PS1 CLASSIC, ANYONE?

Pages: first 123 next last
I've got one preordered, mostly because my old PS1 collection has been lost and I'd like something easy to carry to my friends' houses to play 2 player stuff on. I've heard some complaints about the list of games, mostly that Crash Bandicoot isn't on there. I'm actually quite happy with the list o' games on it, especially Persona. I also had a lot of fun playing Twisted Metal with my cousins back in the day, and running over everybody with Warthog or whatever the monster truck was called.

What do you guys think of it so far?
already have a ps3, it has more ps1 games and I've amassed quite a collection over the years. The biggest bummer is really the controllers not being analog, most of the time when a classic system comes out I just go for the controllers so I can use them for "authentic" emulation via USB converters. N64 classic controllers would especially be sweet.
I never owned a PS1, so the nostalgia is not strong for me. I'm going to pass.
I have no need to buy a PS classic as I already have my PSX and it still works just fine. Talk about classic! This is the square blocky PS, not the nice rounded one, too. The dark grey one.
I thought this topic would be about Phantasy Star 1 x_x
I'll excuse myself out the back door now.
author=Liberty
I have no need to buy a PS classic as I already have my PSX and it still works just fine. Talk about classic! This is the square blocky PS, not the nice rounded one, too. The dark grey one.

That's the one I've got, too. Sadly, most of the games are gone. The only ones I have left from back in the day are Bushido Blade 1 & 2, Ehrgeiz and Mortal Kombat Mythologies (don't judge me). Some asshat in middle school borrowed my final fantasy 7 at one point and lost disc 3, my final fantasy 8 quit working for some reason, and the rest were slowly sold off as I got more into PS2 and PC. I'm still pissed about FF7.
author=Dyhalto
I thought this topic would be about Phantasy Star 1 x_x
I'll excuse myself out the back door now.

i thought this would be a planetside thread
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

I have a PC.
pianotm
The TM is for Totally Magical.
Still have my original PS1, too. Covered in Tomb Raider stickers I got out of an issue of EGM.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
Never had a physical PS1, but, I had a physical PS2 with which to play PS1 games on.

Of course, now I'm a terrible person that uses an emulator for PS1 and PS2, but, I have the physical disks for 99% of the games that I run on those emulators.
There's maybe two or so games on there that I would want to play. So no, not really.
pianotm
Marrend
Never had a physical PS1, but, I had a physical PS2 with which to play PS1 games on.

Of course, now I'm a terrible person that uses an emulator for PS1 and PS2, but, I have the physical disks for 99% of the games that I run on those emulators.

1% Shame! Shame on you!

Alright! That's it! Dishonor! Dishonor on your whole family! Make a note of this: Dishonor on you! Dishonor on your cow!
I actually thought this thread was about the PS...PS One Classics? PS1 Classics? PS Classics? Whatever it is that lets you download PSX games for your PS3/PS4. Which, incidentally, has been devouring my life lately.

I've got a lot of PS1 discs so I might want to grab a console that can play them. Depends on the price point (care to share?) and the memory card situation (likewise).

author=Liberty

Nice! I lost my PS1 somewhere over the years. I'm pretty sure I still have my original SNES safely stored away somewhere though, and I think it might even still work.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
author=pianotm
1% Shame! Shame on you!

Alright! That's it! Dishonor! Dishonor on your whole family! Make a note of this: Dishonor on you! Dishonor on your cow!

Dishonor on me? Fine. I can take that. Dishonor on my family? Eh, maybe.

But dishonor on my cow!?

You go too far.
Swords or pistols?

I heard yesterday about a kickstarter for a "PC Classic"...still don't know if it's for real or a scam or whatever. I mean...why? If you have a semi-modern computer you can run old games, assuming they work on DosBox.
Games that specifically work on Windows are ahead of ones that run on DOS. There are games that sit in that strange range of PC games released around 95-2004 that are a hit or miss when it comes to running on modern Windows. Anything using a really outdated direct x is likely going to require steps to get it running properly (hope in god you get fullscreen properly with proper aspect ratio, no blurriness or artifacting issues).

The game Dark Stone I had to roll back my audio drivers to default to stop the audio from skipping and this was with the legally purchased GoG copy. There were no clues on the forums on how to fix the various problems and I ended up just developing my own solutions. To have a box that doesn't make you go through that would be a blessing. Though I've no idea on the particular specs of the "PC Classic" though, so if it's a raspberry pi with dosbox auto installed then that obviously doesn't address the consumer need I mentioned.
author=Darken
Games that specifically work on Windows are ahead of ones that run on DOS. There are games that sit in that strange range of PC games released around 95-2004 that are a hit or miss when it comes to running on modern Windows. Anything using a really outdated direct x is likely going to require steps to get it running properly (hope in god you get fullscreen properly with proper aspect ratio, no blurriness or artifacting issues).

The game Dark Stone I had to roll back my audio drivers to default to stop the audio from skipping and this was with the legally purchased GoG copy. There were no clues on the forums on how to fix the various problems and I ended up just developing my own solutions. To have a box that doesn't make you go through that would be a blessing. Though I've no idea on the particular specs of the "PC Classic" though, so if it's a raspberry pi with dosbox auto installed then that obviously doesn't address the consumer need I mentioned.

The video on their website (Here: https://unitetechno.com/dt_catalog/pc-classic/) specifically says "Classic DOS games", so I'm not holding my breath. I'm fully aware of hard it is to get post-DOS games running. Sometimes I can get them to work with compatibility mode, sometimes not. Then there's a few games - for me Starcraft, Morrowind and Deus Ex (probably Warcraft 3, too) that just run with no issues.
PS2 over here, no real need for a PS Classic personally. Anyone that never owned an OG PS1 or a PS2 owes it to themselves to pick up the Classic, though. PlayStation for like, ya'll~
pianotm
Did you see the games list? There's literally only four or five games on the US/UK version I would play, and I have them all. The Japanese version gets all the good games. What the fuck, Sony? The Japanese version gets Parasite Eve but the US doesn't? Why isn't Einhander on here, or Final Fantasy Tactics?

https://www.techradar.com/news/playstation-classic-games-pre-order-release-date-mini
Pages: first 123 next last