WHICH CAME FIRST: THE STORY OR THE GAMEPLAY?

Pages: first 12 next last
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
People write music in various orders. Some hear a few chords and pull a song and lyrics out of it, some start with lyrics and a story and just create music for it. There's no one perfect way to write a song.

What inspires you to start a game: A good storyline that you created, or a good idea for gameplay?

Now, seeing as this is a primarily RPG-based site, and RPGs are often very heavy in storyline compared to other games (as opposed to puzzle or sports games, or even many action games), I would not be surprised to hear that many people started with an idea for a story. That's how my current project began - it spawned from a sprawling story I began writing in my head at fourteen that I felt compelled to tell in some medium. I started with the story, and followed up by trying out some new, potentially exciting battle systems so the player would enjoy the gameplay as well.

On the other hand, the games on this site often try to draw people in with their unique gameplay, and I wouldn't be surprised if several games spawned solely because the author thought of a cool battle engine. A project I'm doing for a Flash class (a retro-dungeon-crawler) evolved solely from gameplay (mostly because I don't know flash and am trying to be realistic).

So how did your game start? Do you always start your games the same way? Does one feel more right than the other? Or did something completely different inspire your game, like a soundtrack or a quote?
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
My previous project began with a story, and the gameplay was built around it. The result was that the gameplay was pretty lacking, because it wasn't the focus.

For my next project, now that I actually know a lot about game design, I want to start with a gameplay idea, and build a game around that, with story as a secondary concern. However, I feel like if I focus my energy like that, then the story will end up noticably lacking. I only have so much energy and drive and time to spread around to the different aspects of game design, and if I start to focus on something, then it takes over my mindset.

So what I'm going to do is reuse the story from my previous game, with some changes to fix the major problems that arose (like the poorly-defined setting and the two pointless stock characters). I'm not sure if this is a clever solution or one that will turn people off. But it seems like the easiest way to get a good, original story into my game without actually focusing on it and without hiring a writer.
This varies for me...
My Metal Gear Solid game evolved from the thought of what a Metal Gear/The Legend of Zelda gameplay-hybrid would turn out like.
The story was built into it after.

Then there's this story script that I actively wrote and I thought I should try to turn into a game.
However, that project became to immense. There's was just too much to work on than I realized,
so I abandoned it.

To be honest, I'm not much for immense game projects. There's to much resources needed to put in them, so I mostly just make small games with interesting concepts. However, the MGS game grew quite large(larger than I expected) and I am hoping to actually finish it completely.
Gameplay. In all successful games in the industry, gameplay always comes first. In FPS they do gameplay first with multiplayer to make sure its fun before they make a 1st person campaign. Mario makes the levels first before the world maps.
LEECH
who am i and how did i get in here
Mine started with a story that i thought up, a really good story that turned to crap by the time i got to the computer... ):
Which came first: The Story or the Gameplay?

Gameplay

Didn't even have to read the opening post.
In my actual projects i use both. I try to that gameplay and history are fully and nicely merged.

Anyway i never created nothing with the idea in mind first; what im talking is that my creative process is based in improvitzation. Example:

My Metal Gear Solid game evolved from the thought of what a Metal Gear/The Legend of Zelda gameplay-hybrid would turn out like.
The story was built into it after.

I never do something like this,xD. I have only one project that starts with the idea that 'i want to talk about X or do Y'...

I just create one little thing here and there, and all the thing grows but without a fixed way... normally i discover the main theme of the project when a lot of time have passed.
Gameplay definitely came first!
LouisCyphre
can't make a bad game if you don't finish any games
Define gameplay.
This varies for me. Two games I'm working on began as gameplay ideas, while another was first a story. It really depends.
post=209658
Define gameplay.

OK Socrates, it's the part of the game you play.
Kind of a mix.

But if had to choose one, I'd choose story though, for my works. Mostly because if I get lazy I can always come back and read the story again.
I always start with story before gameplay. After I know the story I can determine what gameplay I need to do for things like features and all those things.

of course once the maths come in <A< *brrr*
It varies but most of the time I start with "theme" which probably is story. Sort of. I'll throw out a couple of examples of games I never made.

One was a slave trading game where you would be capturing slaves in Africa and then ship them over to the Americas for fun and profit. The theme came first in this case and I did have some mechanics (this was a board game and I was inspired by some "discover America" board game).

