2021 GAMING DIARY

Fflo
Be careful ! I'm French
Pokémon Flora Sky:
Nothing much to say. Once you've beaten the first Gym Leader, you gain the right to use Rock Smash to go to the next zone.
Went through the super classic forest zone populated with Bug-types (Caterpie, Wurmple, Nincada). Trainers not too hard as their levels are around 12.
But once you reach the second gym city, you will be asked to go into a building and deal with Team Magma!
And that zone was clearly a game design mistake: did you know you will be forced to battle 2 important members (a scientist and a new admin) of Team Magma in a row at the end, without any healing between these battles? That caught me off-guard and caused my first loss. And the levels increased a lot! Average of 17! 5 more levels in 20 minutes of play!

Pokémon Pearl, randomized:
Haven't played this since a while. Last time, I was about to go to the top of Mt. Coronet and eliminate Team Galaxy.
My team was around LV45. Opponents Pokémon and wild ones were around LV38. Not too much trouble.
The tag battle versus Mars and Jupiter should have been featured in a Dragon Ball Z episode. Super aggressive attacks everywhere! Chaos! (You may laugh when the Wurmple used Seed Flare to eliminate Claudia/Gorebyss)
Discord video (2 min 45)

Cyrus was less exciting. His strategy was mostly defensive.

His last one was Wartortle Shadow Tag with Blast Burn/Hypnosis/Destiny Bond. Risky in a Nuzlocke, but lucky for me I didn't play with the Nuzlocke rules.
If I would have played with Nuzlocke rules, my game would have been over at the second route! Gible trapped to death by an Icy Wind Wartortle ; Drifblim obliterated with a Mirror Coat Skitty!
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
Totally forgot about posting last week's progress yesterday! So, here it is today instead.

Grandia 2

Inside the control room is another automata. Apparently, this one is a commander unit, and has orders to bark to Tio. Tio refuses to obey on the basis of the commands coming down from a source that no longer exists. If these units really are a leftover from the Battle of Good and Evil, then, this likelihood is very much within the realm of possibility. However, the commander unit can only understand that automata are designed to follow orders, and takes punitive measures against Tio. This eventually leads to a fight against said unit.

With their combined efforts, the party destroys the automata. After the fight, Tio apologizes to it. She recognizes that it was only following the orders it was given who knows how long ago, and had no other purpose to fulfill. She, too, was like that, until only recently. Perhaps you could even call this a sign of sympathy.

Either way, the control mechanism has been destroyed, and the barrier of wind taken down. This allows the Granasaber to be in view, but, there is still a problem. It's way too large for a human to carry, much less use in combat. How would Ryudo and company even deliver this artifact to Zera? Well, in any event, High Priestess Selene has deigned herself to be here. Whither this means she's been following the party all this time, or simply lying here, in wait, all this time is unknown.

In any event, she congratulates Elena on getting this far, and claims to be here to "help". Which, by itself, is kinda creepy. Then, she prays to the Body of Valmar, and slits her palm with a knife as to make a blood sacrifice to it. What follows is definitely not a good sign. It appears that the Granasaber is right smack dab in the center of a Seal of Granas, with Selene's blood sacrifice breaking said seal. The earth quakes and trembles as the Body of Valmar awakens, with Selene saying that Elena's role must be fulfilled exactly as ordained. Whatever that means!

The Body of Valmar's form is that of an amorphous slime. It just awoke, so, my guess is that it would take on a more powerful form if left unchecked. Elena contemplates Selene's words, even as the thing emerges. She then calls out to Millenia, and asks to do as she wishes. Millenia then takes the stage, and flies the party into the slime, with the intent of taking out it's core. That should stop it from moving, and probably allow an opportunity for Millenia to incorporate the Body with the other Parts of Valmar she's taken.

Of course, it's a bit of a maze to get to the core, but, the party manages. The fight, itself, isn't too bad, though, I admit to feeding this party another set of stat-seeds. Which may have a little something to do with it. Either way, Millenia does her thing, and incorporates the Body of Valmar into herself. As for the Granasaber, it's actually a vehicle that the automata used during the Battle of Good and Evil, and it responds to Tio's commands. The party is teleported to the control room, where Tio fires up the generator, and gets the thing moving towards the Mount Hiem Papal State. Who knows what will happen there, but, it sounds like Zera might have some additional explanation to do. Particularly in regards to Selene.

After the party lands, an eclipse of Valmar's moon over the sun makes the people think this is the Day of Darkness, which herald's Valmar's revival. Many went to the cathedral for safety, however, the Cathedral Knights slaughtered any who dared try to approach. Welp, I guess that's just one more reason to visit the cathedral!

When the party gets there, who stands at the foot of the cathedral, but High Priestess Selene! As it turns out, she was host to the Heart of Valmar. Elena is somehow able to perform Millenia's ritual of consumption on it, after it's beaten. Which is an interesting point, by itself.

So, we finally learn that Elena's mission from Zera was, in fact, to allow Millenia to consume the other pieces of Valmar onto herself, then to allow the Granasaber to do it's work after "Valmar" is complete. This doesn't stop the resurrection of Valmar in any way, mind you. The plan was never about stopping it. On the surface, it seems more about killing it while it was still fresh, and perhaps not in full control of it's powers. Of course, one must realize that the host body for Millenia, Elena, would have to be sacrificed for this plan to work. For Elena, she's likely scared now, but, if sacrificing her life can bring happiness, and destroy Valmar for good, she'll do it. As for Millenia, my guess is that she's none-too-happy about this plan, but, even so, she fulfilled her duty within the context of Zera's scheme.

It only gets worse from here. The party soon learns that Zera had no intention of destroying Valmar, but instead, to take onto himself the powers that Millenia has absorbed, and become onto a God. Man, where's Fei Fong Wong, and the Xenogears when ya need him?

Let's give a little context into Zera's thinking. During the Battle of Good and Evil, Granas died, while Valmar's pieces were scattered to the four corners of the world. The Church of Granas was basically founded on the lie that Granas still lives, and is the source of all that is Good in this world. Perhaps this was to hide the truth so that people could have hope, or some like idiocy. However, as the logic must follow, if the source of all that is good in this world has died, what real hope is there? Also, since Valmar would likely desire to be recombined and resurrected, how could mere humans stop it?

Of course, this is complete garbage. The source of good and evil in the world is humans, and the actions they take. It had very little to do with Valmar, or Granas. Those two may have been supremely powerful beings, and certainly a rallying point for the Battle of Good and Evil. However, the concepts of "good" and "evil" exist apart from them.

There is a certain irony, here, concerning doors that should never be opened. First, it was the Door of Darkness in Cyrum Kingdom. It was opened to reveal a factory for the production of auotmata. Now we have the Holy Door in Mount Saint Hiem's cathedral, revealing that Granas is dead.

In any event, Zera kidnaps Elena, and has a handy-dandy teleport to Valmar's Moon, which is where he'll perform the ritual. Tio says the party could reach Valmar's Moon via the Granasaber, but, it's energy reserves are quite low. There's no guarantee it'll make it there, and who knows about a return trip. Still, Ryudo isn't one to sit around, even if there is a threat of the Horns awakening. He simply can't allow Zera to have his way. Besides, he was hired to protect Elena, and he refuses to have even one botched job on his record.

The surface of Valmar's moon makes use of an "inside body" tileset. The Body of Valmar had that look too, and some of the stuff here would probably be at home there too.

Final Fantasy 12

Baltheir's airship, the Strahl, is a pretty sleek-looking ship. However, it's in-game use is fairly limited, with the game relying on players obtaining Teleport Stones, which allow fast travel among the gold-colored save crystals that the player has found. Though, there are places it can dock in the game, they don't come into play until much, much later, and even then, fast travel via Teleport Stones are still likely to be more preferable.

The FMV of the Strahl making it's landing into Bhujerba is part of the opening menu sequence. I remember being at a GameStop in Ohio on vacation, seeing this sequence, hearing the infamous "Prelude", and I basically had no choice but to buy it. It was the collector's edition too, with the bonus DVD. Still have the box and original disks and manual to this day.

A few steps outside the areodrome, and the party speaks of their itinerary here. The Lushu Mines is the likeliest place where those bounty hunters might hang out. As the party speaks, it gets the attention of a child of maybe 10 or 12? I'm not sure. Gotta love how Baltheir was all "no names" (Basch is supposed to be dead, if you recall) and Vaan openly uses Bache's name like an idiot. The boy calls himself Lamont, and is quite well-spoken. Probably a noble of some kind. Wants to come with us, and eventually joins as a guest.

The party delves into the mines until they come across a clearing, which has what Lamont was looking for. There is research in the Empire concerning the manufacture of nethicite. Magitice is a stone that radiates magikal energies, whereas nethicite consumes it. Or, perhaps it's more like nethicite stores it's energies until some method releases it. The practical use of such an attribute in regards to war would likely be to tip the balance of power to the side that has the most neticite, or the ones with the most stored energies. Kinda like a magikal arms race, if you will.

Lamont overplays his hand a little, diverging information about research from Draklor Laboratories. This gets Baltheir's attention, all right, but, of course, his interrogation of the boy is cut off by the mercs. Lamont makes for a bit of distraction, and it's enough to allow the rest of the party to start making their escape as well. They are chased back through the mines for about four rooms before the pursuit ceases, and the party can take a more casual stride to the exit. Where Lamont meets up with a Judge, the Marquis, and Penelo, who had been let loose previously. As it happens, "Lamont" is actually Larsa of House Solidor, and a brother to Vanye, the newly installed consul of Rabinastre. Penelo is taken away to stay with Larsa in the Marquis' estate. Fran seems to think she'll be in good hands.

Either way, there are rumors that Marquis Ondore is helping the Resistance may be a rumor the party can use. He did proclaim the death of Captain Basch, and his position with the Empire would surely be compromised if the rumors proved false. Also, Basch being alive would likely be news the Resistance would want to hear. So, Vaan gets it in his head to go around town, and proclaim that Basch lives. This section is something of a mini-game, where players are tasked to make Vaan's proclamations to as many people as possible, but to keep his distance from guards and other patrols. The town guides serve as a huge boost to the speed at which the rumors spread, and are also a factor in this mini-game.

