JAPANESE INTERNET VS. NORTH AMERICAN INTERNET (PIC)

Pages: first 12 next last
It's not free, it's fucking expensive. I'm paying 5000 yen a month (if you convert this now it seems like a lot more than it is due to the Yen skyrocketing in the economic cluster-fuck, but around 50 bucks).

It is fast as hell though.
Fixed link:
http://www.topnewsblog.info/tblog_11080.htm

Also doesn't NA Internet sucks due to the infrastrucutre that everybody wants the money to upgrade but just won't do it? I don't have a source for this info so v
v
author=GreatRedSpirit link=topic=2332.msg40550#msg40550 date=1225227035
Fixed link:
http://www.topnewsblog.info/tblog_11080.htm

Also doesn't NA Internet sucks due to the infrastrucutre that everybody wants the money to upgrade but just won't do it? I don't have a source for this info so v
v

Thanks I didn't noticed that yet,that's very kind of you.
Magi
Resident Terrapin
author=Canuck link=topic=2332.msg40476#msg40476 date=1225196190
It's not free, it's fucking expensive. I'm paying 5000 yen a month (if you convert this now it seems like a lot more than it is due to the Yen skyrocketing in the economic cluster-fuck, but around 50 bucks).

It is fast as hell though.
I pay $40 monthly for 3mbps service. Yeah.

e: What I'm saying is that internet in the U.S. is almost as expensive as across seas and yet even the best plans only really offer a 16mbit downstream for those willing to fork out $65 a month
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
I pay around $9 for 100 mbps. Go Netzero ;D
I pay $40 a month for my internet and it's fast as.
Magi
Resident Terrapin
author=ChaosProductions link=topic=2332.msg40617#msg40617 date=1225246009
I don't think so. If Netzero even had the technology or funds to purchase a leased VDSL network and they somehow still managed to operate on a business model where they charged almost nothing for cutting edge technology and still made a profit, the FCC would slap them with an order to cease operations faster than you could blink an eye.

100Mbps is blindingly fast. We're talking fiber optics fast, and no company could actually stay in business and charge $9 for an emerging communications technology. You're probably paying for either dialup or 768k.
author=Magi link=topic=2332.msg40659#msg40659 date=1225271848
I don't think so. If Netzero even had the technology or funds to purchase a leased VDSL network and they somehow still managed to operate on a business model where they charged almost nothing for cutting edge technology and still made a profit, the FCC would slap them with an order to cease operations faster than you could blink an eye.

100Mbps is blindingly fast. We're talking fiber optics fast, and no company could actually stay in business and charge $9 for an emerging communications technology. You're probably paying for either dialup or 768k.
I don't liek that - The government putting a stop to an obvious technological advancement (which I would there would be if they made a profit like that). I unnderstand the reasoning behind it, but still =(

But w/e - back to teh topic at hand :)

Also - I'm now moving to Japan o_o
In France the maximum you can get is about 20mbps.

And I pay 30€/month for 10mbps.
LouisCyphre
author=Magi link=topic=2332.msg40659#msg40659 date=1225271848

Well in that case, my computer lies to me.

I don't know if this is the megabitpersecond you speak of, but it says this.
That's your computer's network speed. It can transmit/receive data at those speeds, but the bottleneck is your ISP connection (modem to the rest of the Internet) which runs a lot less than 100mbps.

If it was two computers hooked up to each other (either directly or through a 100mbps+ switch/router) then you could get those speeds. Just not over the Internet unfortunately.
LouisCyphre
Okay, thanks for the clarification. You were correct, Magi.

However, I still get a relatively fast connection. My house is literally on the same city block as a Netzero server. ;D
How can I check my speed? I actually haven't got my internet installed yet (Nov 8), and am stealing off someone right now.
Try SpeedTest.net? I haven't use it before, but its what the site at the link uses

e: spelling
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
Fuck that picture Canada is not representative of (North) America. This topic should be called CANADIAN internet versus Japanese internet.
WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
I get 15mbps for $40/month.
author=tonnysand117 link=topic=2332.msg40457#msg40457 date=1225181142
Had anyone been to Japan, is this true?
Japanese Internet vs. North American Internet (pic)

I just don't believe in that.
here in sweden we got 24 m/bps (downspeed, only 1 up :L) for somewhere aroud 35$. If we lived in another house, we could have 100 m/bps up and down for less than half the price
Tau
RMN sex symbol
Man you guys are lucky. New Zealand internet = Slowest/Overpriced shit in the world. I think mines like 10 gig a month for $60 and 2-5mbps.
Pages: first 12 next last