ERROR WHEN TESTING MY OWN GAME

Pages: 1
I really hope one of you can help me with this.
Every time I try testing my game an error message is displayed.
Unfortunatly all it says is "????????????" so I have no clue what went wrong, it worked hundreds of times before with the same game and I didn't change anything but the usual map,event,etc. stuff.
What ever I tried, it did not work.
Please help me out.
Thanks in advance
Ah,sorry I forgot, it's the RpgMaker 2003.
It's coming out as a mass of question marks probably because that error message was not translated in the RPG Maker that you're using.

What exactly did you change? Was it something in your database, or in the map that you start on? Unfortunately, without a translation, we don't really know what is going on with your game. =|

Have you tried testing with a translated version of RPG_RT?
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
My first guess is that you deleted one of the resources that your game is using. Maybe you deleted a graphic or sound file that you didn't think your game used, but it actually does somewhere. In that case you need to add the resource back into the game, or else change or remove the part of your game that uses it.

If this error pops up as soon as the game starts, then the sound or graphic is one you use in the database somewhere, rather than one you use in an event. The most overlooked culprits are the System and System2 tabs of your game - a vehicle graphic, or a default sound effect. Even if your game doesn't use that vehicle.

There's a program called RMTool that can tell you all the files you're using but don't have imported, as well as all the files you have imported but aren't using. You should probably track it down to make your life simpler.
@LockeZ: You were more or less right: According to the RM Tool, there are 93 datas missing.
I checked a couple of folders and noticed that, for some reason, all the battle animation stuff from the folder "Battle 2" is gone, but the folder is still there. I don't know how that happend, but I guess getting this data back wont be very hard, but there's still another problem: It tells me that, for example the "Jack o-Lantern" is missing. I checked "Monster" and there it was.
Same thing goes for some other monsters, a lot of sounds and a face-set.
When I try to import those things, all of them fail.
I don't know, maybe it's because I don't really know how to use the RM Tool, I thought I'd have to select one or more directories(I didn't really know what exactly I should chose as one, so I just tried a couple of folders)
then tell the RM Tool to import it all.

Anyway, as you said the System might actually be the problem, because I allegedly do not have "Title1".
So how can I make this work?
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
Well okay, you have the RTP installed, right? Your game probably uses a lot of RTP files. These are the graphic and sound files that come with RPG Maker. You don't have to import these RTP files into your game, as long as the RTP is installed. But importing them all will probably make your life a little easier, and will also let you distribute your game to people who don't have the RTP installed. So here's how to do that.

- Find the RTP folder. It's probably C:\Program Files\Enterbrain\RPG2003\RTP
- Make a copy of it.
- Copy and paste your entire game into the copy of the RTP folder. Overwrite any files that already exist.
- Done! This is now your game folder.

Now you can open that folder as a game in RPG Maker 2003. It's your game, the same as before, but with all the RTP files imported. If it still errors, run RMTool and see if it still says you're missing anything.
This will also occur if you change the name of any resources.
Okay, I copied the Rtp folder and pasted a copy of my entire project into it. As you said, "Rtp" is now an exact copy of the original game, so far so good.
Unfortunatly there is still a "???????" error popping up when starting it, I didn't know if it was the same error or just another one that hasn't been translated, so I checked the RT with RM Tool, I tried checking it, that is.
As soon as the RM Tool begins to scan "project directories" another error occurs and tells me that the program had to be shut down
Maybe it's just because I'm new with the RPG Maker, but I, as so many times before, don't know how to fix this..
LockeZ
RM Tool didn't crash before, but does now? Wow. I got nothing left.

Try uploading your game to Megaupload or something and posting a link to it in this topic. I'm out of things to tell you to try. Maybe if I can see the game, something will stand out as obviously problematic to me. (If you still have it, upload the version that doesn't include all the RTP files. I have those already, and they are big files that take up a good chunk of megabytes. But no big deal either way.)
Did you delete anything from the database? That can sometimes call an error if an event calls a battle animation or something. If so, try increasing the amount of items/skills/animation/etc to about 500.
Um, did you try using a translated RPG_RT from RPG Advocate's patch? No matter which runtime you use, it should still intercept the same error code as the one you are currently using is receiving. Doing that will help us greatly.