As it happens, various sections of Bhujerba were off-limits when Larsa/Lamont was with the party. One such location was a client for one of the guild-hunts, so I actually do that first before continuing with the story. I'm generally okay with the guild quests up to the point were the title within the guild is "Riskbreaker". There are two reasons for this. One is because I find the reference to Vagrant Story endearing. The other is because I basically stop caring about them at that point, and they only get harder to perform as the game goes on.

In any event, Vaan makes enough clamor to get the attention of the Resistance members within Bhujerba. Among these members is a courtier to the Marquis that arranges the audience Basch wants. Ondore can't make open moves against Archades, obviously, so what help he could provide is likely limited. Indeed, he has the party arrested, and sent aboard to the Leviathan. While this move is mostly to keep face, if Basch is to rescue Amalia, this might be the best bet.

As it happens, Amalia is present when the party is brought before a Judge named Ghis. The game now reveals to Vaan that Amalia is Lady Ashe, though she has no proof of her royal linage. Basch tries to negotiate, in that presenting the Dusk Shard would be such proof, and only he knows of it's location. Except that the Dusk Shard in question is what Vaan stole from the treasury, and is soon handed over to Judge Ghis rather begrudgingly. The group is taken away, with the princess stashed elsewhere. Vossler had infiltrated the Leviathan as a guard, and helps the party escape, and will need their help to get Ashe out as well.

It becomes increasingly apparent that Ashe is of the belief that Basch slew her father, and is thus a traitor not to be trusted. Still, if there is a route of escape, it is with Basch. Vossler can't do it alone, and it seems like Larsa has some business with him. It kinda feels like the party came across Larsa at random than by some design, but, at least Penelo re-joins. I'd rather keep Vosser as a guest for a bit longer, but, as stated, he goes off with Larsa.

The party makes most of the way to an escape pod, but, Judge Ghis awaits them there. After a bit of knocking around, the party ditches the Leviathan, and makes it's way back to Bhujerba. Judge Ghis is still very much alive, so, the party'll likely cross swords with him again. With all six party members obtained, I get the sense I should take a break from the story for a time, and maybe do some hunts, or whatever.

There's effectively two hunts available, and one becomes unlocked after visiting the Marquis. With this in mind, the issue at hand is that Ashe's royal identity can be called into question. With the Dawn Shard in the hands of Judge Ghis, and thus Archadia, Ashe is intent on obtaining the Dusk Shard from King Raithwall's tomb. The fabulous treasures of King Raithwall is enough to get Baltheir and Fran's attention. Basch must protect Her Royal Highness, even if she has no proof of such a birthright. Vaan and Penelo just kinda just tag along for the ride, conveniently forgetting that they are in the employ of Megelo's Sundries. Well, let's be honest. This adventure is going to be a lot more exciting than anything they might run across if they go back to Rabinastre.

It's a trek and a half to Raithwall's tomb, and the Strahl can only go so far. There's a cut-scene where Vaan is talking to Penelo about how skystones loose their effect in this area, and most airships, including the Strahl use skystones to do their thing.
AtiyaTheSeeker
In all fairness, bird shrapnel isn't as deadly as wood shrapnel
Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
Been playing this almost exclusively. Just finished all the cooking sidequests. Never again. Given that the last ingredient had a base 1% drop rate, was obscure, and I needed two of them? Fuck that noise. Regardless, I'm on the last stage of the game. I wanna get the sidequests done before the finale. Two (maybe three) optional bosses, and handing over an endgame material as a burial gift.

After that? I'm going to alchemize the ultimate big-ass sword, march up to Gremory, and shove said greatsvord where the moon don't shine.

Also. I don't know if there's any discussion in Bloodstained's fan communities about this, but... is a hellish ice cave a Japanese myth and legend trope? Because the most postgame of postgame dungeon in Dragon Quest 3's GBC port was also an ice cave. I could also see this being like Cocytus, the final layer of Hell in Dante's Inferno, considering that such a layer is also eternally frozen over. Hard to say.

Final Fantasy Tactics
Speaking of hellish ice, I managed to steal Burich's magical ice gun the first time I attempted the fight in this save file. First attempt too, despite only a 29% chance for Nazreen to filch it.

And that's the only progress to report this time. Bloodstained and depression have been eating away at my free time for games. I'mma little inchworm, moving an inch at a time ♪
Marrend
Really pushing towards finishing Grandia 2, apparently. As one can see from the following notes from this week.

Grandia 2

The party eventually spies Zera and Elena from above. Zera's still blabbing about how the fact that Granas is dead means there must not be Light, and the only way to save the world is the revival of Valmar. Elena sounds like she's buying it. From his vantage point, Ryudo can only watch. It's more than a little frustrating, which I'm sure is doing wonders for the re-awakening of the Horns within him.

The party soon fights a boss that came up from below, which they handle with ease. Still, a barrier and his relative height to Elena prevent Ryudo from doing much of anything. Elena serves her purpose as a willing puppet, and the soul of Millenia is drawn out. Millenia is not particularly inclined to become Valmar incarnate. She'd rather stay as she is, and be with Ryudo, even as she curses him, and that she feel in love with him. Millenia curses Elena as well, as Elena never considered anything beyond what her duty was, or the consequences of that duty. That Elena was blinded by that duty to Zera's true intentions, and just generally being a puppet to Zera's scheme.

None of this matters, as Zera had made his own preparations. With, or without Millenia's consent, Zera will revive Valmar. Even as Millenia's power is drained, she releases Elena, and sends her to the other side of the barrier with Ryudo and the others. Perhaps it's a desperate attempt that is meaningless before Zera's ascension, but, Millenia still loves Ryudo. She says something interesting, too, before being devoured.

<---->
Millenia: I'm so glad I meet you. That I fell in love with you. Elena is me. The two of us will live on, no matter what.
Ryudo: MILLENIA!
Millenia: I will protect you! So! LIVE!
<---->

Zera's not impressed by Melleina's display of affection, or her last-ditch effort in teleporting the party in the hopes they would escape. He's not particularly bothered by the Horns being missing, either. He seems to have assumed Millenia would have them after the defeat of Melfice. Even if the peices aren't 100% completely there, he still performs the ritual to become, and I quote, "the WILL of Valmar". Greeeeeaaaaaaat.

No doubt, the party will have to do something about Zera/Valmar, but, for the moment, they must escape this moon. Tio, once again, warns that the power reserves of the Granasaber is low, and might not be able to make the return journey. However, it's the only means of escape, and there's not enough time to come up with another plan. The party gets to the ship, with Mareg fending off enemies as Tio pleads with the Granasaber. Tio isn't willing to leave Mareg behind, which makes her former master proud. It shows she is thinking with her heart. The Granasaber remains silent until Mareg makes his first, and only, prayer to Granas. Sealing Mareg's fate, the thing activates, leaving him behind on the moon, and taking the others to saftey.

The Granasaber crash lands near to the Kingdom of Cyrum, though the party doesn't seem worse for wear. Elena's confused about why Millenia would save her, and Tio has pangs of regret for learning what a "heart" is. I'm not too sure about Ryudo's condition. Before, he was lamenting his inability to protect Millenia, or stop the revival of Valmar. Now, some monsters have decided to attack Cyrum. Which infuriates Ryudo further. Which is no doubt food for the Horns that lie within him. It's just one thing after another, and he just can't worry about that right now. He'll first worry about the attack on Cyrum, then he'll have concerns with the Horns, and how to deal with Zera.

It takes maybe five minutes before the party runs across Prince Roan, who's fending off some nasties. Ryudo and company help out, and relay the latest happenings after this settle down a bit. Roan's counsel has suggested that Valmar be left alone for now, and incomplete. The belief being that as long as it is incomplete, there is yet hope to find a way to defeat it. Which makes a certain amount of sense, but, this also means Ryudo has to sit on the sidelines, and he can't quite abide by this. He reasons that the Horns that reside within him may be the only way to defeat Valmar. For his part, he might be right. However, in his current metal state, it's too dangerous to face off against Valmar now. The inherent danger of the Horns being released, only to join with the other pieces, is just to great. Eventually, Ryudo is talked out of facing off against Valmar.

Even if Ryudo's condition was more stable to have a showdown with Valmar, I'm not sure how he would go about doing it. Valmar's on the Moon, terrifying the people, and, to paraphrase Zera's words, purifying the sinful world through death. The one way to reach Valmar's Moon, the Granasaber, is no more. Even if it was still in once piece, it's energy reserves were likely depleted in it's last voyage.

The question remains of where they can go that would be of any benefit. The answer to that comes soon enough, as Valmar/Zera descends onto the earth. Something Ryudo says triggers a memory from Roan about the Royal Mausoleum. Under normal circumstances, entrance is forbidden, except during funerals. Last time Roan was down there was when his mother died. However, as Cyrum did work for Valmar at one point, there might also be something down there about how it could be beaten. It's not the best of leads, but, it's what the party has to work with, given what little time it has.

A secret door opens with Roan's medal. Beyond is a dungeon. With a name like "Birthplace of the Gods", one must wonder what the heck is down here.

Final Fantasy 12

The Ogir-Yensa and Nam-Yensa Sandsea are only memorable in that they are among the best places to active a chain of 100 kills of a single enemy type. Which, I think, might be an "achievement" that shows up in the Pirate's Den? I dunno, I feel like it's been a while since I've bothered with that kind of stuff.

The Tomb has a boss fight pretty much right in the front of the dungeon, even before going into it. Though, calling it a boss might be too kind, since it maybe took my party all of five minutes to take it down? Be that as it may, there's a Gate Crystal at the entrance, so I can report the hunt my party performed. Turns out there's three more available. I might want to do them a little later, though. The Ring Wrym, in particular, is one I always prefer to do after obtaining the Gil Toss technique, and that hunt considered rank 3, while the other two are considered rank 5. Yeah, later is definitely what's going to happen here.

