INSPIRATION AND WORK ETHIC

I find that the more games you've completed, the easier it is to complete games. So if you want to finish your game, go finish some other games first. To put it in a way that actually makes sense, try making a simpler game first just to prove to yourself you can.

Personally, it's really easy to get consistent work done if you actually set aside an hour each day. Mornings or nights are usually the most productive time, because you've either haven't started the days errands, or already finished them. And don't be upset if you have something more important going on in your life than RPGMAKER and miss a day. Eventually, working on your game just becomes a part of the daily routine. Unless your too cool for schedules and live everyday like your own rpg adventure.
post=86685
Unless your too cool for schedules and live everyday like your own rpg adventure.

This sounds more like my approach, except with more crying and sandwiches.
post=86561
Another thing is, if you have to have a talent...writing is a pretty crap one to have. It is better to be able to make your own graphics or music than to write superlatively well, since everyone can write to SOME degree and writing is much easier to train to competency than graphics creation or music creation. Hopefully it's clear how this is related to the topic.

Definately true, not to make you feel worse Max. Yes, writing is not an optional skill to have as it is a very commutative skill. But I think way too many people try too hard on their writing that it completely falls flat. It's very hard to sit with making very simple dialogue and going with a small good story, than try and make the next LOTR.
post=87495
post=86561
Another thing is, if you have to have a talent...writing is a pretty crap one to have. It is better to be able to make your own graphics or music than to write superlatively well, since everyone can write to SOME degree and writing is much easier to train to competency than graphics creation or music creation. Hopefully it's clear how this is related to the topic.
Definately true, not to make you feel worse Max. Yes, writing is not an optional skill to have as it is a very commutative skill. But I think way too many people try too hard on their writing that it completely falls flat. It's very hard to sit with making very simple dialogue and going with a small good story, than try and make the next LOTR.

Hi Blindmind.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
So for most of 2009, in addition to my job, I have set daily goals for creative productivity.

Basically, Tuesday and Friday each mean 2+ hours of prose writing, Thursdays are 2+ hours of RPG Maker, and Mondays and Wednesdays are free creative, meaning, any of the above, or anything else I'm fascinated with (tabletop game design, for instance, or just working on the various tabletop campaigns I'm running. (Recently I switched it up to Monday and Friday free, and Tuesday Prose, Wednesday P&P Game Design, Thursday RPG Maker, but that's neither here nor there.) Keep in mind I also have 6+ hours of very non-creative work to do every today for my job, including weekends, so if I can get in, say, four hours a week on RPG Maker, that's nothing to sneeze at.

Now I've done a pretty good job of meeting these weekly goals- especially with prose writing, which is usually something I do far too sporadically, and utterly fail to do regularly, so writing every week is a huge improvement- except for Thursday RPG Making, which has been pretty touch and go. That is really weird, because usually I get so caught up in RPG Maker, I forget to do any of my other stuff, but now it's like I almost have to force myself (with spotty success). Why do we think that is, children?
post=87495
post=86561

Ouch! Why is this so true?!
Also Darken, stop reading my mind
I find it best to take inspiration from many unexpected places or things. A song, a movie, something sitting around the room you're in; you'd be amazed at what you can come up with when you just sit and observe or listen.

I've had entire scenes play out in my mind from looking at a simple object.

It's hard to explain, but I'll give it a shot.

Let's say you want to create a new character, but you have no idea where to start. Usually, what I'll do first is look around. Maybe something I'm looking at can help me with a name. It can be anything. A phone base, a street sign, something I wrote down on a piece of paper for something completely unrelated to the game.

Once you have a name, you can begin to imagine a character based around the name. Their gender, attitude, morals, goals, looks, etc. and so on. Now you're making progress. Soon enough, you'll be imagining the things that this character will accomplish in your games, thus creating scenes.

I have literally done this with over 20 characters in projects I've worked on. My favorite part about game making is how simple it can be. I love to make things up as I go along, rather than have a giant blueprint worked out from the start.

It helps to have an idea of what you want to do, but the "love" in the "labor of love" part comes out when you can just sit back and enjoy watching your brain do it's thing.
One bit of advice:

If you have a sudden idea or inspiration write it down. You might forget it otherwise and kick yourself for forgetting it.

