DS GAMES!

Pages: 1
Ah yes, Nintendo handhelds.

For all of you out there who own DS's, what are your favorite games? What games would you recommend? Are you looking forward to any new games? Please, do discuss. I need more games for my DS, but any time I browse games in a store, I just decide they all look too bland. I really, really need help deciding on some new ones, especially since I will be going on a band trip by bus to California pretty quick. I WILL NEED SOME PORTABLE GAMING!

So in the great words of Counter-Terrorist #1575:

GO GO GO!
I've tried quite a few DS games, so here's a brief run down on a few of them.

Bleach 1/2: Basically a fighting game with an extra story mode option (I just like beating the hell out of others. ^_^) Not too bad but it was hard for me to understand how to do some of the better moves, or what some directions meant. Still - an okay anime beat'em up.

Professor Layton and the Curious Village: Not a bad puzzle game that is filled with, well, puzzles and focuses on a mystery. Better than a lot of the other puzzle/mystery games out there (Yes, I'm looking at you Nancy Drew).

Dynasty Warriors DS: Another fighting game that is okay. Has a bit of strategy play but not as good as the 'real' games (as my DW-obsessed cousins puts it). Game play is... okay.

Pokemon Pearl/Diamond: Do I really need to go here? They're PokeMon games. Pure. Simple.

Phoenix Wright/Apollo Justice series: Pretty good and quite fun to play. Requires a brain to use. Easy to get the hang of game-play wise and pretty awesome (and scary) characters.

Harvest Moon: Island of Happiness
: The latest in farming sims. Fun to play if you don't mind repeating things over and over and over. A bit awkward with the game play but still, an okay game.

Luminous Arc 1/2: 1 - Strategy RPG with an okay storyline and characters. Decent graphics but missing something. Not bad, but not great either.
2 - Like the original it's okay. Slightly better (imo). About the same par graphics wise but with a few tweaks to game play that make it more fun.

Fire Emblem DS: Okay. Not as good as the GBA versions but still good. Enjoyable with more customisation character-wise. Graphics are 'better' and not so anime-ish. Strategy RPG. Worth getting.

Etrian Odessey 1/2: Yeah. If you like to dungeon crawl and get your characters beaten to bloody pieces, this is the game for you. There's a lot of killing to be done and many floors to do it on. Graphics are pretty good and the game play is pretty simple (though when I first started I thought you got to draw the dungeon you explored - as in create it yourself).

MahJongg DS
: This game is fun.

Remakes:
FF4 - Not bad. 3D with classic FF4 storyline. An addition here and there, but if you've played the original you know what it's like.
FF3 - It's a bit different from what I thought it would be but has all the classic FF references and what-not. Kind of fun to play (imo).
DQ4 - Pretty good character-wise and can be fun if you like a bit of grinding in your RPGs. Pretty decent game.
CT - If you've played it once... Just a 'better' localisation (though I prefer the original script a bit more) and a few extra challenges. Same graphics and music and worth getting anyway - especially if you've never played it before.

That should do for now.
New Super Mario Bros - I've wanted another 2D Mario platformer since Super Mario World, and this just ticked all the boxes for me.

Sonic Rush/ Sonic Rush Adventure - While the series has it's flaws, it's great to see that the blue hedgehog can still pull a fun game out of the blue (no pun intended), and it's better than the Advance series in my opinion.

Pokemon Diamond/ Pearl - Far more engaging than Ruby and Saphire (which I couldn't complete, due to boredom), this installment in the series has something the previous 'generation' lacked which just makes it feel right.

Pheonix Wright - Suprisingly funny and enjoyable! It's got a good reputation for a reason.

Final Fantasy III/ IV - Better translations of old classics in full 3D. What can go wrong?

Jump Ultimate Stars - Most of my favourite anime characters smashing each other to pieces in the closest thing the DS will ever get to Smash Bros.

Mario Kart DS - If it weren't for the arcade cabinet with the responsive steering wheel that lcosk up when you get attacked, the DS game would be my favourite Mario Kart (Mario Kart 64 taking third place), and you can play it anywhere!

The World Ends With You - Everyone here already knows enough about this game.

Looking forward to

Chrono Trigger - I'll have it by the end of today

GTA: Chinatown Wars - Be interesting to see if it works well

Pokemon Platinum - Fuck. Yes.
I only own Chrono Trigger and Dragon Quest IV. Chrono Trigger is almost identical to the SNES version, but that's okay, because CT is the greatest game ever created.

DQIV is okay. I like it because I loved DWIV on the NES, but I am HATING the translation. "Wee bairns" my ass.
My favorite DS original game is
Dragon Quest Monsters: Joker.

My favorite non-original DS games are
Final Fantasy IV
Dragon Quest IV

So I would recommend those.

You guys recommend so many games and like half of them aren't even out yet. A huge list is not helpful at all!!

author=kentona link=topic=3139.msg61618#msg61618 date=1234538602
DQIV is okay. I like it because I loved DWIV on the NES, but I am HATING the translation. "Wee bairns" my ass.

Each region in the game has a regional dialect. I think it is supposed to be intentionally campy. The original was unintentionally campy.
I wouldn't even consider Pokemon Diamon/Pearl at this point. Platinum is coming out in a month or so which is better in pretty much every way.
There was a previous topic on this I seem to recall.

There I recommended:
Meteos (Awesome puzzler)
Elite Beat Agents (Awesome rythm game)
Professor Layton and the Curious Village (Awesome puzzler)
New Super Mario Bros (Mario)

Three of these I got when I bought my DS and I didn't really feel a need to get anything else for the longest of time (until I got Curious Village)
Well I'll be damned! I must have missed it.
The World Ends With You probably would have been last year's best JRPG if Atlus didn't release Persona 4. As it stands, though, I like The World Ends With You a little better if only because it's so offbeat and doesn't require as much of a time commitment.

Also, Pokemon Diamond and Pearl is much better than Ruby and Sapphire and Etrian Odyssey II has an incredibly slick interface and an unusual high IQ for a dungeon crawler.
No one's mentioned Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin yet?
Dragon Quest V - I've been playing it today and it's pretty good.
author=lolzallen link=topic=3139.msg62773#msg62773 date=1235185899
OoE is great, but I fucking loved PoR. The character-changing system was pulled off pretty well. Even if you could do pretty much the whole game as Jonathan, Charlotte was fun to use.
The soundtrack was pretty amazing too.
author=TooManyToasters link=topic=3139.msg62880#msg62880 date=1235270452
OoE is great, but I fucking loved PoR. The character-changing system was pulled off pretty well. Even if you could do pretty much the whole game as Jonathan, Charlotte was fun to use.

Same, imo PoR is the best castlevania after SotN.
Ciel
an aristocrat of rpgmaker culture
author=lolzallen link=topic=3139.msg62898#msg62898 date=1235277235
author=TooManyToasters link=topic=3139.msg62880#msg62880 date=1235270452

Same, imo PoR is the best castlevania after SotN.

No, that's AoS. PoR is a design disaster. ^^;
Pages: 1