BLUE DRAGON

Pages: 1
Starscream
Conquest is made from the ashes of one's enemies.
I finally got Blue Dragon today, and that was a story within itself. Lets just say UPS delivered it to a wrong location and I had to interrogate a small mexican boy Jack Bauer style to learn of its location.

I'm only a few hours into the game but I'm really digging it. The visual style is really annoying, but no more so than it was in Dragon Quest VIII and Dragon Ball Z. The graphics themselves look nice though. The music is excellent so far (though I've been told by many the boss tune coming up is the worst ever, though Gredlen swears it is awesome) and harkens back to the 16 bit era of Final Fantasy. The actual gameplay is more in line with what you would expect from Dragon Quest, however.

The class system is pretty sweet and I'm really enjoying the random battles. Running around a map and trying to make different types of random monsters attack each other, then cleaning up the mess (literally) is quite amusing. I've never played a game where you scooped up poo looking for gold before.

I'm not expecting anything majorly innovative in the storyline department as it looks like it'll be a standard generic epic revolving around the rebirth of magic and ancient technology. Some say the characters suck, but they're all actually pretty well refined. I guess it would be better to say the character development sucks, as all of their personalities are already carved into stone by the time the game takes place. The worst thing about the game is the main character, Shu, sounds like he's voiced by a woman trying to sound like a young male kid. It doesn't work at all. The rest of them sound OK though.

So far it's a nice, glossy old school RPG with a few innovative systems to keep things fresh. I would definitely recommend to any (j)RPG fans.
Damn. Now I want a 360.

you had me at "character development sucks"
My video game topic weeps. ;_;

Also:
author=rcholbert link=topic=230.msg2950#msg2950 date=1188532289
The music is excellent so far (though I've been told by many the boss tune coming up is the worst ever, though Gredlen swears it is awesome)
I am SO right.
author=Gredlen link=topic=230.msg2957#msg2957 date=1188532876

Here, I'll summarize for it for you:

So, Odin Sphere blah blah Odin Sphere blah Odin Sphere blah blah blah blah Odin Sphere Odin Sphere blah Odin Sphere blah blah blah blah Odin Sphere

:D You know I'm just joking. I have no idea what an Odin Sphere is. Sounds like some sort of magicite.
Is it just me or does the titular Dragon look TERRIBLE in all of the screenshots and promos?

1up.com LOVES the boss theme for Blue Dragon and hates pretty much the rest of the game. Wheras Brandon said in his blog the other day that the boss theme was garbage and that the rest of the game was pretty excellent.

Is it safe to say that Blue Dragon is a love it or hate it title?
Starscream
Looking around at reviews, especially on metacritc, you'll see a lot of reviews that are 90%+, but also quite a few reviews that are in the 60's. Apparently there is no consensus on the title.

And yes, the blue dragon looks way silly. But so does all of Toriyama's stuff.
author=kentona link=topic=230.msg2960#msg2960 date=1188533606

So, Odin Sphere blah blah Odin Sphere blah Odin Sphere blah blah blah blah Odin Sphere Odin Sphere blah Odin Sphere blah blah blah blah Odin Sphere

:D You know I'm just joking. I have no idea what an Odin Sphere is. Sounds like some sort of magicite.
Well, it won't get any better if no one else posts in it. <_<
Have you fought a boss yet? I MUST know what you think about the boss theme.
I don't play video games anymore.... atleast new ones.

I have an old PC that can't play anything better than Diablo II, I don't have any of the new consoles or handhelds, the latest machine I have is an Xbox, and the newest game I have for is Burnout 3.

I am really hoping to get a Wii by Christmas.
Hexatona
JESEUS MIMLLION SPOLERS
author=kentona link=topic=230.msg2960#msg2960 date=1188533606
author=Gredlen link=topic=230.msg2957#msg2957 date=1188532876

I'm sorry, but I just about Lollergasmed at this one! Initially, I was pretty excited about Odin Sphere, and it's completely different but simmilarly presented little sister Grim Grimoire, but I seemed to feel some kind of hollowness with the game industry every time I picked them up. I suppose that's why I'm more into the old school. Things were shiny and new territory all the time back then. or, at least, that's what my fiendishly inconsistent childhood memory has painted for me.

