BUGS

Pages: 1
Ok, so you release a demo of your game (or god forbid the complete version) only to find out too late that there is a game ending bug, forcing you to try to quickly release a new version correcting this problem before people actually download it only to find out that there is yet another game ending bug later on and blah blah blah next time I'm getting beta testers

basically this is happening to me, I have been forced to release 3 new versions in 2 days due to game ending bugs and am wondering if anyone has had worse luck in the game ending bug department then me

the good news is I really think 1.4 is bug free, but I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that it is and I won't have to re upload for a good long while

so...anyone out there that can beat 3 new versions in 2 days? or do I have to take the crown for buggiest game designer?
If you think you're having problems with bugs in something like VX, you should try making a game's engine from scratch in Java, Python, Binary (Ha-ha funny), etc.

That said though, I make sure that our actual public releases are stable without any sort of bug that severely limits play of the game.
I think its a result of it being my first game in VX and also that I'm putting in alot of complex events and switches

not a good combination if you don;t want to do alot of debugging
NoblemanNick
I'm bringing this world back for you and for me.
To me you've taken the cake. By game ending bugs suck alot, most of the bugs however usually seem to be something right in front of your face that you always just seem to pass over.
dragonheartman
Developer, Starless Umbra / Heroes of Umbra
It just gets harder as you add more maps. The only real remedy is to play through the game on your own (or have some beta testers do it), but it gets to the point where it's too much to play through the game. Then you start getting sick of your intro and redoing it, adding new features, bringing in more bugs, etc. ;)
author=dragonheartman link=topic=3007.msg59342#msg59342 date=1233271480
Then you start getting sick of your intro and redoing it, adding new features, bringing in more bugs, etc. ;)

This is exactly right! I'm so worried about bugs and polish that I play test way too much, even when I've only added a few things just to make sure it all runs smoothly.

I start to find my game boring and re-do it. I get trapped.
This is exactly right! I'm so worried about bugs and polish that I play test way too much, even when I've only added a few things just to make sure it all runs smoothly.

This is 60% of the reason why people never get their games done (I pulled that statistic out of my ass, but still). Lately I've been finding myself working on entire maps and several events and simply checking them through instead of clicking test play to watch it fail before me. From this, I've been getting more progress lately. (Also worry about your introductions later)
I have had to endure 2 years of developing a game, scrapping it, starting a new game, scrapping it, and finally coming up with the game I have.

I have found more bugs in my game than symbols in the chinese language!
(No offense to anyone)

It's natural to find something wrong in games. Beta testers are there to primarilly find those bugs. If they don't, then they are bad testers.(My testers, who the game is based on, took 3 months to get 30min. in the game!)

In my demo game, I played through it several times, only to find that over 20+ switches weren't even used at all!

Especially if you are working alone or with a few others, it gets hard to have to do everything to make sure the game is bug-free.
Well...I find that bugs are quite a huge issue for most people when the game ends up getting released. A lot of people think that the author was just plain lazy or just wasn't good enough to clean up the bugs, and it's fine depending on what it is. For example, let's take my game! If I open up the menu and go to the mortgage setting, and my character suddenly stops blinking...that should be a error, but most of the time this doesn't happen, so this is a bug that really doesn't do too much harm. So this is fine. Crazy bugs that I do get annoyed is when things don't work or won't allow me to progress through the game, then I go bananas.

When I go bug hunting, I will try every single possible way imaginable to make sure it's working and up to speed. Like, I'll hit every single key on my keyboard to make sure no CMS's open when a scene starts, double check chests to see if you can reopen them, and well...to test it to hell and back! And sometimes there is the odd one that gets past you, well no biggie, nothing can be perfect. My only real advice on bugs is to keep testing it, over and over and over again! Until you agree it's fine enough to move on. And before you release your game, make sure to give yourself a extra week or two to see if there are anymore nasty bugs around. :P
Pages: 1