2021 GAMING DIARY

Vaccaria
You'd think MZ would use a dictionary for switches/variables by now?
author=Marrend
I'm not sure if I like this format anymore. While technically more accurate to what I actually do, I feel it hampers my interest in playing. Though, this insistence that I transcribe certain scenes in Grandia 2 is probably not helping the matter either.

You can try like a more story-like format (based on a study that making some topics into a story gives you more retention than the memory palace).
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
May/June

1. Age of Wonders
This is a fun time waster. It's definitely clunkier than Heroes of Might and Magic, but it also feels faster and I enjoyed my few hours with it. I might return to it later and try to finish the campaign.
AtiyaTheSeeker
In all fairness, bird shrapnel isn't as deadly as wood shrapnel
Cancelled Games
It's that time again. For the same reasons as last time, and thanks to my fail reel video, La-Mulana 2 is off the bucket list for 2021. The upcoming DLC for the Tower of Oannes won't save the fact that I suck balls at this game. Dark Cloud is fun but the grind is not; I may resurrect thing but for now, nahhh.

Now, why have I not added Wasteland 3 and Digimon World 3 to this list? Because I want to find time for both. Right now though, my main concern is with Final Fantasy Tactics. Which leads me to my new section...

Casual Games
These are games that I can't see myself beating, or where clearing the game isn't an obligation. Stuff like Soul Calibur 6 due to its ranked and casual matches. Stuff like The Elder Scrolls 4: Oblivion because it has countless things to do, and the main fun isn't its main story. Stuff like Final Fantasy 14: A Realm Reborn because it's a freakin' MMORPG (which I did buy the full version of recently!).

I'll use this section in my entries to detail anything that happens in these games as they do. Right now though, nothing too special or of note.

Final Fantasy Tactics
Orbonne Monastery's battles are a bitch. The dragoons on the first battle are roughhh, but I did get a cool thing to happen during the fight, as shown in this clip from a Wednesday Twitch stream. Finally unlocked Dancer for Nazreen, but not much else to remark on for now. Will provide party's current stats later!

Escape The Haunted Forest!
A charming little VX Ace game made by Dreamfall887 on RM Web, it was a lot of fun to play! It's all one map, but the mapping looks nice. The final boss is quite a challenge, reminding me of something out of Dragon Quest 3 and its bosses. Heart-warming little adventure that took maybe a half-hour or so to play at most. Check it out here!

Door of Shadows
I really like the design choices that Antilurker77 put into this game. No, it's not just the anthropomorphic animals. Healing crystals act like bonfires from Dark Souls to revive on-screen enemies you've conquered or fled from. Characters can learn spells through completing sidequests to earn SP but even so, characters' stats affect who should get what spells. AL77 is well-aware of the JRPG tropes used for his game but revels in playing around with them. The battles are well-designed; easy at first but where the challenge ramps up later on. The use of TP and later MP is well-thought-out. Rations and other goodies are powerful restoratives for use outside of battle.

I swear, if I didn't know any better, Antilurker took a few ideas from my subconscious for my own game ideas. Maybe we're just cut from the same cloth. All I know is that I've streamed his lengthy and fun demo twice, and the game should be checked out if you're up to it. I'd recently cleared some old magical ruins with gnolls running rampant within, and am now at a windy crag region.

Going Forward...?
Some new games I have in mind for the future include the following. Battle For Esturia, which I've downloaded but never played yet off Steam; Caves of Qud, which I'd like to git gud at but never got far in; Fallout, which I've yet to finish but I adore greatly across all the games, but especially this first entry of the series.

When I clear Final Fantasy Tactics, or maybe during it, I want to finally make my tough decision and clear Wasteland 3. As I did with the Gippers vs the Machine Commune, I intend to go with a middle-ground option and explain why finishing this game has been such a moral dilemma for me. Besides, its new DLC adventure "Battle For Steeltown" is now available, but I'd have to do a new game or a NG+ to really enjoy it, I feel.
Marrend
Guardian of the Description Thread
Suikoden 2

I thought being chased out of Radat was a sign I basically couldn't recruit this chapter until after Luca Blight dies. I was wrong. I'll have to get Simone and Lebrante later. The others (Lorelai, Mondo, Sasuke, Badeux, Feather, Ayda, Sigfried, Gordon, and Tomo) didn't seem to be too much trouble.

I'm over the 20 hour mark, and therefore would be unable to get the last Clive event without hacking the game-clock. This was expected, but, it would be interesting to know what my game-time would be when I can access that event.

As for Luca, ePSXe is crashing during the fight with him. Like, I can get as far as Viktor's party, but, the game crashes on the second round of that combat without fail. I don't specifically recall this happening when I LPed the game, but, it seems other people have had a similar issue. The cause seems to steam from either some interaction with saved states, or playing for too long, from what I can gather. I'm not particularly inclined to try Luca again any time soon, though. ;_;

Grandia 2

Liligue City's local "delicacy" of arum root was also nothing of the sort. It has no texture, flavor, or taste at all. Meanwhile, Gadan seems to enjoy a full meal every day.

As it happens, this town, and it's residents, are cursed by the Tounge of Valmar. They had excavated a ruins at the base of the town's pillars, wherein a Seal of Granas was located, and the seal somehow broke, and infected Gadan, along with the other residents. However, it's Ryudo's observation that the people of this town were willing to basically sacrifice their sense of taste if it meant that they could live in otherwise luxury. I don't know how much profit is made from their Skyway transportation service. They are certainly within their power to set whatever price they want for tickets on their end of the Skyway. I don't know how the other end of the Skyway works because, of course, the journey is met with disaster.

The storm tossed Ryudo and company somewhere in Lumir Forest. The snow is thick in some areas, impeding movement. Yet, within this cold forest is this beautiful garden. How could such a thing thrive in a climate such as this? A mysterious girl is there, but, meeting with her only raises more questions. What's more odd is that when we leave the garden, the place we end up at is a few paces from it's supposed entrance. Which we now fail to find. Or, said entrance is behind a conveniently placed fence. Either way, we make a stop in Mirumu Village.

Of course, this village has it's own issues. It's citizens fall asleep at a moment's notice, and some have not awoken in days. Those that do wake up only recall nightmares of a shadowy being watching them. This might not be a simple case of widespread narcolepsy, or extreme fatigue, but something more sinister. When we mention the garden, and the girl, to the innkeeper, she immediately places the blame on Sandra, and her daughter, Aria. Aria once had very poor eyesight. Yet, she was cured almost at the same time the town began to experience it's problems.

The "one person is blessed while the others are cursed" is something we recently experienced with Gadan in Liligue City. It remains to be seen if Mirumu is in a similar situation.

In other news, I've a small inclination to play Might and Magic 2 - Gates to Another World. I'm only interested in the end-game sequence, though, so, I dunno if "playing" is the correct term to use if I end up skipping a good majority of the gameplay? RMN's 14th Birthday should be ending tomorrow, so, that might be something to look into for the next week or two.
Marrend
Suikoden 2

Okay, so, saved states are completely out of the question in the Luca fights. Plus, PEC, by virtue of being my video driver, can cause a game-crash during these fights? This almost makes me want to cancel this game, it's getting that annoying. Almost.

After taking a bit of a breather to clam myself down, and some mental preparation, it's finally done. Luca Blight has died, thanks to the combined efforts of the Dunan Army, Jowy, and Leon.

Of course, Luca had to die. His lust for blood was unquenchable, and would ultimately harm Highland in the end. However, peace will still not come easy. Highland still has the upper hand, militarily speaking, and I doubt they'll just hand over Muse and Greenhill.

Either way, I unlock the ability to add Tir into the party. While it's no small task to go to his house in Gregminster, he's certainly a powerful ally. Then again, there is a code on CodeTwink that slots Tir into the sixth slot of the party, sooooo... yeah, I'll be using that, rather than going all the way to Gregminster from this point onward. XD

I also noticed a code labeled "Disable item crash" on CodeTwink's database, which certainly quirked an eyebrow. Rather than going more than a little off-tangent about the technicality behind the item hack I've been using, it's seems safe to say that it's a kind of "item enable" that allows me to hack inventory on the fly rather than being only allowed to have it enabled when loading a hard-save. If only such a thing existed for Suikoden 4 as well!

