[RM2K3] - WEAPON ANIMATION IN BATTLE QUESTION (CBA)

Pages: 1
This is a complicated scenario so just bare with me here, but I have been animating characters during battle when equipped with Guns or ranged weapons using 'Animation' in Item animation(CBA) and using the 'Animation' on the main item page to show the bullets/laser/explosion on the enemy itself.

This has proven to work pretty well for the most part, however I've come to a problem that I just can't seem to find a work around. When a character changes to a class that alters their appearance in battle any gun equipped will use the original battle animation with no way to change it.

If anyone has some sort of work around for this problem it would be great to hear your ideas.

Also I am using the stupid steam version of Rm2k3 so I'm pretty sure I can't use any engine mods. - correct me if I'm wrong here..
During class change it typically unequips all of the characters items so you either warn the player it de-equips their items during class change or do a check and re-equip automatically. The animations shouldn't be changing, the equips are.

edit: ?Unless you are talking about how to animate the character side of the animations to match the class?
author=Prinnyhero
This is a complicated scenario so just bare with me here, but I have been animating characters during battle when equipped with Guns or ranged weapons using 'Animation' in Item animation(CBA) and using the 'Animation' on the main item page to show the bullets/laser/explosion on the enemy itself.

This has proven to work pretty well for the most part, however I've come to a problem that I just can't seem to find a work around. When a character changes to a class that alters their appearance in battle any gun equipped will use the original battle animation with no way to change it.

If anyone has some sort of work around for this problem it would be great to hear your ideas.

Also I am using the stupid steam version of Rm2k3 so I'm pretty sure I can't use any engine mods. - correct me if I'm wrong here..

Hi Prinnyhero! ❤

I wanted to try this out before responding,

Yes, Darken is correct – whenever you make a class change in rpgmaker2000/2003 – rpgmaker2003, automatically unequips all equipment on the current character. I faced a similar problem when trying to create a Final Fantasy “Jump” command in rpgmaker2003. The only way around this problem is to create a call event that runs outside of the DBS that re-equips your previous equipment for you after the class change.

Earlier this month Preki asked a similar question and kaine provided two really great answers for both unofficial version of rpgmaker2003 as well as the steam version of rpgmaker2003.

Keeping equipment after class change:

author=kaine87
Do you use the official or pirated version?
In the first case, you have to go to variables and conditions.

In the second case, Bugmenot created this patch:
http://share.cherrytree.at/showfile-18013/classchangeequipfix.rar
see the instructions for applying it in the archive.

Please let us know if this worked!
Sorry guys, I should have been more clear. I'm talking about later on after the class change is complete (I have already implemented a system that re-equips certain items after the fact etc).

I have a shit ton of weapons for characters to use and I find it amusing if everyone can just use whatever they like no matter what class they are, however it only allows me to use one animation per character for weapons not using the WEAPONS tab as I've already long run out of space at the paltry 32 weapon limit there. All guns/extra weapons have to be animated using battle animations in the item tab.

Edit: So to clarify, everything is equipped properly, it's just that if I equip a rifle to someone that is no longer default class Ie: they have a different set of battle sprites, it will use the one animation that character has for rifles which is the default sprite, so the battler will switch clothes very quickly which completely breaks immersion.

On account of the imposed limit I've even had to remove the ability for certain classes to use weapons they should have no problem using just for the sake of having a cool class sprite during battle.

I hope this clears up the problem a bit more.

Also to reiterate my other question, I am wondering if it's possible to use Cherry's mods with the steam release. I'm starting to feel as though I've made a GRAVE mistake trying to be legit and purchasing this version. :s
You absolutely did not make a mistake sticking with the legit version. While losing DynRPG and other patches (I miss the no-row-in-battle patch most of all) you gain incredible stability enhancements for the program. Since for the vast majority of us, the goal is to share our creations, this added stability makes all of your future players very appreciative.

As for your question, I'm not entirely sure if I follow. There are two ways I could interpret your issue:

1. You are changing classes in the middle of battle. If this is true, I'm not aware of a work around for the issue's your facing, since in-battle class changes have always been buggy, but it has been quite some time since I attempted to solve that issue. However, your mention of the 32 weapon animation limit suggests the issue is something else.

2. The second possibility is that you are doing some weird stuff trying to get around the 32 weapon animation limit. What confuses me is that I don't understand how this could be a problem. If I read your comment correctly, you are setting the item animation individually for each character from the item tab using normal Animations data (Hit A, Hit B, etc) as opposed to the Animations 2 data (for character animations), since that is not restricted by 32 total options. However, since those animations are literally just the animations (that is, do not affect the class), I think you should be good. Unless you're telling me that if you switch classes, that animation option always causes the character to "flash back" to their original class (as dictated by the Actor tab)?

Or am I still misunderstanding you and its something else entirely?

This is what I am looking at in my items tab. The sprite and weapon animation are being pulled from 'item animation' and the hit animations (bullets/slashes/etc) from 'animations'. So far I have been only able to select a single animation for each of these meaning when a character equips the FN P90 in the image they will switch to their default class look to use it since that's what was selected. I have yet to figure out a way around this as I would rather have every class capable of wielding all weapons. It doesn't bother me to redraw sprites.

I should also mention that the battle sprites are heavily animated so to just show a still of a character holding a weapon and not moving simply isn't enough.

If you use the Animation option here, you can set custom animations for every weapon for every character. While it technically is meant only for the weapon animation (and not the character animation), the animation itself is simply offset from the usual character position, so if you hide the character animation (make it blank) and draw the animation in the right position, you have unlimited custom attack animations that aren't restricted by the usual three frame rules. I used this technique in one of my unfinished projects.

The downside is that you can't change the class of the character, since the animation is always character, not class, specific. That's why I asked for clarity in my last post.
Yes, that was the problem I was having. When a class changes I have to lock out items that use this method. Therefore there are a large number of items that can't be used with certain classes for no reason other then this. Pretty annoying. Anyway thanks for the help. I was hoping there was some work around but oh well.
Pages: 1