RMVX AND YOU

Pages: first 12345 next last
I am toying around with the idea of writing a series of articles around learning the ropes of RMVX, something like The Trials and Tribulations of kentona's Travails into RMVX. It would be akin to a blog as I try to feel my way around RMVX from the point of view of someone who had only seriously used RM2k/3. It'd probably turn out to be a series of simple "how-tos" in VX that are covered elsewhere, in much more detail I'm sure, so I question how much value my proposed contribution would be.

Stepping back, we seem to have a larger percentage of people here at RMN that use RM2k3 than most other sites (not that that's a bad thing!) but I have always felt that the best way to get people to follow you is to lead by example.

Then again, I am also toying around with the idea of straight up putting the effort into coding my own games in XNA and/or Java. Seeing as how I am a programmer that isn't that big of a stretch.

Thoughts?

Also, I hope to use this topic as a general dumping ground for RMVX vs. RM2k3 related discussion. It comes up all the time. We needn't sully other topics like the RM2k3 Battle Quirks with that debate.
tardis
is it too late for ironhide facepalm
do it. i can't be dicked to actually read rmvx tutorials, but if you wrote it, i would.
i've been thinking about learning vx, for no reason other than craze and karsu make some cool gams in it.
I am currently writing a tutorial on which game making program is for you, was thinking of making the comments a rm2k3 vs rmvx warzone. But hey your idea is fine!
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
post=107056
do it. i can't be dicked to actually read rmvx tutorials, but if you wrote it, i would.
i've been thinking about learning vx, for no reason other than craze and karsu make some cool gams in it.

<3

EDIT: My argument for VX is Demon Tower.
tardis
is it too late for ironhide facepalm
b-but 2k3 demon tower was epic
Craze
VX Demon Tower was fun.
As someone who uses VX, I'd be really interested in reading this if it ever came to fruition. A lot of people in this community do some incredibly impressive stuff with the older engines. Sadly we havent seen much of that on the VX front so far. I think if you did go through with this, maybe it could inspire people to try to make more VX games. I don't know, Hopefully!

As a user of both VX and 2K3, I gotta admit I prefer 2K3 - but that's mainly because I know what I'm doing with it, where as with VX there's a lot of stuff that you used to be able to do in 2K3 that have been cut out in lieu of having scripts supplement those things instead.

Also, I know that graphics of VX are quite a turn off for a lot of people, mainly being so square and blocky - though I don't really see that as a problem myself. The auto tile feature as well as the auto shadow can be rather annoying and the chipset limitations are all cited as reasons that people don't like to use it - also the layer selection is rather bleh - most of these can be gotten around using scripts, though, but if you're like me you don't know Ruby from Pearl. XP

Don't get me wrong, I like VX, but not as much as I like 2K3 - it's much better than XP is and I personally prefer the graphics of VX to XP.

That said, I'd like to see what you come up with, kentona. Articles are always a good read - you never know what ideas may be sparked from one, even if it is about a program you don't use. ^_^
Craze
post=107078
Also, I know that graphics of VX are quite a turn off for a lot of people, mainly being so square and blocky - though I don't really see that as a problem myself.

VX ISN'T BLOCKY THE RTP IS BLOCKY
post=107079
post=107078
Also, I know that graphics of VX are quite a turn off for a lot of people, mainly being so square and blocky - though I don't really see that as a problem myself.

Completely agree craze. Anyone can use the mack tilesets or make there own.
I started playing around with VX because I really can't stand rm2k3 and all it's limitations anymore - problem is, I'm horrible at scripting and barely have the will to learn ruby. One could prefer XP to VX but since the complete amount of available spirtes for XP is in the RTP-style (which looks horrible) I choose VX - even though the RTP TILES might look a bit stiff and some functions in the program are not as handy as they were in, say, rm2k3, I just wanted to try something new.

I'm very interested in the idea kentona put up, so yeah, do it. It'd help with the current project I'm making, as it is a modest JRPG-tale that mainly focuses on gameplay and dialogue (my main weak points, I think) but also getting used to VX.
Can someone here show me an RMVX game that doesn't use some form of RTP? An actual map please.

If you want to keep pestering people into upgrading, I would suggest RMXP.
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
Better yet, can someone show me a VX user that isn't too lazy to make their own tilesets?

(I'm certainly not looking forward to making mine, but the point stands!)
post=107097
Better yet, can someone show me a VX user that isn't too lazy to make their own tilesets?
post=107096
Can someone here show me an RMVX game that doesn't use some form of RTP? An actual map please.

*shameless plugs*

On the point:

post=107079
post=107078

Yes this is true, there's a KGC Extension Script thingy that allows you to set 4 tile passability outside the default editor as well, so even if you used non rtp stuff, the KGC will fix your passability issues with round corners =w=
Wow, what is with Azure Ocean's terrible level design? The spriting is nice; but everything else... Blegh.

Oh, and your game uses pre-drawn backgrounds. The tileset limit alone is enough to keep me away from RMVX forever.
Can someone here show me an RMVX user that ran out of tileset space?
@Nightblade actually it's set to be a tileset for a good reason, XP and VX removed picture doesn't scroll with player option :/

@Darken, there's a script that allows you to change tilesets depending on what map # you are in @_@
Ocean
Resident foodmonster
Nessiah posted the screens and I wasn't aware until after that it was for this topic. Those 2 screens aren't complete, in fact the 1st one is an old non-tileset version. The 1st one was for a message box test and the 2nd one was a shadow test for the trees.

It's a good idea to get rid of the auto-shadows too, especially when you have curves or diagonals there. As of right now, for this area, I've used up Tileset B, leaving Tilesets C, D and E free, and I have a lot of the Tileset A's which still are free. Not sure if I'll be hitting the limit on tiles, but I can always use panoramas and charactersets if I'm really in need of extra space.

I haven't really used RMXP, so I can't comment much on it but it should give a lot more freedom than VX's mapping which is more limited than 2k3, although they had to remove all those events and stuff.
Considering all the huge and time-consuming inconveniences anyone using rm2k3 has to deal with to do anything remotely creative beyond the engine's intended purpose, I find it hilarious that they would so easily scoff at the idea of a simple tile switch script - effectively allowing for an unlimited number of tiles.
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
I fucking love noteboxes. I cannot tell you how awesome it is to, say, place <blood cast> in a condition's notes and be done with it.
Pages: first 12345 next last