Grandia 2

The town is in lockdown, thanks to the arrival of the Cathedral Knights, lead by High Priestess Selene. We have no choice but to stay the night, and this leads to nightmares. Thankfully, we can wake up from them, only to find floating eyeballs fluttering about. We give chase, cornering them into a cave at the edge of town, coming across a broken Seal of Granas in the process. Which means that a Piece of Valmar is on the loose, and those things were just small fry.

The situation in town hasn't gotten any better, which is all the more proof that we haven't actually done what was needed. Ryudo considers the possibility that Aria is the one that the Piece of Valmar has inhabited, with much protesting and argument from Elena. How can a mere child have the capacity for evil to become a vessel of Valmar?

Now, Aria can be pretty creepy at times, but, she gets even creepier when she leads us to the shed behind her house. There's a hole there that leads directly to the room where the broken Seal of Granas lies. As if that wasn't a bad enough sign, Aria activates some kind of teleport that takes us to the garden from before. To make matters even worse, her third eye opens. She calls it the Eye of Granas, as it is through this eye that she can see and is blessed. We chase her away, being a little freaked out by the whole "third eye" thing in the first place.

There's trouble brewing when we get back to town. It was bad enough that we left town, as Selene's edict was that nobody is allowed to enter or leave town, and any who makes an attempt would be considered a minion of Darkness, and "purified". In other words, they would be killed on the spot. However, it seems enough people are pointing the finger of guilt at Sandra, and Selene has appeared before her house. She pretty much threatens Sandra, then the nearby townsflok, saying that there would be "consequences" (ie: the town getting burned to the ground) if the town sides with Darkness.

To be fair, Selene is correct in saying that Aria has been infused with the Eye of Valmar. However, the only solution she can bring is a sword through the heart. Not that Millenia's solution is any better. While she can remove the Eye, Aria's soul would be lost in the process, just like with Gadan. However, we really don't have the time to discuss this, and figure out a better, more humane alternative.

The battle against the Eye was hard-fought, and we defeated it, only for Millenia to take it's power into herself. Aria was reserved to her fate, but only because her mother was there, could see the garden, and Aria could see how much she was loved.

With the Eye's power now within Milleina, the garden ceases to exist, leaving behind a desolate plain. Only one lone flower remains, and Millenia uses it to focus Sandra's purpose to continue living; to make the garden bloom again as to honor the memory of Aria. It's a little telling that Millenia, who is now infused with three Pieces of Valmar, is starting to show a more human nature than the demonic nature that Valmar would likely have. This may be in no small part to sharing a soul with Elena, who has a sense of justice and morality. However, it may also be in no small part because of Ryudo's like senses.

I kinda feel I'm going at a really quick pace with Grandia 2, and might actually finish it before Suikoden 2, despite the fact that I've been at Suikoden 2 longer. Eh, I guess we'll see.
AtiyaTheSeeker
Been a bit. Let's get into it.

Wasteland 3
Yes, really! If I play this next month, will this count for a Christmas In July game? After dealing with an overbearing asshat among the Hundred Families, I have driven my Rangers to the Yuma County Speedway. The goal is to turn Liberty's various raider gangs against each other, then go after her and the Dorsey remnants. Divide and conquer. There are two main objectives to sand the gastanks of Libby's war machine -- set the Payasos and Godfishers against each other, and make the Scar Collectors infight. I am halfway to doing the former!

Dragon Quest 8
I'd started this one the other day! Charming, but the opening waterfall cave dungeon has had me go in, grind a bit while advancing, and heading back out. Feels like a whole lotta nothing inside sadly, so I hope the other dungeons will be more fun. I'm giving my Hero spears and his Courage skills; Yangus will train Fisticuffs early on and use axes otherwise; Jessica will use whips and staves to confound and support; Angelo will be my main swordsman and also train in bows.

Battle For Esturia
Played a brief session! I like the old-school aesthetic, and it is what I imagine Ultima felt like back when. I didn't get far before quitting out, so won't add it to my games list just yet.

Final Fantasy Tactics
Slowly grinding through. Keyword: slowly. I'd only beaten the second Orbonne Monstery battle of three, and I know the next one writes "Defeat Weigraf!" as its objective in bold letters with many underlines. It's basically a race to eliminate Weigraf before his massive damage annihilates your team, let alone his backup. Ughhhhhh.

RMN Maker Game Plans
I do wanna give the demo for Calunio's Lonely League a spin, let alone continue Antilurker's Door of Shadows and others. Stay tuned.
Hmm this year has been a slow year for me on gaming, recently for May and June

Tomb Raider 2013
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Shadow of the tomb raider

I kind of wished I didn't play this trilogy back to back, because by the end of the third game I was extremely burnt out and didn't care, Lara is a boring and quite frankly a spoiled brat and just completely unlikable.

Final Fantasy IV
I finally played through this one just recently, I loved it, but the story and characters were just so flat, and honestly going to the moon and there being a moon colony of people was just kind of bizarre for a game that took itself seriously to this point.

Honestly unlike last year where I was playing something new almost every month from the start, this year has been considerably slower, I do plan on eventually getting to FF X someday, that game has been on my bucket list for a while, and I own 4 copies of the damn thing lol.
Marrend
I'm gonna do this week's update early, since I've apparently caught myself into The Gammak TrapTM, (C), patent pending with acquiring RPG Maker MZ through the Steam summer sale, plus the free trial promotion it had a bit earlier in the week.

Suikoden 2

Okay, that "Disable Item Crash" code doesn't work exactly the way I thought it would. Rather go into details and/or theories, let it suffice to say that I can at least hack Stat-Stones into my inventory on the fly, as I have a full set in my warehouse. If I am to be honest, Stat-Stones are what I hack into my inventory 90% of the time. The other 10% is whatever I might need to recruit. XD

Either way, we have a humble request from the Lampdragon Bandits to take care of. The reports of the attackers sound strangely like zombies. If it's Neclord that's leading them, his goal is more likely to be Crom, itself. Viktor has to come, to settle his personal debt, and also to wield the Star Dragon Sword. A certain part of me wants to also bring both Hix and Tengaar along, but, I choose not to worry too much about that. Besides, Khan is going to force himself into the party at some point. Perhaps Sierra might do the same?

In any event, the bandit camp has already been attacked by zombies. The camp was burned, and the bridges were cut to prevent the undead from advancing further, or at least slowing them down. Our next objective is to speak to Gustav is Tinto. Gustav is happy to see us, and seems willing enough to help the Dunan Army, provided we help him deal with Neclord. Which, fair, I guess.

I'm not sure how Jess got here, or where he's been since the fall of Muse. Either way, he's still very much under the impression that Riou assassinated Annabelle. Riou isn't very good at lying, but, telling Jess the truth will merely have him mock Riou for stooping so low as to place blame on an old friend. Of course, saying nothing will merely be an seen as an acquiescence to his assertions, so there really isn't any winning here.

The petty feud Jess has with Riou isn't the battle we came here to win, though. The battle we must win here is against Neclord, and Jess has information as to his hideout. The information proves incorrect, as Riou and Nanami find Neclord in the Tinto mines. Neclord tries to place a curse on Riou, but the Bright Shield protects him, and the pair barely escape with their lives.

Grandia 2

The Saint Hiam Papal State lies beyond the Saint Hiem Mountains. It takes us two days to cross the mountains, and arrive at the city, and spend one night at the inn before proceeding to the cathedral.

The Pope gives us a new quest. We are to seek out, and find, the Granasaber. The only clue to be had is it can be found among the People of Darkness. Whatever that means! We don't really have any leads, but, Roan suggests gathering information in the Kingdom of Cyrum. Seems to be as good a place to start as any, given our otherwise lack of direction.
AtiyaTheSeeker
Dragon Quest 8
Been playing this a lot lately. It held up surprisingly well, and felt more like a true Dragon Quest with new innovations than I worried it would. Each boss except the first managed to kill off my team the first time I fought them, but I have learned to stop worrying and love the grind maybe a year ago. Had just finished the events of Maella Abbey, and the full party is assembled.

