THE SCREENSHOT TOPIC RETURNS

Tau
RMN sex symbol

Just bored really.
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!

How's this as a revision? I resized the floor and walls, did some color correction to reduce the contrast so they didn't overpower the sprites, fixed the exit sign, added banisters to the stairs, and added the antagonist sprite. (There at the bottom right.)
I think the floor texture is still too overpowering. =/ I'd take one or two colors away from it, or just make the tones subtler. Other than that, I think the bricks are the appropriate size now... Althought, isn't this station a bit too tall? Most subway stations I've seen are are roughly twice the size of a person. This one is several meters high (unless is for one of those double-decker trains?). =P
Sooz
They told me I was mad when I said I was going to create a spidertable. Who’s laughing now!!!
I was on the fence about the floor. It's not too difficult to fix, so that's cool.

Yeah, the height is a bit much, now that you mention it! That should be super-easy as well, so yay there.

Now I just need to make the intro and I'll have the beginning done!

Hisao's (unfinished) hospital room. The basics are done.

Still need to add:
- hospital stuff
- a lamp beside the bed
- details/stuff on the table
- private belongings in the corner before the bed
- a few pictures on the wall
- a window or two
- a small lamp above the bathroom door

Any tips on how to create a more hospital-like atmosphere...?

@Sooz: Looks way better than before! The right side of the wall looks a bit empty, though. Maybe add a graffitti or two, just like you did on the left side?
Sooz
That was partly to isolate the puppy lady and make her the most important visual element there, though I definitely see the issue. I'll work with that while I'm noodling around with the rest.
author=Schwer something European...
Still need to add:
- hospital stuff
- a lamp beside the bed
- details/stuff on the table
- private belongings in the corner before the bed
- a few pictures on the wall
- a window or two
- a small lamp above the bathroom door

Any tips on how to create a more hospital-like atmosphere...?

Woa... That hospital room is a lot bigger than the one I did last year. Maybe see if you can cut the size down just a little bit. You could add some sort of desk with computer or IV machine, or a blood transfusion stand, or maybe a sofa with that table. Having one picture is probably enough, I would replace the other one with an air conditioner.

Beside, doesn't it look a little too dark? Just my opinions. :D
@Mr_Detective: Yeah, it's quite a big hospital room. The others won't be that big, but Hisao's room is an exception since he's been there 1/3 of his entire life. It's his second home, more or less. Since there are many things left to add (a blood transfusion stand sounds wonderful, btw) the open space of the room will shrink down immensely. A sofa would be nice, I'm going to add that. As well as a carpet, I guess. The open space before the bed won't be open anymore once I added all the little details - I think that will shrink the room down nicely. Thanks for the ideas! :D

Oh, it's supposed to be that dark! Since it's a horror game I am going for a dull and dark atmosphere - don't worry, the characters will have mobile phones etc. to make a steady light around them. I will implement a day and night system and want the nights to be really dark... And since it's in the middle of the night when Hisao awakens in his bed, it's only fitting to make the rest of the room really dark. It won't be that crazy dark everywhere, though. =)
Doesnt look like a hospital room at all. Looks like a living room of a recently moved into apartment, at best.

First, floor tile. Looks like some kind of hardwood floor, but even as hardwood goes that tile is ugly. I'd go with an actual TILE floor, not hardwood or carpet but some kind of light tile.

Next stop, the bed with the wooden bedframe. I've never seen a hospital bed with a wooden frame, replace this with an actual hospital bed.

In fact, wherever you have wood I would replace it with plastic or something lighter in color.

White. sterile environment screen hospital. This just looks like a generic room as is.

Also yeah its way too big.

ps. use black to act as the "roof"/negative space of the map. It just looks weird the room being surrounded by white space.
@Dookie: Don't expect it to look like a hospital when it is stated that the hospital stuff is still missing. This includes the bed. I can't say much else to that statement.

The floor isn't wood - but you can't really tell with the light. I might make it a bit lighter, but in no way does it look ugly...

I will change the white roof thing...but I don't want a perfect sterile room for a reason. That reason is rather simply: Hisao more or less lives in this room. In a hospital owned by his parents. Of course, other rooms will be sterile - but it's an exception for Hisao. To show that this is more home than his real home to him.

How can it be too big if there is still stuff missing? Of course, it seems way too big right now, but that will change with the amount of stuff that will be placed inside there. :)

Thanks for the critic, but the sterile thing and the missing hospital stuff are things I'm aware of already. I will surely make the tile lighter and the roof black, though. :)

Your excuses aside, Id still cut down the width of the room by a few tiles.

I promise you, that floor is really ugly. It looks like wooden stairs. Change it
if you want, or leave it if you're fine with an ugly ass floor.

