WHAT ANNOYS YOU IN A GAME?

author=VerifyedRasta link=topic=2479.msg58906#msg58906 date=1233173327
author=TooManyToasters link=topic=2479.msg58888#msg58888 date=1233171929
RPG Maker games starting with the words "Tales of." Don't do that unless you're making a Tales fangame.

That's why i didn't download "Tales of Worlds" by Dark Gaia
It shouldn't put you off THAT much.
author=TooManyToasters link=topic=2479.msg58952#msg58952 date=1233186513
RPG Maker games starting with the words "Tales of." Don't do that unless you're making a Tales fangame.

So...if there was a game called "Tales of Stupidity" you're expecting it to be a "Tales of..." fangame? I'm just saying, Tales is a pretty common "RPG Word" and of...is a pretty common word.

Plus, isn't there already a Tales of The World game out there?
author=Mitsuhide_The_Vagrant link=topic=2479.msg58961#msg58961 date=1233189576
author=TooManyToasters link=topic=2479.msg58952#msg58952 date=1233186513

So...if there was a game called "Tales of Stupidity" you're expecting it to be a "Tales of..." fangame? I'm just saying, Tales is a pretty common "RPG Word" and of...is a pretty common word.

Plus, isn't there already a Tales of The World game out there?
Tales is a common word, yeah, but "Tales of ___" is a bad idea since there's already a major RPG series using those names.

And Tales of the World is a Tales subseries.
Actually, I made that game five years ago, when I was 12. It was my first project, and I actually was not familiar that the Tales Of series existed. It's not exactly widespread here in Australia.

When I found out that people weren't downloading it because it was called "Tales Of" and that there was a game called "Tales Of The World" I was speechless.
Hesufo
I am pretty interested in hooking up sometime. Screw me.
Well, judging a game by its title is pretty moronic.

Unless it's an even more moronic title, like "Project" or "Hero Adventures".

By the way, Dark Gaia, you should take more pride in your game Tales of Worlds as you did very well for the expected standards. Now, I haven't played THAT much but I must say it wasn't a bad game at all. I just hated the slow ATB bar. <_<

I mean, I myself played around with RPG Maker since I was like 9, but never to get into a serious, long project up until recently. I must congratulate you on achieving such a feat at an early age. Makes me feel like I've wasted all these years. T_T
author=Max McGee link=topic=2479.msg58853#msg58853 date=1233170221
Over time I have discovered that I hate RPGs where you don't have enough skills. I want to have at least three skills per character by the time I've leveled up three times, and if not, chances are I will get bored and quit.

So you like games that give you a bunch of filler moves that you'll never, ever use? :p
author=Yeaster link=topic=2479.msg59145#msg59145 date=1233236569
Over time I have discovered that I hate RPGs where you don't have enough skills. I want to have at least three skills per character by the time I've leveled up three times, and if not, chances are I will get bored and quit.

So you like games that give you a bunch of filler moves that you'll never, ever use? :p
Max McGee is my kind of audience!
dragonheartman
Developer, Starless Umbra / Heroes of Umbra
author=Hesufo link=topic=2479.msg59012#msg59012 date=1233196734
I agree, but I think people do. Sometimes it's best to have a more original title as to not confuse the players. For instance, my game was called Dragon Heart, but about one in five people would mistake it for a game based off the movie Dragonheart. To avoid confusion (I hadn't heard of the movie 'till after I named the game), I ended up changing my game's name to something more original. (And something of which I could nab the domain. heh heh heh)

The single thing that bothers me most is easily not knowing where to go or what to do in an RPG. It has probably been mentioned but sometimes it's really hard to find that one npc in the village that you need to talk to and sometimes an author can easily forget that we aren't as familiar with the village as he is.
Probably the latest thing that is bugging me is how difficult people are making the first battles out to be. I mean...it's very frustrating when your trying to learn about the system and mechanics, and then...boom your dead! I like it when the first areas is like a breeze, but gets harder as time goes on. But here? No. Kill the fucking player as fast as possible! ::)

That and not testing things thru before releasing.
What really annoys me is not giving the player an option to save after the introduction.
You know, the long ass cutscene that teaches you what the game is about and yada-yada-yada... Then after it's done, saving is disabled and there is no save point before the first boss.
author=dragonheartman link=topic=2479.msg59227#msg59227 date=1233252595
author=Hesufo link=topic=2479.msg59012#msg59012 date=1233196734
I agree, but I think people do. Sometimes it's best to have a more original title as to not confuse the players. For instance, my game was called Dragon Heart, but about one in five people would mistake it for a game based off the movie Dragonheart. To avoid confusion (I hadn't heard of the movie 'till after I named the game), I ended up changing my game's name to something more original. (And something of which I could nab the domain. heh heh heh)

So that's why you changed it. I remember playing Dragonheart: Chapter 3, The Prelude To Pandemonium a year or so ago on Kobra's Realm, and later I saw the exact same game under the name Starless Umbra.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
author=Yeaster link=topic=2479.msg59145#msg59145 date=1233236569

Is it really that hard to come up with three to five useful skills? Direct Damage, Buff, Debuff, Heal, Status Heal. That's five ARCHETYPES- each of them with dozens of permutations- just off the top of my head.