PET PEEVES, TURN OFFS, AND OTHER THINGS THAT PISS YOU OFF.

What little things make you mad, whether it's stuff that other people do, little everyday things that grind you, or turn offs with friends, dates, or the opposite sex or whatever? Hopefully this will turn into an interesting discussion as opposed to several posts of giant lists.

One thing I cannot stand is people with poor manners. I was raised with an especially big emphasis on manners, and 'treat people how you want to be treated' type of philosophy, so rude and ill mannered people are a big, big pet peeve for me. It's not exactly a pet peeve to dislike rudeness, but being raised in the North (which is known for rude people) by a southern originated family (which is conversely known for 'southern hospitality', etc) makes it especially apparent.

Another weird pet peeve I have are red lights. They sort of infuriate me! Reason being I have this weird thing where I can really only enjoy music in the car (or music in general) if I'm moving somehow. Breaking out in full dance while driving is probably legally discouraged in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, so red lights really screw up my groove.

In terms of the opposite gender, I'd have to say women and cell phones. Seriously, they use them too much.
I can't agree with you more about the cell phone deal, Feld. I Can't stand it when they sit on their phone all day and if you so much as PICK UP yours they want to know who exactly you're talking to (not to mention the attitude they throw at you if you ask the same). Women... or should I say girls these days are more stress than they are worth most of the time.

I really can't stand stupid people, or better yet, my generation of people (18-24 years old). I'm serious... most people in the general public seem to have lost their common sense somewhere in the trash bin at the grocery market! All people care about nowadays are cell phones, alcohol, and myspace. Most people I know give me a weird look when I say I actually read a good book all day. What's this world coming to....?
Ugh yes text messaging. I get real annoyed when people text around me, instead of being sane and calling people. Also phones made for texting annoy me cause of how pointless they are.

I also don't like people who are dicks to other people for the sake of being a dick. I can't go into too much detail other than that, but those people make me want to punch babies.

Loud people annoy the heck outta me too, like not moderately loud but these people that SCREAM everything, like you can hear them no matter what.

People that get pissy over small things are annoying too, like say yelling at a resturant worker cause your order got messed up. Don't like that one bit.

And yes Dis stupid people are annoying too, now that you mention it. I can stand some of them, one of my best friends is a damn idiot, but thats funny stupid, not ohhh my god why stupid.
I don't drive, but I have to say I share the 'only enjoy music when the car's moving' thing. Well, even when walking. Nothing's more annoying than a song building to a crescendo while you're stuck waiting to cross.

And I was actually thinking about this earlier today. I think my absolute biggest peeve would have to be people genuinely enjoying arguing. Not debating, but arguing. People who go through their daily lives scoring as many little one-ups and wins over others as they can, and will find a way to turn anything around to make it seem like they've won... and though it can be extremely obvious they're being ridiculous, because you can't prove anything they'll keep up the charade. On the rare occasions when I do actually take the bait and try and call them out on their horseshit, I make sure to do it in front of people. Without an audience, it's just you and them, which is kinda pointless; they're hardly just going to say 'yeah, you're right. I'm awful'. On the even rarer occasions when you do actually corner them with some kind of proof, they find some way to turn it around and go "well, THAT'S WHAT I WAS TRYING TO SAY ALL ALONG." It's practically Orwellian.

Most times, though, I just try and get out of there as quick as I can so I don't have to deal with them anymore, safe in the knowledge that their absolute self-confidence means they'll probably enjoy their life more than I could ever hope for.

Also, eating noises. Fuuuuuck this, everyone should learn to chew with their mouths shut at a minimum, and ideally cut back on the slurping and smacking as well. This is seriously the worst.

In terms of the opposite gender, pepper spray.
post=86613
Ugh yes text messaging. I get real annoyed when people text around me, instead of being sane and calling people. Also phones made for texting annoy me cause of how pointless they are.

I can't deny the uses of texting though. For one, it's incredibly quick, if I'm at work or something where I can't spare the time for a conversation, texting someone to confirm a plan to go out somewhere or something like that is useful, where a conversation isn't really needed. In addition, text messages also allow for delays in conversation; unlike a phone conversation, someone can text me something, and I don't have to immediately answer back. Also, minutes. They're expensive.
Also, eating noises. Fuuuuuck this, everyone should learn to chew with their mouths shut at a minimum, and ideally cut back on the slurping and smacking as well. This is seriously the worst.

