BUY ME A LAPTOP

Pages: 1
Hello computer experts of RMN. I am in the market for a new laptop and find myself overwhelmed with the plethora of options. I need help filtering out the chaff and picking a laptop that would suit my needs (namely, RM game development upstairs in the evening so that I can keep an ear out for my kids (my office is downstairs with my PC)). Also, some light gaming (specifically Diablo 3) and maybe streaming movies/videos.

I am looking for something light, boots fast, with a keyboard where the \ key is in the correct place (ABOVE THE ENTER KEY, NOT TO THE LEFT OF IT. FUCK THAT LAYOUT AND WHOEVER IMPLEMENTED IT). An optical DVD drive is not needed (I have an external one if need be). A USB port for a mouse because I dislike touchpads (or suggest an alternative, like a bluetooth or USB-C mouse, or whatever).

oh yeah that's the good stuff

The last laptop I purchased ran Windows XP. I have been out of the market for some time.

Looking at what's hot these days it appears like there is no wrong choise per se, but I am looking to make the best choice. As in all likelihood this laptop will be in use for years.

My budget is wide open (from $700 CAD to $1800 CAD), but I am looking for value, and if I can save $1000 bucks I'd prefer that! The sales tax is 11% where I live, so factor that into your value estimate.

Minimum Requirements
8GB RAM
good keyboard/enter key location
i5 or A10 or better
HD 1920 x 1080 screen
<5 lbs
HDMI port
USB 3.1 port
256GB SSD or 1TB HDD

Wants (but not dealbreakers)
i7
12GB RAM
15.6"
<4.5 lbs
USB Type-C
NVIDIA dedicated videocard

Wishlist (these would be neat to have! but things get pricey fast)
512GB SSD
8000 series Intel (8th gen)
16GB RAM
Touchscreen
17"
UHD (3840 x 2160)
Backlit keyboard
<3.5 lbs

Here are some candidates I've found. Remember I live in Canada, so have been looking at places like Bestbuy.ca, Staples.ca, Newegg.ca, TigerDirect.ca, and Costco.ca (I have a costco membership)

Here is a HP x360 Spectre. It has a lot of the dream wishlist specs but at $1699 (on sale, open box, online only) it is at the absolute upper end of my price range. But is it good value?
HP 15.6" Touch Convertible Laptop - Ash (Intel Core i7-7500U/512GB SSD/16GB RAM/Windows 10)-Open Box - Online Only
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/hp-15-6-touch-convertible-laptop-ash-intel-core-i7-7500u-512gb-ssd-16gb-ram-windows-10-open-box/10719864.aspx?

Here is a Lenovo IdeaPad 320 80XL03BQUS. It as a lot of good specs, but the reviews say the screen sucks balls. But at $799 it is much more affordable. Is that a good value?
Lenovo Laptop IdeaPad 320 80XL03BQUS Intel Core i7 7th Gen 7500U (2.70 GHz) 12 GB Memory 256 GB SSD NVIDIA GeForce 940MX 15.6"
https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834860846&cm_re=Lenovo_Ideapad-_-34-860-846-_-Product

Here is an Acer Aspire. It too has a lot of good specs, on sale for $899. On the plus side, it is in stock locally at BestBuy and I could just pick it up and buy it. Thoughts?
Acer Aspire 5 15.6" Laptop - Black (Intel Core i7-8550U/256GB SSD/12GB RAM/Windows 10)
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/acer-aspire-5-15-6-laptop-black-intel-core-i7-8550u-256gb-ssd-12gb-ram-windows-10/11649069.aspx?

Here is an ASUS, for example. at $1199, it too has good specs.
ASUS K556UQ-Q72P-CB Bilingual Notebook, i7-7500U
https://www.costco.ca/ASUS-K556UQ-Q72P-CB-Bilingual-Notebook%2c-i7-7500U.product.100343322.html

Thanks for your help!
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
My last laptop was an Acer Aspire. It's a beautiful machine that did everything I wanted it to do and lasted a solid 5 years. The downside is that it did NOT handle heat well, so make sure to get a cooling pad if you're gonna play games on it.
Hexatona
JESEUS MIMLLION SPOLERS
It might just be faster to msg GRS directly you know
The HP x360 has a huge resolution (3840x2160) (touch!)screen but a really weak GPU (GeF 940MX). Mind it can probably run Diablo 3, Blizzard may make dubious games but the teams behind them are pretty good.