I'm not totally sure which skills I wanna get for Jessica -- the ultimate whip skill seems OP, and knives seem underwhelming as much as I like mages with daggers. If and when I find Seeds of Skill, I may just give them to Jess as I'm pretty set on the lads' plans. The Hero, who I named Kitts, will be primarily Spears and Courage. Yangus will be Fisticuffs, Axes and some Humanity. Angelo will rock Swords, maybe Bows, and some of his Charisma.

Character stats in spoilers below! Note that Angelo's stats are his defaults.

Kitts (Hero): Lv 13 - HP 94, MP 38, ATK 62, DEF 46
Skills: Spears 13 (Spear ATK +5, Mercurial Thrust, Thunder Thrust); Courage 14 (Zoom spell)
Gear: Iron Lance, Scale Armor, Leather Hat, Scale Shield, Gold Rosary (+WIS)

Yangus: Lv 13 - HP 97, MP 16, ATK 65, DEF 53
Skills: Axes 8 (Helm Splitter), Fisticuffs 20 (Unarmed ATK +20, Unarmed AGI +10, Unarmed Crit Chance Up), Humanity 13 (Whistle and Heal spells)
Gear: Chain Mail, Pointy Hat, Bronze Shield, Slime Earrings (+DEF)

Jessica: Lv 12 - HP 62, MP 43, ATK 38, DEF 43
Skills: Whips 15 (Whip ATK +5, Whiplash), Staves 1, Sex Appeal 10 (Blow Kiss)
Gear: Thorn Whip, Silk Robe, Feathered Cap, Scale Shield, Gold Bracer (+DEF)

Angelo: Lv 12 - HP 72, MP 38, ATK 54, DEF 45
Skills: None yet lawl
Gear: Rapier, Templar's Uniform, Scale Shield, Templar's Ring (+DEF)

Final Fantasy Tactics
Managed to finally put up with the Weigraf do-or-die fight, and won. Apparently the WotL translation mod I'm using also has the Japanese-exclusive special books translated and reintegrated into the game? Did a couple sessions of JP grinding, and am about to enter the woods before Riovanes to get to Chapter 3's finale.

Current character stats for everyone who's name isn't Rapha are below.

Ramza: Squire - Mettle / White Magicks / Absorb MP / Arcane Defense / Move +1
Gear: Ancient Sword, Aegis Shield, Close Helm, Chameleon Robe, Germinas Boots

Raziya: Monk - Martial Arts / Items / Archer's Bane / Throw Items / Move +2
Gear: Barrette, Power Garb, Power Gauntlet

Jengo: Knight - Arts of War / Iaido / Dragonheart / Concentration / Move +1
Gear: Platinum Sword, Flame Shield, Diamond Helm, Platinum Armor, Magepower Glove

Maia: Black Mage - Black Magicks / Mystic Arts / Parry / Defense Boost / Move +2
Gear: Wizard's Rod, Gold Hairpin, Black Robe, Red Shoes

Nazreen: Geomancer - Geomancy / White Magicks / Parry / Equip Polearms / Jump +1
Gear: Partisan, Headband, Power Garb, Elven Cloak

Mustadio: Chemist - Items / Aimed Shot / Counter Tackle / JP Boost / Move +1
Gear: Mythril Gun, Green Beret, Power Garb, Elven Cloak

Agrias: Holy Knight - Holy Sword / Items / Parry / JP Boost / Move +1
Gear: Diamond Sword, Diamond Shield, Diamond Helm, Diamond Armor, Diamond Bracelet (:3)

Cancelled Games (And Discussing One I Might Cancel)
So. Let's do this again, shall we? MMOs don't hold my interest long, so Final Fantasy 14 is gone. I suck at fighting games, so Soul Calibur 6 is also gone. And well... let's finally get into the reasons why I held off of Wasteland 3 and why I'm this close to kicking it off of my play list, at long friggin' last. As this will contain spoilers and perhaps controversial opinions, spoiler tag.

The motherfucking moral dilemma.

Okay. So. The premise of the game is that the Desert Rangers are in logistical danger due to the canon events of Wasteland 2. They're supposed to be altruistic heroes of the wasteland, getting by on personal hunting and scavenging, or through donations. Self-sacrificing too, as the canon events of WL2 revealed. Due to being in a bad spot, sending a dispatch party to Colorado to help a tyrant called The Patriarch wrangle his three asshole kids. If they do so, he's sending a steady shipment of supplies back to the boys and girls and enbies back home. Hijinks in a literal nuclear winter ensue.

A beloved character declared KIA from WL2, Angela Deth, has been contacting the detachment team. She's got some sort of master plan to unthrone the Patriarch and end his corruption, of which the player sees throughout the game. Part one is to kill the Patriarch's brats; I turned in Val and Vic, both unfit to lead, as our patriarchal dom-daddy Saul wanted. Part two is to kill Liberty, who has every raider gang in Colorado on a leash as a warlord herself. I am A-okay with killing her, and partly for reasons I'll explain below.

Part three is a messy revolt, and guess who's helping? A raider warlord who we rescued from the Patriarch's secret jail, and Angela's giving him and his Scar Collectors crew free reign to rape and pillage Kansas after! The elephant in the room is that unseating the Patriarch from power means the Desert Rangers die out, with no stable and steady supplies to give. There is no promise things will be as prosperous as they were under Saul Buchanan, or even that those the Rangers oversee take power will make it work out. Not to mention that aside from the hidden corruption, Colorado Springs is surprisingly stable and prosperous for the majority of people, and other factions who aren't raiders outside the city are getting by.

Who's to say some despot won't take Colorado Springs' place, or that Angela won't make the Rangers there into tyrants (or become one herself), or that the happy and complacent? Despite my views against the Patriarch, I am by no means any kind of anarchist. There are fan theories that after all that happened in the previous game, Angela has developed PTSD and cracked in her black-and-white sense of justice. Hell, she's always been that way even in Wasteland 2.

You have to side with either Angela or Saul. There is no "wild card" option like in Fallout: New Vegas. A golden ending exists but is asinine to achieve. The ending I had wanted to obtain was one where I kill off Liberty and stop Angela's revolt. With the Rangers staying in Colorado, and with no stable heir to Saul's legacy in his waning health and old age, the Rangers would apparently oversee a passing of the torch to a newer leadership. One that might not make the same cruel decisions Saul has done in secret throughout his life.

Order is milquetoast, but revolution is dangerous. I went the middle road on Gippers Vs Machine Commune over the ownership of that Reagan AI, sure. But the thing of it is? I don't want to make this fucking decision. I'm the type of person who had a hard time picking asshole dialogue choices in make-believe fucking video games, so why would I be thrilled to let Saul get away with his bullshit, his daughter dead or alive? Fucking reminds me of Fallout 3's The Pitt DLC, which has a similar kick-in-the-guts moral dilemma too.

I'd rather be the fucking hero in games, not having to make hard decisions like this. If anyone gets sacrificed, it's my avatar or the hero I'm controlling. Not innocents who cross some post-apoc boomer in power armor sitting on a throne of fucking warheads. And by the way, the cheesy pop culture references in-game are getting old too, now that I'm just bitching about nitpicks. No way I can even feel Battle of Steeltown will be worth my while unless they have a New Game+.

I'm tired of the post-apocalyptic genre. I've fallen out with Fallout by now. I'd rather see my "apocalypse fox" OC as a displaced ranger of the wastes turned superhero in a modern Earth, as I used to do in the past. But it hurts that I'm so close to the finale and I have to make this one awful decision. I know I took a month-or-two-long sabbatical before I cleared Dragon Quest 3 for the first time. Maybe this one for this game will continue. Maybe I'll complete it after all, once I reinstall it from Steam. Thank RNGesus for cloud saves.

