RM2K3: HOW EXACTLY DOES THE AGILITY STAT WORK?

Pages: 1
I've heard several different accounts on how this stat works.

The most common is that Agility "overflows" at 256

I've also heard that Agility is relative. Implying that an enemy with 100 speed vs. a character with 108 speed will act with the same frequency as a monster with 4 speed attacking that same character.

Which one of these is true? Or is something else entirely different true?
It's nut twisting. The rate an individual combatant's ATB fills is based on their agility compared against all other combatant's agility. 500 Agility means the same as 15 Agility when all combatants have similar agility scores. The number of combatants affects the rate the ATB fills for all party members: The ATB speed of all characters is inversely proportional to the number of combatants.

It's been a while since I've cared so I might be off with some parts.
The most accurate and concise explanation:
It works like molasses covered snail shit.
Max McGee
with sorrow down past the fence
It doesn't.

*rimshot*
Here's a simple explanation:

If your party has high total agility, and your enemies have low total agility, your ATB gauge moves faster. If you both have close to an equal amount, you'll both move roughly the same. If your enemies have more total agility than your party, you move like shit while your enemies gang-rape you with multiple turns in a row.
What I'm doing is using 100 is the base number. An average character or enemy has 100. A fast flying enemy has 120 and a slow heavily armored knight has 90.

Is this workable?
Depends on how many people you use in your party.
Magi
Resident Terrapin
post=155993
What I'm doing is using 100 is the base number. An average character or enemy has 100. A fast flying enemy has 120 and a slow heavily armored knight has 90.

Is this workable?
GRS has already stated it pretty much "isn't" workable in the sense most people would want t to. It is preferable to have static agility stats though so that is better than nothing.
Static agility stats are pretty much the only way to go. A range of 90 to 120 is a good range to work with, but test it a lot.

I've worked with ranges from 50-75 in the past, and it worked pretty good.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
As best I can tell, here's how agility seemed to work based on my testing:

- If character A has twice as much agility as character B, character A will get turns twice as often.
- The overall battle speed will either slow down or speed up based on the total number of party members + enemies. If there are more battlers, then the overall battle speed will be slower. This doesn't actually affect combat balance at all, it just speeds everything up evenly. (This rule is actually just a side-effect of the next rule...)
- Similarly, the overall battle speed will either slow down or speed up based on the total combined agility of all party members + allies. If the total combined agility is higher, then the overall battle speed will be slower. Similar to above, this doesn't actually affect combat balance at all, it just speeds everything up evenly.
- The end result of the above rules is that there will always be approximately the same total number of turns per minute.
- I did not test for an effective cap of 256, but it's certainly possible. If this cap exists, it is a cap per character, not a cap on the total combined agility.
Pages: 1