NOCTURNA WILL REVIEW YOUR GAMES.

Pages: first 12 next last
Hello, guys. This is another one of those "I will review your game" threads. Give me your games and I will review them; HOWEVER, I do have some rules and exceptions you might want to look at before putting up your game.

I will NOT review your game if:

- It has four or more reviews.

WHY?

The whole point of me deciding to make this thread is so that people that really need feedback on their games can get some here. I'm not looking to play a game that has 5 or 8 reviews. To me, that is enough feedback, and I hope that you are happy with them.

But let's cut to the chase. My review format is as follows:

The Good is obviously the good aspects of the game.

The Bad is obviously the bad bits of a game.

Now what makes my reviews different from others?

The Ugly. I hope you saw this coming. What is "The Ugly"? No matter - NO MATTER what game I have played, there is something in it that irks me/ pisses me off/ irritates me. I will explain everything that has done this to me in my reviews.

There is also one last section that is composed out of smaller, more random points towards a game, much like Gibmaker does, such as:

- Aspect I liked most.
- Best line in the game.
- Most idiotic level design I've ever seen.
- Etc.

I'm also not much of a game-finisher, so hope that your game will be compelling enough to have me play to the end.

Bring on the games.

Current list:

Pokemon Hunter 2 by: Halibabica

Avantasia by: Bahamut

Speak No Evil by: ChaosProductions
play Darksteel! http://rpgmaker.net/games/663/
I'm well aware it has flaws/bugs, but feel free to indulge in tearing them apart if necessary.
And so, another brave Reviewer Class Hero sets forth on his epic journey.

But what's this?! With so many people choosing the reviewer class, random encounters with hyped game have been exhausted!?

Seems this hero will have to quest for virgin territory.

Edit: I givest thou a most urgent quest to review Forum Command: The Attack of RMN3, for the makerscore awarded for game pages is now dependent on the game's score plus I want to see what an actual review will do too my fake review page
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
I think I'll send you into the pits of Speak No Evil. I warn you, there is no room for wussiness.
Bwa ha ha ha! I think I'm goiong to send Boss Project IV up to the stands again. It'll be my little test subject until I (if I ever do =P) come out with a new game.

Boss Project IV:
http://rpgmaker.net/games/1308/

Kuu hu hu hu.
halibabica
RMN's Official Reviewmonger
Hmm, let's see...my first one already has four reviews, so it's out. The second has two, the third has one, and the fourth's demo has two. I don't think anything could top what Silviera had to say about the third, and I'd rather release the full version of the fourth before seeking feedback, so the second it is! {/thoughtprocess}

Would you please take a look at Pokemon Hunter 2? It has two reviews, but I didn't find either of them very helpful. Also, I know I can't force you to play it or anything, but all I ask is that you at least beat the first boss before giving your opinion. Thanks!
Please review my game and tell me what's good, bad, and ugly about it. Here's a link.

Thanks!
Don't people just review what they want to anymore?
There never was a time in the past when people reviewed what they wanted (or with a few exceptions reviewed anything at all).
post=93315
There never was a time in the past when people reviewed what they wanted (or with a few exceptions reviewed anything at all).

I'm not reading this. This is a figment of my imagination.
DARKSTEEL

Opening words -

Darksteel is a game currently in production, so in the end, I had no incentive to finish it, but I do believe I got pretty far.

This game's overall score is:

From other traditional rpgs I've played in the past, Darksteel is no different. I have never played a VX game, however, so I'm naive when it comes to RTP, common events, and the like. Regardless, I know a traditional RPG when I play it, and Darksteel fit that pile quite nicely.

Good Lord! No random battles! Instead of random battles, there are events that take the form of floating fire, some of which follow the hero, move about randomly, or move about according to a script assigned to them. I always welcome this in RPGs, and I suggest everyone else do the same. There are certain points though, in which it is near impossible to avoid battle, so keep that in mind. The graphics, I suppose, were well done too. I'm not quite sure if everything was RTP (probably was), but still, the maps were crafted quite nicely. Nothing wrong there. I also like the implementation of the Jump feature as well as certain, brain-busting puzzles.

I did not enjoy the storyline. It was mediocre, no, actually it was less than mediocre. What is so different about this game's story that makes it stand out from the rest? Nothing. Well, actually, there is one case where cliche storylines ultimately don't matter, and that is when its PRESENTATION is remarkable. I saw none of that in Darksteel. The characters weren't all too memorable either, and the dialogue was easily forgettable. Nothing extraordinary plot-wise, so don't play this game expecting any of that.