But right now, fuck Wasteland 3.
Fflo
Be careful ! I'm French
Let's go with another game in my diary.

This time, it's a popular ROM hack of Pokémon named Pokémon Flora Sky, based on Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald but with Pokémon from the first 5 generations.

The introduction is completely the same than the official game. Your family moves in a new region, you meet your rival and then Prof. Birch.
He gives you one of the 3 Sinnoh starters (playing Main version ; for the Complementary Dex the starters are the Kanto ones). I chose Turtwig.

Once your travel companion has been chosen, you're ready to win to all other trainers!
The first routes are classical. And the species you find there are super basic: Patrat, Zigzagoon, Starly. If you're lucky, you may find and catch Ralts or Lotad.

You quickly meet with Team Magma as 2 grunts lock the access to a forest.
Another rival, named Sky, appears and often challenges you.

When you reach the first town after having defeated a few trainers on the way, you may go to its gym. The Leader uses Fighting types. His ace is a Level 10 Hitmonchan. Why was I worried? My team was Turtwig at Level 14 with Razor Leaf ; and Ralts at level 11 with an interesting Confusion attack ; even if its defenses are lame.

And a funny collision glitch:

I'm looking like a green-haired Marge Simpson! ;-)
Marrend
Iiiiiiiiiit's Howdy Doody update time!

Suikoden 2

Sierra has joined the cause. If nothing else, the Blue Moon Rune that Neclord stole is rightfully hers, and she desires to reclaim it.

After the party returns, it is learned that the situation has become more dire. Gutav's daughter, Lilly, and one of the Lampdragon Bandits, Low Wen, have been kidnapped by Neclord. It kinda sounds like he's still pulling the "abduct women to make them my 'wife'" scheme that he was trying to pull in Warrior's Village. A real one-trick pony, but, I guess when you're basically immortal and invincible, you just don't care to have better ideas?

The party decides to go to the mines near Crom as a back entrance to Tinto. They know Neclord knows about this route, as that's how Riou and Nanami met him a few days before. Which means the path might be guarded. However, it's still probably a safer bet than going through the front door!

As predicted, Neclord had placed a Stone Golem in the mines to guard against intruders coming from that direction. There's no resting between that and Neclord, so we conserve our resources and magic a bit. Against Neclord, himself, though, we go all out, and the vampire falls before even one full round of combat is done. The Blue Moon Rune is transferred back to Sierra, with Lilly and Lo Wen safe and sound. Though, Lo Wen has a few words of insult to her associates.

For freeing Tinto, Jess is willing to let go of his bias towards Riou, and joins the Dunan Army with Hauser. There's a few people we can recruit before reporting our success to HQ (which I do XD), but, the story of Neclord has finally come to a close.

With Tinto's forces adding to our number, Shu plans an attack to liberate Greenhill. Half the forces will divert any reinforcements, while the other half take the city. Yuber is in charge of the city's defenses, and has the assistance of Lucia, and a number of Karayan warriors. The army-battle was a hard-fought victory, onto itself, but, the game seems to assume the player went to help the other forces instead. So, rather than the army-battle conquering Greenhill, Teresa takes us along the backroads into the academy, and open the gates from the inside. Lucia guards this path, but, she is beaten back again. The Dunan Army then routs the remnants of the Highland army stationed there, and allow Teresa a bit of time among her people.

While the Dunan Army had it's hands full with Greenhill, Leon Silverburg has taken Matilda. Or, rather, it would probably be more correct in saying that Matilda will remain neutral for the foreseeable future. It didn't sound like there was a heck of a lot of fighting, with Gorudo surrendering without a fight. The game doesn't go into too many details here, but, I can imagine Leon going all, "Highland would never dare to attack Matilda! Your knights are much too strong for us, and would merely make our army look like fools. However, it would not be to it's benefit to ally with the Dunan Army either." I could see Gorudo, being full of himself, listening to that, too.

However, with the bulk of the Highland Army at Matilda, Dunan takes a gamble, and attempt to liberate Muse. While Colgan, Seed, and Lucia are deployed against them, Colgan and Seed eventually withdraw, with Lucia buying enough time for the Golden Hounds to be released upon Muse. They are pretty tough critters, and the army must retreat to reorganize, and try again another day, after a bit more recruiting on Riou's part. This is the last set of recruits in the game, and it only took me about 27 hours to get here.

Grandia 2

We must cross a pilgrimage road on Mount Hiem, and Raul Hills, before reaching the Kingdom of Cyrum. This particular leg of the journey is not terribly difficult for this hardy party. I briefly consider using Raul Hills to grind, but, meh.

The party arrives near a time of festivities. Roan seems to have business of his own to take care of, so he's out for the count for now. There's a bazaar set up in the square, and the innkeeper seems to think a man named Humble may be able to have some info for the party. It's no guarantee, but, as the party has no further leads at the moment, they decide to go meet him.

They were told that Hemble's interest can be piqued by a pair introducing themselves as a romantic couple. Elena is both shocked and embarrassed by the suggestion that she pose with Ryudo as such a couple. I have no idea how good of an actor Ryudo is, but, Elena likely isn't very good at concealing lies. Regardless, Hemble challenges Ryudo to am arm-wrestling match. This match plays out as a mini-game, and this match is scripted to win. Which is a good thing, because I absolutely suck at it, and would loose if it weren't for that.

Turns out, the guy knows nothing. It was a complete waste of time and effort. For what it's worth, Ryudo and Elena enjoy the bazaar for a bit, until Elena takes a seat, and Ryudo goes out for for some refreshments. When he comes back, Millennia has taken the stage. Ryudo's taken back a bit from this, and Millenia has him do the rounds in the bazaar with her. Mareg and Roan eventually rejoin the pair, with the news that there is trouble in the castle that they should deal with. What this has to do with their mission is unknown, but, given how there are still no leads to the Granasaber, Ryudo tags along, with Millenia in tow.

It eventually comes to light that Roan is the Prince of Cyrum, and the "trouble" he's referring to has to do with a gate the royal family is in charge of guarding. He's heard that opening it could start a war, or spell a different disaster, but, details are sketchy, at best. The key to that door is the medal Roan was so adamant on finding when we first met him. Still, there is a gatekeeper, and he was told by the king that his services would no longer be necessary. What does this mean? No clue. Only way to know is to ask the king, and see what his intention with the gate is.

The king makes his intention quite clear. He's going to open the gate. He doesn't need Roan's medal to open the gate, resorting to explosives instead. Or, at least, that's the impression I get with the screen rumbling, and what's left of the door when the party returns. The gatekeeper isn't in great shape either. However, the party's main concern is to stop the king from whatever crazy plan he's got going. Also, Mareg can smell Melfice, which is definitely not a good sign.

Beyond the Gate of Darkness lies some kind of factory. Ryudo doesn't get the sense that the Granasaber is here, but, the question remains what this factory is for, and how it ties to whatever catastrophe is supposed to happen when the gate is opened.
Fflo
Be careful ! I'm French
I'm not really sure if I can talk about this since it's not a commercial game...

In the evening of June 30th, I've participated in a French Sonic Robo Blast 2 Kart tournament ; to celebrate Sonic's 30th birthday.
I didn't expect to struggle with more than 25 other players to get first. The first prize was a Sonic game.

All players were spreaded in 3 pools of 8 to 9 players. Each pool plays 6 random races from a defined list of 30. The first 2 players go to the finals. The rest is sent to play-offs.

The problem in my pool is that 2 players were way better than the rest and almost always took the first 2 places, although my performance wasn't bad anyways.

An embarrassing problem appeared on race 5...

I won. But the server crashed at the same time. The game doesn't like me. And the race won't count for the leaderboard.

I was still optimist anyways: 3rd overall with just 5 points behind the 2 pros and 2 races left. If one of them makes a huge mistake and finishes near the last place, I could still have a chance.
But I screwed the next 2 races by finishing 7th and 6th. Tss.
Pool ranking: 4th/9, 15 points less than the pro duo.

The two other pools were played right after.
The play-offs were splitted in 2 pools. Only the first player qualifies!

