HELP WITH CLASS SWITCHING IN RPG MAKER 2003

Pages: 1
Hello everyone,

I am working on a single character rpg mostly as a learning tool but I can't seem to figure one thing out.

I am trying to allow the character to switch between 3 different classes during battle. I have created:

3 skills set to switches (One for each class)
1 battle event for the enemy group I am testing the process in that calls 1 of:
3 common events to change class that include a turn switch off clause at the end. (one for each class)

Each of the 3 classes has the appropriate skills to switch to the other classes starting at level 1.

THE PROBLEM: I can't find the skills to use in battle. I assume I have done something wrong but I don't know what it is. :( I would be very appreciative of someone who can help me figure the rest of this out.
Versalia
must be all that rtp in your diet
Your skills are either set to one of the "Subskill" menu options that you don't have, or you have a "Subskill" menu option that they are not set to. Make sure your acting hero's skill command is "Skill" type, not "Skill Subset" or whatever.
Hmmm... I think I still need a bit of help. I have the skills set to switch. I am not sure what this "subskill" vs "skill" stuff means. I apologize for my ignorance, I will freely admit to being a noob. :( Can you perhaps tell me how to set the skills the way you mean?
Versalia
must be all that rtp in your diet
In the Database, under Skills, every Skill has a "Type." These are Normal, Switch, etc. In "System", you can set up different Menu commands. Each menu command has a "Type." These are Attack, Defend, Skill, Skill Subset, Link to Battle Event (never use), etc.

All "Normal" and "Switch" type skills will always appear under "Skill" type menu commands only. If you set them to a subset type - for example, you made a menu command called "Witchcraft" for your Witch, that is a 'Skill Subset' type of menu command - they will show up under that Subset Command but ALSO under any normal Skills command.

Basically, "Skills" = every spell on your list.
"Skill Subset" = every spell set to that subset command.

edit: if someone can be more concise, please feel free
Versalia,

Thank you so much! That did the trick. The skills show up for my hero in a "change" battle skill option. And selecting those skills switches the class. There is one problem though. It seems to have some sort of strange delay so that the class change doesn't occur until after the next turn in combat. Is there some way to ensure the switch is done immediately? (Or close to?)

edit: actually it seems to only go into effect after I use the "change" battle command again. If I use anyother ability the class remains unchanged until I use a "change" ability again. Then the class I chose the first time goes into effect. This suggests to me that something at the beginning of the event is needed to trigger the whole effect, but what it is I can't seem understand.
I thought it might be helpful if I posted the specifics of my change class system.

Battle Event
Page 1
Trigger: Wraith ON
Call Common Event Change to Wraith

Page 2
Trigger: Reaper ON
Call Common Event Change to Reaper

Page 3
Trigger: Blood Mage ON
Call Common Event Change to Blood Mage

Common Events
Change to Wraith
Change class:Lore Wraith Lv:Same Skill:To Level Ability:As level
Change Switch: Wraith OFF

Change to Reaper
Change class: Lore Reaper Lv:Same Skill:To Level Ability:As level
Change Switch: Reaper OFF

Change to Blood Mage
Change class: Lore Blood Mage Lv:Same Skill:To Level Ability:As level
Change Switch: Blood Mage OFF

Skills
Wraith Classification:Switch Wraith ON Available in Battle
Reaper Classification:Switch Reaper ON Available in Battle
Blood Mage Classification:Switch Blood Mage ON Available in Battle
Decky
I'm a dog pirate
Try battle commands instead of skills that trigger switches. Either that, or have a giant turn 1x event that has conditional branches (if X switch is on and stuff). You can have a single battle command link to an option to use one of the class changers.

Also, just a heads up: there is one annoying bug with 2k3 that seems to happen with all sub-commands: it may repeat a few times during battle. I don't think anyone has figured out why this happens, but it occurs occasionally in Hero's Realm, The Encephalon, and a few others.
AHA! Using a battle command instead of a skill did the trick. I had to make a skill that did nothing though so that there was something to select. Then a choice window appears and the player chooses the class. It's not quite as convenient a way to do it but it works perfectly! I don't really understand why it doesn't work the other way but as long as it works I guess! Thank you all so much for your help. :) I owe you.
Pages: 1