HMM WHAT DOES THIS SAY..

Pages: first 12 next last
I've been playing FF7 recently, haven't played in it in a few years and hell is this game a cake walk or what. I mean.. Is this what good RPG's are made of? Eh, I dunno. All I can say is that comparatively Bottumswell was more comparitively hard than most of the bosses of the game.. (face palm)

I'm not trying to give FF7 any stick but seeing as it's being hailed as one of best RPG games ever created would it have been as popular if it were a little bit more diffucult?
WIP
I'm not comfortable with any idea that can't be expressed in the form of men's jewelry
It is many things but "hard" and "one of the best RPG games ever created" are not among them.
Maybe the nostalgia factor. I played it for the first time last year and was underwhelmed. The backgrounds were nice, but the dialogue was pretty awful from what I can remember. I think I pretty much got through the game just spamming my most powerful attacks as well.

FF7's been discussed to death though and it's probably just best to let it lie, preferably in a very deep grave.
Just because a game isn't difficult doesn't mean it's not worthy of praise (Mother 3 for me was a cakewalk, and it rains as my favorite RPG ever). Granted I've never played FFVII and I personally think its hype is unjustified (simply because I'm annoyed as hell over it, although I really have no room to talk since I haven't beaten it.)
I guess it all depends on your preference. Just because some people say it's the best game ever doesn't mean you will as well (Plus the game I think is like 10+ years old, so I guess people had different difficulty standards then).
It is pretty meh. I have yet to get past the part with Red X joining your party. That stupid tower was almost as bad as the FFXII no map area. Almost. In the sense that a knife to the leg is almost like a spike stabbing you repeatedly in the nads for four hours straight. If death didn't overcome you first.
The Shinra building? Are you kidding? The Shinra building was a breeze.
I think you misread my metaphor. FFVII was the knife to the leg.
The game isn't that bad. Especially if you didn't make it past the first 10%. It's not as great as people say it is but its nowhere near as bad, either. If nothing else it's a solid RPG.
I think for the new hip generation of youngster's who all wanted to have a playstation back in the day..
it was thier first final fantasy (also helped to be in three dimensions) and they regarded it as the best.
However because of this personal philosophy I will always consider ff9 the best :P
Same here, Star. Which makes it ironic that I haven't beaten it yet.
Well it was also the first rpg I ever played! And it took me three years to complete.. reason being I couldnt beat the second of the black waltz (I was age 11 at the time) so I just laid it to rest. 3 years later I thought to myself over a cup of coffee.. wait I can simply level up! So yep went and beated it after that. stupid true story.
So yeah back to ff7! BEST GAME EVVVVVEEEEERRR
post=152156
Well it was also the first rpg I ever played! And it took me three years to complete.. reason being I couldnt beat the second of the black waltz (I was age 11 at the time) so I just laid it to rest. 3 years later I thought to myself over a cup of coffee.. wait I can simply level up! So yep went and beated it after that. stupid true story.
So yeah back to ff7! BEST GAME EVVVVVEEEEERRR

That sounds a lot like my experience with Quest 64, except even I'll admit that FFVII is better then that game.
who drinks coffee at 14?

Also, Dragon Warrior is the best RPG game evvvvverrr by that logic. (it was the first I played)
post=152173
who drinks coffee at 14?

Just some guy, you know
Final Fantasy 6 = Best RPG ever in my opinion :D The music is legendary..
who drinks coffee at 14?

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought that was odd.

On topic, I think one of the main draws to FF7 was that it was the first one not released on a Nintendo system. This of course meant that we were exposed to mature subject matter that would have been lost in translation, due to Nintendo of America's censorship policies.
post=152205
On topic, I think one of the main draws to FF7 was that it was the first one not released on a Nintendo system. This of course meant that we were exposed to mature subject matter that would have been lost in translation, due to Nintendo of America's censorship policies.

For me, it was because it's demo was packaged with the Playstation back then and I thought it was pretty fun. If it wasn't for the demo, I probably wouldn't have bought it really.
post=152136
I'm not trying to give FF7 any stick but seeing as it's being hailed as one of best RPG games ever created would it have been as popular if it were a little bit more diffucult?

Probably not. Most people like to be able to beat games. If a game punishes you over and over you'll just play another game instead.

FF7 was a game of its time. It hasn't aged well. Or at least that's what I think because I haven't played it since that one time. But I look at screenshots and it hasn't aged well :) Like most PS1 era games actually.
Final Fantasy 7 was indeed a solid RPG. But I rather not call it the BEST RPG. It has it's downfalls too. One thing that I don't get is why the game is so popular. I mean, is it Vincent that makes it popular? Or the fact that Cloud is a blond spiky haired guy?

Final Fantasy 5 > Final Fantasy 7.
I wouldn't call FF7 a solid RPG if you mean that in terms of game play that is.. All the battles consist of is nuking the enemy group with your most powerful magic. As soon as you get into Tier 3 of the Elemental Materia's (Fire 3, Ice 3, what have you) pretty much all your normally encountered monsters tremble at your feet.

Eh, I think that'll be enough FF7 bashing for me for today.
Pages: first 12 next last