FINAL FANTASY IV DS EDITION

Pages: first 12 next last
I've just completed the remade edition of Final Fantasy IV (II when I first encountered it on the SNES!) and have to admit that I LOVED every second of it, from start to finish. The addition of new cutscenes and voice acting to the already strong plot of the game gives it the cinematic feel it always implied through its 2D sprites, and the small additions to the gameplay and battle system made it a cracking treat to grind. It may be the first time I've had level 99 characters in a game before the final dungeon! Does anybody else think that this is the best remake they've ever seen?
I've actually stopped playing because I'm stuck at a boss I can't beat, which is the dark elf, you know, the one immune to metal weapons.

Do you have any tips for defeating him?
I haven't played the remake yet. Been thinking of picking it up... but right now I own only 2 DS games: DQIV and Chrono Trigger. Both remakes.

It'd seem...wrong somehow...to have only 3 games and ALL of them remakes.
author=Mitsuhide_The_Vagrant link=topic=3078.msg60302#msg60302 date=1233674671
I've actually stopped playing because I'm stuck at a boss I can't beat, which is the dark elf, you know, the one immune to metal weapons.

Do you have any tips for defeating him?

You need to find Edward at Troia before entering the metal cave.

Also use support magic!!
unequip all metal items (test which ones do and don't work in the entryway) and concentrate on healing powers as well as strong magical attacks/items. Once you reach a certain point Edward will come to your aid and you'll be able to re-equip your gear and pummel him!
Also note that Protect/Shell can target the entire party. This should be Cecil's first action.

I reached the end game and quit. The end game isn't hard at all (every enemy in the Lunar Core can be shut down) except the fights take forever because of rediculous HP amounts/ineffective counter attacks. I just don't care enough to go through it all again.

Also whoever decided that NG+ should be limited and the stupid way you get augments needs to be shot.
For the SNES version, you could use weak on the Dark Elf so that he only took two hits. Did they change that in later versions?
DE
*click to edit*
You must use slow on each and every boss, otherwise they're virtually undefeatable.

Protect/Shell/Haste on party is also mandatory.
DE
*click to edit*
Have you beaten the game or are you just making assumptions?

Anyway, why spend time grinding when you can just cast the spells I listed? Unless turning your brain off during gaming and mashing buttons mindlessly is your definition of entertainment...
author=Fallen-Griever link=topic=3078.msg60493#msg60493 date=1233757754
author=DE link=topic=3078.msg60484#msg60484 date=1233750694
You must use slow on each and every boss, otherwise they're virtually undefeatable.

Protect/Shell/Haste on party is also mandatory.

I think you just need to grind more, because it sounds like your stats aren't high enough if you're needing to boost them like that.
Strategy > grinding.
I've been thinking of getting the remakes lately, as I've had a craving for playing old games...
This is the only Final Fantasy game I've managed to complete. xD

I liked the graphics a lot but the battles were ridiculously difficult but possible as I learnt as I got used to the system.
author=TooManyToasters link=topic=3078.msg60496#msg60496 date=1233758916
Strategy > grinding.

Also ignoring Fu So Ya. "Want to die on this boss? Do this!"
I just went and beat Rubicante for the first time. Yeah...let's just say that I found him ALOT harder than his PS/SNES/GBA counterpart(s). Still, he wasn't TOO hard, and the only time I really had to look out was when he was going for his Inferno attack. I forgot that Edge's "Steal" command got him to close his cloak, so yeah. <_<
I really enjoyed it. I broke down and used a FAQ for augments, because as has already been pointed out, the way they were handled wasn't very well explained in-game. But it really helped the game, I think, because the augments ended up really adding to the game's depth. They do sort of make New Game +'s incredibly easy (giving Cecil Counter, Draw Attacks, and Kick, and setting Kick as his counter-action means EVERYTHING DIES. FOREVER.), but New Game +'s are SUPPOSED to be cakewalks most of the time, so that's no big loss.

I really liked FF4 DS. A lot more than FF3 DS, which I still enjoyed quite a bit. I'm sort of pumped to see what they do with FF5 and 6, if they ever get around to them....but I hear they're doing one of the SaGa games next, instead, so whatever.
Ciel
an aristocrat of rpgmaker culture
author=Shadowtext link=topic=3078.msg60981#msg60981 date=1234071989
I really liked FF4 DS. A lot more than FF3 DS, which I still enjoyed quite a bit. I'm sort of pumped to see what they do with FF5 and 6, if they ever get around to them....but I hear they're doing one of the SaGa games next, instead, so whatever.

I really hope FF6 won't be on DS. It should either be left alone forever or remade for like, PS3 or something. :'(
Pages: first 12 next last