I've also been feeling like starting another LP for a while, but, I'm not sure what I should LP that would actually garner some (or any, really) kind of audience.
AtiyaTheSeeker
Final Fantasy Tactics
The end is nigh. Just unlocked Mullonde on the map, and I don't want to spoil too much more of the game. Considering I'd only ever gotten as far as unlocking Cid before, I have reached uncharted territory. Managed to get Ramza to learn Ultima but my gods, there's a reason why they gave me the OP T.G. Cid. That fight where I can learn Ultima, of course. ;-;

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
What a journey this one has been. The other day, I'd completed the other main sidequests, made the best greatsvord, and... well, I used Gremory's weakness against her, but certainly shoved it up the ass of the final bosses. All I would have left is to fight the secret boss and the secret level but... shucks. I've won. There enough left open to allow for a Ritual of the Night 2 but... shucks.

IGA, his team and his backers are all living proof that one can create a worthy spiritual successor indie game from a jilted dev and a beloved franchise. This passionate game made the perfect alchemical formula for success where others have only turned gold into lead. I don't think I need to say who.

May Bloodstained sunder the night once again, someday. But for now, this was a blast to play and I highly recommend it.
Marrend
This week, I finished Grandia 2. Final Fantasy 12 might be on my updates for a while, but, I felt I needed to put something else on here. I was between Final Fantasy 8, Legend of Dragoon, and Suikoden 4. The result of that decision is apparent enough, so I won't get into it too much more.

Grandia 2

It took some doing, but, the party reached the bottom of the Birthplace of the Gods. There, they learn the a few truths.

First thing is first. The Seals of Granas/Valmar were never intended to seal Valmar. They were constructed to attune the essence of Valmar to a human host.

However, it seems possible that the system in this place could release the Horns within Ryudo, and his soul would not have to be sacrificed. Of course, if he is to remain himself, he cannot give into hate. The will of the Horns is to combine with the other pieces, so, you can bet that it will do all it can to enrage Ryudo.

Ryudo may be willing to undergo the trial, but, the other party members aren't so willing. Ryudo is set on his course, and does a bit of a pep talk to each of his comrades. Ryduo proceeds to the trials, and makes a very good showing of resisting Valmar's temptations. He sorta slips up when Valmar throws logic that what he seeks is power. Which, in a sense, he is. He seeks the power to defeat Valmar. Ryudo may not need the power of a god to defeat Valmar, but, surely, he can't do it on his own strength. Isn't that why he's trying to release the Horns in the first place?

Valmar strikes Ryudo down, and his consciousness fades as the platform he's on descends into lava, only to disappear. Which is certainly not a good sign.

Outside, the Cryum's castle burns in the distance. Roan evacuates who he can, even as Valmar approaches. Elena runs back to the entrance of the Birthplace of the Gods, and does the only thing she can think of that can be of help. She sings.

Back to Ryudo, yes, he's not dead! Yet, something is off. By all accounts, he should be dead. When his vision clears, his form is that of a monster. This is another trial that Valmar has put forward, telling him that this form was granted to him because it's the nature he's hid even from his own self: that of vile wickedness, with a heart full of Darkness. Ryudo refuses to accept this. As he yells, a faint echo of a song resounds. With this assist from Elena, Ryudo breaks from Valmar's clutches, and regains his old form.

Back outside, the survivors have joined Elena in her song. Within the ruined city, a young boy notices a peculiar light. His mother, on instinct, tells him to stay away. It becomes larger and brighter, and more citizens gather to watch it grow. This is neither the light of the sun, nor the light of Granas that has long been dead. This is the light of Ryudo coming back, Granasaber in hand. No, not a Granasaber that Tio could pilot, but the kind of sword that the people of Garlan could have worshiped. A legendary sword that can pierce the Darkness, and bring the light of hope and human potential to bear.

Valmar/Zera is not particularly happy with the showing of human potential, and display of the power of Light that yet remains in the human heart. So, he invites the party to show him this power, and how it is naught before a so-called true god. This means trudging through yet another dungeon. Which kinda just makes me groan to be perfectly honest. However, it is what it is.

I definitely loose track of my location a number of times. It probably doesn't help matters where there are flying enemies zipping about, and/or teleporting right into the party, forcing an engagement before I can re-obtain my bearings. Still, the party faces off against Valmar/Zera. Beat it to a pulp, too. It decries itself, refusing to admit that it was defeated by mere humans. It tries playing a trick, and summons forth the image of Millenia. The image may fool Ryudo for a bit, but not Elena.Another boss fight ensues against the false Millenia, which the party defeats just as handily.

So, if that was a fake, where is the real Millenia? I don't pretend to understand the technicalities behind this, but, Elena and Millenia are one, just as Millenia said on Valmar's Moon. Like, Elena is somehow able to project Millenia, and she becomes physical. The souls that were once fused are now separate. Though, they may yet share their existence on some level.

Anyway, the party (which now consists of Ryudo, Elena, and Millenia) is in the final area, with bosses on parade before facing off against Zera/Valmar. Naturally, this fight can only end one way, with Ryudo and company on top. Zera had no hope for the future, or humanity. He only saw that Granas had fallen, and assumed there was no Light in the world. He became self-centered, and sacrificed the lives of many of his believers to attain godhood, but, to what end? His final words where that he might have been afraid of what the future held. Yet, he only feared because, again, he assumed there was no Light. He assisted the resurrection of Valmar, as it was the only still-living "god". That he wanted to become Valmar may have been more than a small dose of megalomania, though. Like, the guy was willing to "purify" the world by committing genocide on humankind. To be a "perfect existence" by virtue of being the only existence.

That aside, the Granacliffs fill with water, the long-held wound of the world, healed. As for the people, they may yet take time to heal, or to return to any semblance of normalcy. The game gives us a bit of a tour of the world, and shows us a bit of the aftermath with Roan. He meets with every party member, starting with Tio at Cyrum, then travels to Agear to meet with Millenia. From thense, to Nanan to speak with the spirit of Mareg, and then to Mirumu to meet with Elena. Nobody seems to know the whereabouts of Ryudo, his last message was that he had still one more thing to do. The last cut-scene before the credits roll is of Ryudo burying the Granasaber, and asking the spirit of this brother if he's watching. The last save-file, which was before fighting Zera/Valmar, records 21 hours, 46 minutes, and 21 seconds of play-time.

Final Fantasy 12

The Tomb of Raithwall has not one, but two Demon Walls in adjoining rooms to guard it. The first of these is an entirely optional fight, and is quite tough for where a typical party should be at this point in the game. My party is probably over leveled, but, I choose not to fight the thing. The other Demon Wall is neither optional, and is likely within the realm of where the party could be at.

The dungeon, itself, isn't that remarkable, outside of a bit of a puzzle to unlock the depths, where, of course, another boss awaits. This boss is the first of many Esper fights strewn throughout the game, and this particular Esper is required by the story to advance said story much, much later on. I've never used Espers/summons outside of the story, so, I don't know how useful they are. I just know they cost a chunk of MP to summon.

I'm not 100% sure what the party's plans were once they obtained the Dawn Shard, but, they will have to be on hold for a while. They get captured by Archadies again. Apparently, their airships don't use skystones. Or, if they do, their skystones aren't affected by this area as other skystones are. Judge Ghis goes straight to the point, and asks for the Dawn Shard. It seems Vossler made a bargain with the Judge to trade the Stone to allow Archadies to recognize Lady Ashe's birthright, and to return her to the throne of Dalmasca. Let's not mince words, though, she'd probably be a puppet ruler, whose strings are controlled by Archadies.

While Lady Ashe might now consider Vossler a traitor, I don't think he was wrong. Even Lady Ashe is cognizant that Dalmasca cannot fight Archadies alone. What allies it does have are either fallen (Nebradia), or it's hands are tied, and cannot make moves in the open (Bhujerba). Perhaps Vossler was impatient for results, but, I think the idea was to give Dalmasca time to get into a position where it could, eventually, rebel. Though, it's hands may be as tied as Bhujerba's.

As the party gets taken to the Shiva, and processed, Judge Ghis gets it into his head to gauge the power of the Dawn Shard. They apparently have instruments that do this, and to summarize their findings, IT'S OVER NINE THOUSAAAAAAAND! Fran goes berserk, and breaks her bonds with brute force, while Balther causally unlocks the others. The party then fights against Vossler, as the party in it's current state of mind is a threat to the future of Dalmasca that he has perceived. Alas, he is felled. With his last breath, he laments that he might have acted too quick, or that Basch's return may have been too late. Probably a mixture of the two.

In any event, the Stone has made the drive systems of the Shiva run amuck. A great explosion as the Dawn Shard releases it's power, and Ghis' entire fleet is destroyed. Vaan and company barely get out of the shockwave. After the shockwave clear, Penelo notices an object floating in the sky, among a cloud of Mist. This is the Dawn Shard, which the party is all too happy to reclaim.

Back in Rabinastre, the party goes over it's next move. Well, it's more like Ashe mulling over how she should get revenge against Archadies, and willing to use the Dawn Shard as for that purpose. If what happened to Ghis' fleet is any indication of what it can do, she might just be able to pull it off, too. There's just one small problem. Ashe has no clue how to go about using the thing. Fran suggests that the Garif might know. Their lands are to the south, and east. However, it's probably high-time I look into those hunts from before.

As for the journey to Jahara, the Garif lands, it wasn't that bad. Then again, I had a vague idea where they were, so I might not have wasted as much time than if I went in blind. In any event, the Garif weren't actually any help. Not only do they not know how to use the Dawn Shard either, but, can detect that it has no power left with which to use. It would take centuries of absorbing Mist before it could pull something like what it did against Ghis' fleet again.

This news is of little comfort to Lady Ashe, naturally. Yet, perhaps not all hope is lost. Larsa has decided to drop by, and ask for Ashe's help. How the hell he knew where Ashe was is beyond me, but, let's put that aside, and try and make sense of his plan.

Larsa's plan is for Ashe to visit Mount Bur-Omisace, and speak to the Grand Kiltias there. He's of the opinion that the Kiltias would recognize Ashe as the rightful Queen of Dalmasca. With her rightful status thus recognized, she would bid for peace between Archadies and Rozarria. To be perfectly honest, I don't really understand why either party would listen to her, even if she was officially recognized. Larsa reasons that Ashe would want peace because if peace talks falter, Dalmasca would be the battlefield, and the probability that Vayne would use Nethicite is a matter that cannot be entirely ignored. The boy is willing to become the party's "captive" (read: a guest) until they reach the place.

