PICK YOUR PARTY VS PICK UP YOUR PARTY

Pages: first 12 next last
Hopefully this has not been asked several times, but I think it could spark some good conversation.

Which system do you prefer? RPGs that you pick your party from classes or RPGs that have a set list of characters that you find along the way?

RPGs that allow you to create your own party from selectable classes have an infinite replay possibility, but this could make the game tough to test if not very uneven to play.

RPGs that have a set list of characters make the game easier to pick up and play, test, but they do not offer the replay possibility unless you make secret characters.

Which system do you prefer?
I would go for either to be honest.
This is pretty close to just being 'wrpg or jrpg?' but yeah, I'd go with the latter. But then, I'm the kind of person who plays for character development and the first option brings with it the wrpg connotations of them having zero personality, as well as the whole 'hey, here's 8 points to put into 50 categories' thing...

edit, whoops I've just realised that you mean from a game-making perspective. Well, my answer's pretty much the same, being someone who looks out for story and characters. But yeah, the first option is more work for you, in the testing and balancing, and more work for the players, in getting it right, for - to me and my why-not-just-read-a-book ilk - probably a much lesser reward.
I prefer when RPGs have set characters already because it allows for a more character driven storyline than having to choose characters with specific classes. Don't get me wrong, I do like playing those games if they're done correctly (ex: Hero's Realm) but it's just hard to incorporate character development that way. And like Maia says, just sprinkle some secret characters in there to up the replay value.
Personally I prefer having a set group of characters, since as everyone has said thus far they tend to make for more character driven stories. Partially though it depends on how heavily a character's job factors into their personality. It's quite possible to envision a person who would act exactly the same whether they were a Fighter or a Mage.

I've recently come across a situation in which you can actually have both at the same time. The game I'm playing currently, Paradise Blue, has a rather interesting approach to this. The story follows two characters who essentially follow the main group around, and the story is actually about them. Your own party is a group of hired guards who are fully customizable and never speak during the entire game. Thus you end up with a character driven story and being able to create your own party from scratch at the exact same time.

There's no question as to the balancing factor though. The more customizable you make your characters the more work you have to do in order to keep your battle system from breaking apart.
This heavily depends on how story and character driven your game is. A game like Xenogears simply would not work if characters were optional or if you picked them.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
post=90457
This is pretty close to just being 'wrpg or jrpg?' but yeah, I'd go with the latter. But then, I'm the kind of person who plays for character development and the first option brings with it the wrpg connotations of them having zero personality, as well as the whole 'hey, here's 8 points to put into 50 categories' thing...

edit, whoops I've just realised that you mean from a game-making perspective. Well, my answer's pretty much the same, being someone who looks out for story and characters. But yeah, the first option is more work for you, in the testing and balancing, and more work for the players, in getting it right, for - to me and my why-not-just-read-a-book ilk - probably a much lesser reward.

Um...plenty of jRPGs have blank slate characters...just look at the Final Fantasy series.
post=90464
post=90457

Um...plenty of jRPGs have blank slate characters...just look at the Final Fantasy series.

The benefit of building your characters: You don't get stuck with the intolerable ones! (see that worst characters thread)

The downside is that you don't get the personalities of the characters. Sure I can have a party with Brandenburg, Bohemia, Lubeck, and Mecklenburg or Peter, Ray, Egon, and Winston but at the end of the day they don't have the same appeal as a well written cast.

I roll on the side of premade characters with customization options. This means I can give the characters some personality while still giving the player a lot of power of how they want the characters to develop. I'm basically thinking Romancing Saga Minstral Song or Seiken Densetsu 3 (although I'd like to shoot for a middle ground on how railroaded the characters are for development)

Having a set party sucks though. No I don't like Rin Tin Tin and I don't want him in the party or oh god he fucking sucks why am I stuck with a character who can't contribute to the party in any way (oh hey half of the FF4 final party)
One of the best crpgs ever made, baldur's gate (& tales of the sword coast) goes with the "all characters optional" thingy (piss off imoen) while allowing for some customization due to the sheer amount of characters and classes (plus, your character is kinda blank state).

so I think BG is somekind of a middle-ground and awesome for it.
Wait wait wait...

So if you pick your characters, you do not get personalities with them?

Why can't character A be a badass?

Why can't character B be the caring one?

Why can't character C be the lady charmer?

Why can't character D always be the hungry comic relief?
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
A kind, caring person who desecrates the bodies of the dead to form his skeletal army?
I see no problem here.
Necromancer = raises the dead

Corpsefucker = desecrates the bodies of the dead

You have limited imagination. I am sure there is some wizard out there with a dead wife that wants to bring her back to life. Her and only her. Just do not have a necromancer as a class.
You guys haven't played enough tactics games.
post=90527
Wait wait wait...

So if you pick your characters, you do not get personalities with them?

Why can't character A be a badass?

Why can't character B be the caring one?

Why can't character C be the lady charmer?

Why can't character D always be the hungry comic relief?

Because that's not how they're written?
post=90548
Many cultures consider the removal of a body from its grave as desecration, nobody needs to fuck anything. Why do you think some people get uppity when the police want to do it to gather more evidence?

Just because society has certain of morals and values doesn't mean everyone has the same. Take me for example; if I could earn an extra buck by selling my body after I'm dead, then that's all fine and dandy. Or even if someone digs it up and... well, whatever; I dont care, I'm dead. Does this make me lord evil of darkness?
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
Hilariously off topic.

post=90555
You guys haven't played enough tactics games.
This. FFTA is the first example that comes to my mind - my Marche is an expert Soldier Fighter Paladin Thief Ninja Black Mage White Mage Blue Mage Illusionist Archer Hunter. And he still has enough character left over to oppose the Palace at Bervenia and eat some Totemas for breakfast.

The two (w/j-rpg) can coexist.
Pages: first 12 next last