BEST DS GAMES

Pages: first prev 123 next last
Well, they are remakes of the 20 year old games. I wouldn't expect them to significantly change the gameplay. If they were going to do that, they'd just make a brand new game.

I'm as tired of remakes as the next guy, but I can't fault a remake for being very similar to the original.
author=nickad link=topic=2807.msg53583#msg53583 date=1230894827
author=Ciel link=topic=2807.msg53569#msg53569 date=1230879684
SHIREN THE WANDERER #1 BEST GAME
I've seen that game around! It looks like a dungeon crawler with cool graphics.

As for what games I think are the 'best DS games', I'd have to say NONE. I hate the DS.
That's a pretty difficult statement to make considering the DS has a HUUUUUGE library.
Also if we're counting unreleased games, Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon. It's already out in Japan and Europe, and set for 02/16/09 in North America.
Ummm... It's kind of dumb to remake a game and change the gameplay from what is was. After all, when I buy the port of a game, I want to play that game, how it originaly was, maybe with better graphics. Well, I think this because I didn't grow up with the NES or the Super Nintendo. So when I play the port to a NES or a Super game, I want it to feel like I'm actually playing the game how it was on its original console. I don't want the difficulty to be lightened up or even made harder, either.

I also really enjoyed FF3 DS, and I'm playing through Chrono Trigger DS now.
Not to mention, in the case of FF3, DQ5, and DQ6, we never got to play those games legally outside of Japan before their DS incarnations.
author=nickad link=topic=2807.msg53583#msg53583 date=1230894827
author=Ciel link=topic=2807.msg53569#msg53569 date=1230879684
SHIREN THE WANDERER #1 BEST GAME
I've seen that game around! It looks like a dungeon crawler with cool graphics.

As for what games I think are the 'best DS games', I'd have to say NONE. I hate the DS.

I can't belive you find no games on the DS that you like. If you haven't played the latest fire emblem game you should. One of the best games i've seen for the DS.
I actually didn't like the new FE game that much. Not as much as the the GBA ones. There was something... unfun about it (to me, anyway).

I thought Harvest Moon DS was alright, as well as the ones already mentioned. Also Mah Jongg DS and Bleach BOF+Other one (like fighting against CPU only).

There are also a ton of RPGs on the DS, especially compared to the other systems out there and a lot more coming up.

http://www.rpgamer.com/games/upcoming.html
^ This is a list of RPGs (only) that will be coming out for DS this/next year.
The World Ends With You is aesthetically way over the top and far from perfect, but it's also probably the best JRPG for any handheld system right now and is incredibly awesome. Etrian Odyssey II is very sadistic but also very well-designed.

If you like bullet-hell shooters, you also might like Bangai-O Spirits. It's ridiculously hard, but it has an extremely solid combat system and the Tim Rodgers Seal of Approval. It was also designed by Treasure and is arguably their best game.
No one has mentioned Guitar Hero. Biddly-dyr.
My list:

42 All-Time Classics
Advance Wars: Days of Ruin
Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney
Dragon Ball: Origins
Dragon Quest: Chapters of the Chosen
FIFA 09
Final Fantasy IV
Kirby Super Star Ultra
Mario Kart DS
New Super Mario Bros.
Phoenix Wright 1 to 3
Theresia: Dear Emile

I know you have some of these already but for those that aren't, they're worth a look.

<3 DS.
What about Yoshi Island DS? Was that a brand new game or a remake of the SNES game? The SNES game was gold, either way.
It was a sequel. Great game, but not as good as the first.
Has nobody mentioned Zelda: Phantom Hourglass? I thought it kicked ass! It's kind of easy for a zelda game, but very fun.
Pokemon Diamond and Pearl. Some of the best pokemon games you'll play.
Ciel
an aristocrat of rpgmaker culture
If Pokemon, a game about battling, actually updated its interface so that you could do battles without waiting 30 seconds each time for slow text and flashing animations (even on the fastest options) I think I might really enjoy it. Unfortunately it is incredibly tedious to play so I haven't been able to play one through since 1995 or whatever.
Pokemon games need to adopt a real-time engine, even if its still menu based.

I know more games that I hate for DS than I actually like, but to name a few that really hit home:

Rune Factory 1 and 2
Lock's Quest
any of the Advanced Wars
Legacy of Ys: Books I & II
Mega Man ZX / Advent
Castlevania Order of Ecclesia
Lego Star Wars the Complete Saga
Final Fantasy 4DS

Games to Avoid:
From the Abyss
Heroes/Children of Mana
Anything based off a movie (excluding Lego Star Wars)
Anything ported from another system
Pokemon
Anything by UbiSoft that starts with "Imagine:"
Pretty much anything that isn't instantly recognizable or recommended by a reputable gamer.

Speaking of which, Lock's Quest is actually really good. Play it.
So I'm playing through New Super Mario Bros, and, while the game is okay, I really hate the movement physics. I didn't like back in 1986, either.
I might give TWEWY a try, but I'm reluctant to fund Square's preteen-angst-milking campaign.
author=TooManyToasters link=topic=2807.msg54229#msg54229 date=1231261320
I might give TWEWY a try, but I'm reluctant to fund Square's preteen-angst-milking campaign.

The difference between Neku's preteen angst and the preteen angst of most Final Fantasy protaganists is that Neku is actually a preteen. Or a teenager, actually.

Besides, the game isn't as much about Neku's angst as it is about skewering the tropes of Japanese RPGs and attempting to summarize the joys and tradgedies of contemporary adolescence in a video game. It isn't as mature as the Persona games but it is surprisingly relevant for a Square-Enix JRPG.

What is particularily telling is that Neku gets over his angst not because the plot demands it but because after about twenty hours of gameplay he comes to realize that everybody else in the world is exactly as screwed up as he is. That's intellegent character development for you.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
Yeah, I really have to applaud TWEWY. Not only did I sit down and BEAT IT within a week of purchasing the game--this is extraordinarily rare, as normally I take a year to beat games--the characters are really good and engaging. It's worth it for the story alone.

It is also a fabulous way to simulate shopping. I mean, it's totally ridiculous (UNLOCK HIDDEN POWERS IN YOUR CLOTHING BY SPENDING ALL YOUR MONEY IN STORES) but seriously. Seriously. Not only is the grinding (which is totally unnecessary) fun because of the constantly evolving (literally) battle mechanics, the payoff in yen/cash pins builds up your relations with different stores.

There is nothing quite like buying massive amounts of teddy bears just to build up a reputation...

Also, some of the scenes (which are in an animated comicbook style... simple anime, I guess) are awesome.

Squish.
Pages: first prev 123 next last