Ashe is, of course, none too pleased to help Archadies with anything. However, Larsa's got a point about Vayne using Nethictie. Rabanastre, itself, might find itself in the same state as Nabudis. Which, by the way, is basically the magical equivalent of a nuclear holocaust area.

Suikoden 4

Let me start of by saying that the opening of this game doesn't move me to want to play it as much as Suikoden 2's legendary opening, or Suikoden 3's opening. "La Mer" is a cool song, though.

That aside, a lone boat does it's patrol route. A lookout spies three ships coming at them, and goes to inform the captain, Snowe. He steels the crew for the upcoming fight, before engaging the enemy vessels. This thrusts the player into the war-battle system. The enemy's Rune Cannons can be either countered or cancelled with a Lightning Rune Cannon. There is only one Rune Cannon slot to work with during setup, and one of the characters can man a Lightning Rune Cannon. Which is mighty convenient, but, then again, this is the tutorial.

Even so, that was but one ship. There are the other two to worry about, and one gets close enough to board. This is our introduction to normal battles, and the game gives us a Unite to work with. The engagement lasts maybe four rounds before aborting on it's own. At this point, the game reveals that this situation was a training drill, and that the boarding party was the commander in charge of training these recruits. The commander, Glenn, offers Lazlo a one-on-one duel, but, thankfully, the game offers a quick break. Which I use to provide Lazlo with some Stat Stones. I mean, come on. It wouldn't be me playing a Suikoden game without a healthy feeding of Stat Stones, would it? This following duel is a tutorial, so one shouldn't expect too many false indicators for what the player should be doing.

With the training done, the time has come to return to Razil, and perform the Kindling Ritual as part of the graduation ceremony. It's something of a festival, with Snowe representing the class, and performing the ritual. I dunno if he's been given that honor simply because he's the son of the Lord Mayor of Razril, or if he also happens to the best student in the class.

Either way, Snowe is ultimately reluctant to perform the ritual, and has Lazlo do it instead. There's probably some symbology behind this, but, this ritual involves lighting torches that people hold in the street as the player makes their way to the town hall. After the events clear, Lazlo goes back to the main street of Razil and notices a wandering Nay-Kobold. Talking to him, he learns that a kidnapping may have been taken place. Going back to the festival grounds, the player can swap party members, and because it's me, an opportunity to feed them Stat Stones.

After this will be a bit more training. Then, the party's first mission as graduated knights. Their mission? Guard duty. Maybe not the most illustrious job, but, somebody's gotta do it! However, the game gives the player an opportunity to set their party, equipment, and such. This also seems like a good opportunity for me to attempt an item hack that can work more often than once per game load.

This task took me a while. While the layout of the data was more or less what I expected to find, there were also things that I didn't expect. I also haven't quite sufficiently tested the codes. Either way, it's given me quite the headache. ;_;

AtiyaTheSeeker
Marrend: Congrats on completing Grandia 2. I had dabbled with that game before, and I'm glad you saw it through.

Final Fantasy Tactics
Last night, I pulled an all-nighter because I didn't realize I entered a point of no return. Considering the challenges I faced, I tried not to use Orlandeau too much... but I did use him in a couple of fights. My final party for the final battle was Ramza, Agrias, Orlandeau, Raziya (a Monk) and Jengo (a Knight). In the end, it was Ramza who scored the finishing blow on the final boss. In the end, we both wrote the ending to his tale together.

...it's been surreal. Like Dragon Quest 3, this was a game I've adored for years, but had yet to complete until this year. It was because I loved it so that I kept pushing myself to keep going. There's a sense of accomplishment but, like any long-awaited finale coming to a close, a sense of emptiness.

I had a dream when I passed out around 6 AM where the final fight was a lot more arbitrary, requiring me to jump through some weird hoops. Destroying floating shockwaves or something. I bring this up because I used to dream I was still in high school as an adult years ago, and also had to fulfill something bizarre to truly graduate. Y'know, considering I graduated in 2009. I feel like there's a sense of attachment that my subconscious can't quite let go of yet.

Regardless? With this and DQ3, those are two games I've played since my teen that I had never cleared till this year. There's probably an allegory to be made, and it's likely something like this. So long as one is passionate, no matter how long it takes, no matter how many times you put something down and return later? Someday, your passion for something will see its completion.

I certainly hope so.

Digimon World 3
Been playing this again! Unfortunately I left off on one of the most annoying parts of this game. There's no one, but two quests back-to-back that involve a boatload of backtracking across all you've discovered so far. Chasing a breadcrumb trail that you have to fulfill in sequence, even if it's not spelled out for you as clear as you'd like. Besides those points the game is (usually) more linear?

Having an emulator means I can fast-forward with an assigned key to speed up grinding, and save states are also helpful to boot. DW3 is a flawed game, but somehow one of few JRPGs I'd ever completed. I've yet to get into the original Digimon World, and DW2 was a rough introduction to Digi-RPGs. Of the PS1 era games in the series, DigiWorld 3 is still my favorite, flaws and all.

I feel an allegory can be drawn to my above statements about passion.

The Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion
I want to like this game. The world is so colorful all throughout, whether or not it feels like a generic European fantasy. The NPCs and quests are so unique. Unarmed builds are fun.

But what isn't fun is the sole reason that crushes the gameplay: the level scaling. The game punishes you for putting all the skills you want to use as Major Skills, which level you up for increasing them. The game punishes you for not min-maxing your arbitrary stats. And let's be real, light armor is useless for most of the game, and the spells suck. I have no idea how you can be a dedicated mage. Enemies easily dodge elemental projectiles, and healing spells hardly do jack if you're in a fight. Don't even get me started on illusions. You have to have alchemy to stand any chance because healing potions are expensive as hell, and guess what? Self-brewed potions that restore Health, Magicka and/or Stamina heal you over time, not instantly!

Given that I can no longer walk to a dungeon without wasting what few potions I have left to maybe survive a random bear or bandit in the woods? Yeah, level scaling has left a bad taste in my mouth. At least in Skyrim and Bethesda's Fallout games, you aren't ground under the game's heel by this system. Part of me is biased because I messed around with modding Raziya's appearance in Skyrim to be where I want it. Part of me is also biased because I really love the Fallout series.

But holy shit, I can see why Bethesda peddles Skyrim so goddamned much. It's not consumerism (maybe), but it's because it's their only Elder Scrolls game that actually works. Barring their online game perhaps, but I never stick with MMOs for long.

Fuck this shit I'm goin to Whiterun
author=Atiya
...it's been surreal. Like Dragon Quest 3, this was a game I've adored for years, but had yet to complete until this year. It was because I loved it so that I kept pushing myself to keep going. There's a sense of accomplishment but, like any long-awaited finale coming to a close, a sense of emptiness.

Wow yeah Dragon Quest 3 has been on my bucket list on something to complete one day . I think what makes a lot of games insurmountable to me is just when they boil down to a lot of town/dungeon/town/dungeon and it's hard for me to just sit down and enjoy that at times. But also it's goddamn Dragon Quest, the RPG that took over Japan. I've only really beaten 9 and 11 but it'd be nice to at least experience one of the actual classics. As a kid I would replay the beginning of the GBC version A LOT due to the personality quiz they give you at the start and the party organization.

I've actually beaten FFT awhile back and remember plowing through the last couple of fights and it being not as long as I thought it'd be. Though losing interest was a matter running into something like Wiegraf or any show stopper instead of not liking the game loop. Though I recall some fights that were said to be hard that I just decimated (probably because my entire party was just Monks what could double attack fists) so it's fun to hear what people went through with completely different party comps.
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
August

1. Heat Signature
Surprisingly, I spent a majority of weekend playing this and finished the game this morning. In many ways it takes fun parts of Gunpoint and puts them in a bigger, more procedural sandbox. It was fun coming up with new ways to finish missions and even making a ghost run (you can't be seen or hurt anyone). I had some incredibly violent characters too. In the end I managed to learn to use most gadgets and finish the last liberation without triggering any alarms. I also enjoyed the setting and the presentation of the game and using mouse to play a game again. I highly recommend it as a shining example of good scope and expert game design.

2. Cargo Commander
I returned to this game roughly after ten years. I remembered it fondly as a good example of reasonable scope with fairly nice graphics. The game welcomed me back with slightly clunky controls (jumping and shooting doesn't feel great), repetitive soundtrack and very dark low poly environments. It felt less tight and polished than I had remembered it. I abandoned it again after about an hour as I was sure that I wouldn't play long enough for me to reach a conclusion. Also, writing and "fuck you" button don't seem to be funny anymore.

Next on, I might try to get further in Prince of Persia or play some tactics games (I picked up XCOM 2 yesterday) or play Soma Union and other new rm games. I'm actually in mood for that, let's see if I have time too.
Breath of Fire 2

Alright so where I last left off was the frog palace area, I had no idea which story check I was in (hello darkness my old friend) but I vaguely remembered I was in a dungeon full of cockroaches. So I must have done the dungeon phase of the quest. After wandering around the confusing palace layout I finally found the trigger for a cutscene to continue the story (phew). There's a moment where the villain chases the princess around and you have to go down an elevator, I fight the boss and get the shit kicked out of me cause I guess he can just one shot Nina (and also I have no revives). Fair enough, I only lost a bit of money and can just retrace my steps and rematch the boss right? Wrong the elevator is not available because I used it before and I had to wander around aimlessly to find an alternate route, it's a really bad sign if the town navigation is harder than the dungeons. Probably took more time than reloading the save and sitting through the cutscenes again. That experience makes me kind of dread what's in store later on.

So finally the game loops back around to the very beginning of the story. The prisoner of the frog palace happens to be the thief that framed one of the party members (who was also framed?) and the story summarizes all that we've been through so far. Each boss being an NPC that transforms into a sailor moon villain of the week thing, and it's all connected shockingly!! There's even the grassman from the circus at the beginning becoming our next goal to meet so we can communicate with the forest to find something out about a certain evil. Though I get the feeling I'll have to go through more filler to see the next actual plot point take shape but you know how these things go. Speaking of which, I end up going inside of a whale which has a very distinct look. I know it well because I remember making an RM2K3 game long ago where you went inside someone's actual body like the Fantastic Voyage and needed a ripped chipset that fit the bill. I think BOF2 was the only SNES RPG that has anything like that, so props to them.

