RM2K3'S 'GUAGE' BATTLE SYSTEM

Pages: 1
I was wondering recently about RM2K3's 'gauge' battle system. I've seen it used in a few games, and never really had any problem with it myself. But looking at a review of my game a while back, I see two complaints that I was wondering how much of the community mirrored. The first is that it requires the player to press the button more often - to select each character, before they act. The second is that it makes it more difficult to see who you're selecting. Thinking about it, I've never had the second problem myself, usually just looking at who's flashing, rather than the big floating hand (or arrow etc., I'm assuming that on other system2 sets it's not much better).

I always just use the gauge system without thinking, because with the others, the MP count collided horribly with the timebar - though in retrospect a very unobtrusive system2 set would probably fix this? (In any case, for me personally it pretty much has to be guage or alternative, because traditional displays the monster names and that won't really work for me, a lot of the time favouring very long names that definitely don't fit onscreen/in the database)

Out of interest, what is the general consensus on the gauge system (and the other systems, by comparison)? Is anybody likely to pass on a game because it uses it? Do you use the gauge system? I do really, really prefer the aesthetic of the system to the others, but it's probably best to find out sooner rather than later if it it actually hampers enjoyment significantly for most people or something...

edit: gatdam I cannot spell 'gauge', and I can't seem to edit the title : (
I've got no problem with it. Although if you've only got 1 or 2 people in your party it looks kinda empty.
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
I really don't care.
I've seen people complain that for some reason the gauge system slows the game down too much, but an extra click doesn't bother me. I use the alternative system, but I used the gauge system in earlier games because I liked the aesthetic as well.
Personally, I don't like the rm2k3 battlesystem at all so I what's an extra button press going to bother me?
I also hate the RM 2k3 system. It complicates the ATB and doesn't add the simplicity of what the FF games accomplished. For one, that MP problem and not being able to display the names of the monsters for ALL of the options instead of one. I stick to RM 2K's system, though I would want the option of doing the "when it's your character's turn, they act immediately", rather than choosing all the actions the characters will do then have the round play out like it does in the 2K system. In addition, I love FFX's turnbased system so much that I may end up changing engines just so I can create that system.
It sucks but we understand it.

Personally I'm to lazy to dick around with battle systems for the sake of having something different.
Pages: 1