[RM2K3] EXIT VEHICLE VIA EVENT

Pages: 1
So obviously the "Enter/Exit Vehicle" command doesn't work as intended (unless I'm missing something), so... is there a way to force a character to exit the vehicle they're riding via event? I'm trying to warp the player to the deck of their ship when you hit escape rather than it opening the menu. They warp to the deck just fine, but they're still on board the overworld vehicle! Obviously, that's no good.

Any ideas on a workaround? I'm using dynrpg so if there's a patch to fix this I will happily use that.
riding an airship on an airship is so meta.

I don't think I've tried this. Let me set up a test project.
author=Kaempfer
So obviously the "Enter/Exit Vehicle" command doesn't work as intended (unless I'm missing something), so... is there a way to force a character to exit the vehicle they're riding via event? I'm trying to warp the player to the deck of their ship when you hit escape rather than it opening the menu. They warp to the deck just fine, but they're still on board the overworld vehicle! Obviously, that's no good.

Any ideas on a workaround? I'm using dynrpg so if there's a patch to fix this I will happily use that.
(EDIT: I had a post ready, but a power outrage just deleted everything)

Hi Kaempfer ♥

Yeah, the "Enter/Exit Vehicle" Command in RM2000/2003 generally tends to work, only when the player is either placed ontop or currently inside the vehicle.

Now, I haven't personally tried to do attempt this airship stuff myself, but I do know of some games that have - One example I can think of is an example from Don Miguel's RM2000 Sample Game:

(let me know if this is what you had in mind)

It's sort of like what you described but done in reverse - but instead of appointing a button to call the airship map, you can see @0:34 when the player lands the airship, they're immediately teleported back to the airship map.

There's another example, but I'll have to search around to see if I still have it.

EDIT: Check out Large's Example
I solved it with a workaround (I think). Please find here: Click me HARD
@kentona:
yo dawg I heard you liked airships so I put an airship in your airship

@LBR:
I still don't understand how he was able to teleport them SO IMMEDIATELY, but it's actually just the exiting that was giving me a problem. I managed to get entering to work awhile back, although it's very fickle. The nostalgia is so strong here...

@Large:
This is almost exactly how I had mine setup, only I disabled the main menu. I tried it with yours and it worked well! I wasn't sure why yours was working but mine wasn't, but...

It turns out I'm an idiot. In order for the "exit vehicle" command to work you need to have correct terrain setup to do so. This is obvious for the airship (you need to be able to land) but I was testing it with the ship. I thought since I could manually exit the ship that the "Exit vehicle" should have been able to, as well. But no, you need to start on a ship-passable tile (like the ocean) for it to work. I was teleporting directly onto the ship interior, which of course is NOT a ship-passable tile. So although hitting the key disembarked, the event command got confused and did nothing. By adding an intermediate map with the correct passabilities everything should work.

Thank you for helping me conquer my own dumbness!

Seriously, thanks, this solves a major problem I was facing.

edit: the "enter/exit" vehicle command is pretty damn finicky indeed, but I got it working for both the ship and the airship more or less exactly how I wanted it. I'm pretty happy right now, guys! Thanks again!
Pages: 1