Most RPG-2003 games on this site should have Advocate's runtime I think.
LockeZ
post=201987
Did you delete anything from the database? That can sometimes call an error if an event calls a battle animation or something. If so, try increasing the amount of items/skills/animation/etc to about 500.

I don't think this is it, because the game crashes as soon as it starts. If an event caused it, the game wouldn't crash until it got to the event. The problem has to be in the database. Though I guess it could be in an event that starts automatically as soon as you begin the game, if there is such an event. (Check common events also.)
The ???????? error can also often be caused by database maximum number changes, like Liberty said. I you are able to get into your database, try increasing the maximum number of possible items/skill et cetera to 500 or 1000, also like Liberty said. This way, if some map or event is calling an item/skill from the database it won't cause an error.

I am guessing this error is caused by RTP files being missing, though.

Did you copy your game into the RTP folder, or the other way around? As a temporary fix, I'd suggest backing up your entire project folder (always a good idea) then copying the RTP folders into your project folder. This will causes the size of the game to go way up, but if you match the folders correctly (ie the RTP music is copied into your project music folder) then the entire RTP will available to your game. Of course, if some of the files from the RTP were deleted, then that might be the root of the problem. RMTool might generate an error if it finds strange things in the RTP directly or if your game's database is corrupt (as it can't open it to determine which files are called for).

As a final measure, try this: Copy your project folder (always have a backup before doing anything), then open Rm2k3 and create a new project (a blank project). Close Rm2k3. Then, copy the entire contents of your project folder (just open your project folder and select everything in it) into the Project1 (the new, blank project) folder. Then, try to open it. Sometimes, unexplained errors will prevent Rm2k3 from opening certain files or recognizing them. Creating a new folder has, in the distant past, helped me to bypass them.

This will effectively give you back your project (if it works) with a new folder name and a new game name (both of which can be changed any time). Good luck.
First of all, thank you, all of you for trying to help me out, but I now have almost finished re-making the game as far as I've come the first time.
(The error occured for the first time as I finished the first chapter, it still was a lot of work, even with copying the maps...)
So just forget about the starting error for now, because there is another thing I'd like to know.
Is it possible to copy the database of one project into another? I know this might cause the same error all over again, but if it worked I could continue as if nothing had happend.
Create a backup of your working version first in case it does screw it over, then try it out.
LockeZ
All at once? There's almost a 100% chance it would get the same error, but it would be pretty fast so I guess you could try it. Just copy and paste the RPG_RT.ldb file, that file is your database.

A way that's a little more likely to actually work might be to copy it page by page. For instance, on the character's tab, you can right-click on the first character and choose "multi-copy" and it'll let you copy all the characters at once. Then you can go into your other game and paste them. You can do this for most of the tabs.

Either way, like Liberty said, make a backup first. There's no undo button for the database, and it saves automatically as soon as you hit OK or Apply. If you paste over your working stuff and it errors again, you're back to square one unless you made a backup copy.
Great news, everyone!
I followed the instructions of LockeZ by copying the database one tab at a time.
Since I wanted to find out which part of the database is messed up, I decided to test the game after each paste.
Didn't take long: Right after pasting the characters I got the error: ????(lots of random numbers)???.
By looking at those numbers I instantly rememberd them(don't know why):
A character called "Narrator", who is completly invisible and whom I used in the intro to make the screen scroll while the text is shown(I couldn't find another way to do that in 2k3), used a black face-set which's name was the random number between the "?".
Since you never see the Narrator's face anyway, I just changed it into a sheep et voilá: It's all working now.

So, thanks to all of you. I really must say, you're the most helpful community I've ever seen, honestly.
Pages: 1