EASYRPG [RPG MAKER 2000/2003 PLAYER] - DEVELOPER PERKS

Pages: 1
Hey,

possibly you've heard about easyrpg. An alternative RM 200/2003 interpreter. But not only can you play RM games with it, it also has some nice features to make your developer life easier. So I made this video to list them all.
There's also more videos to come, where I introduce features of the player that was modified for my game DEEP 8. They are essentially DynPlugins.

Who's working on this, btw? I think Pepsi mentioned it earlier, but I dunno. Can I add some ideas of things to expand upon? Whoever, pass this along before someone declares this engine "done". These are things that are noticeably absent in the tsukuru 2k3.

• Party Size does not count beyond 4. There should really be a Current Party Size (limit 4), but also a Party Size. As it is, without switches, it isn't even clear if the engine really even knows party members are there, and this certainly doesn't help if you want to divide something by 10 members. It also means that shifting the order is worthless. (Ideally, Order could actually swap party members and create a low tech way to party change. But I have a feeling this might mess with compatibility, so the more important one is just adding some support for heroes in party mentioned as reserve members.)
  • Monster Behavior events, there is no variable events, and in neither Monster nor Monster Party is there any discernible means to easily check status, and without some patch, no way to check monster status at all. The latter thing is a very annoying oversight.
  • What 2k3 does with pictures is blocks them from battle. There's a PicturesInBattle patch, but what that sometimes does is cause pictures in battle to hang after battle, forcing a manual remove. What should really happen is allowing pictures in battle (through Common Events) but partition battle pictures and non-battle, automatically erasing all pictures during transition.
  • I believe there's a Common This Event patch, because this events usually crash inside common events. You cannot for instance make boulder pushing behavior or door opening a common event.
  • From pushing blocks, I discovered that it appears ThisEvent is not actually this event. That is, when I make block puzzles, and I trigger a boulder to This EventX, which works fine... until of course I try to reuse the variable because I don't want 8 different boulder variables (and yes, I tried using variable reference). It's an overwrite issue. Ultimately, I got it to stop doing this by putting the XY info in the boulder events themselves, and then the last line using a variable to differentiate similar events.
    A lack of Local Switches is also thing, but there should be more of a distinct sense that making a variable isn't an overwrite. I guess what I really want, along with maybe local events, is a ThisID (effectively using the EventID) option on the Sprite section of variables. That way, instead of marking each boulder 1, 2, 3 with variables, I could simply do var ThisEventID, Set ThisEvent ThisID
  • Change Event Location should really have a means of importing a certain event (basically, copying then erasing after the common event or local event has finished). This would facilitate things like custom menus or stuff like firing arrows, as you wouldn't have to copypaste to every screen.
  • Monster Party and certain other events simply put "above" for variables. And these switches are ON by default
  • There seems to be no way do alot of things in battle (such as target All for monsters, which leads to annoying missing enemy glitches and loads of extra lines of coding) and there's poor interaction between battle and common events.
  • Basically, since the DynRPG probably wouldn't work, have a scripting system using C++, and basically add a page of code in the same way you add common event pages, only it allows free typing and copypasting from 2k3 codes. I could actually use my FileControl plugin.

The thinking is keep all 2k/2k3 settings for compatibility, just add menu options. Yeah, yeah, it's probly too difficult. I wanted to ask anyway, since I don't know how to make my own engine that would definitely address some of these oversights.
Pages: 1