What was so ugly about this game? I'm not talking map design here - the map design was actually pretty good. The thing that really pissed me off in DarkSteel were the puzzles. I am not much of a patient individual, and I often get upset at puzzles, but there was one certain puzzle in DarkSteel that made me tear my hair out in absolute frustration - the Fire, Water, Earth puzzle. Basically there are these "Below Hero" events that take up the graphic as either a fiery cluster of bubbles, a watery geyser-like thing, and a group of pebbles. At first you will see water geysers everywhere and rocks. If you step on the fiery event, all events like it will turn into towers of flames, obstructing your path in certain areas, however, the water geysers will be tamed and you are free to step over them, but stepping over them will cause the geysers to erupt once again and the rocks to turn into the pebbles. Step over the pebbles and the fire towers will calm, but the geysers will be unchangable. I tried to explain that the best I could without confusion. Once you actually GET the right path in this puzzle, however, you'll slap yourself in the head, wondering why you didn't think of it before, but that doesn't matter. What matters is that there is one certain spot in the puzzle that will TRAP YOU FOREVER, FORCING YOU TO RESTART THE GAME. I've fallen under this trap about 5 times accidentally, and I nearly threw my computer monitor out the window.

But, hey, that's all that was ugly, so good for Darksteel!

Greatest feature of this game: Non-random enemy encounters / Map design.

Ho-hum features: Mediocrity of characters and dialogue.

Worst feature of this game: The Fire, Water, Earth puzzle.

Last impression: Nothing much new to see here other than it was my first VX game. Hoo-ah. It was an okay game, dumbed down by a mediocre plot and characters, but there is still potential to be found here.
FORUM COMMAND: ATTACK OF RMN3

Opening words -

Game Maker. Tried it once, never tried it again. This appears to be the first Game Maker game I've ever played after that.

This game's overall score is:

It's a simple game. Reminds me of Atari. But anyways, here's the little I have to say about this game.

The simplicity. Simplicity is ALWAYS a good thing. No goddamn person in this world would want to play an extremely complex video game. That just takes away all the entertainment which should be present in a video game in the first place. The other thing I kind of enjoyed was the whole concept of the video game. It's obviously an inside joke that involves this very website itself.

Anyway, that's it.

I didn't expect this game to last long right from the start. The first time I played this game, it was clunky. The "rocket" physics were strange at first - the rocket itself was kinda slow, and when it reached its destination (wherever you click on the screen), it explodes for about 2 seconds. Anything that comes in contact with the black, throbbing dot that is excused as said explosion will be decimated. The first time I got my ass whooped, I was already ready to bash the shit out of this game, but I decided to give it another go, and it didn't turn out so bad, but that's when there rises another problem - the game gets boring, fast. BUT THAT is another thing I expected to happen. As I said before, this is a very simplistic game.

I was intentional, I know, but the graphics make me want to puke. Not necessarily the graphics, but the color choice. It was a pain to look at. Another thing to note is that fact that you can run out of rockets, which is the dumbest shit I've ever seen for a game as simplistic as this. The first time I played, I had no idea you could run out of rockets. When I couldn't fire anymore, a flurry of "what-the-fucks" poured out of my gaping mouth. Poor "R" went down in a flash (I wanted to mention that "R" was the one often getting targetted by whatever the hell was throwing those ghastly letters from the sky. Tsk tsk.), and before I knew it, the rest of the letters, "F", "O", "U", and "M" were exterminated just as quick. But like I said, it was the first time I played it, and the second time should be better.

Greatest feature of this game: Simplicity and nostalgia brought through Atari-like presentation.

Ho-hum features: Almost too simple to the point where it becomes boring fast.

Worst feature of this game: Colors and the ability for rockets to deplete.

Worst color to ever use in a video game background: Pink.

Last impression: Simple, but gets boring quick. Graphics are nauseating, and gameplay is standable.
Speak No Evil

No spelling mistakes in the title.

No download link.

No download link.

LouisCyphre
Oh, for the love of...

Give me about five minutes.

EDIT: Apologies - vastly intelligent oversight on my part. Download pending.
LouisCyphre
It's accepted. Enjoy... or don't. Either way, the feedback helps me.
So, I am capable of creating a slightly below average game as a joke in an hour of slacking off at work.
(the hardest part of making it while slacking off was creating the sound effects myself)

B-)
The simplicity. Simplicity is ALWAYS a good thing.

post=93466

Is that all you have to debate with?
post=93478
post=93466
Is that all you have to debate with?
Your words do all of the work for me.
Your words do all of the work for me.

Give me a good example of a case where simplicity is the exact opposite of good.
Pages: first 12 next last