RPG MAKER 2003 ITEM CLASSIFICATION NOOB QUESTION

Pages: 1
I am working in RPG maker 2003 and have noticed that some things don't necessarily work the way they immediately seem like they would. SO... I was wondering if someone could please give me the run down on the different types of items.

More specifically...
What can be done with "Other" items?
What does "Material" do?
What is "Unique" about?
How exactly does the item as "Switch" work?
And what would I use to make an item give a TEMPORARY stat boost to a character?
Versalia
must be all that rtp in your diet
Switch items toggle a switch when you use them. (For example, you could use them to toggle a Common Event Parallel Process on or off - like a Stopwatch that freezes the day and night system).

The other ones I could explain if I had the engine handy. I KNOW I KNOW THIS ARRGH. But "other" or "unique" items, one of the two I am pretty sure, are just a useless generic item type for stuff (like many many many games have "Key Items" that do nothing but have plot significance).
I think you must be using a different version or translation of rm2k3 to me because most of those terms seem... Not there on mine. I have "common item" which is basically any generic item with no in-menu or in-battle use.

Switch items activate a switch operation (turn a switch on or off) when they're used.
Hmmm... I did not know there were more than one translation... This does make things difficult. Ok. The options for classification for making items for me are as follows:

Common goods
Arms
Shield
Armor
Helmet
Other
Medicine
Book
Material
Unique
Switch

@Versalia
So the use of a Switch item just changes a switch? I see. So instead of using an event to change a switch like normal you can give more player control to it. Perfect. Thank you so much. :)
Switch - It may be something that calls an event during battle or on the field. The've been explained.
Unique - Use a skill during battle. They're like scrolls used in battle or things like shuriken. Damage items.
Material - Stat gain. Basically +/- stat growth by using the item. If you put a - infront of the number it can decrease stats too.
Other - accessories and stuff that you can equip.

As to your other question - I think using a Unique and having it linked to a buff skill would work. For example - Wall - Linked to the Wall spell that boosts your defences for 10 turns.
AHA!

@Liberty
Thank you so much! Those last four were the ones I was most confused about. The others are fairly straight forward. The "Unique" Item does look like what I needed. Though I don't know I would have guessed that from the name. And I see now what material does too. Thank you.

NEW QUESTION: If there are different translation versions would it behoove me to get a specific one for help topics like this? Or are they generally similar enough that it won't be too much of a problem?
I have
"Seed"
&
"Skill Scroll"

Instead of Material & Unique. Translation differences have rarely come up around here. Probably because the help file on your version of 2k3 should use the terminology that your 2k3 uses so.. It should all be gravy given enough time to familiarize yourself with the engine :).

On a weird note.. I have had instances of the terminology in my RM to change at times (I think this is because I've had RM2k3 multiple times and the RPG_RT is different in the projects from years ago because my RM2k3 was slightly different then.) - All the spells and skills changed names, and I think the item classifications did too :/
See the big problem is I don't have a help file for my version of 2k3. I don't know if it just doesn't have one or if it is because I am on windows vista... But it sucks. I have pretty much had to guess at all the little things or feel like an idiot and ask online. :(
Don't worry about asking questions matey. That's what this forum's for.. I've learned a LOT about rm since joining this site. A LOT more than I did when I started. Shame about the help file because it actually is really helpful (especially with the awkward translations and backwards and bodged semantics in 2k3).

Once you get thinking in Enterbrain's weird, broken logic, everything starts to make sense :P
author=NewBlack
Once you get thinking in Enterbrain's weird, broken logic, everything starts to make sense :P

But will I still be able to function in the real world? lol.
author=Hoddmimir
author=NewBlack
But will I still be able to function in the real world? lol.
sadly, no.
Pages: 1