PIXELS

chana
(Socrates would certainly not contadict me!)
It's ok, I figured out how Gimp works, and if difficult, I think it'sone of the best, so I'm ok, thanks, anyways.
author=UPRC
I tried to make Mantracker.

This makes me want to trek across the Canadian Wilds in a black trenchcoat or whatever.

I really need more practice spriting big things.
Nice! Kind of makes me thing of Mother/Earthbound in some aspects. And yet different.

Point is, I like it. ^^
Yeah, I got (read: copied) my style from Mother 3 when I first started spriting. I think at this point I've grown enough for it to not be a complete ripoff anymore though.
chana
This is as good as i get, what am i doing wrong?

I can't seem to get precise enough, and when i oversize the pixel, i don't quite see what i'm doing.
author=chana

I can't seem to get precise enough, and when i oversize the pixel, i don't quite see what i'm doing.

It's a good start. My advice to you. Start small. Do 16 x 16 sprites and work your way up. Familiarise yourself with the small and the large becomes easy.
chana
Thanks; I'll follow that advice.
author=chana

Protip: Don't use the MS Paint spraypaint tool. I'm not actually sure if you did or not, but trust me--avoid looking like you did as well.

(as awesome as the spraypaint tool is...)
chana
I didn't, I used Gimp.
uhh.. don't save as a jpeg ever when doing pixel work (use png). surprised no one mentioned this yet.
chana
i'll remember that, this said, i just tried it, it didn't make much difference. If it looks blurred, that's just my doing! (though i'm sure on a large scale it does make a difference).
K-hos
whoa You guys are hi-chaining without me? That's just not right. :<
Well if you resaved it as .png then yeah not going to do anything. You need to save it as a lossless format to start with.
chana
I see,thx.
author=chana
I didn't, I used Gimp.

... Yeah I realized that later. Don't let anyone tell you that MS Paint isn't the best way to make pixel art though.
(that's a lie).
chana
I can try Paint, i have Windows (xp) on another partition, too many viruses, so i only go on the internet on my actual partition, which is Linux (sort of a drag to go back and forth but worth it!), surprised though, Paint is considered like shit by Linux and Gimp users! (or did i get you ?)
Paint can be used to pixel, it has all the tools you need. But layer-based editors are the best, and Gimp happens to be free. Paint is also slower to use since its not spriter(pixeler w/e)-friendly on account of minimum tools and features. As a result it takes much longer to learn and use Paint with the same efficiency as, say, Gimp.
chana
ok, thanks for the clear explanation, i'll stick with Gimp then. (I'll give Paint a try though, to see.)
Oh god yes. Layers=happy. If Gimp and Paint had a baby, I would kidnap it and never let it go.