EXP AND LEVELING RATE IN RM2K3

Pages: 1
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
Is it possible to make this exponential? For example, could I make it so each level up takes twice as much experience as the last? It doesn't look like I can, but I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

Also, how do other people set up their experience systems? I don't want people sitting and grinding level 5 mobs because they give almost as much exp as level 15 mobs.
You can... you'd need to do math here, but RM2K3's set up for full customization for leveling. As for how this would be done... again, you need to do the math.

I sometimes don't even use exp for leveling, opting more for a more richer level up system. Basically, if you defeat a boss you get points that you can use to beef up your character. For example, I downed a space frigate, I get 5 points that I can use to improve any of my stats, I need to be careful though and spend wisely, because I don't get more points till I kill something big, or fight a boss. PLUS, leveling my stats gets more expensive each time I use my points, so I need to keep this in my mind. Thats how I do it, this takes a bit of eventing though, so keep this in mind before attempting this.
Decky
I'm a dog pirate
post=139211
You can... you'd need to do math here, but RM2K3's set up for full customization for leveling. As for how this would be done... again, you need to do the math.

I sometimes don't even use exp for leveling, opting more for a more richer level up system. Basically, if you defeat a boss you get points that you can use to beef up your character. For example, I downed a space frigate, I get 5 points that I can use to improve any of my stats, I need to be careful though and spend wisely, because I don't get more points till I kill something big, or fight a boss. PLUS, leveling my stats gets more expensive each time I use my points, so I need to keep this in my mind. Thats how I do it, this takes a bit of eventing though, so keep this in mind before attempting this.

Yeah, I try to avoid the traditional levels unless it's an homage game. For instance, I have an alchemy system in my flagship series. Such a system typically revolves around collecting items and combining them into stat-boosting tonics.
When I write custom systems, I actually do this in my game where enemies just have a level and you get proportional points to them. It's a really simple and easily programmed curve, and you always need 1000 or so EXP to level up always.
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
post=139211
You can... you'd need to do math here, but RM2K3's set up for full customization for leveling. As for how this would be done... again, you need to do the math..

I've been trying to do the math for a while and I haven't been able to :/
Are you talking about the built-in experience system in RM2K3 or event scripting?

As far as Level-ups and custom systems go, I don't really need one for my game. Customized characters and alternative leveling can be very cool if done well, but you need other systems in place to support it, and it's not necessary for a good game. There's no point in being able to assign a hero's stat points to Strength if he only learns magic attacks , for example, and too many custom systems just hurt the game if done poorly.
iirc the 2k3 experience curve is, with a=primary, b=secondary, and c=tetriary, and l=current level

EXP for next level = a*l + c*l + b * (1+l)
(or l*(a+b+c) + b)

It's been a while, I'm not sure if this is right

*edit*
Actually, it might be
EXP for next level = a + c + b * l

I need 2k3 to confirm :(

*reedit*
vvvvv
Yes, EXP for next level is:
a + c + b * l

Total exp to reach current level would be:
(l - 1) * (a + c) + (l - 1) * l * b / 2
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Yeah the default XP rate system in 2K3 is pretty much unusable garbage. Absolute best-case scenario, at the steepest possible curve you can make, level 50 takes only twice as much XP than level 25, and level 50 only takes 25% more XP than level 40. That's awful. There is no possible situation where that is an acceptable curve. If you gain thirty levels, you should absolutely NOT be able to keep XPing at a good rate off the same enemies.

You will have to make either a custom battle system so that enemies award variable XP, or make a custom XP system so that the curve is something more sensible. If you make a custom XP system, which is what I did in Vindication, then the XP values in the menu screen will be wrong, and the player will not be able to see his or her XPTNL in the menu. So if that bothers you, it might be nice to spend the time to make a custom menu.

If you're interested in making a custom XP system, you can steal the one from Vindication. It's done via global events. Message me if you have any questions about using it, as it's like a zillion lines of events, and each character has to be entered individually, as do any spells they learn on level up (if you want messages to appear when they learn the spells).

My curve is not actually terribly steep: I use (Level^3)/22 + 14*Level + 32. Which makes level 50 cost just under twice as much XP as level 40, and makes level 50 cost about six and a half times as much XP as level 25. But I have other systems in place to prevent people from levelling up indefinitely (such as limited resources), so it works out. If you don't have anything of the sort, a much steeper curve would be more appropriate.
I am planning a Legend of Dragoon type system... Where normal monsters give ridiculous exp but bosses are always a level up. Or two, or three. Chrono Cross has a pretty sweet system as well.

My main concern is avoid overleveling, but make the random encounters somehow worthy. Maybe make randoms drop little exp and decent money, and bosses a lot of exp and no money at all. Sounds good?
Craze
why would i heal when i could equip a morningstar
post=141680
My main concern is avoid overleveling, but make the random encounters somehow worthy. Maybe make randoms drop little exp and decent money, and bosses a lot of exp and no money at all. Sounds good?

Flip it. If you're using not-VXP, you have to make dead characters not get XP - I would make bosses give lots of money and no XP.
lol i just mindlessly watch tv while i run around and spam attacks with my game pad,yes i do die a lot but i save a lot too before i spam level.

so exp doesn't matter to me since im not really paying attention.
Craze
post=142686
If you're using not-VXP, you have to make dead characters not get XP
No you don't. You can give them the EXP manually instead of relying on the battle system. There are many ways to do this.

Still more trouble than it should be!
Craze
Calling an event after each battle to messily add XP stored in the variable at the beginning of an encounter (which must be manually calculated and adjusted) or

def display_level_up

exp = $game_troop.exp_total
for actor in $game_party.existing_members
last_level = actor.level
last_skills = actor.skills
actor.gain_exp(exp, true)
end
wait_for_message
end

to

def display_level_up

exp = $game_troop.exp_total