THE IMPORTANCE OF PLANNING

Pages: first 123 next last
How important to you guys think it is to plan before making a game?

If it is important, how much planning do you guys think is needed?
(relative to the game's size, of course)
I try to just make up stuff as I go along. But then the logistics of directing a team of people to make a game start becoming a problem.

i.e. I don't plan much on things that I make alone, but some amount is needed for team development.

Keep in mind that most things that I put together by myself are quick little games, not epic rpgs.
Sometimes I'll plan what I'm doing ahead of time, as in make area jotnotes story jotnotes etc. Most of the time it's just thinking of the opening of it, then letting some more idea formulate while you make that part in the game, all while constructing everything in the game ahead of time in your mind.

You should really be able to see everything about your game before you produce the parts that you imagine is what I'm getting at.
Planning is an essential part of game development, whether creating a project on your own, or in a team.
As for me personally, I plan the basic structure of the game. I plan the areas, what will occur in those areas (scenes, characters, etc), and the basic structure and architecture of those areas (for instance, if I am about to create a town or dwelling, I'll think about what architecture it will have. Heck, I even search online for images as inspiration). Creating as you go along is fine, but without at least a little bit of planning, your game might not end up as you would like :/.
It is important to plan out your games. I usually try to visualize everything in my head what going to happen in my game. But, it's better to write or draw it down on paper. Otherwise, I would get discourage from making the next area, or dungeon. I have drawn out my dungeon ahead of time and it pays off. I also tend to make thing up on the fly. But, it's better to have something written down.

I already planned out the size of my game. I have to draw out my tiles, monster. charset, etc. So the time to make a game already very high, but the game should be several hours long.
I have an overall plan of what I want to do, but most of the details work themselves out along the way once I realize time/skill limitations.
Game Design Document. is very, very important.
And very hard to do as well. But I manage except I always keep getting new ideas and it is highly encouraged...

No wonder simple silly games are more often!
Sry, but most of the stuff in this Document is completly irrelevant to rpg maker games and absolutly useless if you don't have a team at your disposal.

Don't waste time making 500 page documents, scribe down the outlines, main plotpoints and essentials and than start working for fucks sake.
Planning helps with organization. And organization is the most important thing ever.

Have your game work for you instead of you having to working for your game. Also know your limitations and what's actually feasible in the engine you're using. =)
post=87641
Sry, but most of the stuff in this Document is completly irrelevant to rpg maker games and absolutly useless if you don't have a team at your disposal.

Don't waste time making 500 page documents, scribe down the outlines, main plotpoints and essentials and than start working for fucks sake.

Not really, it's very well used and helps you to keep focused on what you do, since Game Design == Making RPGMaker games since you are acting as a Game Developer, this thing makes you think, are you really sure you want to go with this idea? etc. You don't have to make it 500 pages, it depends on the planned length of your game O_o
It's not that planning isn't a good idea. I recommend it, especially if your game is longer than, say, five hours.

Just don't be one of those 'game designers' that plans and plans and plans and never actually does anything.
post=87641

Basically, this.

Know where you want to start and where you want to end, then get going! Just have a basic of what you want and flesh out the details when the time comes. Say you want a snowy dungeon, then wait until you actually get to that point in the game to flesh out the details - slippery ice, exploding snowmen, etc.

Of course, working in a team requires much more planning an organization.
Although the only things I plan about is gameplay...
Like the battle system, what features would I like to be in it without getting overboard and how the HUD looks like and how to avoid this and that and what stages I need before I start on the tilesets and what enemies I have to put in there because I have to make those graphics as well. The story and character moves are very easy for me so they're always out but when it comes to making the game fun, I have to make sure they are really fun DX
Pretty important, but do not think you should plan every detail of the game. That is one of the most stupid things you could ever do. If you would do this, it comes close to an apathetic job that you, in fact, will never bring to an end. In so far, Lihinel is right.
dragonheartman
Developer, Starless Umbra / Heroes of Umbra
post=87638
Game Design Document.is very, very important.
And very hard to do as well. But I manage except I always keep getting new ideas and it is highly encouraged...

No wonder simple silly games are more often!
I've never ever used a game design document. :(

In fact, I don't think I've planned much. I prefer to just get stuff done, even if it means revising a bit later. Most people think revising is just a waste of time, but as a developer I've always found my standards rising and people often critique something, so it's important to have that flexibility to change. I don't set anything in stone, although some people probably have their own ways.

That's my way of the ninjaamateur game developer.
To quote something the illustrious Magi once said to me:

Yggdrasil Spring as I said was relatively loosely planned. Phantasmagician Manor however was an extensive project with meticulous planning extensively. I drew out layout blueprints (including rough room dimensions) and designed all the puzzles before I even started mapping. I had an idea of what function each room should have, as I wanted dungeons to possess a much stronger sense of progression than the random outdoor areas. That is how the dungeons set themselves apart from the rest of the game. Each room was unique and presented a different challenge.

I'd also like to note that because I had planned out Phantasmagician Manor so carefully, a dungeon many times more complicated than Yggdrasil Spring; I actually finished it in about the same amount of time. :D
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
post=87649
It's not that planning isn't a good idea. I recommend it, especially if your game is longer than, say, five hours.

Just don't be one of those 'game designers' that plans and plans and plans and never actually does anything.

This. As a designer who has both successfully released multiple games and totally failed to complete projects multiple times, I can honestly say that the amount (if at all) of planning I did had no effect, one way or another, on me actually staying motivated/finishing something.
Did it affect the quality of the final product, though?

For my projects, I plan obsessively. Maybe that's why I've only completed 2 full games.
If nothing else, make sure you've formulated your ideas for your battle systems before you push onward. Especially in the case of the default battle system, by creating more monster parties, you're multiplying the amount of work you'll have to do if you want to implement any changes. To avoid extra work in this area, make anything you possibly can a called Common Event.
Ratty524
The 524 is for 524 Stone Crabs
Planning helps you outline what you are doing to begin with. In my planning I typically ask myself what the game is about and how it's going to be played. That's were I start brainstorming and coming up with sketches and stuff.

Despite my process of planning, I end up revising and adding more stuff as I go along in the process of making games. The project I'm working on right now was originally intended to be short and on-the-side, but now I'm actually working to add more crap to it. :P
Pages: first 123 next last