Plot twist: I gave up just before my turn. It was too late for me to keep going. Too exhausted. 11 PM.
AtiyaTheSeeker
Dragon Quest 8
Just cleared Ascantha's quest, and am onward to Pickham. Hope there's a cool new axe for Yangus there. I'm reminded that Dragon Quest doesn't always throw bosses at the end of every dungeon, and I kinda like that. Makes boss battles more special that way. Other than new spells and skills, and Yangus getting an Iron Cuirass to wear, not much changed for equips. Don't feel like sharing stats this time.

Fallout 4
Yes, really. Got the itch to play as Dana again. Once more, thank goodness for cloud saves on Steam. I'm about to visit Diamond City for the first time this file at level 16, and had made some headway on the Automatron quests. When I'm done fussing around with some main quests stuff in the ballpark settlement, Dana's on a manhunt for the Machinist's robobrains after. Eventually I wanna reclaim The Castle for the Minutemen, and maybe run with the Brotherhood of Steel for a little bit?

Final Fantasy Tactics
Managed to clear Riovanes Castle and with it, the third act is complete. Meliadoul kicked my ass and I forgot to save before her fight, not realizing I'd run into her. After reloading save states like three or four times to try the fight, I realized it was futile. Luckily I'd saved at the start of Chapter Four, so I didn't lose more progress than the opening battle of the chapter. Much as it'll be expensive to reequip my party, it may be for the best to send all my beefiest crew against Meliadoul and her squad. Her ranged attacks that just auto-break your gear is ruuuuude.

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Fussing around with a little of this, too. Did experiment with a stealth-mage build, using a Wood Elf. I sucked at it. So I'm back to using Raziya, and last I recall I was doing the Mage's Guild quest in Chorrol? Luckily Razzy's a Khajiit in this universe, who won't necessarily have qualms with stealing that one ex-guild mage's book back.

Marrend
Suikoden 2

Shu sent Kiba to Viktor's old fort as a distraction, and it seems to be working. While Kiba may have lost his life in the battle, it was enough of a distraction to have the Highland forces in Matilda be on a more manageable level.

The next part of Shu's plan is to send a small party, lead by Lord Riou himself, into Rockaxe to burn the Highland flag that's it is flying, and replace it with the Dunan Army's flag. This should have an effect on the Highland soldiers in the area, given the belief that Rockaxe has fallen to Dunan.

What Shu might not have predicted is that Jowy stands between Riou and the way forward. While Riou would fight any Highland official, or general, he still cannot bring himself to fight Jowy. It's something of a stare-off between the two friends until Gorudo shows up, and fires arrows on their position, showing his true ambition of wanting both Highland and the City-State for himself. Nanami does her best to deflect the arrows, but, it's not enough. The unforgivable crime has Jowy and Riou form a truce, even if only temporary, to mete out justice to the villain. Gorudo, and his men, stand no chance against the bearers of Bright Shield and Black Sword.

While Shu's plan eventually worked, the price that was paid was heavy. Loosing both Nanami and Kiba hurts, but, the Dunan Army has a chance to end this stupid war for good. It would honor their memories to continue the fight, until the end. I will note that doctor Huan wanted to have a talk with Shu, which is a sign that the other half of the 108 Bouns of Destiny is possible. However, it still behooves me to make a new save juuuuuuust in case!

After the skirmish outside L'Renouille, it's high-time the Dunan Army end this war. It's also high-time to see the last of Clive's events. I'm 8 hours over the limit, but, a little UGEing of the game-clock can fix that. I'll admit I was curious to see where this story ends. I suppose it could only end the way it did. I'm glad the option to pursue the story is there, even if there's some hoops to go through. I'm certain I'll never see all the events in a perfectly legit manner, with the way I insist in applying Stat Stones on characters that are in the party for even the briefest of periods. As for seeing it again at all, well, probably not my next play-through.

Either way, game complete, with the full 108% bonus, and it took me somewhere around 29-ish hours? I don't recall the other values on the time-stamp, but, I more or less expected a 30-hour game.

Grandia 2

The plant can be rather labyrinthine in it's passages and walkable pipelines. At the bottom is the control room, and the Claws of Valmar. To make a long story short, this facility is a factory for the construction of androids. I'm not sure if the intent here was to have an army so numerous as to take over the world or not, but, what Roan was saying earlier about the door "leading to war" is beginning to make more sense, should the gate be opened by a person of great ambition.

Either way, the Claws had taken over one such soldier, but, with no "soul" to devour, it likely took over immediately. The party, naturally, beats the Claws to a pulp, and Milleina takes the power of the Claws onto herself. Roan gets a little peeved at the truth. That the secret behind the gate wasn't some secret so terrible as to be best left unknown, but merely a mass-production facility for these soldiers. He starts hitting a nearby console, and, purposefully or not, starts up a self-destruct mechanism. Mareg gets it in his head to preserve the soldier, as he feels some kind of strange kinship to her. She may have been a tool for war, but, her life, such as it is, was ruined by Valmar.

The soldier's functionality eventually returns. Mareg no longer senses any ill will towards us, and Roan points out that without commands, the solider can't do anything. Why Roan is of the belief that it was his father that constructed that facility, I'll never know. I'm under the distinct impression that the facility has been locked behind that gate for centuries. Perhaps, even, since the Battle of Good and Evil. If the intent was, rather, to ask why the King wanted it opened, okay, I get that question entirely.

Whatever the case, the android prompts for a command. Mareg tells the soldier she is free, with Ryudo following up that she can do whatever she wants before they chase after Roan and Millenia. Even attempting to process the command to "be free" effectively throws an exception in her programming, with the soldier saying aloud, "What is 'free'? I don't understand" after the party leaves.

So, one might be wondering what the King actually has to say about all this. Alas, when we find the King, he's on the ground, with Melfice standing there, sword in hand. So, of course, the party fights Melfice. The battle is scripted so that the party cannot win. I've played this more than enough times, certainly with more plentiful applications of stat stones than this play-through, and he takes 0 damage every single goddamn time. With enough applications of Stat Stones, it can be quite long and annoying, because he'll eventually not be able to do any damage either!

Anyway, the party gets wiped, and the soldier from before throws a chakram, as if to block Melfice's next blow. He could probably ignore all that, but, chooses instead to run off, telling the party that he could be meet in Ryudo's hometown. Probably not what Ryudo would like to hear, but, what can one do?

Once again, the android prompts Mareg for a command, and once again, Mareg responds that she should decide for herself. That, with her skills, she could live well. No immediate response from the soldier, but, one can gather that this kind of order still throws an exceptional number of errors in her programming.

For being assaulted by Melfice (who is being influenced/controlled by the Horns of Valmar, by the way), the King seems relatively fine? His mind might not be 100% there, but, he might recover. Still, it seems like Roan is going to stay here, and call the shots for a while. Alas, this means he will not be able to travel with Ryudo and company. However, that does not translate to a three-man party. No, the android solider joins them in their journey. Her unit designation is "Tio", which is good enough a name as any.

Table Top Simulator

For full disclosure, I play this every Monday online with one of my brothers, using the platform as a "try before you buy" deal. If a game that has piqued initial interest has a workshop mod, we play in on TTS to see if it could be added to our collection.

However, I want to note a bit of a nostalgia run on my part. There were a lot of workshop mods for Hero Quest, but, I whittled it down to a pretty comprehensive one. While Hero Quest doesn't have a solo mode rules in the box, I made up some rules over the summer some number of years back. I can't remember the exact year(s) I played my custom campaign but, this would be somewhere between 1990 to 1998.

Darigaaz, even with the lowest value on that range, we're still talking over 20 years ago. More probably 25-ish. ;_;
Cap_H
DIGITAL IDENTITY CRISIS
july
(I might add pictures later

1. Prince of Persia: Sands of Time
I started playing this after watching the film to come up with ideas for a better adaptation. There's stuff I like, but it's quite unplayable without mouse. I might get one later to play more of Prince. I enjoy platforming, visual style, which still is very pretty despite being quite outdated. I also enjoy the simplistic story (it's far from great but it fits the game really well) and the Prince being an arrogant prick.

