CAN GAMES BE ART?

Pages: first prev 123 next last
Yellow Magic
Could I BE any more Chandler Bing from Friends (TM)?
*obligatory Okami post*
*don't forget Shadow of the Colossus and Ico post*
parp try again
Some games are art:

But not all.

KingArthur
( ̄▽ ̄)ノ De-facto operator of the unofficial RMN IRC channel.
I am not sure how to appreciate the "art" chair (if it was art, I'd take it as a type of obscure modern art), nor how practical the "art" chair would be when actually used.

The bottom chair, on the other hand, is artistic purely because of its simplicity and its practical-ness. It's a board with 4 legs attached to it, with another board for the back. What more (besides soft cushions?) could you possibly want in a chair? It's art in that there is nothing to add or take away.

Art is so subjective it isn't funny.
naa you're confusing subjectivity with dumb people
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Art is anything man-made that has beauty.

If your game is beautiful then it is art.
Solitayre
Circumstance penalty for being the bard.
Honestly, saying everything is art is the same as saying nothing is.
art is in the eye of the beholder
unfortunately
this is why a blue line on a canvas can sell for millions

edit: actually no that doesn't make sense, it's because of the artists name that it sells for millions. i dont think i can believe that anyone really thinks a blue line is deep and meaningful
I don't really care about the games-as-art debate since it usually just turns into some intolerable pedantic argument over definitions, and also because there's always a slightly creepy sense of seeking validation about it. I have no love for garbage FPS's or whatever but I don't think the alternative is to make the videogame equivalent of some awful New Yorker story about melancholy white people staring into the sunset while suffering suburban malaise, and the problem is that in trying to find an example of artistically worthwhile videogames it's easy to fall into exactly this kind of stupid binary: to make examples of games which kind of tick the boxes marked ART like minimalist graphics or stories about ~~love~~ or whatever without thinking about what they really mean. I'd rather see the videogame equivalent of Robert Crumb or somebody than some oscarbait bullshit about menopausal cancer lesbians raising autistic children during the holocaust. Basically Roger Ebert has never to my knowledge been particularly insightful or worthwhile so who gives a fuck? Quick everyone make games now before boring middlebrow people decide it's okay

Basically in general I think a more interesting argument to have isn't "are games art" but "why should we give a fuck": what is there about videogames that is actually worth exploring and that you can't get in other media. I'm kind of wary about talking about INTERACTIVITY as the primary focus of games, since it's kind of a nebulous idea anyway (is a book interactive if you read the pages at random?? isn't all art interactive in that it depends on some level of personal interpretation from the audience etc) and descends into more semantic shit about definitions. Also interactivity is not in itself a particularly interesting idea, I think. What's more important is the WAY in which games are interactive, namely the idea of videogames as exploring environments (which I think is the one thing videogames 100% have over everything else, although idk if this is actually a good thing per se). I'm too lazy to track down the links but there was some article I read once about game design as architecture which I liked a lot, and which I think is a much more interesting and productive concept than some vague bullshit about interactivity which is usually implemented in the dumbest most obvious way possible anyway (KILL BABBY SAVE BABBY THE CHOICE IS YOUS ~ every bioware game (ps in the future i predict branching storylines will be regarded with the same embarrassment as those old films which were shot entirely from a first person perspective despite the fact film doesn't work like that - "nostradamus" catamites........).

Also re. the idea that videogames are incapable of expressing the artist's viewpoint because they involve interactivity, this is kind of an oversimplification imo because in good game design the intersection of uh predetermined choices and individual agency is exactly what should be used to make a point.
A GOOD QUOTE from the book "Life: A Users Manual" (ggood book..)

From this, one can make a deduction which is quite certainly the ultimate truth of jigsaw puzzles: despite appearances, puzzling is not a solitary game: every move the puzzler makes, the puzzle-maker has made before; every piece the puzzler picks up, and picks up again, and studies and strokes, every combination he tries, and tries a second time, every blunder and every insight, each hope and each discouragement, have all been designed, calculated, and decided by the other.

Basically what I'm saying is good game design (or puzzle-making, in the terms of the passage above) is almost a DIALOGUE in the subtle combinations, the give and take, between player and designer: individual agency as channeled through a specific set of tools and carefully- almost invisibly- guided by the construction of the space itself so as to provide an aesthetic experience. Poetry as combinatorics! el diablo juegas.......
words words words! "if you don't like my shit/ you can suck my dick" - marshall mathers aka eminem
Games are toys. Rodger, I don't care what you say, I have to sit there and draw all the effen textures, characters, concept art, compose music, and sound effects. This makes them art if anyone ever knew art. I have to follow all the rules that any artist would use to make something look at least tolerable at worst and beautiful at best.

I might dislike the fact that big companies fall into that trap of making a game look very good and forget that it kind of needs gameplay, but they spend a pretty penny for it. Of course if you're making a very primitive video game, you don't have so much artwork to do. I spend most of my time ensuring the gameplay is nice and solid, but I still have to do art since I make conventional video games.

Aristocratic experts on art vomit all over the place and they'd wish I be doomed eternally. Forever french-frying, you'd love to see me dying. Who's let the peacock into the opera house, rock the house. You'd love to see me French-fried and you'd love to see me fired and then kill Judas in the opera house, opera house.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
Wolfcoder, is that EDGUY? I know nothing about them except that they randomly came on the Pandora I had made for working on To Arms! and I looked up their lyrics and they are fucking ridiculous.

But I don't think the alternative is to make the videogame equivalent of some awful New Yorker story about melancholy white people staring into the sunset while suffering suburban malaise

Thanks for reminding me why I hate all mainstream/literary fiction by default.
post=148223
Wolfcoder, is that EDGUY?...

Oh hell yes
Judas at the Opera

This song is the answer to any "is this art?" question. Especially if it's an answer to an artistically arrogant person.

Thanks for reminding me why I hate all mainstream/literary fiction by default.

Someday I might want to have your children.
I have to follow all the rules that any artist would use to make something look at least tolerable at worst and beautiful at best.

critical system failure
...The text in the first page (in the link) quite... Disgusted me.
I mean, our games already ARE art. They DO evoke emotions, and in fact, they SUCCEED in evoking the artist's world. (or copyworld.)

You CAN compare game soundtrack to classic music. It's almost as majestic, if not more...
Proof? >:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUBemsz3qHs

About visual art, the video game world is made ONLY of visual art. NOT A THING ELSE. Since ANY depiction of ANYTHING is art. A Line is art. A rifle in a completely obnoxious 3D shooter IS, yes, art. (Not really valuable art, tough)

And emotionally, the games really can touch me, and I believe they can do so to anyone. Seriously. From crying to Palom and Porom's death, to the soul soothing confered by the opening scene of Valkyrie Profile ("How... Nostalgic"), to the adventurous fear in Chrono Trigger, it's all really touching.

BUT we're talking about RPGs here, mainly.

PS: Sorry for my bad english, and also, sorry for not reading all of the posts, my eyes are bleeding, almost, lol.
Pages: first prev 123 next last