AND NOW I REVEAL... MY FINAL FORM! HAHAHA!

Pages: first prev 12 last
I love it when the game uses the formchange card. You know roughly what you're fighting against, but have to prepare your gameplan for new tricks. Plus it just makes the battle FEEL that much more epic.
post=145212
In Wind Waker, Ganon never changes forms, but the way the situation was set up and the music that played made it not even necessary. Though before the fight you had to fight puppet ganon... which had 3 forms...

Yeah, Puppet Ganon is right before. That's kind of the alternative. Either the one boss than transforms to more powerful or a series of related bosses.
TFT
WHOA wow wow. two tails? that is a sexy idea...
xdeath. nuff said.
post=145165
Or if Ballos only had the first form.

Imagine going through Hell just to fight Ballos with one form. I'd feel like I wasted a whole lot of my time. D:
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
post=145165
Or if Nyx only had the last form.

This would have been vastly less obnoxious.
post=145219
post=145165
Or if Nyx only had the last form.
This would have been vastly less obnoxious.

I never found the fight all that obnoxious, seeing as I beat it on the second try, and the various arcanae never took too long, even with none of the Personae that everyone uses, infact I only really needed Thor, and one of the others.

Maybe I'm just lucky, I dunno *shrug*

As for multi-form final bosses, it all depends on whether it makes sense for them to have more forms based off the storyline. But I pretty much expect it in most RPGs, whereas in other genres I won't expect it as much, like in say, FPS's for example.
well once you work up a strategy you end up doing the same thing over and over. it can start to get tiring fighting the last boss for about an hour without something there to mix it up.
i think it's as much to not bore the players as it is to make it epic. although those could be seen as the same thing i guess!

it's not necessarily needed, but it pushes the players as much as they can be in an RPG. also it gives room for that final PLOT TWIST even if it was only added in for the last boss. the directors want the last thoughts of the game to be like ..."woah!"
...(not quite sure what point im even trying to make)
My game, Path of Justice did this.

...Actually, I think most games I make tend to have a transforming final boss.
ok i almost threw my persona 3 disc out the window when i was on the last form of nyx and accidentally pushed 'rush' and for some retarded reason the rush didn't turn off

fuck persona 3

edit: WHY DOES RUSH EXIST? I only used that like, once.
For a final boss, there should be at least 2-3 forms... at most. Any more than that... then the final battle better be epic enough (with catchy music) to make you want to go through. The only game I still remember with the most forms in a fight is Wild Arms 3 and Persona 3. (WA3 was the first to have that many forms, so nyeh nyeh.)

But there is also nothing wrong with a 1 form fight too. Think of SO2, with Gabriel/Indalecio. Now that was a retardedly hard fight! And only one form, that's it! Beat that and the game is done... he even has a SUPER form... which is even deadlier. Making you want to test your full mettle, if some games had this, like giving the player the option to fight a SUPER enhanced mega form Unlimted Final Boss form or whatever, that would make an interesting challenge. BUT!!! Then again, that is also what post game bosses are for, to drive the player up the edge against the toughest of tougher than final boss enemies. A good example of that would be Valkyrie Profile... damn that Iseria Queen...
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
post=145441
ok i almost threw my persona 3 disc out the window when i was on the last form of nyx and accidentally pushed 'rush' and for some retarded reason the rush didn't turn off

fuck persona 3

You like wasting SP on cleaning up scrubs? Rush is one of the best tools you have for crawling.
Decky
I'm a dog pirate
Rules to RPG Makering:

Penultimate form must be multi-target.

Ultimate form must be a single target, unless there's a lower half or something. Ultimate form must also have the most HP of any non-optional boss, and must be one of these numbers: 4,000; 16,000; 32,768; 65,535; 99,999; 100,000; 120,000; 250,000...

Also, the antepenultimate boss should usually be the final form of a recurring boss.
post=145441

fuck persona 3

I love Rush! I love Nyx though, I thought s/he was pretty cool! I hated how bosses have sooo many forms sometimes ( I AM LOOKING AT YOU ULTIMECIA)
post=145187
Saruin form Romancing Saga: Minstrel Song comes to mind, right down to the point about the music. He only has two forms, and the first is only meant to trick you into overextending yourself or draining your resources. However, the second...the second form is one of those video game boss fights where when you beat it, it's less of "Oh gee guys what a challenging battle" and more like "OH THANK JESUS CHRIST ALMIGHTY"

This really is just about the best boss fight I've ever finished in an RPG. It's just so amazing.

... and the guitar solos ...
It pretty much is. As an added bonus, you can alternate between impending panic attacks from the difficulty of the boss and playing EXTREME AIR GUITAR with those badass guitar solos in the music.

Seriously RS2: MS is one of the few RPGs where I felt literal stress, actual blood pressure raising stress at the difficulty and the stakes of a boss battle.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
I guess I like this trope (I like most boss-related tropes) because, uh, both of my complete RPGs do this.

In Iron Gaia, Alphus is a recurring boss you fight in several forms, including a one-on-one duel fight at the end (these are both semi-separate tropes). More or less, you automatically lose to the GAIA in the beginning (yet another trope) but you must defeat it's four forms (its four aspects) at the end of the game. Actually, that idea was always going to be part of the game, going back to when I was trying to make it on PS1 RPG Maker before I even discovered RM2k. It was one of the first things I knew about the Gaia. The fights are so difficult that each form drops a crystal that fully heals the entire party. It's the only way in the game to get that crystal and you basically need to use the crystal during the next fight at a strategic time to win. Unless for some reason you power-leveled.

In Iron Gaia: Virus you fight the Chimera(-virus infected Nerakov) several times throughout the game, in a different form each time, each form caused by degenerative mutations making him more and more horribly freakish. He is one of a few recurring bosses this time (alongside the Cyborg Assassin and a powerful Delta Celestial...again, that's another trope though) but at the end you fight through several of his forms at once. While each form is more deadly than the last, each form is emphatically NOT more powerful than the last (losing HP rather than gaining them) and in the end as you hack through the last few forms in just a few hits the trauma causes him to decompose into slime right before your eyes.

In other news, KENTONA, I watched that video. The visuals are cool (for the time, I guess) but I don't see what's so cool about that boss fight. All anyone did was attack!

For a final boss, there should be at least 2-3 forms... at most.

THAT'S A PRETTY NARROW WINDOW DUDER.
I kinda hate it when bosses have a cool-looking human (or something similar to human) form but you never actually get to fight them that way because right before the fight, they morph into some huge and obnoxious demon.
Pages: first prev 12 last