[NEW]THE EVOLUTION OF RMN

Pages: 1
..::The Evolution of RMN::..
...A Journey Back...

RMN 1 SCREEN HAS BEEN ADDED

---Think of this as an early christmas present---

Have you ever wondered what RPGmaker.net looked like before you got here? Well, I sure know I did! So, I decided to look into it, and show everyone what I found. Listed below, are images of the RPGmaker.net domain between Nov.20.2000, and Oct.22.2006. Now, some of these web pages may not be displayed exactly as they are supposed to be (due to css and php errors), but they should do the trick. Onwards we go, to learn of the evolution, of RMN!

Nov.20.2000

A layout I am sure that next to none of us have seen. Having said that, I may be wrong. Clearly RMN has improved since these days. Look at all of the programs they used to support too! WOW! Also, by my guess, WIP was not yet around. He has stated quite a few times that he does not like the affiliate system (which it looks like this page uses). NEXT

May.15.2001

As it would appear, RMN was taken down for an update. How long will it take? No one knows...

Actually, I guess I do! (well, according to the web data I have, anyways...)

And no, I did not check that temporary site (I guess I should have...)

Jun.29.2001

A while later (although the time data could be wrong) and we see this! It says that the site with no frames is incomplete (and likewise, did not work when I tried it), so I used the site with frames. Here is what I got:

I would guess that this was one of the sites that displayed incorrectly. There is that blue bar at the bottom (which appears to have an RMN Crystal in it), and a lot of black space at the top. Weird, but this still gives some perspective on an older RMN.

Sep.25.2001

It would appear that RMN was now under new management (WIP?). Also, they gave some info on the tradgedy of Sept.11.

Nov.30.2001

Quite a different site layout. I actually kind of like it. Anyways, not much to explain on this one, just another one to glance at. Nice to see that we look better than that.

Mar.30.2002

Uh oh, another update. If you guys think that RMN 3 is taking too long, prepare to be surprised (Seriously) these guys had it BAD! So, here we go!

May.26.2002

OH NO! where did all the other text go!? Now all we have is a black screen!

Jul.22.2003

Yes, that's right. More than a year later, and this is the update: A white screen, and a broken image link. (I am guessing it was just not displaying properly, and that it probably said "Coming soon!" as an image)

Aug.1.2003

A little less than a month later and, OMG, what an update! The background is now black! Moving on...

Sept.29.2003

LIARS! They told us soon! Delays suck. Anyways, this one only gets better:

Nov.18.2003

AHAHAHA! SUPPORTING GW!?!?!?!? WHAT?!?!?!? Seriously though, what the hell?

Anyways, it must have been frustrating. Half a month later, and all that everyone who is waiting gets is... another line of text...

Nov.27.2003

...I'm not sure what happened here... Moving on:

Dec.17.2003

Wow, ANOTHER LINE OF TEXT! On the up side, at least there was now a way for users to get involved, as well as hope that the site was, in fact, coming.

Feb.7.2004

Yup, you guessed it. More text, but now with a link to the misaos. By the way, back then, the misaos looked like this:

Neat, huh?

Apr.4.2004

My birthday! Not only my birthday, but the best one ever! (it was 04,04,04)
Anyways, looks like the forums were acessable at least.

May.8.2004

Lol, wow, still being worked on. I wonder how many people just gave up on it ever coming back. Seriously, if you ever do this to us WIP... I swear to god!

Aug.25.2004

Well, clearly they are coming! It's not much, but at least people can have a ray of hope to look at... for now, because:

Sep.2.2004

GOD DAMNIT! Everything they had just seen, was now gone. Hopes and dreams, crushed. There go another 50 or so users.

Sep.20.2004

If that last one didn't make people leave, this probably would have. Back to the old black screen. I sure hope that the image worked back then...

Nov.22.2004

...Come back later??? HOW MUCH LATER! I hope the point is getting through to everyone that the wait for RMN 3 really isn't THAT BAD!

Jan.11.2005

Well, at least there is a nice "Coming soon" image...

Mar.5.2005

Oh, but it's gone now...

Nov.8.2005

Yay, now we have a nice blue link that says coming soon. It takes us to the forums (I would post a picture, but I KNOW that the forums don't display properly. All you need to know was that it was still Simple Machine forums.)

Jan.26.2006

YES! A nice coming soon image, with a logo and everything! This is good news, and is also the last screen I am going to show!

It wasn't long after that RMN V1 was released, and the site began to bloom. I would post some images of it, but the site isn't displaying quite right. I know, however, that WIP could post them (there are some in his images folder :))

Anyways, I hope some of you enjoy this little article. It took way to long to make. Also, I hope it shows that the wait for RMN3 has been, well, rather miniscule.