Though the actual dungeon layout leaves much to be desired, there's a lot of use out of Lin's (or Katt's) ability to whack stuff open and they mix it up by teleporting you to the end of the dungeon and having you climb back out, which is neat I guess, otherwise you just keep moving up through basic rooms and backtrack like once. But pretty lucky that Lin is one of my staple members. I'm not sure how I feel about the character ability system. There's little thinking behind it and at best it's a flavorful way to lock up parts of the world map or story progression. It's just annoying you have to swap in members you don't want to use battle-wise to progress through the story. After killing a ghost with sleep depravation I unclog the whale and get to ride it as a vehicle.

So far combat is kind of just have Nina do AOE and everyone else attack. The story has a few highlights but the overarching thing isn't really grabbing me. I'll probably continue just to see hopefully more interesting set pieces like the whale but the actual level design and gameplay I'm just putting up with.
Marrend
Final Fantasy 12

While the current story-beat would have the party move to Mount Bur-Omisace, I choose to participate in two more hunts before doing so.

The story-path has the party cross the Ozmone Plain into the Golmore Jungle, only to have the path forward blocked by a magical web/barrier. Fran opens the way to Eruyt Village to parley with the viera there to take it down. Fran is something of a social outcast here, so she stays behind, and has Vaan fetch Mjrn for her. Except Mjrn is not in the village anymore. Of course it wouldn't be that easy!

Given the clue that the viera give, Larsa reasons that she might have gone to the Henne Mines. There is a way there from Ozmone Plain, reachable only by chocobo. I briefly went back to Rabinastre to check the bounty board, in case there were randomly more hunts. There were none that I saw, but, I'm vaugely aware of a rather annoying one that occurs in Golmore Jungle from a viera in Eruyt Village. Maybe it's a hunt that's obtained through Clan Centurio, itself? Eh, I can check that later.

Sure enough, the party finds Mjrn deep in the Henne Mines. Yet, something is definetly off with her. A boss fight against a dragon later, Mjrn returns to her normal self, though, the party spots something of a spirit leaving her body before she does. The game teleports the party back to Eruyt Village to return their wayward sister. In return, they are given Lente's Tear, which will allow the party to treat the barriers within Golmore Jungle as if they were air. Before that, there's two hunts available; one posted on the common job board and one from Montblanc.

Another item of note is that the moogle merchant in the outskirts of Eruyt Village now sells Golden Amulets. This is an accessory that doubles the amount of License Points earned when defeating foes. I'm more than happy to have the party wear these. There's another accessory that doubles experience earned, which I forget the name of, to say nothing of Ribbons. Though, I'm pretty sure Ribbons are not sold anywhere only UGEd.

With Lente's Tear in hand, the party can go further into Golmore Jungle. They fight a boss in the process that I can only describe as an Earth Golem Dragon. Like, the ground, itself, animates into a dragon-like form, and attacks the party. After it's defeated, it goes back to being a decorative tile the hill it once was. Beyond that lies Paramina Rift. It is within these winery climbs that Mount Bur-Omisace lies.

So, a few things are learned when the party meets with the Grand Kiltias. Well, more like they learn it from Larsa's other guest, Al-Cid of Rozarria. The news he brings is most important, and that is the death of Emperor Granis of Archadia is dead. If he were still alive, then Ashe's ascension, and following bid for peace, may have been more successful. Alas, no such luck anymore, now that Vayne has taken the throne, and placed the blame of Granis' death on the Imperial Senate. One suspects Vanye murdered Granas himself, but, one also has no proof of this.

In any event, now that the plan of peace talks have pretty much been thrown out the window, a new plan needs to be hatched. The Grand Kiltias eventually suggests Lady Ashe find the Sword of Kings, a sword that is said to be able to cut nethicite. If such a thing still exists, it may be found in the Stillshrine of Miriam, south of the Paramina Rift. Larsa chooses to stay behind, taking some time to greive for his father's death. Though, he probably has his own suspicions about how that came about, centering on his brother Vayne.

Suikoden 4

There is a whole lot of open ocean on this game's world map, and the game has players control a boat to explore it. This is not to say that there were not open fields to putz around in with previous entries, but, the games also tended to direct players to where they can go with their geography features. Not so much in this game, where the only barriers are the islands (both large and small) players can find, or the barriers the game puts up with zero context as to why they are there. For example, if the player tries to go off the world map, or attempts to enter into a part of the map that is otherwise off-limits, the game "bounces" the ship, and has it veer of in some other direction before letting the player take control again.

To be fair, this "bounce" effect can occur when trying to sail into an island at an angle that the game cannot detect a landfall trigger, assuming the island can even be landed on. That context makes a little bit of sense. Not so much when one is in the open ocean with no land in sight!

If "bouncing" the ship when it tried to go where it wasn't supposed to was the worst offense exploration had, perhaps there might be more leniency towards it. However, the act of exploring the world map, and going through the motions that such involves, just feel tedious and s l o w. Even if there is a speed improvement later, the game loop of map exploration is still rather tedious. The high encounter rate was probably supposed to break up the tedium, but ends up becoming one of the symptoms of the problem.

At any rate, the guard duty Lazlo and crew is saddled with includes delivering a message to Middleport. That done, the party heads back to Razril, gets some R&R before taking up a job whose details are relayed in Middleport. However, the details kinda sound like pest control. Nothing this party of hardy sailors can't handle!

That done, and a reward granted, they sail back to Razril. There, Vice-Commander Katrina has a message from Commander Glen regarding the next mission. This mission is for Lazlo and Snowe alone, and is an escort mission. The client is a man named Ramada, and the destination, Iluya. That's quite a ways off, but, it seems an easy enough job.

Except when it isn't. While Ramada may have said his cargo was spices, Snowe did a bit of snooping, and found Rune Cannon shells instead. These shells were large enough that he figures one could even sink a galleon with those suckers. Back in Razril, a communique has Glen feeling a little uneasy. A ship with 6 masts on a possible intercept course with Snowe's convoy. It could be Brandeau, a somewhat infamous pirate in the region. What would a pirate like that be doing trying to intercept a cargo of mere spices? Glen's gut is telling him to prepare a fast ship, and set sail to the convoy.

Alas, it is as Glen fears. It's Brandeau, and his ship caught Snowe, and his ship, off guard. At least Snowe has the presence of mind to call out, and alert his men to the incoming attack. However, due to an injury to his arm, his mind cannot focus, and the enemy gets in another good blow to the ship before he can refocus to the battle. However, he's scared out of his mind, and orders a retreat, even if that would leave his escort into the hands of pirates. It's a little telling that, as the solider asks if they really should flee, and both the camera and the soldier are looking to Lazlo, and by proxy, the player, for what to do.

I usually choose to stand and fight. However, I'm curious enough to see what happens if I support Snowe's decision. Using saved states, and observing the immediate aftermath of this choice, I don't think it matters? Snowe will get to a rowboat and escape on his own regardless, while the player engages in a war battle. I can't say much about long-term consequences, but, I've numerous doubts that there are any. So, yeah, let's just go ahead and fight.

After the war-battle, the enemy's ship may be ablaze, but shows no signs of slowing down. While evading an oncoming ram may be possible, the ship still gets boarded by Brandeau himself, and one of his lakeys. A fight ensues, where Lazlo and the remaining crew come out on top. The guards move to apprehend the man, but he raises his arm, and a red glow expands from his hand, annihilating everyone on the ship except Lazlo and Brandeau. As a point of interest, there was some green shield surrounding Lazlo as Brandeau did his thing. There is no explanation given as to why, or how, this came about. As for Brandeau, and his effect, that was caused by a Rune, which will be discussed later.

Commander Glen spots Snowe on a rowboat. The player might note that he's using both arms to row said boat, while in the scene previous to this, he was complaining that his arm could not move. This certainly calls into question what, exactly, happend to his arm, and how moble it really was. Or, perhaps his arm being frozen was merely part of being fear-stricken in general? Hard to say. In any event, the Commander hears Snowe's report, and cannot believe his ears. What kind of captain abandons ship at the first sight of trouble? Also, what kind of captain abandons his ship, leaving his men to fend for themselves? He smacks Snowe across the jaw, and sends a prayer to the seas and skies, hoping that the situation isn't half as bad as Snowe says.

Back to Lazlo, he's still alive. Maybe a little winded, but mostly okay. Same with Brandeau. They engage in a duel, with Lalzlo coming out on top. Brandeau's not long for this world. Even if that was not the case, his soul is consumed by the Rune in his hand, just as everyone else who was on board. The Rune passes to Glen, and he falls unconscious.

With Ramada's ship fulfilling it's supposed duty, the ships from Razril head back home. However, things are going to get more very complicated very quickly.

I'm not sure how long it's been, but, the game gives a particular impression that Lazlo has been bringing Glen his meal for a while. Two, maybe three days? On this particular day, a fleet of ships approach Razril, and beseige it with Rune Cannons. Both Lazlo and Snowe set sail against the foe, and beat them back into a retreat. Snowe pursues them, alone, in an attempt to regain his lost honor. Seeing only one ship in pursuit, the enemy turns to reengage with Snowe. Trying to prevent a bad situation from going worse, Lazlo sails to reinforce Snowe. This move makes the enemy think twice, and leave, this time without any further pursuit from either Lazlo or Snowe.

The meeting with Commander Glen is short, but to the point. Glen throws another punch at Snowe, reprimanding him for trying to go at it alone. Now, Snowe isn't exactly happy to be reprimanded again, and for Lazlo to be heralded as the hero. This envy building up within Snowe will rear it's ugly head, be sure of that.

AtiyaTheSeeker
Fallout
Had restarted the original game, this time using a Fallout Fixt mod. This is not only a defintive fan bugfix, but also reintegrates cut content and adds some quality-of-life fun.

I started Dana back up with Energy Weapons, Sneak and Speech tagged. I was pleasantly surprised to find I started with a laser pistol, which is normally obsolete by the time most players could find one. It's more powerful than the 10mm pistol you start with, but it takes a while to find more small energy cells for it. In other words it's a limited early damage boost, and I don't think the vanilla FO1 gave you a laser for tagging E-Weapons.