...or you might read it again sometime later and realize that it was actually a pretty crummy idea. Either way, write down your ideas somewhere.
Gibmaker
I hate RPG Maker because of what it has done to me
post=86639
I technically started my game in QBasic in the mid-90s

OH HOLY CRAP QBASIC. I REMEMBER GRADE 7.

Dark Gaia & Relyt on page 2: Y thank u. :3 Just reading that was actually inspiring to work on stuff.
post=88141
One bit of advice:

If you have a sudden idea or inspiration write it down. You might forget it otherwise and kick yourself for forgetting it.

...or you might read it again sometime later and realize that it was actually a pretty crummy idea. Either way, write down your ideas somewhere.

even if they aren't sudden. Write EVERY idea down, briefly or otherwise. Writing things down helps your brain solidify the idea, allowing you to expand upon it further than before. You may not think so, but just writing things down helps A LOT.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
I am really struggling with this lately. Of course, in addition to work and life I need to share my limited pool of inspiration and willpower with my prose writing, my pen and paper and live action game design, and the ongoing shadowrun campaign I'm running. So, the RPG Making has really been suffering lately. I would say I've accumulated more incomplete (being optimistic to not call them abandoned or failed) in the last one year than I did in my entire RPG Making career before then.

The problem for me is never in starting a project, it's in having the focus or discipline to stick with it without starting something new.
I've finished many games in the past, but none were ever released ( most are stuck on a different comp and will die there). Don't get me wrong, some were great! But I'll only release a masterpiece. Anyway, I also have many unfinished games, many of which I'll never return to ( even though I still think some of them are great too). Here are a few things I've noticed in completing games vs not completing them:

1) PLOT AHEAD!
and make it good! Make sure you know your characters through and through so that you can anticipate huge plot twists later on. I find when you have these devices in place, you are more eager to make certain points in the game.

2) FIND A FOCUS POINT
What do you like most about RPGs? Is it the story? The battles? Find something that you really like the most, or at least something you think you're the best at like map design or dialogue, then focus all your attention on the point you've chosen. The rest of the elements will eventually fall into place, but you need to set your focus so that you are more likely to WANT to keep making your game. For example, let's say you love map making. Do a lot of this, and I Mean A LOT! Take little breaks in between to focus on other things. You don't want to save them all for last, so just even out your time. Your game may not end up being an all around perfect creation, but in the end, you'll have a finished product that people will remember for the map design (in such a case).

3) DON'T GET TOO TECHNICAL
A POWER UNLEASHED is a project I had that was very ambitious. It was essentially one of those RM2K movie games with minigames in between acts. It is freaking awesome to watch, has some of the best fight scenes ever. IT WILL NEVER BE FINISHED. I challenged myself in every way I could to make the minigames as original as possible, motorcycle chases and whatnot. It's just too complicated to get to work the way you want, and it requires more time testing the thing than it does actually programming. Not a fun deal.

4) STICK WITH YOUR ORIGINAL IDEAS
It's okay to make plot changes and such, and to polish different areas of the game. Thsi is fine. But don't bite off more than you can chew, to use an old phrase. My Sonic The Hedgehog RPG is a good example of this problem. It was essentially programmed as a regular oldschool sonic game, platform gameplay with the jumping and the rings and robotnik fights, etc. It was perfect, and it works well too. It also had rpg battles along the way, which was fine, a little out of focus but hey, it's an rpg too. Then I wanted chao gardens, and races, and bonus rounds, and it went on and on and on and I just added too much. Frankly, I just don't have the drive to do it anymore because it isn't the same game I started to make. It's like 10 games in one, and I'm only 4 stages in!

5) THERE IS A WAY AROUND EVERYTHING IN RPG MAKER
If at first you don't succeed, expect to fail another 50-100 times before you get it right. These programs don't always act the way they should, but there is ALWAYS a way to compensate. Don't give up just because something is not going right, you'll never get back to it. But if this happens multiple times, refer to lesson 3.