One last thing. Please remember that this was all through research. I have no real evidance that all of these dates are exact, and it is quite possible that things could have ocurred in between the following dates. Also, remember that some images may look different than the site did at the time.

RMN v1 SCREEN:

I seem to remember a lot of people asking what RMN1 looked like, and I really wanted to post a screen of it. However, none of the screenshots I could find were displaying quite right. However, I found one that was, and felt it necessary to add to this list. Thus: RMN V1:

Yes, it's in a higher resolution. Get used to it, the site wouldn't even fit in my browser at 800X600 (which is what all of the other screens ar at).
wow it sure went through a lot. Nice images myers.
Well thankyou. It's good to see that this topic wasn't a total waste of time.
WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
Well now! This is pretty interesting that you dug all this up, so I feel I should disclose some information.

The current staff was not involved with anything before 2003. Previous to that, Rast was the owner of the domain. Those first screenshots were when Rast controlled the site, as well as Linguar (who is a member here currently) and Janus/Kael/Hiretsukan.

The server bills got too high for them to afford and they had to take the site down. Rast maintained control of the domain and temporarily gave Bart of GW control of it. That explains the GW 3.0 code screenshot.

Holbert purchased the domain from Rast in 2003, I believe. I don't remember the exact date. Once then, we stewed upon different implementations (that PostNuke is one of them).

Those other logos were some designs that we had and I do have some screenshots that involve them.

For a bit more trivia, I began actually working on "RMN v1" in January of 2007. It took me until June to get it ready and it launched the second or so day of June.

RMN v2 began work in October of 2007. Two months later, it launched with the Misaos (on time that year).

I began working on RMN3 probably around April or May of this year. I began to scope out features and such. Blind was nice enough to start hyping it around this time for a June release. YDS created an initial layout design, which I pillaged and raped into the current RMN3 layout.
I remember RPGmaker.net redirected to Gaming World. Probably about the time when there was only that nonexistant image on there.

I remember there being a lot of schism when RMnet went down. And I can't believe it's been that long. Although I guess it kinda have to have been that long since I can't remember anything anymore. Except the initial excitement of playing around with rm2k the first time. (I remember submitting my demo to the RMnet downloads just days before it went down for maintenance. I don't think I've really submitted a whole lot of game content anywhere since then :)
wow seems like the site has gone through a lot to become what it is today.
Tau
RMN sex symbol
Those are some kick ass "coming soon" sites.
author=Shinan link=topic=2756.msg51818#msg51818 date=1229938326
I remember RPGmaker.net redirected to Gaming World. Probably about the time when there was only that nonexistant image on there.

Oh, so it actually did do that...

I could have posted an image, but I thought it might have just been a glitch...

Also, thankyou for filling everyone in, WIP.
...were there ever any Ankylo coded pages?
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
This is an amazing topic and I read the whole thing.

That's all I really have to say...FOR NOW.
WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
author=myersguy link=topic=2756.msg52230#msg52230 date=1230093975
...were there ever any Ankylo coded pages?
I believe he did some stuff a few years back, but I do not recall exactly what.
Oh, really? Well if I knew what I could look for it.

author=Max McGee link=topic=2756.msg52249#msg52249 date=1230100178
This is an amazing topic and I read the whole thing.

That's all I really have to say...FOR NOW.

Haha, thankyou. I just read over it again, and decided this to be my favorite part:

Jan.11.2005
Well, at least there is a nice "Coming soon" image...

Mar.5.2005

Oh, but it's gone now...
RMN V1 screen was added. And I'm sorry ankylo, but I couldn't find anything around postnuke that wasn't already on the list :'(
WIP
http://www.definedbywords.com/images/rmn/layout.jpg

Oh man I remember this layout. What the hell was I thinking.
haha nice screen myers. I remember that was the same day i released Demon Destiny 1 to RMN.
:-X Ew WIP, that is gross.:-X

Actually, a couple of those layouts are pretty cool, specifically this one:

http://www.definedbywords.com/images/rmn/RMNETV2.PNG

Everything looks a little squished for me though. Maybe since I run a widescreen resolution?
Ciel
an aristocrat of rpgmaker culture
author=myersguy link=topic=2756.msg51787#msg51787 date=1229925429
Nov.18.2003

AHAHAHA! SUPPORTING GW!?!?!?!? WHAT?!?!?!? Seriously though, what the hell?

GW was still pretty cool in 2003. :(
Pages: 1