About blue dragon, I don't own an Xbox or a 360, but I can say the game looked at least somewhat interesting. actually, some of the promotional art reminded me of Okage: Shadow King - correct me if I'm all wrong on that one? I kind of wish i had a 360 so I could play eternal sonata when it came out. anyway, long story short, if DQ VIII is any indication, Blue Dragon seems like a good time for us folk.
Starscream
Man, lazy bears will f*ck your sh*t up.

author=brandonabley link=topic=230.msg2967#msg2967 date=1188535860
Have you fought a boss yet? I MUST know what you think about the boss theme.

I got to the first "real" boss late last night while I was half asleep. Literally. I kept dozing off but I didn't want to backtrack to the last save point. Then this festive looking dinosaur came out of nowhere and then the music started playing...

I was so shocked by the song. It has no idea what it wants to be. It starts out as an annoying jpop song, then like, wtf, the lead singer from Deep Purple (one of the pioneers of heavy metal) starts screaming or something. Then it changes back into a particulary annoying jpop song with Ian Gilliam trying to sing in tune (impossible). It's pretty crazy.

I don't think this is a great song by any means but it does gain some coolness points by having Ian Gilliam sing it. After 30 seconds its pretty much just background noise and doesn't try to be your face anymore. I've heard worse, but dear God have I heard so much better.

Judgement: Should have been cool but is instead just annoying. They should have just made a regular rock song and ditched the jrock/jpop.

author=kentona link=topic=230.msg2977#msg2977 date=1188572948
I don't play video games anymore.... atleast new ones.

I have an old PC that can't play anything better than Diablo II, I don't have any of the new consoles or handhelds, the latest machine I have is an Xbox, and the newest game I have for is Burnout 3.

I am really hoping to get a Wii by Christmas.

If you're going to upgrade, you may as well get a real console and not the "new" Wii. You can buy two GameCubes and some duct tape on the cheap if you wanted to go that route. Toss in a universal remote and you're set. Just kidding!

Actually, I may end up getting one for Christmas for the family. My daughter is starting to enjoy playing videogames and my wife likes Wii Sports. Unfortunately the only other games that interest me at all are Twilight Princess, which I could play on my GameCube, or Metroid Prime 3. I never got into the earlier Prime games but it looks like they actually tried to make MP3 a real game and not just a metroid fanservice.
So does Akira Toriyama just REALLY like working on things that have 'Dragon' in the title?

Personally, I endorse the Wii, but the system is having a lousy time getting off the ground. It's a lot like the DS's first year. Mainly we've got shallow fluff games. Hopefully the system will pick up steam, seeing as how it's outselling both 360 and PS3 by a vast margin. As PS2 demonstrated, raw system power doesn't matter much in the face of a huge user base.

I absolutely love Odin Sphere. I can't blame you, Hex, if you aren't charmed by modern games. Personally though, I love modern games as much as I love the classics. I found that the last generation was host to some spectacular titles, but that's all a matter of taste.
I figured it'd would be an easier sell to the wife, getting a Wii that is. (Sorry, we just went to the pub for work and shared 5 pitchers of beer - work this afternoon is going to be awesome).

I doubt I could say to her, "Check it out! Look how realistic the blood spatter is!" when I'm trying to sell her on a 360 or PS3. A Wii is at least in the realm of possibility.
author=kentona link=topic=230.msg2990#msg2990 date=1188591017
I figured it'd would be an easier sell to the wife, getting a Wii that is. (Sorry, we just went to the pub for work and shared 5 pitchers of beer - work this afternoon is going to be awesome).

I doubt I could say to her, "Check it out! Look how realistic the blood spatter is!" when I'm trying to sell her on a 360 or PS3. A Wii is at least in the realm of possibility.

Maybe you could say to her:

I LIKE PLAYING VIDEO GAMES and everyone else that likes playing video games recommends the XBox 360.
I played the demo and was extremely annoyed. They just don't make RPGs like they used to...so sad.
Starscream
I wasn't particulary fond of the demo either. I was considering holding out and getting Eternal Sonata instead (enjoyed the demo more). But I took a leap of faith and so far I'm not regretting it.

Hopefully I enjoy the dungeons from the demo better in the real product.
I played the Eternal Sonata demo as well, and while it looks sooooooooooooo pretty, I didn't really get into it...maybe i will play it again.
Pages: 1