Right now I am at Junktown, about to settle the score between Killain and Gizmo. This time, I want to see if there's any reason to side with Gizmo other than being a bad guy. After that, I'm going to see if I can exterminate the Khans, and proceed onward to find the water chip at The Hub.

Digimon World 3
Sadly, I am not quite done with obnoxiously retreading where I've been. There was a slight story-based diversion back in Asuka City. Then I had to march all the way back to South Sector. Now I need to look up a guide, because I don't recall where to find an NPC to get access to Submarimon and thusly go to West Sector. Ughhhhh.

At the least, my team of Kotemon-Renamon-Kumamon is doing well. Kotemon usually hits the hardest (though Kuma is a good contender as fist weapons seriously boost its damage), Kumamon is my tankiest digi, and Renamon is an agile mage. I do wonder where Asuka City's heavy armory opens up, which grants access to powerful two-handed weapons at the cost of being pricey the earliest it's open.

Soul Calibur 6
Fired this back up, and played some casual matches. Still not great at the game, but am having fun.

Rogue Empire
This fun little roguelike from Itchio and Steam has been interesting to mess with. I've gotten farther in the premade scenario with Egross, a human warrior, than I ever had. Unfortunately the gameplay is getting boring, especially as this scenario is only a twenty-floor-deep dungeon. I did find a mithril morning star early on that's carried me, and had a few near-death situations. I'd learned a lot playing my last character in this game, a vinscian (catfolk) hunter, and it's probably helped me survive to the 12th floor of the dungeon as Egross.

Much as I have a love-hate relationship with roguelikes, I actually feel like I'm gitting gud at this one. Awesome. :3
Vaccaria
You'd think MZ would use a dictionary for switches/variables by now?
Been a long time since I've posted here. Might as well add to something.

I've already beaten some games like Senran Kagura Burst Re:Newal and Seen. I've been on a slow binge lately, as I'm taking my time to acclimate myself to a new environment. Of course, I'm starting a new game, one that I haven't finished years before.

This time, I'm taking it with a challenge.

Beat the absolute crap out of the gods in this DS game (Izuna: The Legend of hte Unemployed Ninja) without any weapons (and possibly items).

And of course, it starts with this image xd.
Breath of Fire 2

Hoo boy, I'm at my limit with this part. So eventually I get Spar (or Aspara) and looked up a guide on fusions because fuck the fuse system and its trial and error. Not like there's much of a choice anyway but I like the idea of digi-volving the characters, I hate having to go back and refuse if the character dies, the time saved with the buff benefits is likely not worth it. So after talking to the tree I go on a little goose chase to get a flute from Sten's kingdom. Basically you need Sten to cross the area to get to his castle, there's also a save point at this castle. Now Sten is underleveled because I didn't care to use him that much. Problem is the story will eventually lock Sten in a solo fight. It's basically the Wiegraf fight all over again, just without the OP yell command to bail you out. You can get Sten to level up in the basement which yields like 100 exp per fight, but had I not saved I would have been able to get 2000-3000 exp with the other party members. The fight Sten gets into he will get 2 shotted maybe even 1 shotted with the bs enraged combo attack, and of course the boss attacks first, they always attack first. It'll take me 13-15 fights to get to level 17 which might not be enough and I'll have to level more. Mind you this is with the rebalance patch, so this game still manages to be pretty bad regardless. I could just put on a podcast and just go at it, but just gonna shelf this game for now.

Final Fantasy XV

After acquiring the entire physical mainline Final Fantasy collection (aside from the direct sequels) I have the urge to just play through and beat the entire series, maybe even 100% since the Pixel Remasters 1-6 have a recordable way of doing that. I actually haven't beaten a single FF game except 8 and 1. I played and restarted many FF games and know the first halfs pretty well, just a combination of not preserving the rom save files or switching consoles, and in general losing interest in a lot of the filler. I 100%'d FF1's remaster really quickly and got half way through 2 and decided that well... maybe I should go through the series backwards. Because I actually haven't played any of the later games past X at all (besides 14). Sure there's XIII to worry about, but at least I'll actually have a direct opinion on the game. The MMOs are also a weird exception (Though I'm halfway through Stormblood and have every job to at least level 50 so that's a start) I guess I'd consider those complete if I just play through the latest story content.

So XV then, I decided to go into it without any preconceptions other than it's an open world game. The way the game opens though... is really weird. So it gives you a tutorial on the game's combat with no story or anything, you're just in an empty room learning the basics. This is extremely strange as far as modern games though because usually I expect the story to be doled out as your learning the game mechanics. Not to just ease you in but also so you're not bored. The tutorial got pretty boring pretty fast, I skipped like half of it and... the game gives you tutorial hints all throughout the actual gameplay anyway.

The game's intro also has a very cold open. I've heard about needing to watch a fucking movie to get the backstory of this game but I'm actually fine that the game doesn't bother with too much front loaded exposition at the beginning (my ADHD wouldnt be able to handle another cinematic about a kingdoms history or some shit). There's a part with future Noctis doing stuff for like a minute and then it goes back to the present... no idea what the point of that scene was, it could have been cut and the story would have been the same. It is jarring though that it just STARTS after that, like it feels like something is incredibly missing even if it were an intentional in media res. Later on the story truly begins but the scene depicting the invasion of the kingdom feels like the trailer for the movie. It's one of the most bewildering starts to a modern game I've played lol... I'm actually fine with it, but also confused.

As for the game itself the combat is fine. It has the problem with every other ARPG: if you level up or do sidequests at all you'll be outpacing the critical content easily but also the mere act of having potions to restore your health means you can make as many mistakes as you want unless you get one-shot. I'm kind of leaning towards critical pathing the game and then 100%ing it afterwards because I'd rather have the game beaten sooner than later in case I drop off. So idk maybe the combat will pick up at some point? Going into the open world / camping stuff, the game seems very relaxing. The whole travel around with 3 dudes in a car wasn't really appealing to me but the game does sort of win you over with actually showing what the party members are doing when you sleep at an inn RPG style. It's very much in the trend of "elaborating the simulation" of what it would like to go on adventure without going full on RDR2 with it.

However, there is one thing that bothers me... there's something weird about the world. The NPCs sort of remind me of the humans in Sonic games where they have less modeling detail and have really stark D-List voice acting. Also the fact that the main characters often sound like they're talking AT each other outside and during cutscenes. It feels like a modern Shenmue or something. It could be the localization and the general VA direction, but idk I think part of it might be the direction in general. It's also the fact that the game's setting feels modern but is contrasted by the fantasy elements, FF8 executed this way better and I don't know why. Maybe XV has an uncanny valley effect going with the increased fidelity of the locales but you're still playing as a tokyo goth fashion hipster who also happens to be royalty. Squall also might look out of place but at least the world around him was fantastical occasionally. Idk it's weird, this game is weird, but I'm not repulsed. I'm enjoying myself.

Marrend
Final Fantasy 12

The Stillshrine of Miriam has it's fair share of tricks up it's sleeves. Such as needing the Dawn Shard equipped in various places to open up more of the dungeon. The fake save crystal that's a monster in disguise before becoming a regular save crystal is kinda interesting as well. Save crystals so far have either been colored gold (these are the Gate Crystals used as the fast-travel system) or blue. This crystal was green, so there is that visual hint that something different could happen here, even if the player won't know what until an interaction is made.

Still, even with it's tricks, not to mention a boss fight or two (one of which is an Esper), the Sword of Kings is nevertheless claimed. Vaan suggests using it on the Dawn Shard to test out if it can really cut nethicite, and Baltheir backs him up on this. Ashe goes through most of the motions, but misses on purpose. There's a bit more to this, but, suffice to say, she's convinced herself of the Sword's quality without needing to resort to such a demonstration.

As the party leaves the Stillshrine, they observe an Archadian fleet move over them. The good news is that they aren't stopping to capture them. The bad news is that there's smoke coming from the general direction of Mount Bur-Omisace. Which gives one the particular impression that the fleet wasn't there just to pick up the ever-wandering Larsa, and maybe actually put him under proper house arrest this time. Either way, the game does not require the party to go directly to Mount Bur-Omisace. Gate Crystals seem to be functioning normally, and it's been a while since I've bothered with hunts.

Now, to be fair, the main reason I haven't bothered with hunts in a while, and will probably continue to do so, is because the party's clan ranking is "Riskbreaker". There may be ranks higher than that within Clan Centurio, but, c'mon. If Vagrant Story taught me anything, it's that you don't mess with a Riskbreaker!

The party has come too late. The Grand Kiltias lies dead before the blade of Judge Bergan. He turns his attention to the party as they enter, and attacks in kind. He's infused with manufactured nethicite, which makes him stronger, but not strong enough against the party's pelting of Gil Toss. After he falls, Al-Cid makes his last appearance (that I can remember), trying to convince Ashe to go back to Rozzaria with him. Ashe refuses, stating that her path lies in finding the Dusk Shard, and to cut it with the Sword of Kings. Baltheir thinks the Stone lies in the Draklor Laboratories in Archadies. Not exactly friendly territory, by any means. Indeed, getting there air, or sea is a no-go, as the military forces are more focused in these areas. This, of course, means going afoot, and is a much longer trek than the aforementioned options.

The Gate Crystal network the party has unlocked so far can get them as far as Rabinastre. From there, they head northeast, into Nalbina, then cross the Mosphoran Highwaste and the Salikawood.

Suikoden 4

A day, maybe two, after the pirate attack, Lazlo finds himself, once again, bringing Commander Glen's meal upstairs. Katrina is relaying a report concerning the pirates, and it's pretty clear to Glen that somebody is specifically provoking the Knights of Razril. To what end, who knows, but, the evidence is there.

While it sounds like there might be some more peace and quiet, a surprise attack by another group of pirates assaults the town. Katrina is shocked, as there were no indications of pirate movements in the reports she just relayed to the commander. The network of nasel birds, which the Knights use to communicate between ships, has been compromised, and would go a long way in why there was such a large information gap in the communications.