Another one is my "Ten Days of Knight" thing where I got the idea of being a lord in charge of a county during a feodal era (so still under a king), this was inspired by a Three Moves Ahead podcast where they talked about something very similar to this. I then started working on how it would work mechanically.

Then there's the opposites contest game idea I had for a WW2 setting where one side would be a nazi hunting a jew and the other would be the jew trying to hide. Then I started thinking about how to portray this in a single-player fashion.

And for the Scary Movie contest my initial impression was "Jaws fishing simulator" but I didn't really get any further than that.

So if this topic was "What came first: The Theme or the Mechanics?" then I'd go with theme.
slash
APATHY IS FOR COWARDS
Gameplay = Mechanics = the parts of the game that are controlled by the player, and usually result in tangible, non-lore-based rewards. Most "systems" fall under gameplay, including Battle Systems, Item Systems, Menu Systems, Alchemy Systems, Sprint Systems, puzzles, dungeons, bosses, etc.

Story = Theme = includes everything involving the plot, the purpose, the reason, the motive, the non-explanatory dialogue, the characters, etc.
There we go, because I knew someone would ask eventually :P

I'm kind of surprised how many people said gameplay. I agree that most FPS, Action, and Sports game were probably started with gameplay in mind, but I wouldn't be surprised if several mainstream RPGs started with a unrefined story and had gameplay elements added in later. It could be a coin-toss.

Just to clarify - I wasn't asking what you consider more important to a good game (it's been done), but what inspired you to start making your game in the first place. I love my story and it's why I started, but recently I've realized I'll need solid gameplay to hold it up.
Come to think of it I was probably wrong in the "Ten Days of Knight" example. In that one the mechanics did come first. I thought about a game where you'd play some kind of lord ruling over something but also under a king. Now this may sound exactly like... the theme. But this theme could have been anything really. It didn't have to be a medieval thing.

Another one is my real time war strategy idea. That one was built around the concept of being a guy in a tent during a battle giving out orders and then hoping that everything was going to work out. It's kind of a mechanic. Since as theme, you'd have war. But there's different kind of wars. There could be WW2 where you sit in your tent talking on the radio, giving orders that way. It could be some kind of earlier war (19th century maybe) where you sit in your tent and dispatch couriers with orders and hope they get there in time. It could even be some kind of futuristic thing where you sit in your spaceship and give your orders through something else.

You could say that in both these though theme was also first. It was "ruling as a lord" and "being a war leader". Neither of those are really stories though.

Another thing I never made was an ice hockey card game. The ice hockey came first (theme) but I also knew that it had to have a card game mechanic (because I was inspired by a football card game, and basically wanted to convert that into ice hockey terms somehow)

So you could say that when you decide to make an RPG you automatically put mechanics first ("this is going to be an RPG" implies mechanics). If you start with "This is going to be a fantasy game... let's see... hmm RPG seems like a good idea", then you could say you started with the theme.
Oh God my ideas how they mutate

Parallel was originally just based on a guy getting zapped into a world full of ghosts that were friendly, however I mentally assumed it was an RPG. Then I started thinking of switching between the 2 worlds at will, and kind of exploring an alien terrain. Then I played Phoenix Wright and Professor Layton and wanted to make a mystery game. The 2 ideas started crossing over and I decided it would be a fantasy murder mystery RPG(although the dump release shows only the fantasy and the RPG bits, unfortunately). After that I spent months plotting and building characters and such in my head. So where do you say that started? I made up gameplay around the story and story around the gameplay, and webbed it all together in my own fashion. Trying to say I did one before the other is inane.
Hmm...at first I thought about gameplay that comes first in RPGs...in the sense of old school RPGs. But now I think about it again, even old school RPGs do start with a simple story intro first before going into the gameplay elements (think FF1)

So while the RPGs of the past tend to be more gameplay-oriented than story-oriented, most of them too start with story rather than gameplay first.
Both, depend on the mood and the idea that pop up at that time.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
post=209795
Hmm...at first I thought about gameplay that comes first in RPGs...in the sense of old school RPGs. But now I think about it again, even old school RPGs do start with a simple story intro first before going into the gameplay elements (think FF1)

So while the RPGs of the past tend to be more gameplay-oriented than story-oriented, most of them too start with story rather than gameplay first.

I'm pretty sure we're talking about which one is designed first, not which one the player sees first.
Pages: first 12 next last