2. Stillness of the Wind

This might look like a farming simulator, but it's an art game and it makes you think about death in surprising ways (even after my first session I went to smoke a cigarette and suddenly thought about it). The story is very well presented through mechanics and it really makes you realize how time changes things and that everything is only temporary in a large scheme.

3. Westerado: Double Barreled
I wanted to play this one because of graphics. This kind of pixelated style used to be my favourite. It's surprisingly fun ope world experience. Some could call it tiny Read Dead. The scope of the project is really nice, I finished the game in 5 hours and explored about 2/3rds of its content. It plays a lot like rpg with various quest and earning favours, but after receiving enough details, you can either continue playing or go for the finale early. I recommend it to anyone struggling with scope of their rpg maker projects too.

4. Heat Signature
I love this game. I probably will continue to play it, so I'll expand on it later.
AtiyaTheSeeker
Wasteland 3
I did it. Today, playing on a whim, I decided to marathon what was left in the game. The endgame scenario after taking down Liberty Buchanan was pretty intense. The final boss battle against Angela Deth, two veteran Rangers and her hand-picked rebel allies was... intense. It wasn't the hardest fight in the game, but it was climactic and melancholy nevertheless. I wound up getting the ending I wanted -- the Rangers will choose the successor to the Patriarch when he finally croaks.

What a journey it's been. I'd love to complete Final Fantasy Tactics by the end of the year. This 60-hour adventure had its ups, its downs, and its country song recollection of the major plot points. Like, one before the Fallout-style "ending reel" of what happened to all the main characters and companions. I went into the final battle with Marshal Kwon instead of Pizepi, as I had some heavy-duty big guns and didn't want Pizepi to eat all of Dana's energy cells. Maybe someday I'll play that DLC adventure but for now, I have completed this apocalyptic quest.

Also, I managed to let Lucia get the killing blow on Liberty. Like Delita killing Argath in FFT, I felt it was a fitting finale to that fight.
Marrend
Grandia 2

I think, if I were playing this without a virtual CodeBreaker, I would be tempted to re-vist Raul Hills to get Tio's skills on par with the rest of my party. However, since I do have a virtual CodeBreaker, I think we can just get on with the game.

To get to the Island of Garlan, the party will need to take a boat. As one might expect. The place seems to be across the Granacliffs from the Kingdom of Cryum, and one must wonder how a mere boat can cross them.

Either way, Elena is unused to boats, and gets a little seasick. Ryudo asks the captain if there is a place they can go ashore for a bit. The captain complains about the wind, and agrees, noting that if the wind should pick up, we are to go back to the ship hastily.

The Ceceile Reef has these rather large pearl-like objects scattered about that turn out to be the eggs of monsters that hatch as the party rests. They awake surrounded, and notice that the tide has come in, cutting of the path we took from the ship. WELP!

Worried that the wind might pick up before the tide rescinds, the party tries finding a different path to the boat. It's definitely the long way around, and the fact that they have to cut through monsters doesn't make it any better. However, they reach the ship just in time for the wind to pick up, and it's relatively smooth sailing until the ship approaches the Granacliffs.

So, the plan to cross the Granacliffs is more than a bit of a gamble. The ship isn't called the Fifty-Fifty for nothing! See, the good captain has been making Mareg pump compressed air into a tank every day. The idea being that, with enough released pressure, and with a good wind on their backs, the boat "flies" over the Granacliffs. It's more than a close call, as the ship barely makes the jump.

When the party arrives in town, there is not a single person that shows Ryudo any respect. Naturally, Elena is curious about what all happened, but, Ryudo is tight-lipped. He often says that he prefers to forget, so, perhaps one cannot entirely blame him for staying silent. However, when the party stays at the inn, Skye gives Elena the run-down. Which I will attempt to summarize here.

Garan has a tradition/reputation for training swordsmen. Ryudo and Melfice became among the strongest in the village. Also of note is that there is an idol that was supposed to protect the village from harm. This idol was, naturally, a sword. It was also said that it's power was such that it could only be wielded by the most powerful swordsmen in the world.

At any rate, there came a day when a storm hit the island, with some peculiar rumblings were felt in the direction were the idol was housed. Assuming their guardian was angry, the elder sent his daughter, Reena, appease the idol. How many days passed is unknown, but, the storm didn't seem like it was dying down any too soon. The elder then sent an investigative team, headed by Melfice. Ryudo was not a part of this team, but, he followed them from a distance.

By the time Ryudo caught up with Melfice, it was too late to do much of anything. Melfice's sword had already run Reena clean through. He then disappeared, without a trace, and with him, the idol.

While Ryudo, himself, is innocent of any real crime, he's still guilty by association. By being the brother of the man that killed Reena, and stole the idol. Though, the idol's true from being the Horns of Valmar is certainty a consideration. Even if that were not the case, I can't help but to note how fast Melfice was corrupted by the Horns, while Elena is still very much holding steady against Millenia. This, despite Milleina also now encompassing the Tongue, Eye, and Claws of Valmar. Then again, Millenia can have such a laid-back attitude at times, so, maybe I'm reading too much into this.

The next morning, Ryudo suggests they climb Grail Mountain. I'm sure this is the last place Ryudo would like to go, but, it's the place were the Horns (the idol?) was kept, and the most likely place Melfice would be.

Sure enough, he's there, and the ensuing fight is pretty tough. Before he dies, the old Melfice surfaces, giving Ryudo some viable directions to the Granasaber. However, the Horns use this opportunity to infuse itself into Ryudo. Ryudo is overwhelmed with emotion, and the Horns take control for long enough to have Ryudo take a swing at Elena. The blow falls short of it's mark, Ryudo fighting for control, and collapses.

Elena is at a loss. I mean, yes, she might still be a little shaken up that Ryudo tried to kill her, but, more than that, she hasn't the slightest clue how to help him. While unbecoming of a Songstress of Granas, she prays to Valmar. To Millenia, more specifically. Who then takes over, stares down at Ryudo, and the Horns that are infused within him. She spreads her Wings, and summons forth a ball of power, as part of her usual ritual to obtain a piece of Valmar. Yet, Millenia has a heart, and can't bring herself to consume Ryudo's soul, and take the Horns. As unlikely as the alliance might be, Milleina and Elena work together to save Ryudo.

Technically speaking, Elena currently only exists in spirit form. Summoned by Milleina, she can delve into Ryudo's soul, while Milenia distracts the Horns. There's a number of cut-scenes here, but, the plan ultimately works. The Horns still remain within Ryudo, but, it works. The spirit of Melfice relays that as long as Ryudo can resist the temptation from the Horns, they will remain dormant. An immediate after-effect is that Sky Dragon Slash can be unlocked and purchased as a technique for Ryudo. Any further after-effects will have to be seen later, if at all.

The party makes use of the Fifty-Fifty yet again. Nothing crazy happens this time, and the party reaches Ghoss Forest without incident. We cross it to Nanan Village, where Mereg hails from. He, of course, has business with the elder. The death of Melfice is certainly of note for this village, as this island was the site were the Claws had been sealed before Melfice took them. I find it somewhat strange that Melfice had not taken them onto himself, as Millenia has done with the pieces she's taken. What's up with that?

Final Fantasy 12

I figured I would start something, but had some trouble choosing exactly what. So, I fired up a program to select the game for me, and this came up.

So, the basic-run down (that takes the game several cut-scenes to tell) is that the Kingdom of Dalmasca was taken over by the Archadian Empire. There is much hubbub around the installation of the new consul, including a grand feast. Vaan, despite merely being a workhand for the provider of that feast, has an ambition to get into the capital, and sneak into the imperial treasury.

Of course, it's not so simple as it sounds. For one, I get a little side-tracked by codes. Particularly the ones that are supposed to grant all Magicks and Techincks. To make a long story short, I'm basically giving up on it until I have at least one skill in each Magick category.

