GETTING RPG MAKER XP TO WORK IN WINDOWS VISTA OR 7

Pages: 1
It's come to my attention that a good number of users are having trouble getting RPG Maker XP working under Vista or 7. When starting RPXP, or a RPXP game, a window would open and just as quickly close, without any kind of error message. I had the same trouble, and discovered a solution.

There is a Windows feature, DEP (Data Execution Prevention). It's a security feature meant to block malicious scripting from launching, but there are some older, legit programs it does not play nice with. Half-Life 1 being one, RPG Maker XP being another. The solution is to disable DEP outright, or add EVERY executable (for RPG Maker XP, and for each game) to the DEP exception list.

Hope this helps!
-Xerek
This got RMXP games to run but the editor still silently dies whenever I start it, DEP or no. Considering the editor needs to be ran with administrator privileges just to test play the game this kind of terrible coding really isn't too surprising. Another point again RMXP

*edit*
Responding to your response in the other thread:
Xerek
Glad I could help. Are you sure you added the right .exe file for RMXP to the list? I was able to get it working fine on mine (along with the RPXP games). If I recall, RMXP had a few .exes in there. You might want to try adding all of them to the list. Or, disable DEP outright briefly, and seeing if RMXP runs. If it does, then you know you just didn't add the right .exe to the optout list. Re-enable DEP, and just experiment with adding different .exes to the list.

Good luck!
-Xerek

I tried a few executables. RPGXP the editor, Graphics in the RTP folder, and Game in the System folder all with no luck. I'll try turning off DEP later and see if that helps any.

Hilarious anecdote: A RGSS.dll I once used to bypass encryption worked better (as in didn't crash with DEP) than the actual RGSS player!
Checking other forums, it occurred to me that I should post this separately/split it off. If I get time tomorrow, I'll download RPXP, re-enable DEP (it's disabled atm), and see if I can find the right .exe. (I wiped my drive and installed Win 7, so I don't have my old exception list).

Let me know,
-Xerek

Sorry it took me so long to report, I forgot to even try this

I set DEP to OptIn and now RMXP works again! Then I turned it right back on because fuck RMXP since it isn't even programmed right that it would trip DEP.

Thanks for solving this mystery!
In case you still want to know download ( I used winrar) Open and install once there the icon should be on your desktop right click set RUN AS ADMINASTRAITER then it should work.
Pages: 1