COMMON ITEMS IN ROGUE-LIKES

Pages: 1
So, you've got a randomized weapon system, wicked skill trees, random dungeon generation, unique and fun mechanics and a cool story, but what's missing?

Items!

Consumable items, specifically. I'm working on a rogue-like dungeon crawler, and I need consumables. You can label them as potions, scrolls, food, or whatever, but what should they do? I'm looking to design a plethora of items that players can find in random dungeons, with a variety of effects that suit the type of game. Problem is, I've only got like... 12 items. And 4 of them are healing items. That's... not enough.

Here's what I've got so far:
- items that heal between 20% - 100% of HP
- items that immediately reset skill cooldowns (no MP in this game)
- an item that revives fallen allies
- items that cure various status ailments
- an item that warps you out of dungeons, or automatically escapes common battles

That's all I've got so far. So, my question to the community is, what kind of items do you like to see in Rogue-likes?

Couple notes about this system, items do have rarities, so some items can be very common and others can be extremely rare. Also, if you die in dungeons, you lose all consumable items you currently are carrying, but you can store items at your base. Item costs scale to the party level, and certain stats can as well at the time of acquiring. Would love to see what ideas you guys have, and I'll do what I can to implement them!
Red_Nova
Sir Redd of Novus: He who made Prayer of the Faithless that one time, and that was pretty dang rad! :D
I know nothing about your game, so I can't list anything specific. Instead, I'll just take a step back and be a bit more broad. Since it's a roguelike, it's importantly that each run have slight variations to keep players from getting bored. Consumable items should be designed with the intent of adding variety to the moment-to-moment gameplay so that no two runs are exactly the same.

I've been playing RE4Remake and they added an interesting system in the form of equippable charms that grant a bonus to one of the player's existing skills, such as increasing returns for crafting certain types of ammo, increased healing with either herbs, eggs, etc. You could apply that effect to your roguelike by implementing consumable items that temporarily increases capabilities of one of the skill sets of your party, such as more physical damage, more magic damage, or increased pharmacology.
My only knowledge of Roguelikes comes from the mystery dungeon series. My favorite item is the scroll that eliminates all walls on the current floor which can be a good or bad thing depending on the situation. Or a scroll that eliminates all enemies of the same type as the monster you threw it at. But then you also have things like blank scroll that lets you inscribe any scroll item... if you know the scroll name. Without a guide it's pretty interesting to have an item that promotes discovery and knowledge of the game and a lot of "If I can just have any one item what would be the perfect one for this situation"

I'm not really suggesting those specifically but rather I'm saying those make for interesting items to me. The philosophy being that items should result in very emergent play experiences rather than just a minor benefit. Like Red said idk how your game works but I would go through the list of things that can be modified in your game, like anything, and ask yourself how crazy would it be for the player to affect that. I think roguelikes often demand such methods especially if you can offset it with rarity and whatnot.
That's EXACTLY the kind of thing I'm looking for. I've never played mystery dungeon, although I've played Pokemon mystery dungeon, and those games have similar sounding mechanics. But I could definitely take some good inspiration from what those games use.

EDIT: I just realized that I contradicted myself through the ignorance of my own statement. I guess I technically HAVE played mystery dungeon. Ignore me, I'm dum
Pages: 1