With how big your sprite is, that table is comically small. Consider raising the leg height.

You asked to make it look more hopsitally, not more like a kids room whose parents happen to own the hospital. Is he sick? Is it a regular room converted to his room? These things matter, but seriously that floor tile is making me want to puke.

@Dookie: It's not an excuse. The whole game is based on the fact that Hisao suffers from cancer since childhood. Read the games page, if you do not believe me. Cutting the room by one tile in width isn't a bad idea, though.

Thanks for the comparison between a butt and my floor tile, that surely is well spoken criticism. I like that floor tile. Even if that means that I like butts, apparently.

Oh, someone already mentioned the table thing! Didn't had time to change it for now, but I will do that sooner or later. :)

Yeah, I asked how to make it more hospital like. But I also wrote that there is still plenty of stuff missing. I know that you only want to help - but(t) comparing my tile to the bottom of a person is something I consider personal and not normal criticism.
unity
You're magical to me.
@Schwer-von-Begriff: I like the idea of the contrast of the more sterile medical machines against the more personal feel of the room.

I think your floor tile looks fine, personally, although the darker line every seven or so planks of wood seems a little odd, but not terrible.

And I don't think the white "roof" ceiling autotile looks bad either, but making it just a couple shades darker would make the room "pop" a little more.
author=Schwer-von-Begriff
@Mr_Detective:
Oh, it's supposed to be that dark! Since it's a horror game I am going for a dull and dark atmosphere - don't worry, the characters will have mobile phones etc. to make a steady light around them. I will implement a day and night system and want the nights to be really dark... And since it's in the middle of the night when Hisao awakens in his bed, it's only fitting to make the rest of the room really dark. It won't be that crazy dark everywhere, though. =)

It's actually a bit unusually dark at some place. Just because it's dark doesn't make the game scary. Look at the catastrophic brightness in Resident Evil 6. XD You might want to consider it, the lighting seems a little inconsistent. I am not really familiar with this sort of things, so maybe someone else can give better advice.

And as Dookie pointed out, I do think the main character looks too big compared to other objects, such as the bed, or the locker. :)
Maybe that wasnt the best comparison, Begriff. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that anyones "behind" would look far preferable to that tile choice.

Now thats just my opinion, and if you take that "personally" you might want to consider a different hobby and grow some thicker skin.

P.S. If you don't think that tile looks like stairs then we can just agree to disagree. (Seriously change it tho asap)

Now on to some more suggestions for ya.
I cant tell what that's supposed to be, next to the lockers, oh...OH....its a potted plant. I had to stand up and look from a top angle on my monitor to even make out the shape and it was still hard to decipher. Looked like some bags or something piled up. I dunno if its the lighting effect or what, but that's really hard to make out. (and dont say its supposed to be like that)

Then back to the scaling issues. Either shrink the sprites height, or everythings gotta be taller, man. Character is bigger than the doorframe. Taller than the lockers. Way bigger than that ridiculous table and chairs. The characters legs would poke out over the edge of the bed.

Unless your game is about a Giant who lives in a hospital I would make that priority one.
Thats a glaring cohesiveness problem that you need to address. It seriously takes 2 seconds to extend table legs in an image edit program, come on now.

: ) criticism is a good thing, and I would definitely say I'm being constructive. We're all here to help.

Guess I am not the only one who dislike the bright/darkness. :P

This is my first try at making a dark tinted map with light graphics. Is there anything weird or wrong? Anyway I can improve it? I noticed that the green board looks a little strange with this tint. :O
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
It would be nice if you had four or five different-shaped cracks instead of all of them being the same, but otherwise it's pretty good.

Is the blue and white thing centered above the chalkboard part of the location bar, or is it a window or something else?
author=LockeZ
It would be nice if you had four or five different-shaped cracks instead of all of them being the same, but otherwise it's pretty good.

I second this. Also, the location bar (I'm pretty sure it's the location bar, LockeZ) REALLY clashes with the map, imo. The bright blue looks weird next to the the dark browns and reds. but that's just my opinion

Edit: Also those computers look weird too being in a different style.
LockeZ
I'd really like to get rid of LockeZ. His play style is way too unpredictable. He's always like this too. If he ran a country, he'd just kill and imprison people at random until crime stopped.
author=wildwes
I second this. Also, the location bar (I'm pretty sure it's the location bar, LockeZ) REALLY clashes with the map, imo. The bright blue looks weird next to the the dark browns and reds. but that's just my opinion

I'm gonna disagree here and say it'd look weirder for it to be differently tinted in different areas. HUD elements really don't need to match the maps. They just need to fit the game.
Hm. I suppose you have a point LockeZ. I still think it looks a little strange but whatever.