CUSTOM GAME ENGINE

Pages: 1
I'm a programmer and game engineer. I've been working on this OpenGL multicore open-source multiplatform game engine called the WeaponSoul engine. It will be designed with the RPG-creator in mind, but you can make other things with it.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/weaponsoul/

I was thinking that... For a good exercise I should reverse-engineer the data files. It appears the data isn't encrypted and the format is pretty straightforward. The only problem I expect to have is with the event commands. I was going to make it so that if a file called RPG_RT.ldb exists, it will be played back. I've already written tile systems, collision, and everything. Writing the engine itself, at least for me, is several orders of magnitude easier than writing the tools like the actual RPG Maker itself.

I think this might be fun do conquer my past and go beyond... or just screw around!

Anyway, here's the advantages of having an engine like this:

- Open-source helps kill bugs fast.
- Works on Linux and Macs
- Battle system is whatever you want
- Can add features

I doubt I'll get very far, but I think it's worth a try. This project is actually alot like writing an Emulator.
What are you writing it in?
All in C.

Here's parts of what I've been working on for the engine:
http://www.dreamincode.net/forums/blog/~wolfcoder/index.php?cat=92&st=5

Here's a download of the rougher engine Alpha-2. It might jiggle or flicker on some system, but usually it runs just fine.
The latest version is the much, much, much better Alpha 4.
http://www.dreamincode.net/forums/blog/~wolfcoder/index.php?showentry=1314

It's just a test of the engine.
Hurray for OpenGL!

It's nice to see someone creating their own engine even if you don't end up finishing it.
Alot of people keep saying "OMG OMG it would be so awesome, 24-bit color, higher resolutions, custom battle/menu/everything! if only you'll finish it which i doubt" but they also don't like XP or VX for some reason.

which is actually sort of making me want to finish it. You guys can help if you can actually find some datasheets on the .lmu .ldb and .lmt files. But it all comes down to classical white-hat hacking for me, I'll just do things like make an event with one command to see how commands are defined, ect.

I mean, I've done this before for some proprietary format that a electron microscope used to save screenshots.

All those features sound nice, but I personally would like Net Send variables that reflect the game acting as the server and server controlled maps. Just for small 2-4 player multiplayer RPG games like crystal cronicles.
I actually have a legitimate reason for actually being serious with this engine.

I got this new netbook with linux and I find out

That the engine doesn't run very well on Linux. Talk about a dire need of a font patch- but even if I got the font working, I can't say the same for the performance.

The problem is, this is going to be very difficult to implement. But the rewards are much bigger. I'm not exactly sure I have the time to be doing this, but I already have an engine made to take care of Graphics and Input. The job would just have me decode the RPG Maker files- displaying pictures and the like already works. I even already have an entity object system written. Plus it's already dual-core optimized so it runs faster on this little thing.

Oh yeah, and heres the source code to all of this. You'll have to add SDL and OpenGL yourself- the code won't compile itself.

http://rpgmaker.net/users/4965/locker/weaponsoul.zip

All GNU licensed code of course.
tardis
is it too late for ironhide facepalm
post=92149
I'm a programmer and game engineer.

I've been meaning to ask, what do you do outside of developing interesting engines and RM games? Obviously, you must have some body of professional work to justify these skills?
Professional? Hee hee. I started programming at the age of about 12 or so. Of course I'm studying Computer Science at my school and on my 3rd year. However, I wanted to make games and learn how to program, so I simply just taught myself.

If I wanted to use OpenGL I would just work out of the "Red Book", SDL has documentation, I might add some media library to play mp3s in my engine so I'll just research that. Research, programming, all of it is my idea of what is fun to do. Programming is just what I do.

I don't know what you mean by "professional". You just get some books and do your research and learn all this stuff. Ask experienced people to show you tricks and the like. The only hard part of it is the time you will spend trying to figure this out. My classmates back in middle school were struggling with geometry while I was trying to teach myself Linear Algebra so I could do complex operations for Linear Transformations for the 3D and geometrical stuff, for example. No one at the age of 14 is going to learn Linear Algebra on their own free time unless they really wanted to.

I'm really thinking I might as well just make my own game making suite for people to use. Something easy to use and definitely NOT 1.3 GB in size. And supports more than just WAVs. WTF. I've played MMORPG games smaller than that.
Pages: 1