As a point of reference, Katrina had briefly mentioned the nasel brids in the company of Ramada. The probability that he's connected to these attacks is certainly in question, even if it's never directly spoken. Either way, Lazlo and his troupe (in my case, Tal and Palua) and Katrina go out to defend the town in a sequence of regular fights against pirates, rather than engage in yet another war-battle. Which is probably a good thing, because the commander has gotten it into his head to use the Rune he obtained from Brandeu to deal significant damage to the enemy fleet. Who knows what would have happened to any allies ships that would be out there?

What ships survive the attack turn around in a panic, and there is no pursuit force to stop them this time. Everyone on land could see the attack, and just wondering what the hell it was. Katrina reminds the soldiers that the commander gave strict orders no to enter the Hall of Knights, and that their current priority is to assist the injured. I'll note that the game will not progress unless Lazlo goes against that order, and enters the Hall.

Lazlo climbs the tower in the Hall, to find commander Glen on the roof, with Snowe not too far behind. This is a mistake for Lazlo, because Glen is not long for this world, his soul consumed by the Rune, which then passes to Lazlo. Snowe is there to see of of this, and goes to the commander in distress before the Rune does it's thing. Alas, it is too late to do anything. When guards arrive, Snowe is scared out of his wits. Now, to be fair, Commander Glen's body had just disintegrated in front of him. He places the blame of his death on Lazlo because... I'm not 100% sure. Granted, Lazlo was the only other person there, but, he was nowhere near Glen, and there's certainly more going on that what Snowe can see with his eyes.

This case of the commander's death effectively boils down to Snowe's word against Lazlo's. Snowe, being the natural-born son of the Lord Mayor, has a heavier weight than Lazlo. Lazlo may have been brought up as something of a brother to Snow, but, his origins are unknown. He was found as a child, abandoned on the open ocean. The popular opinion has changed from him being a hero to an ambitious person who wasn't satisfied with their lot in life, and sought out to avenge a man that refused to give him a good opportunity to advance. It is with a sense of irony that such a description would apply to Snowe more than Lazlo, but, what can ya do?

Lazlo is found guilty of treason. His punishment is to be exiled from Razril. To go out into the sea from whence he came, and never set foot on Razril soil ever again. Katrina mentions he should be grateful that he is not to be executed. That, for what it's worth, he is allowed a degree of freedom, and may yet make his mark on this world. If he's lucky, that is.

The next day, he is given an escort, and a small boat. Then, he's let go. Apparently, the cross-talk among the guards on Katrina's ship is that Snowe had been appointed as the new commander of the Knights. My guess is that his father had some say in that, and pulled a few strings. How well that goes for them is not a concern for Lazlo. His immediate concern is survival. Thankfully, he's not alone. Paula and Tal decided to stick with him, and they find Chiepoo, the Ney-Kobold Lazlo spoke to on the night of the graduation ceremony, sleeping within some covers on the ship.

After about two fights, a ship is spotted in the distance. It's not particularly hostile, and even brings the party aboard. However, this ship ultimately belongs to an enemy of Razril. Not that the party are particularly friends of Razril either, but, it doesn't matter to these guys. The fight against Troy and Colton is pretty much impossible. It has to be, because even Lazlo, whose been given 50 doses of each type of drive, as opposed to the usual 20, is downed in one blow. The party manages to escape, if only because Troy doesn't care to pursue them. It's not like they can return to Razril, and who knows where land might be, as nobody had thought to bring a map.

Thus, the party drifts for one fight before a boss fight against a Water Dragon is engaged. The party wins, but a tidal wave that comes outta nowhere hits them. When they come to, they are at least on land, but, certainly no place any of them recognize. Their boat is in shambles, too, so, even if they did want to leave, repairs might take some time. Of course, the more immediate concern the party has is the basic necessities of food, water, and shelter.

The game eventually prompts the player if they wish to escape this deserted island. Now, I've never chosen to stay, and I'm kinda curious about what happens. So, this time, I did. I think I was expecting a bit more, but, the character portraits turning black-and-white, and more cartoony, was a somewhat novel experience for a brief time.

Back to the game, proper, the party spends about three in-game days on the island collecting coconuts, rope, and wood while Chiepoo collects food. On the fourth day, Chiepoo gets it in his head to go after some of the crabs on the island, only to be caught by a giant crab, which serves as the next boss fight. It hides inside it's shell, which prevents the party from doing any significant damage to it. On the flip side, it's not doing anything to harm the party either, but, a quicker fight is certainly more desirable. Lazlo gets it in his head to use the Rune to have the giant crab take a more offensive stance. I'm actually surprised the crab wasn't erased from existence, given what we've seen of this Rune so far. How does Lazlo have such control over it when he's barely used it?

Either way, the party comes out on top of this fight, with Lazlo falling unconscious shortly after. A small price to pay, even if a mere fraction of that Rune's power was used, I guess. When Lazlo comes to, the party ditches that island. Again, two fights on the open ocean before a boss fight. No tidal wave this time, but, the oars broke, or were otherwise rendered unusable by the attack. With no method to steer, or move the boat, it seems our party is stranded in the open ocean with no land in sight, and who knows how many provisions they brought with them? Things haven't exactly been looking up for these four, have they?

Through the fog, Lazlo spots a ship in the distance approaching them. They are taken aboard, and given a meal. Once the crew has us introduce ourselves, Lazlo can't help but to try and cover up his left hand. The man they are talking to notices this, and notices that there is a Rune attached there, and asks to see it. Gasping, he runs off, coming back with Princess Flare of Obel to help identify it. While Flare orders that the party is to be treated with respect, they are still coming with them to her kingdom. Probably as some kind of prisoners. Though, from the sound of things, I've doubts Obel and Razril have any kind of relations to each other. If nothing else, Chiepoo has apparently never heard of Obel before, and he claims himself as something of a wandering merchant.

Upon reaching Obel, the party is to report to the Royal Palace. There's a bit of shopping to do, but, there isn't a heck of a lot to actually do, since plot lockdown is still very much in effect.

Either way, the audience with the king, Lino En Kuldes, provides the party with a way forward, plot-wise, and some lodgings. Sounds like they'll be working for Lino...

<
Desmond: Oh, yes, I have a message for you from the king. He wishes you to assemble a group of people with various skills.
>

...for a while too. I mean, the game is basically telling me that recruiting is now possible. There was another message telling the party that a ship in the harbor can be used to search for recruits outside of Obel. Which is good, because there's only one recruit in Obel at this time. Which means more exploration at sea to find Nay and Na-Nal.

These two islands are pretty far north of Obel, with Illuya a bit further north, if the game allowed players to go that far. Which it doesn't, but, I've certainly spoken enough on this point.

Final Fantasy XV

So the main goal is to repair the king's ship but of course the story keeps getting sidetracked and I basically got Titan and Ramuh and a few more of the king weapons that I never use because fuck the HP tradeoff. I also decided to watch Kingsglaive in the background while I worked and uh, there was like 2-3 important bits that helped with the story background but otherwise it's still a baffling way everything was handled on that front.

Generally I feel the combat is kind of like, not fun to play if you take it seriously. Half the time I can't see anything because there's always bushes /treein the way, I'm never really sure what does the most optimal damage since there are so many layered mechanics like magic, link strikes, the party member special moves, etc. Everything is also very inconsistent, if you L1 and tell a party member to hit something, they might be out of position and swing at nothing even though they're programmed to get in position. Sometimes your parries won't always hit, sometimes you'll get a block prompt for an attack that doesnt hit because you already moved out of the way, it's all very awkward. It's fine if you just want to mash through while spamming potions and use the safest options to just get through the story, but I don't know if sidequests making the game easier is even a big deal, you might as well faceroll through the combat. I could go into more but that's how I sum up the combat, just whatever. I don't know why people make a big deal about abandoning turn based combat when it ends up with stuff like this: a half baked platinum action game.

Then there's the open world navigation. I swear to god, there's something about the mid 2010s when open world games just seemed to miss the point of open world games. Nintendo sorta acted like they invented the genre when they unveiled BOTW, but they kind of deserve credit. Because in this game you'll head towards a quest marker and bump into a fence or a wall or a rail you CANNOT jump over, yes Noctis can dimenssionally warp through space and time and in the air but only when there's a guard tower around or some bird monster needs to be taken out. It's baffling that there's a warp mechanic not being utilized by the open world at all. I had an instance where I walked around a dungeony type place that I've been to before, found the backdoor and realize I could not jump high enough to fully backtrack, then circled around the ENTIRE dungeon back to the entrance just to get a tiny side quest. Chocobos help with this but really the game does not give a fuck about your time and you'll likely stick to the main roads as much as you can even though sometimes they can screw you over. Want to go to a hotspot down this little valley? Too fucking bad, you're going to drive allllll way around because it's 2016 and only Nintendo invented gliders and wingsuits apparently.

The strength of the open world structure is that it does feel like an adventure. The world and setting is laid out like a real countryside (as realsy it can get). A lot of the placement isn't entirely there for gameplay reasons it feels like. It means there's a lot of noise and a whole lot of nothing but while merely following the main story I started to really settle in and enjoy the scenery. It's around the time where the gang starts road tripping with Iris that the game really starts to grow on me. "Grow on me" is probably a really common phrase by anyone who likes this game. Most RPGs have the problem of the story being bad because the characters are underdeveloped, maybe the plot is mildly enjoyable but characters are often not fleshed out. XV on the other hand literally has nothing but character moments during the travel that you do for most of the game.

Mind you, characters talking while you do stuff has been done before. Nier has done it and to an extent I imagine Naughty Dog has perfected it for their needs (though I recall a lot of forced slow walking segments). But the way XV executes it... is super incremental and also not merely supplemental. Throughout the game Prompto will take random snapshots of key moments sometimes, battles, wandering, or key story momeents. You never see him do it though, which is why I was surprised when Iris asked him how the hell does he find time during combat to snap a photo, she asks this DURING COMBAT, because I'm guessing she saw him do it. There was also a moment where Iris asked about Chocobos and sure enough if you call a Chocobo on your own free volition, Iris will react to riding on the chocobo for the first time. This even culiminates more and more into a real road trip that is barely revealed in any of the cutscenes. The dialogue isn't amazing and the characters barely have any established backstories, but the general vibe and execution comes together somehow. In a scripted sequence Iris remarks on the trip and is sad that it'll be over. It's such a bizzare imbalanced ratio where I give no fucks about the story but all the fucks about the characters at this point. The characters are the most straight laced arechetypes, yet I know Gladiolus' favourite food (because the cooking menu tells me), I know that Prompto fancies Cindy because he talks about her after every sidequest I do for her. I know Ignes has glasses yet has pretty decent eyesight, but since he's obessed with clarity and perfection (he's the one who cooks the meals at camp) he gets glasses anyway. These are details that stick with me somehow. Partying up with Aranea the dragoon lady was also unexpected and her personality was also unexpected and how she interacted with the crew. All of this just gradually builds in my mind.