6) COMBINE GAMES
Yes, the urge to begin making a new game is always there. You get an idea and suddenly your first project doesn't seem so great anymore. Often there are ways to incorporate these ideas into your original game, however. I once plotted an entire game out called FRAGILE HEARTS, from beginning to end. I also had a final fantasy 1 hack I was doing, a black and white one I called KNIGHTS OF EDEN. Now I have a black and white RPG on RM2K I'm making that combines the two, using the best elements of both, while the previosu projects have been scrapped. This new game has been in the making for about a month and I've been forging onward like never before because by merging these projects, everything is already in place for me to start working on.

Anyways, these are just a few little observations I've made.
1. Get high.
2. Open RPG Maker.
3. Make a game.

This is my ACTUAL process. (Minus step one. :P)
But seriously, my best work comes when I just say "Oh, that would be fun/cool/neat" and I IMMEDIATELY write it down, or else I just go start programming. (won't be able to do that soon, if I get my job at best Buy. :D)
I then just go off of there, and, if I can fit it into my game, and still have the story be coherent, or I am able to succesfully make the mechincs work, I save my progress. I can always change it later.

EDIT: Am I the only one who METICULOUSLY gives characters "correct" incorrect grammar?
(if that makes any sense?)

I have a VERY loose idea of the plot in my game. as I work, I add in a dungeon, but If I have an idea for plot, it goes right into a notebook. Then, if I decide that it fits my stories general diredction, it gets tweaked, character's accents/personalities are taken into account, and if It still makes sense, (and I still like it,) in it goes. Again, I can always change it later.

I guess MY best advice is just be spontaneous. As soon as a project feels like "real" work, it's time to move on, because then it's no longer fun. (And hobbies should be fun, right? :D)
Yeah I've come to realize that alot of the people in this topic are speaking the truth. You need to plan, plan, plan if you want to avoid losing faith in what you're doing

the reason I sorta lost interest in my last project (technically its my first project and thus the only one I ever worked on but whatever) is because the game's storyline was just a loose cloud of "what I think might happen" (don't worry if you were interested in The World Tower though, its not dead, especially since I'm planning on having it be a sequel to the new project I'm working on, basically I just want to take a break from it and get some more experience, I think i tried to cram too much stuff (like quests and such) in for a first game and I got burnt out)

Now I'm planning everything out beforehand so i know exactly what the story is, what areas will be in the game, and how everything will fit togather, i'm even going to write out some of the dialogue for key cutscenes beforehand so I know its good and can be confident that I don't have a game with a convaluted story that really doesn't go anywhere

then all I have to do is get to work and cross my fingers that I don't get insanely busy with other stuff and lose interest again

I'm pretty excited for this new project right now so that's a good sign (then again its easy to get excited about the new projects)

oh, and Little Wing Guy's review really helped me build confidence, it let me know what I'm good at (VX mapping and dialogue writing, gotta watch my spelling and grammar though, and where my game suffered from firstgameitis
post=88141
One bit of advice:

This. Seriously.
I am an art major and once I started keeping a moleskine by my bed and writing down ideas I got, the quality of my art pieces improved a LOT.
post=88141
One bit of advice:

yeah writting down things as you go along defeantliy helps. I've had times where i'm just thinking and i have an idea, and i'll forget them later. Also I find listening to music helps me to.

If you lose interest in your project, it's probably a boring game after all. The rule I always use is if you're having fun the player most likely will too. Not exactly always true as it could still be a bad game, but one thing is for sure is that if you're bored making the game, it will be even more boring to play.
Hey, not every aspect of creating a project will be fun. Sometimes you do just need to push through it. (Some strength training and endurance helps - I pump 10 chapsets a day, 30 reps)
post=96110
Hey, not every aspect of creating a project will be fun. Sometimes you do just need to push through it. (Some strength training and endurance helps - I pump 10 chapsets a day, 30 reps)

Hardcore man.

WELCOME...TO THE GUN SHOW.
post=96110

That must build charaset, er I mean, character.

post=96109
If you lose interest in your project, it's probably a boring game after all. The rule I always use is if you're having fun the player most likely will too. Not exactly always true as it could still be a bad game, but one thing is for sure is that if you're bored making the game, it will be even more boring to play.

This just in guys, work and effort is useless, everyone stop making games because the fun will obviously be over by the time you realize that "Oh, I have to make all these maps, puzzles, stats, story, etc." Seeing the end product of your game is unrewarding, stop making games people.