot of experience under their belt. Some of their games are flat out amazing, in my humble opinion. Unity and Sooz created a game which won the IGMC. These people who are giving you feedback, some of them have created award-winning gsmes. RMN is a very constructive feedback driven zone, as it is more a developer zone than a consumer zone. So you will get much valuable feedback here. I would be ecstatic to have received this much feedback from people who know what they are doing.

You can choose to own this feedback or you don't have to. Your game might not need it. But please thank them for taking their time out to buy, play and/or give feedback to your game.

By no means does this make yours a bad game. I'm sure very many find it a whole lot of fun. Just that they could enjoy it that little bit more if things were tweaked. Use this engagement to improve it and future games and it may prove very useful in the future, not only to yourself, but those who play your games. Blessings, Tuomo.
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
author=CashmereCat
I'm not sure if you've played any of unity, Sooz, JosephSeraph or halibabica's games. I have, and these are talented developers with a lot of experience under their belt. Some of their games are flat out amazing, in my humble opinion. Unity and Sooz created a game which won the IGMC.

I probably don't deserve to be counted in here because the only thing that's 100% mine is Lobster Quest, which doesn't really count as a "good" game. (I will accept "amazing." :V ) Also the IGMC winner included Red_Nova; I understand that you didn't include him because he's not put in his two cents here, but I feel bad not adding him in since he did a huge chunk of the work.

author=Tuomo_L
This game didn't have any fundraisers or anything, it was all paid from welfare funds that I had and sometimes I even skipped meals to afford paying artists.

HOLY SHIT DUDE DO NOT SACRIFICE YOUR HEALTH FOR A FUCKING GAME!!!!

If you are on welfare, you are NOT in a situation where you can afford to spend money on a game, much less a situation where you can make any creative profession your living. People have to have a steady source of income for DECADES before they can get anywhere NEAR making a living.

DO NOT TRY TO MAKE GAMES AS A LIVING IF YOU ARE LIVING HAND TO MOUTH. Playing the lottery would be a better investment; at least lottery tickets are cheap!
halibabica
I don't count either because all my RPG Maker is stuff is old nonsense fangames and everything else is Spelunky or SMBX (I'm proud of, like, three things I've made). But maybe I'd have better games if I had time to apply all the knowledge I've been accruing over the years.

i mean hiss dont look at me
author=Sooz
author=CashmereCat
I'm not sure if you've played any of unity, Sooz, JosephSeraph or halibabica's games. I have, and these are talented developers with a lot of experience under their belt. Some of their games are flat out amazing, in my humble opinion. Unity and Sooz created a game which won the IGMC.
I probably don't deserve to be counted in here because the only thing that's 100% mine is Lobster Quest, which doesn't really count as a "good" game. (I will accept "amazing." :V ) Also the IGMC winner included Red_Nova; I understand that you didn't include him because he's not put in his two cents here, but I feel bad not adding him in since he did a huge chunk of the work.

author=Tuomo_L
This game didn't have any fundraisers or anything, it was all paid from welfare funds that I had and sometimes I even skipped meals to afford paying artists.

HOLY SHIT DUDE DO NOT SACRIFICE YOUR HEALTH FOR A FUCKING GAME!!!!

If you are on welfare, you are NOT in a situation where you can afford to spend money on a game, much less a situation where you can make any creative profession your living. People have to have a steady source of income for DECADES before they can get anywhere NEAR making a living.

DO NOT TRY TO MAKE GAMES AS A LIVING IF YOU ARE LIVING HAND TO MOUTH. Playing the lottery would be a better investment; at least lottery tickets are cheap!

Done already. I lost 20 kilos working on Save Your Mother.

I'm not on welfare anymore, I have game making business.
I'm glad that you managed to fight through it. There's a lot at stake now that you've risked so much, but since this seems to be your dream (as it is to many of us) it is well worth it, and inspiring that you achieved it.
It is now that you must firmly press forward to make sure you don't fall back on your efforts. And I'm glad to see you're willing to! Best of luck on your current and future endeavours ^U^)/
author=JosephSeraph
I'm glad that you managed to fight through it. There's a lot at stake now that you've risked so much, but since this seems to be your dream (as it is to many of us) it is well worth it, and inspiring that you achieved it.
It is now that you must firmly press forward to make sure you don't fall back on your efforts. And I'm glad to see you're willing to! Best of luck on your current and future endeavours ^U^)/

Thank you so much for that!! I hope that you sometime do try out the game and that you'd enjoy your experience!
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!
author=Tuomo_L
author=kory_toombs
If you want someone on RMN, this website to review your game, you will likely need to give them a Steam CD key for your game.
But the ones with CD keys don't have their reviews affect the score on Steam. Or do you mean exclusively for RPG Maker net alone?

Why can't you just buy it? It's not that expensive, it really isn't with all the work I've put into it. I put it on sale too every now and then, it was on sale on the anime weekend and was 2,99$.

I'm not sure how Steam reviews work, but I do know that they have no criteria. Anyone can submit a review and write basically anything they want. Rec or not rec for any reason or no reason.

RMN reviews have criteria. I assumed since you were wanting attention on this website that you wanted someone to submit a review for your game on this website. Submitting a review on Steam would not help you on this website.

But writing this topic, which is sort of indirectly against the rules, has garnished your game quite a bit of attention.
steam displays primarily reviews from purchasers; people who have been given free keys can't affect a game's score and their reviews are secondary (as in they're displayed "below/behind" all others)
author=kory_toombs
author=Tuomo_L
author=kory_toombs
If you want someone on RMN, this website to review your game, you will likely need to give them a Steam CD key for your game.
But the ones with CD keys don't have their reviews affect the score on Steam. Or do you mean exclusively for RPG Maker net alone?

Why can't you just buy it? It's not that expensive, it really isn't with all the work I've put into it. I put it on sale too every now and then, it was on sale on the anime weekend and was 2,99$.
I'm not sure how Steam reviews work, but I do know that they have no criteria. Anyone can submit a review and write basically anything they want. Rec or not rec for any reason or no reason.

RMN reviews have criteria. I assumed since you were wanting attention on this website that you wanted someone to submit a review for your game on this website. Submitting a review on Steam would not help you on this website.

But writing this topic, which is sort of indirectly against the rules, has garnished your game quite a bit of attention.

As Joseph mentioned, people who have received game as free don't count towards game score, same if the game gets refunded.

I didn't really try and get attention for my game, that's why I never even linked it here.

EDIT: For anyone caring, the poll is actually tied at the moment.
Pages: first prev 123456 last