VOICE ACTING IN GAMES

Pages: first 12 next last
i've never played an rpgmaker-made game that has voice acting, so i was wondering, that if someone did put VA'ing in a game, would it make a nice game element?
Bad voice acting always detracts.
Please reserve voice acting for games that are high enough resolution for sprites to have facial movement, thank you.
post=90050
i've never played an rpgmaker-made game that has voice acting.

I envy you.
Gibmaker
I hate RPG Maker because of what it has done to me
post=90061
Please reserve voice acting for games that are high enough resolution for sprites to have facial movement, thank you.

I think that`s the thing about it, unless there`s a way to visually associate the recorded dialog with the right character it would sound like it`s coming from nowhere. Also, imagine the number of files you`d need for an entire game. Also, RM users don`t have access to competent voice talent.

Yes, I too have tried to record my own voice and lower the pitch so I sound older. No, it doesn`t work.
post=90064
post=90050
i've never played an rpgmaker-made game that has voice acting.
I envy you.

You have? What game was this?
EDIT: Never mind the previous statements. I was half-tired when I posted last night since I've had a bit of a long day. But personally, my view on voice acting in RPG Maker games is that while it's not a necessity, it can bring a cool element to the game, as long as it's done well.
If I can watch the dub for Masterforce, I'm sure I could endure RM voice acting

LUNGING ARC

It'll give a good reason to laugh at the game
Resident Evil 1 quality, I assure you. Except more annoying than funny. Something like this will need an off option.
I heard of an app that takes a voice clip and "16-bit"-itizes it so that it sounds like it'd be from an SNES game. I wish I knew what it was because something like THAT would work great for these SNES-era games we pump out. At least better than straight-up voice acting.
post=90270
I heard of an app that takes a voice clip and "16-bit"-itizes it so that it sounds like it'd be from an SNES game. I wish I knew what it was because something like THAT would work great for these SNES-era games we pump out. At least better than straight-up voice acting.

If you can find this I would very much be interested in seeing it!
I actually have seen voice acting in a game, just not for the actual messages and characters. It was used in an intro. Forget the game's name, though.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
This is generally a mistake.
I think the main problem is that RPG makers don't have access to people who would be good voice actors, are good voice actors, or would be willing to do it in the first place.
post=90303
I think the main problem is that RPG makers don't have access to people who would be good voice actors, are good voice actors, or would be willing to do it in the first place.

There are tons of people who do it for free, and do it well with good equipment. When I was really into doing flash movies I found a message board online of voice actors that mostly do pro-bono work. You just go and post the info about your project, characters needed, and descriptions of what their voices should sound like. I got dozens of auditions for one flash animation, I had so many I had to turn a bunch of people away.
post=90077
it can bring a cool element to the game, as long as it's done well.

This is bad advice, because terrible people will think they can do it well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oeg8GBhc0tA

Take this, hiyaaaahh...
post=90307
post=90303
There are tons of people who do it for free, and do it well with good equipment. When I was really into doing flash movies I found a message board online of voice actors that mostly do pro-bono work. You just go and post the info about your project, characters needed, and descriptions of what their voices should sound like. I got dozens of auditions for one flash animation, I had so many I had to turn a bunch of people away.

Oh, wow. I've never tried asking for voice help, and don't need to, but I might try it now that I read your post.
Yeah I was amazed myself, but there are lots of people who are great voice actors but don't have careers in it yet, so they're willing to do work for free to bolster their portfolios.
Yeah, I'm a hobby voice actress...
Also my game was supposed to have voice acting in it, but the RTP graphics & voice clips are a terrible combination ~,~
Pages: first 12 next last