REN'PY LESSON PLAN (TEACHING CHILDREN PROGRAMMING)

Pages: 1
SunflowerGames
The most beautiful user on RMN!

I work at an ESL school in Taiwan. Every Wednesday, they have a specialty class. ie. science, cooking, knitting, yoga, boxing... The students choose one of these courses and learn it for 1 hour.

Last semester, I taught the students how to use RPG Maker VX Ace. This was actually very popular and the children liked it. I started off with mapping, then character creation, then made treasure chests and switches.

I want to note, the school doesn't have a lab. I use my personal computer and a projector. So every student would take a turn using my personal computer to do some work within this one hour. This presented some issues with behavior sometimes, as the other students would have to wait a while for their turn.

The same students will be returning this semester, so I don't think I can really teach them much more with RPG Maker VX Ace, that would be simple enough for a child to learn, especially for non-native English speakers.

I decided to teach Ren'Py this semester. I made a whole lesson plan, where the students can pre-write some stuff on paper, prior to using the computer. This is part of my attempt to break up my class into different parts.

Anyways, here's the lessons I came up with, if there's any suggestions.

https://rpgmaker.net/users/SunflowerGames/locker/RenpyLessons.docx

Teaching Ren'Py programming to students is a great idea. They'll sure love it !

Having a single computer to share can be quite frustrating for the students and for you the teacher. But Ren'Py has some solid advantages over other engines: it's free, open source, runs on many OS such as Linux and has low system resource requirements. Some Linux distributions like Lubunutu and antiX are also free, open source and have low system resource requirements. A 10 to 15 years old computer running Linux can provide a smooth Ren'Py experience. So, old computers deemed too old for school administration or donated by the parents can be repurposed for teaching Ren'Py. As long as you can boot the computer from a USB flash drive prepared with Rufus and the Linux ISO file, you can install Lubuntu or antiX and you'll be able to use them to run Ren'Py.
Pages: 1