FUCKING exactly
Also, dirty women. No one should be dirty, but I think it's gross for a female to be anywhere near as sloppy or lack personal hygiene as a guy. I have actually stopped dating a girl because her dorm room looked like Hurricane Katrina hit it.
abandon your gender stereotypes at the wayside. why shouldn't men be clean cut too?
post=86613

This.
post=86615
And I was actually thinking about this earlier today. I think my absolute biggest peeve would have to be people genuinely enjoying arguing. Not debating, but arguing. People who go through their daily lives scoring as many little one-ups and wins over others as they can, and will find a way to turn anything around to make it seem like they've won... and though it can be extremely obvious they're being ridiculous, because you can't prove anything they'll keep up the charade. On the rare occasions when I do actually take the bait and try and call them out on their horseshit, I make sure to do it in front of people. Without an audience, it's just you and them, which is kinda pointless; they're hardly just going to say 'yeah, you're right. I'm awful'. On the even rarer occasions when you do actually corner them with some kind of proof, they find some way to turn it around and go "well, THAT'S WHAT I WAS TRYING TO SAY ALL ALONG." It's practically Orwellian.

And this, it's even worse when said person of that type is a hypocrite.
post=86620
abandon your gender stereotypes at the wayside. why shouldn't men be clean cut too?

They should! I'm aware of probably saying women because I am a man who is attracted to women, but women seem to be more tolerant of sweaty, sloppy men than men are of sloppy, sweaty women. Also, women have more hygiene issues to attend to, and if a woman is outwardly uncaring about cleanliness, well...
well there is that practical issue I guess, but really you're just binding yourself to social issues that only exist because people want them to.

w/e society is complex and immeasurable
post=86623
well there is that practical issue I guess, but really you're just binding yourself to social issues that only exist because people want them to.

w/e society is complex and immeasurable

No, I just really hate uncleanliness! I know what you're trying to say, but I am a big person on personal hygiene and cleanness.
Hmm. Yeah, a lack of personal hygiene in a partner is a pretty big turnoff, but I don't think I could break it off with someone just because their room was untidy.

Wait, unless there was old food and things everywhere.

Hrmmm.

Also wow, I wrote much more about that arguing stuff than I meant to. Oh, well. These people need to be nuked
post=86615

Glad someone else feels the same! Y'know when you eat with a fork or spoon and you close your lips to get the food off, I hate it when people use their teeth instead and it scrapes across the metal making a dreadful sound over and over. Ugh.

My biggest pet peeve is rudeness, I work with the general public and man do I meet some horrible people.
post=86625
Hmm. Yeah, a lack of personal hygiene in a partner is a pretty big turnoff, but I don't think I could break it off with someone just because their room was untidy.

Wait, unless there was old food and things everywhere.

Funny you say that...

Yeah, it was bad. No one wants to see your Tampax Pearl refuse, lady!
yuck. yeah having said what I have there's practical lines like that that need never be crossed.
post=86612
... What's this world coming to....?

To an end...that's what. Younger people in general these days are getting worse and worse than generations past, believe it of not. My roommates would just say, "oh no, it's just that the world is changing and the people's culture changing...is just different than ours and there's nothing to worry about."

Bullshit.

Anyway, on topic:
My pet peeves? let's see...I'd have to say ghetto people. No matter their ethnicity, if their talking loud and acting stupid and then they get in your face and shit and...GOD. I can't go on. Also, when people leave food or cooking materials out on the counter so GNATS CAN APPEAR AND PISS ME OFF. My roommate is guilty of this ANY time he is in the kitchen. I swear...just put the damn food back in the fridge, it's not that hard!

post=86622
...Also, women have more hygiene issues to attend to, and if a woman is outwardly uncaring about cleanliness, well...

You MUST be talking about my female roommate. Her hygiene issues are...well, let's say...pretty bad. SHE DOESN'T WASH HER HANDS AFTER SHE USES THE BATHROOM. And her fiance is WORSE. O_O
post=86641
post=86612
... What's this world coming to....?
To an end...that's what. Younger people in general these days are getting worse and worse than generations past, believe it of not. My roommates would just say, "oh no, it's just that the world is changing and the people's culture changing...is just different than ours and there's nothing to worry about."

Bullshit.

Oh please, dude. You think moral values and decadent behavior weren't around (a lot) in the 30s and 40s? Young people are pulling the same bullshit they were around a century ago. Same shit, different flavor.
post=86645
Same shit, different flavor.
:) I didn't know the stuff had flavors. You've been tasting it?
Terrible grammar and shit on forums/IMs.

Seriously, I have a mini-rage whenever someone uses "u", "r", "styll", etc.

Another pet peeve of mine has to definitely be double standards. You know, uber-feminists complaining about how they're not treated equal and then complaining they have to work too much and the whole deal with the n-word for two examples.