The Thinkpad looks like the X360 but without the 4k touchscreen and less storage.

The Acer's GPU is real bad. It can still play Diablo 3 but a benchmark I found doesn't have it hitting 60 FPS at the panel's native resolution. It was benched at High graphics though so maybe lower settings will do the trick? No comment on when the FPS was recorded (dicking around in town vs mob fights). The rest doesn't seem bad either. Otherwise it'd be real nice.

Costco one doesn't really bring anything new to the table unless you wanted the 1TB HD instead of a SSD, compared to the NewEgg Lenovo.

I'd probably get the Lenovo Thinkpad. Its GPU should be enough to play Diablo 3 (Geforce 940 MX Benchmark) while hitting most of the other wants without breaking the bank as much as the HP X360. Biggest thing is how you much the touchscreen, the other computer wishlist specs is just incremental performance improvement (although 17" and <3.5lbs is real tricky
).

I didn't do much looking, just browsing at MemoryExpress.com but nothing really stood out as being significantly better than the Lenovo

e: I also have no idea how to tell what keyboard layout these things are because some laptops have layouts are inspired by Satan himself. Another key between the left shift and Z? What the fuck why would you do that!
Hexatona
JESEUS MIMLLION SPOLERS
>e: I also have no idea how to tell what keyboard layout these things are because some laptops have layouts are inspired by Satan himself. Another key between the left shift and Z? What the fuck why would you do that!

Ugh, my latop from two laptops ago did this. It was hell. Soooo many times I'm starting up some random ass application when i was trying to hit caps lock or shift!
You can always do what my sister did one time - buy one of those usb keyboards and just put them on top of the one already in existence. She got one of those roll-up ones and it worked pretty well, bar the occasional hard-press that saw the keys beneath act up.
Pretty much any 1000-1500 dollar "gaming" laptop will satisfy your big wants. I use a Sabre 15 because it's the least of the embarrassing laptops on the market looks-wise (you can turn off the light up keyboard that it has). It does have the slash above the enter key thing and a numpad to boot. What I like is that it has both an SSD and a 1TB Harddrive. It's just great for on the go game development especially. Seems to satisfy all the wants except maybe the weight (5.7 lbs apparently), but I never had a problem carrying it in a bag unless youre a WIMP heh heh.
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!

The Steaky Steaky 6 Millenium Edition is a processing wonder horse, I am told
My very old work laptop (Dell Lattitude E6500) was a beefy 6+lbs and it got annoying. That was my motivation for a lighter laptop. This laptop is going to be moved a lot between my bedroom and kitchen table.
It's the only workout I'll ever get :(
Should have talked to my wife instead of you guys. She wants the "good light one with 4k screen and touchscreen"
I think that settles it then, get the HP. I spent a bit of time looking for other touchscreen 4K laptops and came up with a whole lotta expensive shit and awful online store filters (I couldn't get the BestBuy website to filter for needing both 4K and touchscreen, with both checked it ended up just settling for either).
tell me about it! where is the "dedicated videocard" or "ssd" option? Or the "not a shitty keyboard layout goddamnit!" checkbox?

Anywho, I pulled the trigger and spent $1888.04

I am pretty excited. I will rationalize the extra expense in about 4 or 5 different ways

1) wife wanted it
2) friend at work recommended I "over-buy" a laptop, since you aren't swapping out or upgrading it. you are stuck
3) I just signed a contract extension at work (reward!)
4) I can write it off against my business taxes over the next 2 years

stay tuned for more rationalizations. I am good at them.

Thanks everyone for your input. Esp sooz, that was super helpful.
Starscream
Conquest is made from the ashes of one's enemies.
But can it play SWTOR?
It can... but can I?!
Starscream
Conquest is made from the ashes of one's enemies.
Pages: 1