All of this coupled with the fact that I was playing Blue Fields from FF8 with the ingame mp3 player the entire time exploring is giving me a really good impression of the game 14 hours in so far. Didn't think I'd be saying this but I'm basically hooked on this game and its characters. I'm basically about to embark on the ship. We'll see how it goes.
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
September

1. Stellaris
Surprisingly I finally got into this and I've been enjoying building my space colonial empire so far. They,ve added a lot of content since I played it few years ago and the game is better for it. You're constantly presented with new stuff to do and personal goals and worldbuilding is way deeper too. That one's important because it makes me care about my fake realm.
Marrend
Not a heck of a lot of game-playing this week. Quite a bit of game-making, though, so it all balances out!

Final Fantasy 12

While the game only mentions crossing through Nalbina and the Salikawood, these are merely the first two areas to cross before getting to Archadies. The trek also includes Phon Coast, Tchita Uplands, and Sochen Cave.

Two items of note here. One is Phon Coast, and the hunter's camp there. The Gate Crystal there, as well as it's nature as a hunter's camp, incentivizes players to take a break from the story-line, and go on hunts. The other item is Sochen Cave. The entrance is locked, but, a kid hands a key over if the party accepts his unofficial hunt. The game even warns players that the quest will not be tracked with the Clan Primer. However, since the game cannot progress unless this hunt is dealt with, well...

Reporting back seems entirely optional. The backtracking isn't so bad, but, remember that this is a kid. Don't expect too much pay from him. Then again, I feel like hunts are more about the License Point award that they grant more than the incidental items and/or gold you could get from them.

One more boss fight, and then the party can access an old lift up that leads to what amounts to the slums of Archadies. There's a number of errands to run in the next play session, or two, that I'm not exactly looking forward to. Though, theoretically speaking, I can use the loot hack I found on an earlier play to hack Sandlewood Chops directly into my inventory, rather than go through the rigamarole to get one via regular gameplay. Might be an interesting experiment to see how that goes down.

Suikoden 4

The Obel Ruins can be a little confusing to navigate, with rooms that look suspiciously like rooms one has seen before. However, the party finds their way, and fight a guardian before getting a blat concerning the past of the Rune of Punishment.

The Rune was said to be resting on Obel, but, that's clearly no longer the case. It seems like the husband of Rikie obtained it somehow (pardon my faulty memory) before it passed to the Queen of Obel. I'm not sure how long she had it, but, if one is to believe the on-boot-FMV, she used it during a pirate raid, and it was in that raid that Brandeau obtained it. How long he had it before Lazlo's encounter with him is unknown.

Either way, Lazlo is stuck with the thing for a little while longer. The story-line will not progress until the party goes out to sea, and encounters a merchant pirate ship. Two back-to-back fights later, with a cut-scene that sees Lilan joining the motley crew. I don't know if the next plot trigger can be on any going to port, or just Obel's. Though, Obel's certainly was the closest. An old face that the party has encountered at least twice now, Dario, accuses the party of mermaid theft, and a war-battle starts.

After the war-battle resolves, Dario intends to retreat to report the party to a certain Lady Kika. However, she's already on the scene, with some of her crew telling Dario he's got the wrong people. Kika apologizes for her subordinate's wrongdoing, and the ships sail off. Lazlo will be meeting them again, no doubt.

As for what's next, Desmond has a message from Lino that suggests Lazlo find an inventor called Oleg on Nay. Good think I explored those seas earlier, eh? I'm certainly noticing an increase of speed on land after recruiting Cedric, but, I can't 100% tell if sailing is faster as well.

Final Fantasy XV

So I beat the game since my last post. I think ultimately I was let down once the game rail roads you to a pretty lack luster cap off to the story. I was aware that the game feels like 2 games, where one is an open ended road trip and another is just Zegnautus Keep a giant hallway of monsters to fight. I didn't expect probably the worst experience I've had in a game in a long while. It's so jarring to go from the light hearted road adventure to this copy pasted nightmare.

Spoilers I guess.
I also hated the villain who had more to him than I thought but like I didn't care about anything at this point.
The last highlight was when Ignes was blind/injured and couldn't cook for awhile so all you had beans to eat at the camp section. That was about it, the argument between Noctis and Gladio felt forced and anything outside of the character talking moments fell really flat. It was also weird that the Luna lady just fucking dies after being built up so goddamn much in the marketing + the entire first half of the game. Like I guess it's tragic that Noctis never gets to meet her but I have no actual idea what their relationship was like. Would have been nice to have her as a guest character. I was kind of over with the game as a whole at this point and just wanted to move on to the previous non-mmo game in the series: XIII.

Final Fantasy XIII

I'm gonna TRY and go in with an open mind, but again I've been tainted with a lot of the osmosis that was the 2010 hubub around this game back in the day without actually having played it. I know about the hallway syndrome, the obnoxious characters, weird terms (still don't know what Pulse l'cie as opposed to regular l'cie or if that's even important) and the general lack of feeling like a well rounded RPG and "Oh it gets good 30 hours in".

Not gonna lie I think my take is gonna be the same with everyone elses generally speaking. I'm about 15 hours in a bit after Snow rejoins with Lightning and Hope sorta, and I don't mind the CONCEPT of the hallways so far (technically there is like, a tiny optional treasure path here and there). It's not really the hallways that are the problem but the lack of anything to do besides fight battles is the problem. Theres a small puzzle section involving the weather and some weird platforms but nothing that feels like a fleshed out dungeon or whatever. The hallways are also so long with nothing to break it up except that one Hope mech minigame that didn't have much to it.

If the battles were amazing, then I'd probably be okay with the hallway with gauntlet fights. But the battles only really become interesting when they introduce a new mechanic or the occasional boss fight. Though maybe this is also the case of having a 20-30 hour tutorial being not a good idea. The battles are actually sort of neat, not amazing, people say it's very different from FF12 but it's actually feels like a response to it than anything. The gambit system is merely replaced with the characters being able to switch classes/jobs mid-fight. If all a character can do is just heal as a medic then their AI is affectively changed. I think they wanted the advantages of the gambit system but toned down so you're not spending all days in menus practically doing if statements for your party members. The paradigm shift is actually quite fun and I auto battle'd most of the time mainly focusing on the role aspects.

I can see what they're doing with the stagger system. Basically any classic RPG fight just boils down to do as much damage as possible without dying. In bottle neck boss fights you're seeing how much damage "you can get away with". The same way you'd grind battles on the world map without using potions and exploiting the Inn, RPGs can have a risk/reward flavor to them in a weird survival-lite kind of way. FF13 tries to address that by rewarding you for going all in, but also adding another layer to it: Commandos can basically preserve momentum by keeping the stagger meter steady, but you don't want to go double ravager all the time. So I kind of got into this rhythm of Commando/Ravager at first, Commando/Medic if someone's low, then go Double Ravager once the stagger meter is up and the boss isn't laying the smackdown. It also rewards you for getting the battles over with as fast as possible, since HP doesn't carry over between battles you are even more conditioned to see "what you can get away with." It's really trying to cut down on the previous FF games did which was constantly selecting the same actions you're probably gonna do every time, and even having libra automatically make the auto battle target weaknesses. I get it.

Of course, once I've cracked the code, the game becomes routine at this point. I suspect there's more to it later on, but the first 2 hours had me spamming auto-battle without the paradigm system, the concepts don't really get introduced fast enough to make me look forward to what's around the corner. They do switch around between pairs of characters but they all behave very similarly as they unlock more classes.

The pacing problem poisons every part of this game, like the characters not even knowing what their goals are and going off of random hunches and shit which I suspect isn't going to be tied up well. It's not a great story direction when 2 characters just decide to run into a forest because they don't know what to even do and this is EARLY on in the story. Why should I care about anything at this point? Ok they'll turn into zombies if they don't do the thing they're not told. If they do it anyway they turn into crystal. Mysterious, but nothing to latch onto. There's a weird flashback thing they do where you see what every character was doing in the days leading up to the start of the game, which reveals information bit by bit. But it's so sloppily put together in such a long overarching game that it feels like absolute mush. It'd be a neat story device to plant more intrigue or answer questions but some of it isn't very interesting information and serves to make the characters worse. Nothing feels tight or concise in regards to the execution of all this. It reminds me of XV's storytelling in that nothing brought up feels relevant and I'm still trying to parse what certain terms mean and what relevance they have.

I'll see if the game turns AMAZING after the 200th hour mark or whatever.
Fflo
Be careful ! I'm French
Gonna add a new game in the diary. Well, I own that one since a while, but I've just returned to it.

Miitopia (3DS, don't own a Switch):
Almost a year. Didn't play it since almost a year.
Too lazy to create a new game, I keep going with my current save.

All my allies come from Yu-Gi-Oh! From the first ones to the new ones I created after the main game.

This is my team of 6:
* Myself, a Rogue. Rogues in Miitopia are super quick but a little weak when it's about strength.
* Seto Kaiba (first series, Duel Monsters) as a Warrior.
* Leo (third series, 5D's) as a Tank, just arrived. Tanks always act last but their ATK and DEF are huge!
* Caswell Francis (fourth series, Zexal) as a questionable Flower. Flowers are like Clerics but their strength is slightly higher.
* Yuto (fifth series, Arc-V) as a Vampire. The goth boy's class is weak at the first levels, but its high HP make him progress in the tierlist.
* Blue Angel aka Aoi Zaizen (sixth series, VRAINS) as an Idol. Some sort of Bard in RP. Interesting defensive potential.

Kaiba-kun and Aoi-chan are always angry!

The post-game is a little boring: accept quests from random adventurers to random places where you fight a random boss. Random.