In any event, Vaan is smart enough to know that knocking at the front door isn't going to get him very far. He'll need a back way. Old Dalan in Lowtown speaks of a passage sealed by magic, and sets Vann on a fetch-quest for a way to open the path.

This fetch-quest involves obtaining a Sunstone from the nomads of Giza Plains. It seems Vann's friend, Penelo, got wind of his outing, and has already set out to the camp. Of course, the nomads will not simply hand out a Sunstone. However, the party has an opportunity to turn a Shadestone into a Sunstone by using the energy absorbed by the Dark Crystals scattered about Giza Plains. See, I told you it was a fetch-quest!

With Sunstone in hand, Vaan and Penelo return to Rabanastre. While Penelo would prefer Vaan to stay out of trouble when they part ways, Vaan has other ideas. He should be able to infiltrate the castle by way of the Garmasythe Sewers. Or, so Old Dalan claims. Vaan shall soon put this rumor to the test.

Marrend
None Pizza with Left Beef: Chapter 2

I'm not 100% sure if 9/10 QWERTY parts are what I should have before contacting Thoren. However, as I cannot access any further routes (unless they are further "puzzle bullshit", which is a point of humor in the game's favor), I make an alternate save before proceeding.

I'm not sure what kind of cut-scene is going to come out of talking to Thoren, but, the game grants the player the option to skip it. Which I appreciate. Also, my gut tells me to skip it, as it might be more appreciated by those who had a more intimate knowledge of this world.

So, successfully putting QWERTY together was only possible after the scene with Thoren. I'm more than slightly relived at this revelation. XD

I'm kinda curious what happened in None Pizza with Left Beef: Chapter 1, and the game certainly leaves room open for either more here, or a future one. Good job all around from this effort!

Muscovite Arabesque

I'm not terribly familiar with Billy Elloit, of which this game takes inspiration from, so I cannot comment on how the two might compare. However, what I can say of this game is that the writing could use some touching up. The sentence structure is off in several places, and is quite noticeable.

I'll note that the game is mostly silent, with bits of music in particular places in the story. The game is short enough that it might not matter, but, I would personally like there to have some BGM a bit more often?

Fateless Two, Faithless Thee

The game does warn that the forest is contaminated, but, I wasn't exactly sure what that meant until I got smacked with a Game Over screen. On further investigation, it appears to be some kind of damage floor effect that takes off 13 damage per step. Definitely not supposed to be here yet!

There was a side-path in town I hadn't quite noticed, and taking it led me to see Victor, and his alchemy shop. Talking to him unblocked the path to the Seamstress. The event there caused an in-game day to pass, and now I'm on the hunt for some silver and a pearl.

There's a mermaid that will to trade a pearl for the Heart of the Forest, but, of course, it's in the center of the corroded forest, and I dare not enter that place again until I have better (or less expensive) mitigation against the corrosion. I have zero leads on the silver as I type this sentence.

I kinda wish I knew what these crafting items in Victor's shop do before going out to try and hunt for their reagents. Though, from my previous run in the forest, a non-zero number of these reagents can be found there.

I still have zero leads on the silver. Seems like the game wants me to find the pearl first. There's a mermaid in town that sells seaweed for 25 gold a unit, and they have a stock of 99 units. Buying out her stock can get me a pearl, or I can go and find the Heart of the Forest to exchange for it. Expense wise, buying the seaweed totals out to 2495 gold. Compare that price to a Red Potion, which is 3000. However, given that I will likely need several Red Potions in order to survive long enough to find the Heart of the Forest, the choice seems pretty clear. Though, I'm not sure how long it will take me to rack up the 2450 gold via the fishing mini-game. If there is another way to make money in this game, I haven't seen it yet.

Okay, I have 99 units of seaweed and a pearl necklace, thanks mostly to my luck at fishing. As for the silver, I'm not 100% sure. The only possibility that comes to mind is a girl with a bell at the town's entrance. I remember her saying that she'd trade the bell for something "neat". That might not have been her exact words, but, it was pretty vague. Or my memory is craptacular. XD

Still, even if that bell is what I'm looking for, I'm not entirely sure what she would want in exchange for it. For what it's worth, my gut is telling me that whatever it is, it's something you can craft with Victor. Which either means more fishing, and/or going out to the forest for a quick run to collect reagents? I suppose it might be possible that the goblin merchant has an item for sale she might want, but, that would still indicate that I would need to fish a bit more.

It is beginning to occur to me that this trade could also mean getting the Heart of the Forest. Again, I'm mostly going on my instincts that the bell the girl has is made out of silver, but, I'm not 100% certain if this is actually the case. Either way, I kinda feel like I'm at a dead end, as I'm not particularly inclined to go back to the forest without something to either get the damage-per-step down, or to ignore it completely. Does something like that even exist in this game?

Grandia 2

Mareg relays his news to the Elder, and speaks of their current search for the Granasaber. The Elder permits Mareg to continue the search, but, for now, the village is preparing a feast. Preparations for said feast involve Ryudo and Elena getting some foul-smelling moss on their boots. Well, foul-smelling for humans. For beastmen, the smell is intoxicating.

The night of the festivities, Elena sings for her hosts, as Tio tries to figure out Mareg's order of "be free". While the order is revised to "become your own master", it will still take some time to process. She's making small steps, though.

The following morning, the party makes it's way to the Great Rift. Normally off-limits to the beastfolk of Nanan, the dangers ahead are unknown. As is the precise location of the Granasaber, but, the sense is that the party is getting ever closer to the end of their journey.

The party arrives at the edge of the Great Rift, only to see that it's epicenter is engulfed in a whirlwind. It's power is so great, that they can feel it even from this distance. Elena quotes a verse, and gives reason to believe that the Holy Sword is also in the epicenter. How can they penetrate such a barrier, though? Certainly not by land.

Final Fantasy 12

There was, indeed, a path from the sewers into the basement of the royal palace. When Vaan got there, it was being used as a place for the fete's clean-up crew, with guards at the staircase that won't let anybody pass until otherwise ordered. With a small trick, and the help of a Seeq, Vaan sneaks past the guard-post. Now for the hard part. The corridors upstairs, and the guard placements, form a puzzle to solve. Vaan recalls Dalan's words from before, and sets out to distract guards, and have them move from their posts to clear a path to his goal.

Rummaging through the place, Vaan inadvertently flicks a switch, and a statue's face opens, revealing a very large and shiny stone. Now that is a treasure! A duo of thieves catch up to him after he snags it, and prefers Vaan to hand over the bauble without a fight. Though, one gets the impression that they aren't exactly slouches in the combat department. Whereas Vaan very much is. They stare at each other in a stalemate for a while before a clamor is heard. While the thieves are temporarily distracted, Vaan makes his escape.

As Vaan runs onto the battlements up top, he looks down to see that the clamor from before was the sound of sword against sword. The palace is under attack! There is an aerial bombardment from the Ifrit to back up the soldiers on defense. The two thieves catch up with Vaan, kidnap him, and try to use their hoverbike to escape. Either the hoverbike was not designed for three people, or the Ifrit is somehow jamming it's power output. Either way, the hoverbike descends, and eventually crash-lands into the Garmaythe Waterways. That must have been a hell of a hole the Ifrit made.

For the moment, the three are stuck together. To help facilitate cooperation, brief introductions are made between Vaan, Fran, and Balthier. Shortly after this is a tutorial on making Gambits. At this juncture, there's not a whole lot of options. One, because each character only has two slots to work with. Two, slots are limited to what actions/skills characters have unlocked, and the targets are limited to a few basic ones that were either unlocked since the beginning of the game, or were unlocked right now. Action possibilities expand as characters acquire more licenses, with targets expand either by way for randomly finding them in chests, or by buying them from various Gambit shops in the world. Or, you know, we can just UGE all the possible targets. I've kinda set up that code to coincide with the "have all Magicks and Teckniques" code, so, that will wait for a bit longer.

Fran and Baltheir enter the party one level ahead of Vaan. Of course, I have codes to fix that, too, and equalize everyone's experience values. I can also UGE LP, but, I won't do that quite yet, even if I'm sorely tempted to do so just to unlock more actions for Baltheir and Fran.

