A 'SCAN' SKILL IN RM2K3?

Pages: 1
Yeah uh is there a way to do this in a pretty clean fashion? I noticed Balmung pulled it off. Can anyone help me out?
Ocean
Resident foodmonster
Depends on how you want it. Skill, or Battle command?

If you do battle command, I'd make it an attack archetype, have a "stun" type effect (temporary) on your character when they use that command, check which enemy is targetted, place text there. Of course you'd need to get the enemy HPs and stuff as variables but that you'll do just before the message. Show the scan battle animation just before that. Remove stun from your character (This is mainly so that the character doesn't hit the person they're scanning).

I used common events in PB for enemy types so I don't have to repeat weaknesses, resistances and all that, I just set the variables to their HP/MP before and then call the common event with the message for that enemy type.

I don't remember how Balmung did it though.
Skill would be infinity easier, and more comparable with the rest of the game.
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
post=110293
Skill would be infinity easier

Good luck finding out who was targeted.
It's a wide-field scanner! All enemies are revealed!

Seriously, that's what it should be. I doubt I would waste a turn on scanning a single enemy.
post=110294
post=110293

post=110296
It's a wide-field scanner! All enemies are revealed!

Seriously, that's what it should be. I doubt I would waste a turn on scanning a single enemy.

Yeah, it would target all enemies on the field. Balmung had it so it one enemy could be scanned at a time, so it's possible, if nothing else.
The way Ocean described is the only fluid way of doing it with a targeted enemy. I hadn't thought of stunning and unstunning to keep from damaging the enemy, but that is a brilliant idea.

To do a full scan, you'd just have to have a switch skill and make a battle event for each monster group to show the info on the enemy party. It's a painful amount of text input, but is definitely a cool thing to add.
post=110294
post=110293
Branch: If monster is the current target.

Doing it skill based means you need to track the users current MP and their new MP after the skill was used. Subtract it, and if it's equal to a certain amount, then your scan skill initiates. No other skill can have the same MP requirement as the scan skill. All of this must be done through battle event pages. That's for scanning one enemy btw, not all.

Or you can just make it an item and be done with it.
post=110364
post=110294
post=110293
Branch: If monster is the current target.

Doing it skill based means you need to track the users current MP and their new MP after the skill was used. Subtract it, and if it's equal to a certain amount, then your scan skill initiates. No other skill can have the same MP requirement as the scan skill. All of this must be done through battle event pages. That's for scanning one enemy btw, not all.

Or you can just make it an item and be done with it.

That doesn't work, if you have less monsters (example if a monster dies) than you made branches the system will crash that a monster does not exist.

I made a custom monster selection system within the dbs, but for now I keep that code inside the borders of my own game.
Ocean
Resident foodmonster
I'm pretty sure you could get around that by checking to see if the monster is alive? (Monster 1 HP > 0, or Monster 1 can act), something like that.

But I've never done it that way really.
I don't know what the big differences between coding this stuff in XP and 2k3 is, but it was really easy to set up in XP without scripts. Just have the attack add a condition to the target, use a common event to check which character has the status, set a variable to that position, have a battle event that sets a variable based on that position, then call a common event with all the enemy's scan information in it.

So you really just need two common events, a battle event and two variables. It sounds more daunting up there than it is to program. I'm very lazy, but this hasn't been any trouble. You just have to set up the variable for each enemy in every troop.
Decky
I'm a dog pirate
This is pretty much RPG Maker 101 once you've done it once. Just create a battle event, set variables to HP, MP, and whatever stats you want, and let the player know in a tutorial or something that the scan order for enemies is from top to bottom, bottom to top, or whatever floats your fancy. The only catchy part is if the monster has died, but you can insert a conditional branch if it bothers you. I kind of like seeing the dead enemies show up on the scan; maybe I killed them but would still like to know their weaknesses and resistances by checking out their corpse.

Scan systems are pretty much required if you plan on having strategy and depth in your battles. Stuff like weaknesses, resistances, rare steals, etc.
Pages: 1