As they move through the sewers, they witness a pack of guards attacking a woman. She's a fair enough hand with the blade, but, Vaan gets it in his head to help her regardless. She's none too pleased that her some of her companions probably didn't make it, and even less pleased at Vaan's stolen crystal. Still, Vaan has a point in that she might be better off with them than being alone. Thus, Amalia becomes the first guest of the game.

It's very apparent that Vaan does not recognize Her Royal Highness Ashelia B'nargin Dalmasca. If one goes by the official account, she's supposed to have committed suicide. That is, of course, false. Meanwhile, Baltheir, does seem to recognize her. Or, at the very least, he has a greater inkling as to her actual identity than Vaan. The game certainly isn't fooling the player, should they have watched the FMV at the beginning of the game. Indeed, one of it's early scenes was that of Lady Ashe's marriage to Rasler Heios Nabradia.

Either way, she isn't with the others for long. There were two boss fights that delayed the party enough that allowed the imperials from behind to catch up. Not to mention that the escape route was also blocked by imperials. The party is apprehended, with "Amalia" going in one direction, and the other three thrown into Nalbina's dungeon.

According to Fran's scouting report, there is a way out, but it's barred with Magiks. An opportunity for that door to be opened comes with the arrival of an Imperial Judge. Or, perhaps, one should say a rather high-ranking general of the Archadian army. Titles aside, what reason such a person could have to visit a place like this is entirely unknown. Either way, if the party is to make an escape, it behooves them to take back their equipment. Which, funnily enough, happens soon after a cut-scene ends.

As the party follows the Archadian convoy from afar, they find themselves being led to where Captain Bosch is being stored. Now, he's also supposed to be dead according to the official report, but, this is a man both Vaan and Baltheir recognize. Vaan makes a bit of a racket, jumping on the hanging cell, and yelling about how he's the source for all of Dalmaca's problems. With the clamor bringing too much attention, Fran pulls a lever to release the cell, and it goes crashing to the ground, with Baltheir and Fran latching onto the chain as it falls. Soon enough, Basch becomes another guest.

Barhiem Passage is where the party ends up. Getting out of this place means opening gates that are operated by levers. Which, in turn, are powered by electricity. The lines are a favored snack of the mimics in this area, so, a bit of a monster hunt. There's a bit of a break room with corpses of fallen soldiers, where Bosch partakes of some armor and a blade. There's also a bit of backstory as to the happenings with Recks, and who it was that killed King Raminas. According to Basch, he has a twin brother that works for Archadia. His uncanny uncanny resemblance was used to set up the captain as the fall guy. It apparently worked, because Vaan believed the lie that Basch killed Reks.

Let me try and go through these political maneuverings that's going on here for a bit. If Archadia admitted to the slaying King Raminas, it would probably only make the tension between itself and Dalmasca worse than it already was. Not that Dalmasca had much of a chance against Archadia, but, it might benefit Archadia for Dalmasca to be an ally, even if it is one that is ill at ease, than a full-on enemy that is hell-bent on vengeance. As for the lie that Lady Ashe committed suicide, I imagine it would likely benefit Archidia a lot if she were actually dead. I don't actually know if Archaida knows if she's actually alive, or not, but, assuming they do, they must consider her a threat. Like, as long as she lives, the hope of Dalmasca, and it's independence from Archadian rule, exists.

Also, there is also the person behind these proclamations of the demise of Basch and Ashe to the greater Dalmascian people, Marquis Ondore of Bhujerba. While he's not exactly a friend to Archadia, himself, it behooves him to perform actions that put him in a good light, and maybe cause Archadia to turn a blind eye to his activities. This proclamation may have been a such concession to Archadia, even if both parties know the truth of the matter. It's about the appearance of allegiance, I guess. Anyway, on to Scene 24 back to the game. XD

At the end of the Barhiem Passage is the Mimic Queen, and a number of her brood. Felling her causes a bit of a quake, and the party makes haste to outside, avoiding being trapped narrowly. They now find themselves in the Estersands of Dalmasca, and make their way to Rabinastre. Upon arriving there, the party goes their separate ways. Basch will find the Resistance, or they will find him. Fran and Baltheir will lay low for a time, then go elsewhere. Vaan wants to show his treasure to Old Dalan, and/or Penelo. As a side-note, Penelo was present when Vaan was arrested, so, she might be none too happy with Vaan. She seems to be out of the shop today, and the proprietor is also elsewhere. So much for Vaan's "grand welcome".

Well, at least there's still Old Dalan, right? He's somewhat impressed by Vaan, and asks a favor of him: to bring a sword of the old order to a Captain Azelas. Vaan agrees, and asks for any information about Penelo he might pick up.

The place Dalan pointed Vaan to was apparently a base for the Resistance. Basch was there, trying to get it's leader, Vossler, to fight with him to free Amalia. Vossler can't entirely trust Basch, so, Basch takes the task upon himself. Vaan seems willing enough to go with him. Though, getting to Amalia might be an issue if they don't have transportation. Which is where Baltheir and Fran might come into play. Who knows if they'll agree to anything, though.
Marrend
This week, I had a visit from my brother, his wife, and their children. Didn't have too many opportunities to game. That said, my update for what little I did accomplish this week follows.

Grandia 2

Gawking at the whirlwind will get the party nowhere. Perhaps there is some underground path? Either way, the party climbs down part of the cliff-face. At the bottom lies a barren path that leads the party face-to-face with the wall of air. Ryudo makes an attempt to breach it, but, noting comes of it. Tio notices a number of slain automata strewn about. The bodies and memories may have been fragmented, but, Tio was able to get some information about a way to take down the wall.

According to the retrieved data that Tio obtained, the place is called Demon's Law. While I wouldn't call a Minotaur a demon, per say, the party had to fight one before getting access to the control center.

Final Fantasy 12

When Basch and Vaan meet Baltheir and Fran, they are already being accosted by Vaan's boss. Apparently, Penelo has been kidnapped by some thugs who have it in for Baltheir, and seem to think she's worth something to him. They're holding up in the Bhujerba mines, and the city itself is only accessible via airship.

Now, for what it's worth, Baltheir seemed to be flirting a bit with the girl, even as he was being sent off to Nalbina. So, maybe that's where they're getting the idea that she might be worth something to him. However, he's not exactly keen on dropping everything and going after the girl. Vaan changes his mind by offering his ill-gotten crystal as payment to help him get his friend back. I will note that Vaan's boss makes no commentary whatsoever about Vaan's treasure, nor has any reaction whatsoever. I largely feel this is a missed detail, but, it interests me slightly if this guy somehow already knew about the crystal. Perhaps through Old Dalan?
AtiyaTheSeeker
Final Fantasy Tactics
Meliadoul is a real bitch, but managed to kill her kunoichi and Summoners before kicking her ass. But not before having some armor broken, and Ramza spending most of the fight bleeding out on the roof. Eh, still won. Eventually I'll do more of this.

Dragon Quest 8
Also going slow with this one lately. Medea has been kidnapped (horsenapped?) at Pickham, and I'm about to do the dungeon crawl to earn her back.

Fallout 4
Killed Kellogg, and almost about to do the climactic dungeon crawl and boss fight for Automatron. Also, I did a new chapter or two of Rachel Journals Fallout 4, and posted the entries up to that point on my writing blog. Would like to get more serious with writing stories in the coming days, heheh.

Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
Considering I've been dying for it to be autumn lately (and feels like early autumn already), I've been in a mood to replay this. Had played on my PS4 when I still owned one, and got halfway through the Oriental Science Lab when I did. I'd just gotten to the warp point in the Twin Dragon Towers, and have been fussing with sidequests for now. Took me forever to grind for one (1) Curry Powder, ye gawds.

Lately I've been having fun with a "fire build" for Miriam -- a Flame Whip as her weapon, a Fire Ring to enhance magic damage, and armor pieces to boost INT to also boost magic. Shards are Riga Storæma, Flame Cannon and Augment INT, let alone the ones for familiars. Fire build!